• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Resilient

So stoked this is finally coming out, eager as hell to get my hands on it. Can't believe it's nearly here, I bought an Xbox around when this was getting announced...good times :D

Yep.. Just like RDR, halo 3, Gears of war 2. Similar post in during there releases :p

I never expected any of those. Fez is a guaranteed lock. Some friends of mine have spoken to him at various events (PAX, GDC), and he basically goes, "Yeah, a lot of people have been asking about a PC release." He knows people want it, but can't do anything about it because of the exclusivity contract.

You're kidding yourself if you think a game that literally already runs on a PC won't be released on PC once the contract runs out. Especially when XBLA releases now sell less than the PC versions these days - because Steam, basically - more often than not.

EDIT: I remember an interview with the Sword & Sworcery devs where the guy said straight up they would never release the game on anything but iOS. And now it's coming to Steam.

It's a funny ol' world: vidya gaaaaaaaaaaams~~

EDIT EDIT: Although, to play devil's advocate against myself, I kind of wouldn't be too surprised if Phil Fish decided not to do the port in the future just because he wants to do something else. He seems to be worn the fuck out from working on Fez. Maybe he'll take a break from game development period, or just move on to another game.

I'll get flamed for this but why do these indie platformers so often look like Cave Story? I know nothing about this game besides what's in the OP. But the main little white guy just looks like a NPC pulled from Cave Story.

I'll get flamed for this but why do these indie platformers so often look like Cave Story? I know nothing about this game besides what's in the OP. But the main little white guy just looks like a NPC pulled from Cave Story.

This game has been in development for 5 years, so I don't think Cave Story was an insipiration for character design.

DaBuddaDa

...why do these indie platformers so often look like Cave Story?...But the main little white guy just looks like a NPC pulled from Cave Story.

It has been in development since...2007 I think? So they're definitely cut from the early modern indie scene cloth, even though Cave Story does predate it by 8 years. I think some of the design is homage to Cave Story, absolutely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm sure everyone will notice the thread title change.

Fez |OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Terms of Service:
B. Trolling Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion.

ThankeeSai

Roll on Friday!

Probably the first game since Shadow Complex, where I'll just immediately buy it and not try the demo out first.

From the sounds of it, it has some great puzzles...I look forward to solving them :D

ced

I finally made myself watch the videos and it actually looks pretty fun. The music is really nice as well. I'm not so sure how long I will enjoy the main perspective changing mechanic though.

Zia

Very surprised Jim Sterling enjoyed it as much as he did. That Crave Online review reads as if it could have been written for dish detergent, or a juicer.

BluWacky

Nice... nine... nine point five... seven. lol.

The seven is clearly based on the technical deficiencies rather than any problem with the gameplay. Technical people please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like maybe the game's loading everything into memory and then forgetting to flush it out properly, so the more levels you play the longer the load times get? Does that even make sense?

Looking forward to more reviews.

Spookie

Whelp I bought the points to pay for this and Trials so I guess I'm committed. So much for waiting to try the demo! :[

Ranger X

The seven is clearly based on the technical deficiencies rather than any problem with the gameplay. Technical people please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like maybe the game's loading everything into memory and then forgetting to flush it out properly, so the more levels you play the longer the load times get? Does that even make sense?

Looking forward to more reviews.

Let's not forget that reviews are opinions before anything else. I think it's even more wierd and when all reviews are the same, like a big hive mind. It shouldn't really be like that.

Rlan

I've been playing it a lot over the Easter long weekend and beyond, still trying to collect everything.

If you're going to get into Fez, I suggest getting into it as quickly as possible., because the game is very much like Braid and Limbo in terms of trying to collect everything. Remember the 7 Stars shenanigans in Braid, or the Easter Eggs in Limbo? It's a bit like that, except it's half the game instead.

So you'll probably want to join in on the people going crazy trying to figure this shit out, because it requires you to think extremely outside the box sometimes.

I have had the same issues mentioned in reviews though -- I've had at least 3 crashes in the game while it's been loading, found ways outside the collision on some of the small rooms, and found a repeatable way to crash the game in one of the menus. It kind of sucks that it happens, but the game itself is quite good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Silver members get access to the demo a week later.

Untrue, Arcade demos are available the same day. Its only demos of retail games that are locked to that dumb week-long premium content labelling.

Overblown review scores sprinkled with a few not won over by the indie retro darling chiptune cocktail thats begun to repeat on people too much is what I was expecting really. Tech issues dont sound good, especially for something thats been in dev for so long.

Marco1

As much as I am looking forward to this I hope Phil is working on a patch considering the crashes and obvious memory leak.

Top Bottom