• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Timbuktu

They gave no fucks about Dorne on the show. None.

They messed up Dorne in season 5 then piled on more mistakes in Season 6 by trying to rub it out of existence. Now I think they will just pretend exist and Dorne will survive the whole war again, with a large army that stays untouched because others have forgotten about them.

Really, who's running dorne at this point?

dabig2

I can't believe how big of a jobber Hotah was.

Like I was hyping him up as this cool, calm, collected giant protecting Doran.

Then...just...gone. No good scenes at all.

This and Barristan Selmy is part of why I will always vociferously hate S5. Not even Hardhome can save that season.

dabig2

Not him in particular, but how it all played out, arresting Loras, the excuse they had to hold Margery was lame. That stuff.

Yeah, all of that was so unbelievable garbage. And it was evident from the beginning that they were going to drag this out for the entirety of S6 just to set up the finale. Ayatollah Bernie Sanders was amusing and I like the actor, but everything going on KL in S5/S6 was just straight garbage. I actually started to miss Dorne's fuckery midway through S6.

Ugly is evil. Duh.
the dragons are pretty fuckin ugly too.
Because the creators designed them that way.
giphy.gif

Gigglepoo

So fAegon is clearly not why he says he is. Is there any way the show has a fake Targaryan plot? I know there aren't Blackfyres in the show and the line of succession doesn't really matter, but I thought that was an important storyline. Plus, it ties into that famous "Power resides where people think it resides" conversation.

jfkgoblue

So fAegon is clearly not why he says he is. Is there any way the show has a fake Targaryan plot? I know there aren't Blackfyres in the show and the line of succession doesn't really matter, but I thought that was an important storyline. Plus, it ties into that famous "Power resides where people think it resides" conversation.
It's too late at this point, prior to the last episode, I thought Jon may take Aegon's spot, but since he's already meeting Dany, I doubt it.

High Sparrow couldn't have been Howland Reed. Howland Reed would be in his mid-late 40s like Jamie. High Sparrow looks far older than 50.

I think there was lost opportunity to have Howland Reed show up at Winterfell when Jon is chosen as king. Even if he doesn't reveal Jon's parentage, just having him there would have been a great foreshadowing.

Imagine if instead of Littlefinger in the crypt, Howland shows up and just talks about Ned's honor.

*chills*

giphy.gif

I'd imagine it's something to do with them not wanting the Others to appear too fantastical, especially in those early seasons. They're basically the Elves of ASoIaF, beautiful and ethereal with weapons and armour made of ice. To me they seem like an actual race of beings in the books, whereas the show basically casts them as unstoppable, corrupted humans.

I guess it's easier to buy them having no real motive beyond spreading death if they're handled the way the show does, but I'm still holding out hope there's more to them in the books.

I can't believe how big of a jobber Hotah was.

Like I was hyping him up as this cool, calm, collected giant protecting Doran.

Then...just...gone. No good scenes at all.

Man Hotah was such a disappointment. They didn't even give him any real fight scenes except for that really badly choreographed apprehension of the Sand Snakes. And then he gets shanked by a knife the size of a finger.

I'm even more disappointed they didn't put Siddig to a better use, either. I was so excited about his casting because Doran is one of my favourite characters in the books, and Siddig is a fantastic actor, and then he gets to say like 3 lines before getting a shiv.

Don't let me even start about the political situation that would have kicked off - I made a massive post about that in the season thread when it happened, so no need to stir that up again.

I dunno I think the dragons are pretty cute, but then again I love reptiles so idk.

This and Barristan Selmy is part of why I will always vociferously hate S5. Not even Hardhome can save that season.

They can go fuck themselves forever for what they did to Barristan. He's one of the greatest fighters in all of Westeros and he jobs in an alley to some guys with knives.

Faddy

Banned
They can go fuck themselves forever for what they did to Barristan. He's one of the greatest fighters in all of Westeros and he jobs in an alley to some guys with knives.

He was an old man who hadn't had a proper fight in years and was vastly outnumbered.

Poor Barry, no plot armour for you.

Such BS! So annoyed by that. No way he should have died by a bunch of jobbers with knives. He should have sailed to Westeros.

Any swordfighter knows that when facing enemies front and behind you, find cover so they cannot attack from behind. All Selmy had to do was get near a wall and defend his position. He has a sword, they have knives and can't even fight.

Such a waste to have him die like that.

CloudWolf

Even Barristan's actor was pissed about that. He did an interview after his death where he openly criticized D&D for killing him off, even citing the book.

Oh right

Doesnt one of the Stark ancestors fuck a white walker in the books lore, thus the theory that a stark is the night king, thus that amazing fanart for the night kings ASoFAI wikia?

So it makes sense the WW are attractive in the book

Gigglepoo

GRRM supposedly told them how the story would kind of play out and end so they could finish the show.

Yup, they've known the how the story wraps up since before the show even began. So they've had a decade to figure out how to move the pieces, set up character motivations, and resolve complex plots.

He was an old man who hadn't had a proper fight in years and was vastly outnumbered.

Poor Barry, no plot armour for you.

I imagine the kings guard would regularly practice?

When he drew his sword in the scene where he was dismissed the entire room shat themselves. That alone should be telling.

This was another case of bollocks writing in the show.

God damn, just remembered black fish' death.

