• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Looks Unnaturally Good Because Of 'Hyper-Realism'

It's really something, easily the best looking game I've ever seen, and I'm a core PC gamer too mind you. In fact it looks so great on the original PS4 that I don't see the need for PS4 Pro anymore, I saw it on Pro on a huge 4K TV shortly after I started playing it at home on OGPS4 and thought to myself "Huh? Is that all? Looks basically just as awesome at home." Pretty much locked 30fps too! Guerrilla really delivered on OGPS4, they should get lots of praise for not sacrificing the quality just because more power were available elsewhere.

Not tried it myself but apparently the magic is in the HDR.

eizarus

Banned
That's interesting, does this mean the lighting in the glass room is not final? Kojima kept mentioning the importance of lighting when the engine was unveiled.
Kojima-Productions-Meeting-Room-Decima-Engine-1.jpg
Didn't SE put emphasis on lighting too when they unveiled the FFXV engine? Seems like it will be the big thing going forward regarding graphics.
this is amazing

is this your voice?
Na. Just got lucky with a search for an Attenborough Horizon video.

HMD

That's interesting, does this mean the lighting in the glass room is not final? Kojima kept mentioning the importance of lighting when the engine was unveiled.
Kojima-Productions-Meeting-Room-Decima-Engine-1.jpg

I don't know if it's the models or the lighting but something about this looks off.

This legit feels like the pinnacle of conventional AAA games. Everything about it. So so refined.

Also how much better can graphics get before ppl stop caring? We must be getting close.

Humdinger

However they did it, they did a great job. It's the most beautiful game world I've ever wandered around in. Just a pleasure.

cooldawn

I want to pre-face my responses by saying Horizon Zero Dawn is, overall, the most accomplished open-world game I've ever laid eyes on. GIF's and images strewn across this forum shows how powerful the visual are. There's absolutely no doubt it's technically the most complete open-world setting thats received a lot of love from a passionate development team.

There...I love the visual prowess as much as anyone else.

I think it looks amazing and allows you to play even during the night. Not sure what you're on about. Did you miss the whole part of BBC-realism?

HorizonZeroDawn_20170305023632.png

HorizonZeroDawn_20170301011918.png

A stylistic choice? Also, because it looks so good?

horizon_zero_dawn_14_by_gamephotography-db1ae0c.png
I have seen these visuals scenes myself and those are the least offensive of the effect...but still to unrealistic because the world doesn't have a green tint in the night, at all. In game the Moon is white to grey, depending on environmental changes, not green.

That's why it feels like looking through night-vision googles...just some scenes are a lot worse than these photo's. I can't imagine it's a purposeful stylistic choice either. Not a chance. I feel it's more of a technical challenge.

It's not going for realism remember. It's a stylistic choice which, IMO is done really well. Strong colours, strong bloom, strong contrast. It's like Oblivion but done right lol
Sorry, I've never thought Oblivion looks good.

I'm sure it's just an artistic choice, but it can be reduced in photo-mode

horizonzerodawn_201705buc8.png

horizonzerodawn_20170bouv6.png
But I can't play in Photomode. Already, that difference shows how bad it can be but it can also be a lot worse.

Does Horizon always have such a bright night?
It is a little too bright at night overall...

Not sure how far into the game you are but not all areas are green at night.

Obviously it's an artistic choice but you notice that only the forested or jungle areas look green at night. so there's some logic behind it. bounced light or something.
...and the green tint affects the majority of the world. It's just a lot more subtle in some area's.

I don't believe it's bounce either because the whole world is affected to one degree or another. I really feel it's a technical engine issue. The engine has a lot of issues with lighting in all times of day...from incorrect obfuscation to misleading light shafts. DECIMA may be a great future engine but it needs a little more incubation.

For reference, I've completed the game.

I think I remember Gran Turismo 5 having a similar edict. "Look better than real-life" by trying to capture prime moments of beauty, like when the sun reflects off of the surface of water perfectly, and sustain them for longer than you'd ever seen in the real world.
The difference is Gran Turismo 5's implementation is way better across the board. It's the only game I can think of that nailed the night...with no green tint at all.

To close, I wish I was a photo taker or a video maker just to show what I see. I can't understand how people can not see the green tint all over this game at night. It reminds me of Samsung LED's through the XBOX360 era...blacks just weren't black. My mum and friends bought them and I'm horrified as much now as I was back then.

GUERILLA GAMES: Can we please have an in-game filter mode that mirrors photo mode, then I can get rid of the tint forever?

That would be swell.

Green tint at night is 100% an artistic choice. You should know this since you've beaten the game, there is zero green tint at night in the desert area (also no green tint in snowy mountain areas).

I do agree that night time does look pretty bad sometimes though, can look really flat at times, too bright at others, and sometimes a bit of both.

Dark nights simply do not belong in games. Games are meant to be played, so you need to be able to see, not just sit there while you wait to be able to see more than a foot in front of you even when using a torch/flashlight.

PSYGN

When I saw this game, I didn't think realism as much as I thought a highly detailed and beautiful painting. It's taking nature and making it prettier, but in doing so it also feels a little artificial at times especially in still shots. Some of it I understand is more of a game design (for instance, tweaking what night looks like so you can play in it). Still, it's a very beautiful game and looks even prettier in motion.

I went from Horizon to Zelda and believe me it was jarring visually. Your probably doing it the right way around.

