• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

helo

dcx4610

First time seeing this thread and while I think it's awesome, it's also very weird.

What is exactly "used" about a digital game/license? Why wouldn't you get the used version over a "new" copy and save some money?

I see this as Microsoft having a way to control content and also make money in the process but it also could potentially hurt new sales.

KoopaTheCasual

Sorry to ask this question in two threads, but I wanted to know what's the deal with the US Amazon listing for the Xbox One? All dates on launch games, and accessories have changed to November 27th. I know these dates are typically place holder, but they're usually at the end of the month or at the latest date possible from the specified window they're given. Does this mean that MS has given Amazon word that they'll launch the XB1 prior to the 27th?

Here's the screen I took from the page:
8uCcJah.png

Here's a link to the page and other listed items that were changed to the 27th:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames

http://www.amazon.com/Forza-Motorsport-Day-One-Edition-Xbox/dp/B00CMQTTQG/ref=pd_sim_vg_4

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Wireless-Controller-Play-Charge/dp/B00CMQTUY2/ref=pd_cp_vg_1

Could this sell digital games survey have some connection with that guy that leaked microsoft was thinking about implementing back some form of drm?
Can't find back the post or thread but bish mod confirmed it is all i vaguely remember.

Sorry to ask this question in two threads, but I wanted to know what's the deal with the US Amazon listing for the Xbox One? All dates on launch games, and accessories have changed to November 27th. I know these dates are typically place holder, but they're usually at the end of the month or at the latest date possible from the specified window they're given. Does this mean that MS has given Amazon word that they'll launch the XB1 prior to the 27th?

http://www.amazon.com/Forza-Motorsport-Day-One-Edition-Xbox/dp/B00CMQTTQG/ref=pd_sim_vg_4

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Wireless-Controller-Play-Charge/dp/B00CMQTUY2/ref=pd_cp_vg_1

There were a number of placeholder dates used at different times for the PS4 prior to the announcement. There never appeared to be a reason precipitating the change. I'd guess this is just a new estimate based on what Amazon thinks might be likely. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Here's a more reasonable (and likely) scenario for the sale of used digital games:

- Dev (/publisher) sets a 30-90 "no resale" period whereby used games cannot be traded (date from release, not purchase).

- Dev will set an initial "royalty fee" for the transaction that applies after the no resale period. This might be $40 on a successful AAA title, meaning that the seller will only receive the amount of purchase price beyond that amount (e.g., a $50 sale will net the seller $10).

- Dev will schedule royalty decreases up until a royalty floor (e.g. decrease $10 each 60 days until it hits $10, where it will stay forever).

This makes for a pretty good system for all parties:

- Buyers are able to purchase older games at reasonable discounts that reliably decrease over time.

- Sellers will be able to quickly, conveniently and reliably extract value from their used digital copies of games. Unlike Craigslist/eBay, there's no waiting for an auction to close, dealing with people trying to negotiate the price, wondering if the buyer will show up or pay.

- Developers will be able to recognize a revenue stream from used games, and won't have their full-price game sales completely undermined by the used game marketplace where a used copy is indistinguishable from a new copy.

On first glance, I know that many will think this is a rip-off for the sellers. They're selling their used game for $48, but getting only $8 in their pockets. However, I think that you need to take a second and consider the alternative: If all 3M copies of The Last of Us were out there in digital form, and anyone could sell their copy simply by checking a box on their game console, how much do you think your copy would really be worth? Certainly not the $30 you'll currently get for it on eBay. Only a small percentage of gamers are willing to go through the hassle of listing/selling/shipping their games, but many multiples of that number would be willing to do so if everything were automated and convenient. This would result in a flooded market, and price pressures would significantly decrease the value of your copy.

In a perfectly fluid market with limited scarcity, the real value of a used game is the amount that a person would be willing to forgo to maintain the opportunity to replay that game in the future. Frankly, I think that that price is probably about $5, and I think that's what you'd probably see in the system described above.

Yeah, it's interesting because it's not going to happen in a vacuum. Because they weren't able to put the kibosh on it, there'll be a physical resale market happening concurrently. If this actually goes through, we'll see how one affects the other. I think it'll be very tricky.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Rapstah

I hope CBOAT never sells out and forever keeps leaking exclusively to GAF under his current name. Maximises our enjoyment at the cost of making it doubly awkward to report on.