He's just as old of a man in the books, but handles himself quite admirably during the Hand's Tournament, kills several gold cloaks while unarmored and unarmed during his exit from King's Landing, and beats the Titan's Bastard to death with a walking stick.

In the show- nah. He's just a boastful old cripple, his raison d'etre is to be Dany's sworn protecter (despite never protecting her) and her advisor (despite the fact she ignores his advice at every turn). As for his glorious death scene: the whole thing is so contrived it hurts to even do a play-by-play on it. He conveniently goes for a stroll right before the Harpy attack. Then, upon hearing the city alarm sounding, instead of hurrying back to the throne room to ensure Dany's safety as he's bound by oath to do, he inexplicably goes sprinting into the darkest alley he can find looking for a street fight. The whole thing's just ridiculous.

If the show runners hated Barristan's guts and thought he was a worthless turd, I don't know how they would have written him any differently.

Brakke

Banned
Oh right

Doesnt one of the Stark ancestors fuck a white walker in the books lore, thus the theory that a stark is the night king, thus that amazing fanart for the night kings ASoFAI wikia?

So it makes sense the WW are attractive in the book

Kinda. Book!NK and Show!NK are completely different things.

In the book, the legend of the Night King is that a (I think Stark) Lord Commander of the Night's Watch shacked up with a lady from beyond the wall with icy skin and pale blue eyes, ie matching a White Walker description. And then he tried to establish a kingdom with her or whatever before the Stark in Winterfell marches up and bops him. But if the legend is true it obviously can't be the origin of the Others -- why would there even be a Night's Watch Lord Commander before the White Walkers are established as a threat?

The Night King in the show is apparently the very first White Walker, created by the Children in their war against the First Men.

Meanwhile, it's all kinda fuzzy because we've never for sure seen a female White Walker in either the show or the book. In fact, the way the Walkers take Craster's sons only as tribute might imply there are no female Walkers at all? Or perhaps there's only one?

Brakke

Banned
Not to go off-topic too much, but what is up with all this "jobber" stuff? I've never seen this and suddenly I see it all across GAF.

It's a wrestling term for someone who loses to a guy just to establish the other guy's cred. When the company has a new up-and-comer they want to push, they pull out some nobodies to lose to him so the new guy can have a solid record of wins. As in, you're not out here to be a star, you're just doing a job.

It's sort of derogatory. Like you're not living up to your potential or even giving it your all. Just there as a piece on the board to be shuffled off when necessary. If someone uses it in a non-wrestling context it's a slight because it implies the writing is as transparent as slapdash wrestling writing.

Me at work after the Selmy episode.

"Nah, he ain't dead. He's too bad ass to die like that. He's just hurt badly."

Next episode starts with his funeral.

Oh...

Faddy

Banned
He's just as old of a man in the books, but handles himself quite admirably during the Hand's Tournament, kills several gold cloaks while unarmored and unarmed during his exit from King's Landing, and beats the Titan's Bastard to death with a walking stick.

In the show- nah. He's just a boastful old cripple, his raison d'etre is to be Dany's sworn protecter (despite never protecting her) and her advisor (despite the fact she ignores his advice at every turn). As for his glorious death scene: the whole thing is so contrived it hurts to even do a play-by-play on it. He conveniently goes for a stroll right before the Harpy attack. Then, upon hearing the city alarm sounding, instead of hurrying back to the throne room to ensure Dany's safety as he's bound by oath to do, he inexplicably goes sprinting into the darkest alley he can find looking for a street fight. The whole thing's just ridiculous.

If the show runners hated Barristan's guts and thought he was a worthless turd, I don't know how they would have written him any differently.

So he is less anime in the show.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Meanwhile, it's all kinda fuzzy because we've never for sure seen a female White Walker in either the show or the book. In fact, the way the Walkers take Craster's sons only as tribute might imply there are no female Walkers at all? Or perhaps there's only one?

wildling%20cheiftaness.jpg

Brakke

Banned
So he is less anime in the show.

My point is there's no "he". Book!NK was beaten (and presumably killed) like 900+ Lord Commanders before Jon. He ruled from the Nightfort, south of the wall. I don't think the show guy is supposed to match the book legend so much as they just took a cool name for the show from a legend of the North in the books. As far as we know, the book Others don't even have a hierarchy.

That's a wight.

Faddy

Banned
My point is there's no "he". Book!NK was beaten (and presumably killed) like 900+ Lord Commanders before Jon. He ruled from the Nightfort, south of the wall. I don't think the show guy is supposed to match the book legend so much as they just took a cool name for the show from a legend of the North in the books. As far as we know, the book Others don't even have a hierarchy.

That's a wight.

Sorry pressed the wrong quote button, supposed to be the post above yours about Barristan

Moff

How the heck is Martin gonna work with what happened to Jon Snow???

he will very likely be ressurrected by Melisandra as well, most of the readers expected that immediately when they read he died, which is why it was poorly written in my opinion.

but why would Martin have any problems "working" with this?

Mediking

he will very likely be ressurrected by Melisandra as well, most of the readers expected that immediately when they read he died, which is why it was poorly written in my opinion.

but why would Martin have any problems "working" with this?

I think Jon is never coming back. That finale was written pretty powerfully. He just made the decision to leave the Wall and figure out his family situation.

Then everybody on the Wall betrays him and kills him.

He got Ned Starked. He's over.

Top Bottom