• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

No Mario Galaxy? Huge fail.

I assume the list is one game from each series only which is good imo. I always hated reading through the ign lists and its cluttered with a top 10 of "FF 6, FF7, FFX".

Actually to be honest, this is one of the better lists ive read.

Mass Effect 3

vomit.gif

joedick

It seems only one of each franchise was allowed. Could've been worse.

Well, they have Super Mario Bros and Mario 64, so I don't know if that's the case.

Lots of huge omissions, but I guess it's getting harder and harder to pick 'just' 100 games. I'm kinda surprised by the subdued reaction here, usually these lists lead to meltdown. Maybe it's too early.

spekkeh

Banned
Wii Sports may have been iconic and important, but AS A GAME it is shallow and leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah but it seems clear to me they went for iconic games or 'game changers'. I can definitely see why they went with Wii Sports instead of Galaxy, given they already have Mario 64 (even though I'd rate Galaxy a lot higher as a game). I'd say the only notable omission in that respect is Zelda OoT (stuff like auto jump, z-targeting, apart from being one of the best games ever). And Starcraft should've been Warcraft 2, but they may have had a possible Asian demographic in mind.

I would've personally placed Unreal Tournament instead of Quake, Secret of Mana instead of Chrono Trigger, etc. But this list is surprisingly good regardless.

Zia

I hate lists that include a bunch of games because of their historical significance. It's like a best films list including a bunch of Edison shorts. Who wants to play Pong and Space Invaders ahead of Virtua Tennis and Space Invaders Extreme?

Ifrit

They seem to go by the mentality that you see sometimes where there can only be one or two games listed from a series. It never makes sense because certain series have quite a few games that should be on a top 100 list. Nearly every main Mario game could be on a top 100 list.

And the lack of racing games on this list is absolutely insane.

But there's Super Mario Bros. AND Super Mario 64

Jarlaxle

It looks more like a list of landmark games rather than top 100 games. Even still, there are copious amounts of missing games on this list (LTTP, OOT, FFVI...) but then agian, any list will have things missing from it for someone.

I see that they've tried to limit it to one game per franchise, but that basically invalidates the list. Sequels like Ocarina and Resident Evil 4 may not have been as influential as Legend of Zelda or the original Resident Evil, but both are more influential than huge chunks of the rest of the list.

and no Monkey Island? really TIME? REALLY?

Kusagari

One of the shittiest lists ever.

Looks like they just cobbled together a list of the most influential games ever, but then they have shit like Mass Effect 3 on there. And OoT is more influential than half the games on there.

2San

It seems the list doesn't want to mention to many games from the same franchise. It's kinda baffeling how many gaffers don't notice this, but hate on I guess.

Gears of War but no Resident Evil 4?
Gears of War series is pretty great and unique in how it plays MP wise. RE1 is already on the list.

I generally like it. It's hard to argue against most of the games in terms of cultural impact and influencing the market in general. Even ME3 (and Oblivion) could be symbolic of modern games.

Surely noone wants to play Wizardry over BG2, but BG2 had a very small influence over anything. Wizardy (and Ultima) created a genre.

The only gamechanger I'm missing on that list is Elite. I mean, come on!

And yeah, not having Final Fantasy 5-12, ten Super Marios and ten Zeldas makes this list better.

Gears of War series is pretty great and unique in how it plays MP wise. It seems the list doesn't want to mention to many games from the same franchise. RE1 is already on the list.

which is why it is stupid. the two games may exist in the same 'franchise' but are both incredibly different and were both highly influential in different ways.

Ain't no Ocarina on here. Even playing the 3DS version recently has made me realize just how perfect a game it is. For it not to be on the list...smh.

2San

which is why it is stupid. the two games may exist in the same 'franchise' but are both incredibly different and were both highly influential in different ways.
It's not really stupid, it allows for a more diverse and interesting list imo.

Andrew.

Banned
Ive seen so many shit lists that I guess I feel kind of indifferent about this one. I like that they went all the way back to the 70's and covered classics that you would never, ever see on actual gaming site lists.

Still though, ME3, no sign of Journey or Ocarina or Galaxy. Things like that just simply irk me, even if I'm not a fan of said games (though I am)

Roubjon

It's not horrible and most of the choices make sense, but I find it odd that Journey isn't on there. Also Ocarina of Time is pretty much a given.

Zia

Well, I'm sure you're not alone, but that's still an outlying opinion.

My point is, if we ever want to build a real canon, or a popular bedrock to which we can point to and say, "Start here," then people have to get away from propping up games because they were popular, or created a genre, or whatever.

Kusagari

Who cares about the list being diverse? The list should say what they actually think are the top 100 games of all time - regardless of number from each franchise. Not put dumb limiters.

Instead we have shit like Metroid on the list over Super Metroid or Prime, no Ocarina, no Galaxy, etc.

It allows for a list missing the 7 highest reviewed games of all time according to game rankings. I mean, no top 100 list should just be based on review scores, but you've probably fucked up if the 7 best reviewed games of all time aren't in your list.

It might not be 'interesting' to you that RE4 and Ocarina of Time are more influential than Gears of War, say... but to disqualify them both because two very different games were in the same franchise is bonkers.

demidar

I thought it was an okay list, couple of omissions but whatever. Then I saw Mass Effect 3. Another terrible ending.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The list makes a lot of sense if you know what they are going for. The only head scratcher is Mass Effect 3.

2San

Who cares about the list being diverse? The list should say what they actually think are the top 100 games of all time - regardless of number from each franchise. Not put dumb limiters.

Instead we have shit like Metroid on the list over Super Metroid or Prime, no Ocarina, no Galaxy, etc.
I like it that way, apparently the creators who made that list as well.

Dunno what's so offensive about that.
It allows for a list missing the 7 highest reviewed games of all time according to game rankings. I mean, no top 100 list should just be based on review scores, but you've probably fucked up if the 7 best reviewed games of all time aren't in your list.
So first you use gamerankings as argument and then you detract it yourself. Interesting logic you have there.
It might not be 'interesting' to you that RE4 and Ocarina of Time are more influential than Gears of War, say... but to disqualify them both because two very different games were in the same franchise is bonkers.
Oot wouldn't make the list either way then. It's not very different from the other games. You may have point with RE, but I'd rather have a more diverse list with more different franchises.

Top Bottom