• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo adds "Onett Times": EarthBound Announcement community to Miiverse.

This is pretty exciting. Hope it means big things.

What else could they possibly use this for? Even if they released Mother 3 as well, surely they wouldn't create this and set it aside just to use it to say "oh btw here's Mother 3 too."

But, I have been known to have too much faith in Nintendo.

Tunic

This is great news! I am excited to see what Nintendo can do with this. I have my fingers crossed for an official Mother 3 release.

Chrom

Isn't there a W101 Direct on August 1st? Which is thursday, actually

I know of a W101 Direct for next month but it wasn't to my knowledge that it'd be this Thursday. Interesting if true.

My biggest curiosity surrounding why I'm thinking there's one coming this Thursday is that NOE did not provide any Nintendo Download PR today, for the first time ever as far as I know.

Poor children...if anything, that post from Itoi means there absolutely will not ever be another Mother game. Very sad.

"*The Japanese word Mr. Itoi used here is “otsuya”. Similar to a wake, an otsuya is a Japanese tradition where relatives and friends are invited the night before the funeral ceremony to talk about their memories of the departed, and to mourn the loss over dinner and drinks in addition to prayer."

Shahadan

I know of a W101 Direct for next month but it wasn't to my knowledge that it'd be this Thursday. Interesting if true.

My biggest curiosity surrounding why I'm thinking there's one coming this Thursday is that NOE did not provide any Nintendo Download PR today, for the first time ever as far as I know.

I'm actually not sure I just have this in my mind for some reason and can't find where it comes from.

Riki

What else could they possibly use this for? Even if they released Mother 3 as well, surely they wouldn't create this and set it aside just to use it to say "oh btw here's Mother 3 too."

But, I have been known to have too much faith in Nintendo.

What if it's for a remake of one of them? That could be neat.

chrono01

My vision of the Announcement:

"To show our thanks to Mother 2/Earthbound fans around the world, we have decided to release Mother 3 translated into English for the very first time!

You might have noticed that Earthbound on the Virtual Console was priced slightly higher than other games located there. That is because you weren't simply buying one game...but two. That's right! To everyone that purchased Earthbound prior to the date that this is posted, you will be able to download Mother 3 for free. To everyone else, we will be dropping the price of Earthbound to $7.99 and the price of Mother 3 will be listed at the usual $5.99. More details including other regions and their prices will be unveiled soon.

We thank you again for your continued support with Mother/Earthbound. Please look forward to more upcoming announcements in the future!"

- Nintendo

...Now, let us see if that becomes reality.

Makonero

Earthbound Remake, in glorious stereoscopic 3D, completely redone with new graphics and new scenarios written by Shegasato Itoi. Only for the Nintendo 3DS!

Fandangox

Poor children...if anything, that post from Itoi means there absolutely will not ever be another Mother game. Very sad.

"*The Japanese word Mr. Itoi used here is “otsuya”. Similar to a wake, an otsuya is a Japanese tradition where relatives and friends are invited the night before the funeral ceremony to talk about their memories of the departed, and to mourn the loss over dinner and drinks in addition to prayer."

I don't think anyone actually expects Mother 4 to be made, I am pretty sure mostly everyone's expectations are in a localization/vc release for Mother 3 and EB0, or a remake if you are dreaming big.

Plus I am sure that comment of his in Miiverse is old, I have seen it somewhere else long ago.

The hype its strong in this one.

AniHawk

earthbound zero incoming

it makes sense. game's been translated for decades.

the only other thing i can imagine is mother trilogy as a $50, so that a $10 wii u vc game would still be a bargain, and people would still be forced to double-dip.

zeopower6

"To show our thanks to Mother 2/Earthbound fans around the world, we have decided to release Mother 3 translated into English for the very first time in North America!

You might have noticed that Earthbound on the Virtual Console was priced slightly higher than other games located there. That is because you weren't simply buying one game...but two. That's right! To everyone that purchased Earthbound prior to the date that this is posted, you will be able to download Mother 3 [titled "Earthbound 2 in North America"] for free. To everyone else, we will be dropping the price of Earthbound to $7.99 and the price of Mother 3/Earthbound 2 will be listed at the usual $5.99.

