• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Going into Route B, and the mechanic change up is interesting. I'm worried it could get tedious, but I can't say it doesn't keep you on your toes! Route B intro spoilers, so goddamn good:
I was shocked how affected I was at controlling the lil' machine - I guess it could become Adam? - to fetch a bucket of oil. I didn't realize there were pipes on the ground, the machine tripped with the bucket, and we had to start the whole process again. I think that whole scene effected me more than the rest of the game thus far, I felt awful.
Ha, I typed this up before seeing The Emperor commenting similarly above, and the responses to that, so I'm hopeful the following will change! Regardless, Ending A did crystallize my only real issue with Automata thus far - I realized I'm not nearly as invested in 2B or 9S as I was with the Nier cast, even from very early on. I think I may have also been more attached to Zero and Mikhail, and I don't love Drakengard 3. That isn't to say I don't like 2B and 9S and enjoy their dynamic, because I do, I just feel like there is quite an apparent difference. I guess Automata feels a lot more existentially plot driven, whereas, from the very beginning, Nier is extremely character driven. Ultimately, Nier's plot is super straightforward - help Papa Nier/Brother Nier save their daughter/sister. I guess it's because of this simplicity, that it got time to delve into a lot of lovely character moments, even early on. We got to watch this funny little oddball family sprout up in support Nier, and see them become very close. The character dynamics between the four of them changed so much over the course of the game, too. Nier/Kaine, Nier/Weiss, Kaine/Weiss, Kaine/Emil, Nier/Emil. All of the characters had their own distinct subplots that were well delved into by the end. I know it's waaaay too premature to make judgment on Automata before spending time in more of the routes, but I did notice the difference in my attachment to the protagonists for the same amount of time spent with the two games. I'm also up to 42% side-quests, too, which is way more than I ever did for Nier. For everything Automata improves on over Nier - and I do think it is the better game - this is one area for me that feels weaker thus far.

Automata also has it harder, because the 2B and 9S are a lot more isolated, and only have each other to bounce off. The supporting cast comes and goes a lot more, though there are nice moments with Pascal, the operators, etc. Both Drakengard 1/3 are a bit more emotionally detaching because the supporting cast around the protagonists are intentionally horrible, but I thought the core relationships of Zero/Mikhail and Caim/Angelus were very distinct and interesting from the beginning.

That all being said, like no game ever has before, Automata has me caring about little random NPC that I may only see all of once. There have been so many times where I've stopped in my tracks, desperately wanting to help and not being able to. It's because of this that very early on I stopped instigating any fights that I didn't have to, and I wouldn't attack enemies that didn't attack me first. I can't look at any red-eyed enemy and also not see all those weird and charming NPCs in the world. Well fucking done, Taro, you've actually broken that barrier for me like no game before, as I can't look at enemies and just see them as a way to earn experience or grind for materials.

Meanwhile, all aspects of the game continue to impress. I'm shocked at how emotive the character models are, often (intentionally) unpleasantly so at times. The cutscenes are superb, with some great editing. The boss battles are incredible and memorable, and feel great when you get the boss patterns down. The art direction is clever. The layering to the soundtrack is like nothing I've really seen/heard before. I've now got the right combo of chips that let me play Automata like Bayonetta, which has made my year! I'm also being haunted by City of Ruin. Goddamn earworm.

that place can get a little confusing, sorry i can't help much but all i can remember is that you need to go up.
i remember there is a elevator near a save point but it doesn't work because 9s need to hack it

Finished the bit already, but thanks anyway. I hate conveyor belts on video games so much :\

I had to stop playing because I got a bit burned out by all the hacking/shooting segments. There's just so much bullet density stretched out over so much time.

JJShadow

Random thoughts regarding route C opening:

- Holy fuck, all these Yohra units going berserk, wtf is going on with this virus
- Loved how Yoko Taro wanted to make you realize this is where the real game starts with those initial credits lol
- 2B ;_____;
- I cannot stop looking at A2's bottom, it's hypnotic

Demoskinos

Started route C and did the first hour or so...

