• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Dorfdad

Gold Member
what server is GAF on? is there a specific one we are all gaming on? Also is anyone going to be leveling slower than most? Im a full time DAD and get about 1-2 Hours a night during weeks to play...

nataku

Oh.

Interesting.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

From the AOC forums. I've been permabanned!

Didn't have a single post to my name or anything.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
nataku said:
Oh.

Interesting.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

From the AOC forums. I've been permabanned!

Didn't have a single post to my name or anything.

From the official forums:

At the moment pre-order accounts, which are not part of the Early Access program or have not yet registered a valid retail-key, are put into frozen status. This is because only Early Access customers and those with a registerd retail-key are actually allowed to play on the servers.

These pre-order accounts are also blocked from accessing the forums as they are only available for customers with currently active game accounts (which right now the pre-order accounts without a valid retail-key are not)

This is actually correct behaviour of the billing system. As soon as the servers have been opened for launch, these customers will have to enter a valid retail-key in order to unfreeze their accounts and get access to the game servers and the forums.

We will open read access to the forums for everybody soon. But it will always be that only customers with valid game accounts will be allowed to write posts and engage in discussions with the community.

Oh so the forums are only for players? I can understand needing an account to post but not being able to look at them is a bit extreme.

nataku

Big Nate said:
From the official forums:

Huh.

Still, very strange seeing that message. You think they could have at least put something like "Ban will be lifted when you enter a retail key into your account." as the reason.

xabre said:
Even though it is a Massive Multiplayer ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME!!!

yeah I only moderately enjoy online RPG, not enough to pay a monthly fee. prefer games like oblivion, mass effect etc. I was hoping single player would be kinda like oblivion.

Kinan

wow, no DX10 renderer at launch. Guess I dont need to upgrade just yet. :p At least not to Vista.

http://www.funcom.com/wsp/funcom/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&func_id=1293&table=CONTENT&item=1004

While Funcom is thrilled with the early success of Age of Conan, and proud of the game launching this week, the company regrets to inform gamers that the DirectX 10 version of the game will not ship with the initial launch. As Microsoft’s DirectX 10 is undoubtedly the future of PC gaming, Funcom has decided to ship only the DirectX 9 version at launch, giving the team more time to focus on building a DirectX 10 version worthy of Microsoft’s great vision for the future of PC gaming. This postponement will let Funcom include even more features in the DirectX 10 version of Age of Conan than originally planned.

The DirectX 10 version will be premiered at the German Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, August 20 – 24, 2008. A special preview showing off the advanced graphics made possible by DirectX 10 technology will be unveiled this summer at nVidia’s NVISION event in San Jose, California, August 25 – 27, 2008.

Darkone

Hi

I am new to this game, i played WOW for like 2 years and quit becuase it bored me and i don`t have much time to play.
Does AOC have a main story that the players interact with and is the story move forward in time?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
nataku said:
Huh.

Still, very strange seeing that message. You think they could have at least put something like "Ban will be lifted when you enter a retail key into your account." as the reason.

Yeah really, bizarre.

cleveridea said:
yeah I only moderately enjoy online RPG, not enough to pay a monthly fee. prefer games like oblivion, mass effect etc. I was hoping single player would be kinda like oblivion.

It's not really like Oblivion in mechanics, but it is like most open-world rpg's in the sense that you do quests for people and explore. The game is built for solo as well as group play, so if the world interests you then I say have fun! My play times usually restrict me to playing MMO's by myself, always have since before EQ1 when I was addicted to MUDs. Never stopped me from having fun and grouping occasionally with peeps.

grate

Dorfdad said:
what server is GAF on? is there a specific one we are all gaming on? Also is anyone going to be leveling slower than most? Im a full time DAD and get about 1-2 Hours a night during weeks to play...

This information is provided in the original post, and in the online meet up thread.

Atrophis

This was billed as the first big DX10 game, and the client isnt even going to be released for months? :lol Thought the screenshots werent THAT good compared the the shots Funcom had released.

Oh dear. Not so smooth a launch after all then. At least everyone will get a nice graphical boost when its implemented...assuming their rigs can handle the pain.

This thread and various youtube vids have actually made me really want to join in too but gonna have to wait till i build my new rig next month. Me wants some peeveepee action now damnit :(

Dorfdad

Gold Member
PVP or PVE thats the biggest question. In WOW I liked it at first but than time and time agian I was ganked by some level 40 when I was 23 or 25 making my limited gaming sessions full of nothing but death and running back to my body.

Unless they fixed the PVP should be only 5 levels above or below allowed I think I will go PVE...

grate

Free for all is just that, free for all.

If you are looking for structured pvp you probably want to to roll on a pve server and play the mini games.

