• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

gnexus

My LTE Watch just shipped from Verizon early! I had an expected date of 10/11, but it looks like it'll be here on Wednesday.

I'm pumped!

killroy87

THink my partner is going to get me a Series 3 watch for my bday in October, super stoked!

I don't need the LTE, will get the 42 mm. Tried the 38, looks a bit small on my wrist.

Choosing which color to get has been an ordeal, but I think I've landed on the gold one. It seems to be the most versatile when paired with various colored bands.

NYR

My Series 3 LTE just went 12 hours with only losing 19-20% battery life. Insane.

My Series 0 would be down a good 40% by now.
I wore my series 3 for nearly 10 hours today and I still had high 70%ish when I went to take it off. Nice little surprise, battery life is great.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
For those with surprisingly good battery life on the S3... .... .... are you using LTE at all? I'm really struggling to believe these claims.

It's not that crazy

The battery in the S3 is 40% larger than the one in the S0/S1, plus the wireless chip is more efficient. If you don't use stuff like the GPS or LTE, or even the brighter screen (indoor use), it's not that surprising you will get much better battery life

All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) usage includes connection to iPhone via Bluetooth during the entire 18-hour test. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) usage includes a total of 4 hours of LTE connection and 14 hours of connection to iPhone via Bluetooth over the course of 18 hours.

For those with surprisingly good battery life on the S3... .... .... are you using LTE at all? I'm really struggling to believe these claims.
It depends.

I had a few meetings where I left my phone completely at my desk and thus it switched to LTE.

(My Watch doesn’t use work WiFi due to it being secure and require hoops to sign in)

So yeah, I used LTE for data on notifications a few times. I also used it for using for about 20-30 minutes with my AirPods.

Also find it bizarre that people would just claim 3 people on GAF are randomly lying.

Used it a bunch more tonight. Some Siri stuff while outside on LTE and some inside with wifi/phone

Currently usage on my Watch app says the following..

Time Since Full Last Charge
Usage: 2 hours 51 minutes
Standby: 16 hours 7 minutes

71% battery remaining on my Apple Watch Series 3.

Daffy Duck

How did it manage that?

The imprint of the case has imprinted on the back of my phone.

So now I have this pattern on the back of my phone.

XGjfmtTb.jpg

Somehow as well (I have had the phone two years now) and it's spent all but 1 week of it's life when I first got it in this case and back is screwed, alomost like it's been rubbed off.

I'm pretty pissed! The last Spigen case I had on my 5S kept my phone in mint condition for two years, to the point of when I traded it in the chap behind the counter asked me if I had even used it.

XGjfmtTb.jpg

Somehow as well (I have had the phone two years now) and it's spent all but 1 week of it's life when I first got it in this case and back is screwed, alomost like it's been rubbed off.

I'm pretty pissed! The last Spigen case I had on my 5S kept my phone in mint condition for two years, to the point of when I traded it in the chap behind the counter asked me if I had even used it.

Just checked and my case had done the same thing, but I was able to clean it all of with my shirt pretty quickly. Does yours not come off? That'd be really weird.

Daffy Duck

Just checked and my case had done the same thing, but I was able to clean it all of with my shirt pretty quickly. Does yours not come off? That'd be really weird.

I've tried cleaning it with a wet cloth, and whilst that makes it look like it's gone it re-appears when it's dry.

XGjfmtTb.jpg

Have the same case, been on my 7 Plus jet black and now on my 8 Plus, no issues what so ever, wipes off instantly if it leaves a mark.

Used it a bunch more tonight. Some Siri stuff while outside on LTE and some inside with wifi/phone

Currently usage on my Watch app says the following..

Time Since Full Last Charge
Usage: 2 hours 51 minutes
Standby: 16 hours 7 minutes

71% battery remaining on my Apple Watch Series 3.