I literally just sat at my TV repeating "oh my god" continuously the entire time. The stuff in the YoRHa Bunker... 2B. Fucking 2B. Even the late title card. I just cannot believe what I just witnessed. Legit fucking stunned.

This game is too much sometimes but its incredibly amazing. Loving every single second. I don't know how anything can compete with it this year for my GOTY.

AlucardGV

Banned
Started route C and did the first hour or so...

I literally just sat at my TV repeating "oh my god" continuously the entire time. The stuff in the YoRHa Bunker... 2B. Fucking 2B. Even the late title card. I just cannot believe what I just witnessed. Legit fucking stunned.

This game is too much sometimes but its incredibly amazing. Loving every single second. I don't know how anything can compete with it this year for my GOTY.

i wonder if this is the first videogame
to put the credits right in the middle of the game

iFirez

I know very little about this game, but been a fan of Platinum and Japanese games in general, I just bought it on PSN. Will start tomorrow night. I've seen a bunch of amazing reviews and comments so I can't wait. I'm done with Zelda, Mass Effect, Horizon, Hollow Knight and Hitman so time for Nier... damn March has been a busy month for me and games.

Finished ending B and started my next playthrough.

Oh man. Oh man. This game.

I thought I'd just pop it in and play the prologue for a bit and then return to Zelda but I'm absolutely hooked. Don't think I can return to BotW until I'm 100% done with this.

C7YM_e4X0AATtxS.jpg:large

I miss playing as 2B already :(

MikeBison

Question about route C and then D

so as route C started I chose 9s rather than A2 is route D going back and doing the opposite of what you first chose? Or put another way, will u have an opportunity to do A2's stuff

Help appreciated.

Anyway, this game is something special. The way it unravels is masterful. And godammit the OST!!!!

AlucardGV

Banned

so as route C started I chose 9s rather than A2 is route D going back and doing the opposite of what you first chose? Or put another way, will u have an opportunity to do A2's stuff

Help appreciated.

Anyway, this game is something special. The way it unravels is masterful. And godammit the OST!!!!

you have to play with both characters in route C so you won't miss anything

Hektor

Help appreciated.

Similar to that, but not exactly. Doing A2's stuff is mandatory regardless

i meant the
"made by platinum games, directed by yoko taro"
don't know the exact name

Oh, i see now. What you mean is the Title Sequence or Intro. That's a good question actually, i can't spontanously think of one

Astral

The inventor guy isn't letting me invest anymore. He says I'm too poor or something. What gives? And where do I get a large gear? I need it for a quest and they're telling me to basically farm for it. Fuck thaaaat.

bargeparty

So what are my options here... Just started 3rd playthrough and I cannot get passed the beginning with the clearing of the enemies.

If I have to try and grind I'm done with this game.

ramyeon

The inventor guy isn't letting me invest anymore. He says I'm too poor or something. What gives? And where do I get a large gear? I need it for a quest and they're telling me to basically farm for it. Fuck thaaaat.
You probably don't have enough money for the next tier.

If it's the quest I think it is then it's dropped by one of the smaller Stubbies that spawns next to the goliath type that drops Pristine screws, mine was near the bridge to the Forest Zone in the City Ruins. You might have to respawn them to get it to drop. I had to die to respawn them.

AlucardGV

Banned

you're doing Engel's? i think the quest put a red zone on your map where you can find that material

Hektor

So what are my options here... Just started 3rd playthrough and I cannot get passed the beginning with the clearing of the enemies.

If I have to try and grind I'm done with this game.

Three options

1) Grind
2) Get better at dodging
3) Put the difficulty down

iFirez

You could always put it on easy mode.
What do the different difficulties do/change? (I'm starting my first playthrough tomorrow). I've heard Easy is actually really enjoyable and automated a lot of the combat nuances to allow you to enjoy the story and world... not sure I've ever played a game on Easy though.