As far as ress camping is concerned, I haven't had too many problems, however it looks like they are re-implementing a ress buff (from the official forums):

PvP: Attacking someone who is under the effect of 'Shield of the Risen' will now lead to severe damage to the attacker.

Atrophis said:
This was billed as the first big DX10 game, and the client isnt even going to be released for months? :lol Thought the screenshots werent THAT good compared the the shots Funcom had released.

Oh dear. Not so smooth a launch after all then. At least everyone will get a nice graphical boost when its implemented...assuming their rigs can handle the pain.

This thread and various youtube vids have actually made me really want to join in too but gonna have to wait till i build my new rig next month. Me wants some peeveepee action now damnit :(

After have been in the CoH and WoW launches this is holding its own just fine. I've yet to run into one bugged mob, broken quest etc. Lack of DX10 is fairly minor.

Kinan

Atrophis said:

Could it be that they knowligly delayed DX10 renderer to combat wow expansion and warhammer releases? To keep the crowds tied by shinies, so to say?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
sounds logical hold off on that so when the inital WOW is gone from gamers that Direct X 10, and new video cards are coming out this will provide some addition momentum.

Atrophis

Was wondering that myself to be honest.

Kryp: I realise it isnt a major issue when it comes to enjoyment of the game, like bugs and missing content, but was still a major selling point. Wont stop me from buying the game next month though :)

Danj

My client download just finished, running the installer now... looks like it's gonna take a long time.

Anybody know if the patches are distributed in torrents like the client was?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ha! My poor, poor rig. Brought to it's knees by Crom. :lol Thank god my parts will be here by Thursday.

Bags

Neo Member
I patched for a while yesterday, but now I'm downloading a 6+ Gig update. Time to go read a book/hope this update is finished before the ol ball and chain comes home rofl.

Tideas

Banned
Bags said:
I patched for a while yesterday, but now I'm downloading a 6+ Gig update. Time to go read a book/hope this update is finished before the ol ball and chain comes home rofl.

there's a 6 gig update on the day of release? wow...that's pretty sad

Bags

Neo Member
Tideas said:
there's a 6 gig update on the day of release? wow...that's pretty sad

Unless I've done something terribly wrong then yes. 6.32 GB. No worries though. I've been waiting a long time for this to be released so I can wait another hour or two.

grate

There isn't a 6GB patch, I am not sure what client he downloaded or is patching.

The early access client had a number of patches before the servers opened, these totaled nowhere near 6GBs though.

Bags

Neo Member
grate said:
There isn't a 6GB patch, I am not sure what client he downloaded or is patching.

The early access client had a number of patches before the servers opened, these totaled nowhere near 6GBs though.

That's a problem then. I just got back from lunch and fired up the launcher and it says "updating content" and I'm almost 1 gig in to a 6.32 gig patch. I'll go ahead and cancel, and see what happens.

Edit to update. I restarted the client and the update is downloading again. I am using the client that came off the dvds in the box. I don't know if that was any different from the one available for download or not, but yesterday I downloaded updates, and was able to go to the login screen, which meant my client was up to date yesterday afternoon (EST).

Ferrio

Banned
I broke down and bought the game, here's hoping my experience is better than what it was in OB. Going to stay away from cimmeria homeland since that valley was boring as hell. Looks like the other races have a bit better starting area.

schild said:
I get the exact same thing after 7 hours of playing. Only happens with AOC. It's overheating. Let the card cool down or get a better fan. All there is to it.
but my card gets max 62 deg C, how is it overheating?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ariexv said:
Any chance buddy keys are out yet? :)

Here's what Funcome said about it this morning

The buddy keys that come with every edition of the game ( one with the normal version and five with the collectors edition ) will be provided through the accounting tool once the first wave of paying customers has settled on the servers.

So soon you will be able to take your friend with you and show them the beautiful lands of Hyboria!

Maybe another day or so for buddy keys until paying customers settle in

grate

Bags said:
That's a problem then. I just got back from lunch and fired up the launcher and it says "updating content" and I'm almost 1 gig in to a 6.32 gig patch. I'll go ahead and cancel, and see what happens.

Edit to update. I restarted the client and the update is downloading again. I am using the client that came off the dvds in the box. I don't know if that was any different from the one available for download or not, but yesterday I downloaded updates, and was able to go to the login screen, which meant my client was up to date yesterday afternoon (EST).

Looks like the early access client was more up to date than the retail copy that shipped to distributors when the game went gold. I think in total I downloaded maybe 1.2 GBs in updates from the patch servers in preparation for the early access launch.

I guess it is feasible that the update could be that massive :/. I was under the impression that you were going from the early access download before your edit.