Hot damn

giga

? I want photos on my phone - have around 15gb worth. I don’t pay for iCloud so I only get the last 1000 photos. Therefore space on my phone for photos is crucial.
You have a backup system though right? If not iCloud, google photos?

I get notifications almost non stop at work. I only actioned a few but mostly just viewed them at work. Wore it at 7am and when I got home it was 84% I think (might have been higher). It dropped 1% ish the entire evening. Ended the day above 80.

This is on the 38mm SS cellular model. Didn't use any cellular though. Great battery life.

My LTE doesn’t have the software issues at the moment. It does take about 30 secs to hand off from phone to LTE when I walk out of range.

Going to bed but here are the stats before I charge.

VxjJicD.jpg

65% remaining.

My guess is that it lasts about 25-30% more than my Series 0 every day.

This is with some use of LTE for Siri, notifications for about 60-70 minutes on LTE. I also listened to 25-30 minutes of music with my AirPods through my watch. I installed a few apps and used a few things as well.

btkadams

Just echoing other people’s comments here, I picked up my S3 off the charger at 0620 yesterday and put it back on the charger at 2115 with 80% battery left. I didn’t use GPS or LTE during the day. I didn’t do any battery-intensive stuff like workouts either. It was mostly just notifications and controlling music.

Vuze

Watching 4K videos shot from your iPhone over AirPlay at native resolution? I don’t have one but I read on macrumors that it doesn’t.
Yeah. Welp, that's disappointing... Oh well, as long as it can play back the 4K videos shot on iPhone in native res (it should according to spec sheet).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does your experience not match that? Even when the watch is on LTE, it's not actively using it all the time. I too have noticed that S3 has even longer battery life than S2 that I had.

Are you Donald Trump?
lol. Guys, keep in mind that upclose photos distort the size ratio of the watch vs the wrist behind. They always make the wrist look smaller and the watch bigger. Batrush, when you take the photo like that, make sure to take it from as far away as possible to make it show a more natural looking ratio.

Caelestis

Finally got my phone and updated everything. What is it with so many apps being removed from store and put up again as a different app with current support. Xx

I went to a festival and brought only my series 3 watch. I used it for checking the time, siri, notifications, and emails. I also received 2 short calls, and sent messages to my friends.

I spent about 8 hours there and had 27% battery life remaining on my watch by the time I got back to my phone.

I’m pretty happy with the battery I can’t believe the verge gave it a 5/10. Sure you can’t use it to make calls all day, but you can get those few important calls and keep up to date on all messages and notifications pretty much the entire day even without the phone nearby.

Also, the series 3 is so quick and smooth. I definitely recommend picking one up even for series 2 owners.

Dandte

Woah my carrier just notified me that my 8+ 256 gb will get shipped this week instead of cw 41...looks like people are jumping the 8 ship (right of withdrawal is 14 days, so friday when you ordered on the first day) for the x.

Souzetsu

Some experiences with my Watch:

Battery life is really great. It hasn't been lower than 65% since I've gotten it. Going walking with it without my iPhone using LTE and listening to music using my AirPods for about 50 minutes dropped the battery life about 25%-30%. Honestly very happy with how long it lasts.

I noticed that the LTE isn't the strongest when I went walking to a local CVS. When I was shopping around I tried to make a call on my Watch, only to realize that it didn't have a signal. I'm guessing if the signal isn't that great on your iPhone, it may not be there at all for your Watch.

Lastly, this thing is fast. Moving around in it and using apps is effortless. This is coming from a Series 0. Main thing for me is that 1Password lets me use my OTPs really easily and other apps don't crash constantly.

DOWN

Banned
I think the dark Apple watches are very pretty but have seen some nightmare scratch pictures of them online and watches always get scratched.

Second best I like Stainless steel, but again the scratches show up really obvious.

Aluminum seems to be the only one that hides scratches mildly.

DonShula

About how much charge is needed to wear the series 3 for sleep tracking? Charging would be easier for me in the morning than the evening.

Still hovering around buying one of these...

Top Bottom