• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

I haven't followed this at all. Is this correct:

Fans think two characters in a show should be a couple. They are just friends though. They make a joke about this in a Comic Con panel which causes outrage among the shippers in question. One of them makes a thread on gaf

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This basically happened in Korra, until the people just gave in to the fanbase and threw a bone to the fandom in the final scene.

I was honestly offended by this. No, not by the song/joke. Offended that someone thought they needed to apologize for it. They didn't deserve an apology, or any recognition for that matter.

Ralemont

not me

Fans think two characters in a show should be a couple. They are just friends though. They make a joke about this in a Comic Con panel which causes outrage among the shippers in question. One of them makes a thread on gaf

Also of note is these shippers co-opting LGBT struggles to disguise the absurd nature of their outrage

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hey guys....... did you know that Samurai Jack and Johnny Bravo are gay and in love with each other?

I was expecting someway way worse from the thread title.

This feels like people taking some light hearted comments way to seriously. As someone who tries to generally stay away from shipping, it makes me sad to hear that actors get harnessed over various pairing.

The whole point of head canon is that it's in your head. Picture and fantasize about whatever you want, but don't force those views onto other people.

Ban Puncher

giphy.gif

The cast shouldn't have apologized. People who ship or whatever the fuck don't need to be acknowledged with an apology. I did like the guys obviously fake (and subtle "fuck you") apology.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't watch Supergirl anymore and didn't know there was a massive ship involving Supergirl with a women but honestly reading the complaints I kind of understand why they're upset. I think people are looking at it purely from an entitlement POV and not one where LGBT ships are constantly looked down on for having support meanwhile any straight ship will never get that kind of treatment.

Don't get me wrong, shippers can be extremely entitled(Olicity is the worst thing to ever exist) but I honestly think people don't understand how important representation is for LGBT fans and when they're active in support of a pairing you don't need to shoot the pairing down by mocking it.

CloudWolf

Shit like this is why Olicity became a thing. The actor has nothing to apologize for, the CW superhero show fanbase is the worst.

The essential premise behind the complaint is that if it were a man and a woman who were very, very close and sent each other flowers, the cast wouldn't be as inclined to make a joke about the possibility they could get together because, hell, if your show runs long enough (especially on the CW) just about any guy and girl might get together if they have chemistry because you have to leave the door open to keeping it interesting. But anyone with half a brain knows that Lena and Kara are never getting together. Surely all the shippers know that too.

Don't be so sure about that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The essential premise behind the complaint is that if it were a man and a woman who were very, very close and sent each other flowers, the cast wouldn't be as inclined to make a joke about the possibility they could get together because, hell, if your show runs long enough (especially on the CW) just about any guy and girl might get together if they have chemistry because you have to leave the door open to keeping it interesting. But anyone with half a brain knows that Lena and Kara are never getting together. Surely all the shippers know that too.

And we all know the reason that would never, ever happen is they are never going to make Supergirl date a woman. Ever. We know that's a big part of what makes this different.

A lot of the people who ship Lena with Kara are themselves bisexual and lesbian women and that is why something clearly intended as a light playful joke feels personal to many of them. Because it is an acknowledgement of what we all already know, that the idea of a Supergirl who would have that in common with them is so absurd and unlikely that it's really only laughable. It's impossible. It's never going to happen.

But I also think the extreme response some of these same people have directed at the entire cast for this is a pretty clear demonstration of why they might be inclined to make such a joke in the first place.

I don't watch Supergirl anymore and didn't know there was a massive ship involving Supergirl with a women but honestly reading the complaints I kind of understand why they're upset. I think people are looking at it purely from an entitlement POV and not one where LGBT ships are constantly looked down on for having support meanwhile any straight ship will never get that kind of treatment.

Don't get me wrong, shippers can be extremely entitled(Olicity is the worst thing to ever exist) but I honestly think people don't understand how important representation is for LGBT fans and when they're active in support of a pairing you don't need to shoot the pairing down by mocking it.
Yep.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising to me that so many in the thread don't understand this is the issue for the fans. It isn't exactly about shipping, but it ended up being a venue for their frustration.

I don't watch Supergirl and I haven't followed this situation, but I'm gay and I can perfectly understand the way this kind of thing can make people feel about themselves.

netguy503

Thank you to Wazzy and Fuu.

Futureman

People not knowing the term is surprising but I guess it just means I'm a huge nerd who has been on the internet too long. *Fondly recalls reading Buffy/Faith and Angel/Spike slash fiction 20 years ago*

I promise you the vast majority of people out there have no clue what "ship" means. I had no idea until this thread.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How about the actors themselves go into where their characters stand...

https://youtu.be/StOs-GxkwB0?t=1160

I've skipped the video to the question about Lena/Kara... They talk about actually being good friends and showing a normal, supportive friendship that isn't about jealousy or caty-ness on TV.

Ralemont

not me

If this was people mocking an LGBT pairing between LGBT characters, this would have more weight.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Shit like this is why Olicity became a thing. The actor has nothing to apologize for, the CW superhero show fanbase is the worst.

No. It's not. The absurd S1 chemistry between Amell and Rickard is why Olicity became a thing. If Amell and Willa weren't playing brother and sister, they'd have been paired together as well.