Can any fan of the REH novels indicate the measure of strength of comparison between the books and this game? (e.g., mood, atmosphere, characters, character speech, etc.)

Tideas

Banned
grate said:
Looks like the early access client was more up to date than the retail copy that shipped to distributors when the game went gold. I think in total I downloaded maybe 1.2 GBs in updates from the patch servers in preparation for the early access launch.

I guess it is feasible that the update could be that massive :/. I was under the impression that you were going from the early access download before your edit.

if that's the case, that's still pretty sad then. To have a 6gig update from the DVD that comes with the game?

I'm gonna assume that means they finished pressing the DVDs weeks earlier, and there were some hefty patches before then.

But still. 6gig? Geez. That's like a full game, lol. Anyway, buddy key anyone? I still want to try this game out.

Concept17 said:
5$... a month. Five dollars.
that's $60 after a year. enough for a new game.

garath

I just bought the game over lunch. For $40 from Circuit City, I have to at least try it out. Now to educate myself on the classes and choose PvP vs PvE while it installs over the next couple days :D

Victrix

*beard*
NintendosBooger said:
Can any fan of the REH novels indicate the measure of strength of comparison between the books and this game? (e.g., mood, atmosphere, characters, character speech, etc.)

Very similar. Bloody, brutal, dirty, nipples, decapitations, demons.

The dialogue varies in quality, but it's generally pretty well done, and the areas are amazing looking. Tortage, Cimmeria, Aquilonia, and Stygia all look much like you'd expect. They've gone for a sort of realistic fantasy look to everything, so it's not the least bit cartoony, but it isn't entirely plain and bland either - you'll see ruins towering into the sky, and run into strange deformed humanoid critters.

I can't speak to the later parts of the game, but the starter island and the racial newbie (post 20) areas are all quite nice.

Loan

Neo Member
HEY

HEY

HEY

can anyone tell how big are the patch to dl from the RETAIL install, also if ppl can provide external links etc... please ...

Victrix said:
Very similar. Bloody, brutal, dirty, nipples, decapitations, demons.

The dialogue varies in quality, but it's generally pretty well done, and the areas are amazing looking. Tortage, Cimmeria, Aquilonia, and Stygia all look much like you'd expect. They've gone for a sort of realistic fantasy look to everything, so it's not the least bit cartoony, but it isn't entirely plain and bland either - you'll see ruins towering into the sky, and run into strange deformed humanoid critters.

I can't speak to the later parts of the game, but the starter island and the racial newbie (post 20) areas are all quite nice.

Sounds very promising. Thank you so much.

grate

Tideas said:
if that's the case, that's still pretty sad then. To have a 6gig update from the DVD that comes with the game?

I'm gonna assume that means they finished pressing the DVDs weeks earlier, and there were some hefty patches before then.

But still. 6gig? Geez. That's like a full game, lol. Anyway, buddy key anyone? I still want to try this game out.

that's $60 after a year. enough for a new game.

I will agree it's a massive update.

I don't know how "sad" it is, they had a deadline to meet before production so that the game could be distributed on discs. Obviously a number of changes and optimizations have occurred between then and now.

I'd prefer a large download for stable client/server interaction, versus rampant client crashes and server reboots. I have seen far less issues with this game's launch versus any other MMO's launch.

Patches have always ran at my maximum connection speed on the closed and open betas, as well as the early access client.

Bags

Neo Member
grate said:

Yeah I should have included the fact that I was going from the discs. It doesn't really add up though. Yesterday afternoon my client was up to date according to the launcher (I downloaded two patches totally around a gig or two), but then 24 hours later I am updating with a 6.32 GB patch that nobody else is mentioning. I would think the internets would be exploding with complaints if everyone was faced with this size of a patch. At the same time it doesn't really make sense that I would be the only one downloading this...

The most brutal part is I'm waiting for a new rig to come in the next few weeks so I'm going to have to go through this again haha. :lol

grate

Bags said:
Yeah I should have included the fact that I was going from the discs. It doesn't really add up though. Yesterday afternoon my client was up to date according to the launcher (I downloaded two patches totally around a gig or two), but then 24 hours later I am updating with a 6.32 GB patch that nobody else is mentioning. I would think the internets would be exploding with complaints if everyone was faced with this size of a patch. At the same time it doesn't really make sense that I would be the only one downloading this...

The most brutal part is I'm waiting for a new rig to come in the next few weeks so I'm going to have to go through this again haha. :lol

Something must have gone wrong then, cause my client was patched yesterday as well and I haven't received any further updates between then and now. That's really weird.

grate

SteveO409 already posted details on this from FunCom earlier on this page of the thread.

They will be providing users with their buddy keys after the first batch of retail players has settled on the servers.

Top Bottom