Huh. I purposely went the other way because I read Zelda is a better conventional open world game, in terms of how packed it is, creativity, and things to do.

But yes, been playing on the PS4 Pro, and I am just surprised it can produce such great visuals. It feels like I'm playing on a superhighend PC. If I didn't know better and someone told me this was running on all the latest cutting edge PC tech at max settings, I'd probably believe them.

The hair and foilage alone, never seen it so good. They made such a huge deal the physics systems that gives Lara Croft that hair, but that never impressed me, like the hair does here, it doesn't even seem close.

SomTervo

What I want them to add:

- NG+
- Random generated Corrupted Zones (more challanging).
- Really high difficulty, offering more challange (overall story).
- Reduce ThunderJaw Disk launcher ammos, it's​ really overpowered.

Cool, i knew this thread was about gameplay

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
From what I read, changes Kojima does to the Decima engine will be available to Guerrila?

Either way, this is a plus @_@
Decima is just a continuation of their engine from KZ2 onwards nothing to do with Kojima they just handed him the keys to the castle

SomTervo

Dark nights simply do not belong in games. Games are meant to be played, so you need to be able to see, not just sit there while you wait to be able to see more than a foot in front of you even when using a torch/flashlight.

Dark nights are absolutely valid if you build them into the game design legitimately. Dragon's Dogma and Dying Light have fantastic, dark night times that are really atmospheric and challenging but still playable if you prepare.

Don't think there's a place in this for Horizon though

I don't mind the night green tint but maybe they could do a Driveclub and let us play with filters on.

The game is annoyingly stunning, how can I get any playing done when I have to stare at stuff.

guyssorry

I think it looks great because of its wonderful and creative aesthetic, combined with the art not looking 100% realistic (but still close enough). It's a great style.

I'm sure it's just an artistic choice, but it can be reduced in photo-mode

horizonzerodawn_201705buc8.png

horizonzerodawn_20170bouv6.png

This reminds me of how artists should (IMO) never get control of colour correction which affects the entire image for large swathes of time and geography in game. Rather just colour temperature, intensity, and placement of lights within physicalised paramters. I prefer the less-/ non-colour-graded version by far. It makes the art sing and speak for itself IMO.

From what I read, changes Kojima does to the Decima engine will be available to Guerrila?

Either way, this is a plus @_@

Decima is just a continuation of their engine from KZ2 onwards nothing to do with Kojima they just handed him the keys to the castle

No, BreezyLimbo had it correct.

Kojima Productions and Guerrilla Games are actively collaborating on the engine. The same source code. Any modifications made by either team affects the other.

Two technically exemplary teams working in tandem to develop and evolve an engine? It's very exciting!

X800D + PS4 Pro + Horizon = 👌👌👌💯💯💯☑☑☑😱😱😱🔥🔥🔥💣💣💣

This reminds me of how artists should (IMO) never get control of colour correction which affects the entire image for large swathes of time and geography in game. Rather just colour temperature, intensity, and placement of lights within physicalised paramters. I prefer the less-/ non-colour-graded version by far. It makes the art sing and speak for itself IMO.

Except the bottom one is color graded while the one above looks the way it does because of the moonlight over a planet which, without getting too deep into spoiler territory, has explicit reasoning for the world to look and feel the way it does.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
No, BreezyLimbo had it correct.

Kojima Productions and Guerrilla Games are actively collaborating on the engine. The same source code. Any modifications made by either team affects the other.

Two technically exemplary teams working in tandem to develop and evolve an engine? It's very exciting!
Yes but this has nothing to do with HZD to my knowledge I think its just i don't want GGs excellent engine to be 'lucky Kojima was involved' looked at

I'm completely in love with the stylized world Guerilla has created.
Not a minute of gameplay goes by where I don't come across some breathtaking view.
So I stop to take a screenshot, play around with the time of day a bit and discover that it looks that awesome no matter what time :D

I took a couple of shots of this valley at different times of day:

The first one was the view I came across during gameplay, without tod-change.
Night, moon in front, about to set:
horizonzerodawn_20170e5pc4.png

Sunrise:
horizonzerodawn_20170o5ooz.png

Noon:
horizonzerodawn_20170dyofw.png

Afternoon:
horizonzerodawn_20170c0pvr.png

Sunset:
horizonzerodawn_20170d2run.png

After sunset:
horizonzerodawn_20170hso9m.png

Night, moon to the right, outside of the frame, on the rise:
horizonzerodawn_201707opcq.png

WinFonda

I'm currently playing Horizon on PS4 Pro and and it is a technical MARVEL

can't stress how amazing it looks, even by Guerrilla's already high standards for visual fidelity, they really raised the bar

before I would have put them on par or slightly below Naughty Dog but it's clear with their latest efforts Guerrilla is in pole position for delivering the highest end tech showpieces on PS platforms. Naughty Dog has a lot of work cut out for them with TLOU 2 if they want to reclaim the throne imo

^^^ Its an embarrassment of riches on the PS4 right now, that's for damn sure.

Horizon is just such a damn nice space to spend some time in - the variety in landscapes and weather conditions is breathtaking. But its also the animations, the sounds of the machines in the distance, birds, and the subtle and not so subtle sounds of armor clinking in motion and leather bending. And I can't count how many times I've stopped in the middle of playing to snap some shots. Will share some of my best ones once I finish this seriously surprisingly meaty ass game.

Top Bottom