We thank you again for your continued support with Mother/Earthbound. Please look forward to more upcoming announcements in the future!"

- Nintendo

Don't they only offer free goodies if they mess up completely? And even then, it's usually really old free stuff.

I wonder how a Nintendo Mother 3 translation would stack up the the fanmade one. I would imagine there would be some debate on how to handle the magypsies.
Well, they'd probably be aiming for a T rating, given Earthbound's been bumped up to that. Under an E rating, Magypsies might've been pushing things a bit. Under a T, they could probably get away with them uncut.

Chrom

I'm actually not sure I just have this in my mind for some reason and can't find where it comes from.

I see. I want to say I don't think will be a W101 Direct on Thursday if only because Ninty would probably never have it on the same day as a whole other ND that I think might happen instead.

By the way, I should mention that the last time NOE withheld such a big announcement from their Monday morning PR update was the same week we got EarthBound. Something similar might happen here, methinks.

"To show our thanks to Mother 2/Earthbound fans around the world, we have decided to release Mother 3 translated into English for the very first time in North America!

You might have noticed that Earthbound on the Virtual Console was priced slightly higher than other games located there. That is because you weren't simply buying one game...but two. That's right! To everyone that purchased Earthbound prior to the date that this is posted, you will be able to download Mother 3 [titled "Earthbound 2 in North America"] for free. To everyone else, we will be dropping the price of Earthbound to $7.99 and the price of Mother 3/Earthbound 2 will be listed at the usual $5.99.

- Nintendo

Desire is the root of all suffering

zroid

Banned
I know there's a Smash Bros. community, but EarthBound related Smash Bros. announcements could get posted in this new one too you know. This could just be for things like that...

I'm mostly just trying to keep my own hype in check though.

If anything, the most realistic anti-hype scenario is if the community is just for Itoi to make posts in to communicate with fans. He did the same thing for the Japanese release, although I don't remember if there was a specific community at the time.

Joqu

"To show our thanks to Mother 2/Earthbound fans around the world we have decided to release Mother 3 translated into English for the very first time in North America!

thanks nintendo

earthbound zero incoming

it makes sense. game's been translated for decades.

the only other thing i can imagine is mother trilogy as a $50, so that a $10 wii u vc game would still be a bargain, and people would still be forced to double-dip.

It makes more sense than Mother 3 really, I doubt Nintendo would use someone else's translation, no matter how good it is.

nullset2

Holy shit, Nintendo finally giving a damn about the Mother series.

itshappening.gif
MOTHER 3!!!!! NINTENDO~!!!! DO IT!

Chrom

If anything, the most realistic anti-hype scenario is if the community is just for Itoi to make posts in to communicate with fans. He did the same thing for the Japanese release, although I don't remember if there was a specific community at the time.

Yeah, there was one. I forget what it was called but it was separate from the Mother 2 community and it was just Itoi posting in it.

qq more

- Nintendo

Now that you've said it, it won't ever happen!

I'm already enjoying the superb Mother 3 fan translation at the moment, at this point I hope they move on and announce a new game.

For the first time. For the very first time, my hopes have been raised that announcements for this series are on the horizon.

I don't expect Mother 4, but I'd shed a tear if Mother 3 was localised and offered on Virtual Console. We've heard that they're localising Mystery of Murasame Castle for VC, so there is precedent, albeit of an entirely different scale.

dc89

Announcement community?
Announcement. Community.

Who do I purchase my hype train ticket from and how much?

Tenki

Tom posted on the community:

Hi readers, this is Tom, the deputy editor of Onett Times.

Has anyone finished the game on VC yet? If you did that's great, and if you're in the middle or haven't yet started, I hope you'll enjoy the journey.

To help you on your way, a digital version of the Player's Guide that was first released on print when the original game came out, is now available for your reference. Hit the link or the blue globe below to take a gander. It has been optimized for the Wii U GamePad, so I think it'll come in handy.

http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAD4UV52ollCtA

Earthbound 3D.
They keep the 3 from Mother 3, the US title, and a new 3DS game is made.
Simple.

Oh, and they release Earthbound Zero because I want them to.

Top Bottom