• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check your tap water- a new database shows you the water quality via zip code

qjSon93.png

My area has more cancer than flint?!

TrounceX

No surprises here, the small suburban town in Minnesota that I grew up in tested way below state and national averages for every category.

Now I live in a big city in Texas and it's cancer city. Probably because these geniuses don't have any tax revenue to deal with it, or even more likely, completely deny the science. I hate this state.

okno

New York here.

Drinking 6 contaminants that all cause cancer.

Yay.

Yep, ditto. Was quite surprised to see this, as NYC has some of the best tap water in the country.

My house in the Catskills has absolutely pristine water according to this, though, so, yay.

So this statement on pretty much all the summaries of the contaminents:

...is formed when chlorine or other disinfectants are used to treat drinking water. Dibromochloromethane and other disinfection byproducts increase the risk of cancer and may cause problems during pregnancy.

So, all these cancer agents are being put in intentionally as part of the cleaning (disinfection) process of the water itself. Not surprisingly, the well water people won't see this because their water is coming straight from the earth.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bromodichloromethane
cancer

Chlorate
harm to the thyroid

Chloroform
cancer

Chromium (hexavalent)
cancer

Dibromochloromethane
cancer

Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs)
cancer

Hormones
Ethinyl estradiol, 4-Androstene-3,17-dione & Testosterone.
----------------------------------

Philly

Detected 6 contaminants above health guidelines and 18 other contaminants. Even worse than I was expecting.
Arsenic (Cancer)
Chromium (Cancer)
Dibromochloromethane (Cancer)
Nitrate (Cancer)
Radiological contaminants (Cancer)
Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs) (Cancer)

ash321

Detected 6 contaminants above health guidelines and 18 other contaminants. Even worse than I was expecting.
Arsenic (Cancer)
Chromium (Cancer)
Dibromochloromethane (Cancer)
Nitrate (Cancer)
Radiological contaminants (Cancer)
Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs) (Cancer)

Let me guess, Philly

taybul

Bromodichloromethane
cancer

Chlorate
harm to the thyroid

Chloroform
cancer

Chromium (hexavalent)
cancer

Dibromochloromethane
cancer

Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs)
cancer

Hormones
Ethinyl estradiol, 4-Androstene-3,17-dione & Testosterone.
----------------------------------

Philly

Damn, Philly only has 5 cancers?

Grym

Wellp....I hope Erin Brockovich visits my town soon :/

I got 2 cancers and a "harm to the immune system and changes in mammary gland development"

jph139

Hmm, the same site sells water filters, wonder if there's any possible motivation for them to present these numbers in the most scaremongering way they can think of...

MLCodest

5 contaminants sounded very bad at first, but when looking at the amount, they are way below state/national levels, and only a little over the health guideline. That makes me feel a little better personally, but something needs to be done about the US's water infrastructure.

Al-ibn Kermit

FYI, this should be added to OP:

First, I should disclose that I work in the Water Quality department of a major California water company so I am literally defending myself here but this site seems to be tracking your water quality versus the Public Health Goal (PHG), which is intended to be an ambitious goal that is often below the detection limit in the laboratory (meaning there isn't a laboratory method that measures that low). I just did a quick glance to confirm that the numbers on the website do match what you'd find in the publicly available Consumer Confidence Report but just comparing against the PHG and not the legal limits seems to be confusing for the consumer.....

What you should actually be worried about is if you water quality is above the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) which does not seem to be listed on this site. While the PHG is the level at which they can confirm that there is no health risk at all, the MCL is tje limit at which if you drink that water everyday for 80 years then you have about a 1 in a million chance of developing cancer from it. The MCL is also the limit that is enforceable.

And for the poster that mentioned being safe due to having a well, unfortunately that's going to have worse water quality due to not being treated, tested, etc. We get almost all our water from wells and it's usually pretty nasty in its raw form.

I'm fucked. My father lost all three of his sisters to some type of cancer.

I don't have a healthy diet. There must be all kinds of poisons and toxic crap in my system.

Top Bottom