Ruff

The difficulty spike on C's beginning is rather extreme if you neglect any additional quests and upgrading your gear. I started it around level 38-40 and I was having a huge issue with the
hoards and hoards of hacking robots, since I couldn't finish them off fast and I didn't get any status cure items in the 1 chance you have beforehand since I didn't know wtf they did as you never fight these things in A and B
Also the walk of death while infected was scary as fuck since most things could 2 shot me and my dodge was gone

Baalzebup

There, I've now joined the platinum club for this game. Got 'em the old fashioned way as well. My 11th platinum trophy, 4 of which I've earned this year. I really need to like a game to bother with one (and it can't be a huge PITA), so it is a testament to just how good this year has been for games that interest me.

Astral

You probably don't have enough money for the next tier.

If it's the quest I think it is then it's dropped by one of the smaller Stubbies that spawns next to the goliath type that drops Pristine screws, mine was near the bridge to the Forest Zone in the City Ruins. You might have to respawn them to get it to drop. I had to die to respawn them.

you're doing Engel's? i think the quest put a red zone on your map where you can find that material

It did for the other materials but not this one. So it does look like I have to farm the little guys a bit. Thanks.

AlucardGV

Banned
There, I've now joined the platinum club for this game. Got 'em the old fashioned way as well. My 11th platinum trophy, 4 of which I've earned this year. I really need to like a game to bother with one (and it can't be a huge PITA), so it is a testament to just how good this year has been for games that interest me.

did you join the helpers club? you get a nice main screen

ramyeon

It did for the other materials but not this one. So it does look like I have to farm the little guys a bit. Thanks.
You don't have to farm the little guys. They won't drop it early in the game. There are specific ones that spawn in once you take on that quest.

OniBaka

That is the thing I'm about to do now, since I'll be doing another full playthrough eventually anyway. Need to hear the English voicework, been exclusively on the Japanese track for this one.

I'm doing the opposite, need to hear the japanese dub and I like it. But I can't beat the intro on hard and I ain't giving up.

Airan

Just finished B. Oh lordy. that was a ride. 2B honest though, 9S's
combat style was very limiting compared to 2B. Which makes sense in a story context, but after finally upgrading some weapons to max I just wanted to test them out as 2B. Guess I'll get to do that in Route C/D maybe...

What on EARTH is up with
these weird ghost girl holograms? I saw one on the edge of my eye as 9S took on an flight unit to support 2B vs Eve, then I saw 2 at the choking scene. Creepy as fuck. I thought they were Popola and Devola but they look much younger...

It's 0:30 am and I have work tomorrow and I want to start Route C grrraaaaagh

Audioboxer

Quick question, am I supposed to be exploring the open world or should I just be heading toward objectives?

Most side quests will pop up on the map for you. They tend to take you all over for exploring anyway. I recommend holding off doing the bulk of them until you unlock fast travel which you get a few main quests in. Up to you but there is a bit too much running around needed if you decide to try and do them all prior to getting fast travel.

sora87

Somehow got past that opening bit of route C, but now
how am i supposed to get across the bloody map with 2B hardly walking and unable to fight. I just get killed by the dozens of robots chasing my slow ass.

Ruff

Somehow got past that opening bit of route C, but now
how am i supposed to get across the bloody map with 2B hardly walking and unable to fight. I just get killed by the dozens of robots chasing my slow ass.

My tip is pay attention to enemy locations on the map and plan a path around them that doesn't require much mobility.

Most side quests will pop up on the map for you. They tend to take you all over for exploring anyway. I recommend holding off doing the bulk of them until you unlock fast travel which you get a few main quests in. Up to you but there is a bit too much running around needed if you decide to try and do them all prior to getting fast travel.

Ok, thanks. I'll stick with the main quest until I unlock fast travel.

Top Bottom