As for this... well, Smallville spent ten years being ambiguous over Lex and Clark. And that was blatantly intentional by both actors. Ludicrously so.

eizarus

Banned
Cant we just agree that all shippers who get offended that a cast member joked at their obsessive desire to realise their head cannon regardless of orientation are batshit crazy and don't deserve any apology.
The writers have a story to tell. It's their story. Why do you, shipper, feel that your "creative input" must be akcnlowedge. Just because you have a voice doesn't mean it has to be heard.
Fuck Olicity. That shit got so stale

netguy503

No. It's not. The absurd S1 chemistry between Amell and Rickard is why Olicity became a thing. If Amell and Willa weren't playing brother and sister, they'd have been paired together as well.

As for this... well, Smallville spent ten years being ambiguous over Lex and Clark. And that was blatantly intentional by both actors. Ludicrously so.

Ollie gets around. No one is safe.

Wazzy

Banned
Do people mock LGBT ships between LGBT characters?
Are we referring to creators or people in general?

If it's people then there's people in this thread already doing it. If it's creators, I would say Glee was another example of where this kind of mocking happened towards LGBT pairings.
Cant we just agree that all shippers who get offended that a cast member joked at their obsessive desire to realise their head cannon regardless of orientation are batshit crazy and don't deserve any apology.
The writers have a story to tell. It's their story. Why do you, shipper, feel that your "creative input" must be akcnlowedge. Just because you have a voice doesn't mean it has to be heard.
Fuck Olicity. That shit got so stale

No one is denying they have a story to tell but let's not act like creators won't totally switch their stories to appeal to fans, especially when it involves popular straight ships. This is the problem with representation, if people don't speak out it's just not going to happen.

Ideally they would just continue their original plans but that's not how a lot of popular shows work. CW in particular.

ItIsOkBro

the only thing that stops me from thinking this is correct is the fact that this is a thing

stupei

I actually do think there's something specific to the way a lot of networks, but the CW especially, pressure their actors to interact with fans and cater to shipping to such a degree in order to inflate ratings and encourage live tweeting levels of engagement -- you can influence the show, but only if you watch it live every week! -- in order to keep their shows alive that's really unhealthy for everyone involved. Some fans really do seem to buy into this idea that their tweets must matter so much. If they're keeping the show on the air (which shows insist on all the time), then surely those same tweets must be enough to keep their ship afloat too, etc. And that's precisely what the networks want them to think.

But it seems shitty to the actors who have to deal with that deliberately amped up intensity as well as the fans who get way too invested in how the show views their ship specifically because that's how emotionally involved the shows want them to be. It seems like a really unsustainable model but I don't know what the solution really is. Not everyone can be Netflix.

Nah. Every LGBTQ person knows you can't have two gay couples on your show at once. It'd be total anarchy!

RangerX

Banned
What the hell is a shipper?. I'm actually confused as to what's going on. One of the actors sang a song saying some characters weren't together?

Ray Down

Banned
What the hell is a shipper?. I'm actually confused as to what's going on. One of the actors sang a song saying some characters weren't together?

A shipper is a person that want two characters to get together.

It's either because they are close and just want them to jump over to being in love...or just think they look hot and want them to bang all day.

- J - D -

Sure, Katie Mcgrath and Melissa Benoit have such insane chemistry together, but this whole shipper frustration around this is silly. It's silly!

abundant

Shippers = fans who create a relationship between two fictional characters from a TV show/video game/etc.

Wazzy

Banned
Who? What LGBT pairing between LGBT characters is being mocked?

Korra/Asami was disregarded as being a last minute thing by someone in this thread and it's something I've seen quite a lot from Avatar fans who are unhappy it exists.

Again, representation is incredibly important. If people don't speak out a lot of times it's not going to happen. This applies not just to the LGBT community but minorities and women as well. I'm not in any shape or form trying to say the creators need to acknowledge the pairing as an actual option. All I'm saying is when it comes to LGBT representation which still isn't the greatest in media, that they be more mindful of how they handle the community. I mean it's really not hard to just shoot down the pairing normally or ignore it all together.

I've brought up Glee previously. That show was probably one of the worst appeal to the fans I've ever seen. But guess which pairings, even setup by the creators, had to vocally be the loudest to get any acknowledgement?

Wazzy

Banned
It's also really not hard to not lose your shit when all the castmembers make a light-hearted song blurting out "they're just friends".

I would normally agree with you. As I've said, shippers are super entitled and I know. I've been part of some of the biggest fandoms full of them. I just think you're looking at it purerly from the shipping POV that people are angry their pairing got shot down(which obviously who gives a shit about these peoples hurt feelings) and not the side that people are upset that the LB pairing was mocked and not all the other straight ones.

I don't watch Supergirl anymore and honestly do not care at all that this pairing isn't going to happen(especially because I thought Jimmy and Kara would have been really nice) I'm just weighing in from what I think is a lot of these peoples feelings.

Ray Down

Banned
Like if it's something that you keep to yourself, who cares.

But when you ship REAL people and attack others for not support it, fuck off.

Or in anime community think the show is crap for not going that direction.

Top Bottom