-This will be available through the systems’ premium subscription service (such as Xbox Live Gold/Playstation Plus)
-You will have the ability to purchase and sell pre-owned digital video games.
-You will have the ability to sell back/trade in your versions of digital games you have purchased.
-You will have the ability to buy pre-owned digital versions of games through the online marketplace.
-You will have a variety of prices and features available to purchase for pre-owned digital versions of games.
-All transactions will take place via digital downloads/transfers within your next generation gaming system’s digital store.
-New full game digital downloads will still be available, as will physical (disc) versions sold at retail stores/websites.
-Pre-owned disc versions of games will be able to be played on the next generation gaming system for free.
-There will be a marketpla

What the heck am I reading??? buy pre-owned digital copy...what the heck that even means? How come digital copies be limited in number and pre-owned. lol

2013_%2525208_28_18_42.png

I need to find a better way to fill my time on my days off than making gifs. :-/

Shit...I'm not gonna get banned for the gifs, am I? I don't know the rules on defending someone or whatnot.
neh, you're safe, I directed some snark toward an established member when they doubted CBOATS abilities, a moderator layed the smack down on me for that.

edit: ha ha, epic gifs!

Who do you think he's trying to avoid being identified by? I don't know that I understand what you're saying.

To prevent anything from getting back to him or leading to his source, which has been suggested as an explanation for his posts being like that.

I'm saying that if the intent of the word scrambling is to prevent him from being identified or outed, he's going above and beyond what is reasonable, to the point that it's just schtick. If the other reason is indeed to be un-quotable or unusable as a distributor of truthfact, well that's out the window because the largest gaming news site just used his post as a source.

KHarvey16

To prevent anything from getting back to him or leading to his source, which has been suggested as an explanation for his posts being like that.

I'm saying that if the intent of the word scrambling is to prevent him from being identified or outed, he's going above and beyond what is reasonable, to the point that it's just schtick. If the other reason is indeed to be un-quotable or unusable as a distributor of truthfact, well that's out the window because the largest gaming news site just used his post as a source.

But how does the scrambling not prevent people who work with him or who employ him from finding out who he is?

<3 CBOAT. Always a special place for him (her?) in my heart.

Cboat could be a gurl, you read it here first. :eek:

On topic:
MS allowing reselling of digital goods? Then why oh why would they bother with this all digital future crap to begin with, the whole point was to take away your ownership of games.

I'm highly skeptical of this.

KoopaTheCasual

Cboat could be a gurl, you read it here first. :eek:

On topic:
MS allowing reselling of digital goods? Then why oh why would they bother with this all digital future crap to begin with, the whole point was to take away your ownership of games.

I'm highly skeptical of this.

It's only a survey, as stated by both CBOAT and Wario in this thread, and it seems to come from a third party, no less (since the survey mentions both XBL and PSN). Maybe a publisher (possibly EA) wants to cut out the middle man (Gamestop) and win brownie points with the hardcore at the same time. Or maybe Gamestop realized their physical only model is outdated and got the jump on themselves.

Either way, this seems to be a very very recent development in the MS camp. It's a shame, because if they came forward with news like this at E3, the DRM pill would have been significantly easier to swallow for a whole lot of people.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
to calrufly berczuz som epfolks are reding it incroectly and GODFIGORBID I POST AN ENOY GERMANY ONTL TO BE YELD AT BY TOP INTERNTE MEN ABOUT GETIN THINS WRON

anwyasy

dgitl resel is colating sruvyey info!. not stoned. but driection to lok at? xbone doing a goodidae? is imposible!

ok cu in 2014

What does "cu in 2014" mean? Shall you not grace us with your presence again this year, or are you saying the third Xbox won't release until 2014?

back home noaw. YAY. >_<

Apoglizes for late Oct nosho for pes4 . iheard itwa that, but sonuy is not my str0nog suit. It hapens. Cal 1800BUTOCXS for arefnud of yoru monez. (;

seruslay i am sory tho.

xboNOVE BMER 8TH HOOHAA no
saw ktosku atrticle. then retarctshun. thats ok icouldhav etold them nov 8 was piedrivedream. I know MS beter tha SC3Aa aha

*xbone cs treps are bilncg alled in afor nov 15ht
*thes are coantrcftract reps not wactualy wrok for MS. hard lyany of them cdoo.
*new cs softawf impletned for nov 15 w surpo t taxonomy for xbone
*caled "Assisted Support Desktop"
*antiphish stuf in to make hard for niigerian uktranisn rusian pinces to cal bout acoutn info that no t theirkrirs but if culstoner donestn haven email or ahpnone nubmr asocate with acount, xbone reps wil have pwoetr to tell calller to eff off
*...I wish i had zes to some sony cs reps 3 weks ago. oh wel

Do yut wnt to sel yor dgiital games? OHO I ONLAY REOPRT BAD NEWS FOR XBONE!

last thign, final workd on the mater.::
Get mad if yo want, cal me in to questoni if you like .nosweta off mynose. my jbo is safe and yoru tender tearbucklets bmaek flowers grow
b

9 year sin.onf rorusm. ben here befo4 redit madf oloks show nup and I'l turn the lignhts of when they leave.

wy?

Smpile.

I d0nt getp aid 2 post.

byeeee

i-know-some-of-these-words_20120529130516.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Nov 27th is pretty much the latest date possible for a US release. MS has already said November and the console is unlikely to launch after Black Friday which leaves the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Nov 27th, as the latest possible date in the window.

Top Bottom