• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
in WOW you're still trapped in that area, with only two or three exit points.
Not really unless you consider all of TBC to be one big zone. I can fly whatever route I choose and go anywhere I want. Yes, instances are still, uh, instanced (zones).

There is rarely any loading between 'zones' in WoW...even when geography and mode of locomotion restricts you to specific paths in and out.

The zoned game world is probably the biggest thing keeping me from buying this game right now. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the huge, open worlds offered in WoW and LotRO, but for all of the advancements Funcom is touting (improved graphics, improved combat, improved.. uh.. boobs?) that one thing seems, to my mind, a gigantic step backwards for the MMORPG genre.

Concept17

cpro said:
They probably won't be for a while, as it seems like they don't want to have to buy new servers to host all the trial people, then be left with sparsely populated servers once they leave. Expect them out in a week or two.

I caved and bought the game. How are the priest classes at non-healing aspects of combat?

I've been playing a Bear Shaman (melee priest) up to level 22, and so far its been pretty good. The class takes awhile to come into its own, and is still a little weak compared to actual melee classes.

Just remember, you don't really start to get a feel for your class till after you leave the beginning island at lvl 20ish.

Justin

cpro said:
I caved and bought the game. How are the priest classes at non-healing aspects of combat?

Priest of Mithra and Tempest of Set are both great healers and are able to solo just as well as any other class. The other priest class is the bear shaman and they are melee healers and from what I hear they start off real slow but are awesome later in the game. I am playing a PoM and it is awesome. I can solo like crazy and most importantly I can hold my own in PVP.

Also, collision detection is awesome.

Mammoth Blockade
goonmammothbv0.jpg

Concept17

DimmuBurgerKing said:
The zoned game world is probably the biggest thing keeping me from buying this game right now. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the huge, open worlds offered in WoW and LotRO, but for all of the advancements Funcom is touting (improved graphics, improved combat, improved.. uh.. boobs?) that one thing seems, to my mind, a gigantic step backwards for the MMORPG genre.

Its definetly not my favorite part of the game, but its no different than WoW in reality. I mean, theres more loading, but theres less of that "sudden texture change" into a new zone. It feels much more immersive than wow iin that sense.

Be glad you never played Asheron's Call. After that, everything is a step in the wrong direction.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
offtopic said:
Not really unless you consider all of TBC to be one big zone. I can fly whatever route I choose and go anywhere I want. Yes, instances are still, uh, instanced (zones).

There is rarely any loading between 'zones' in WoW...even when geography and mode of locomotion restricts you to specific paths in and out.

I know there's a difference, i played wow.

What i'm saying is that, in wow, to leave from one area to the other, first you must arrive at AREA A, walk the entire map till point B, which is the only entrance do AREA B. You can't leave through other sides because there's always a mountain that doesn't allow you to leave through that side.

In conan, there's no difference. You get on AREA A, you need to travel the entire map to Point B, where you open a door, see a loading screen and bam, you're in AREA B.

I am aware that in WoW this process is seamless (as seamless as the lighting and sky and colors turning from one layout to the other instantly can be), while in Conan you see a loading screen. I feel trapped when i play Guild Wars, when there's 8 billion people in the city and when i leave the city, there's only me and my one party member.

In conan, there's plenty of people running around.

While WoW's entire "open world" thing is Good, it's not a playing decision in conan. The game's graphics and ambients are so different than in wow (where most areas are just plain with mountains on the side) that i'd hate to see the environment suffer because some people don't want to see a loading screen every 30 minutes.

Concept17 said:
Its definetly not my favorite part of the game, but its no different than WoW in reality. I mean, theres more loading, but theres less of that "sudden texture change" into a new zone. It feels much more immersive than wow iin that sense.

That's exactely what i'm saying. While in WoW there's no real loading screens, it's not really FREE ROAM. You're still trapped to those 2-3 exit points.

Justin

Concept17 said:

Be glad you never played Asheron's Call. After that, everything is a step in the wrong direction.

Yep, Asheron's Call was amazing. You could load up the game and run in any direction. There was no zones at all just one big world.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Again, if you are flying you aren't limited to a handful of exit points. Also, the 'seamlessness' of the world is quite immersive despite the fact that geography/textures can change quite quickly.

While any sort of loading screen will be a big step back in terms of immersiveness, I don't know how AOC works with regard to zone dynamics. Can you use them to escape mobs (UGH)? I have visions of "TRAIN TO ZONE" in blackburrow :lol . Obviously, that would be a gigantic step backward.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I thought they couldn't add the flying to the old wow? A lot has changed since I stoped playing.

Don't think the train thing will happen, mobs stop chasing after a while and go home ala wow.

White Man

Man, I have tweaked every setting and tried just about everything, and the framerate is still so massively inconsistent. It goes between 10 and 40fps, but it's never ever stable. Just when I think it is, I'll turn and things will drop quick again. I want to like this game, but it needs some patchin' up. Crysis runs better than this.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
offtopic said:
Again, if you are flying you aren't limited to a handful of exit points. Also, the 'seamlessness' of the world is quite immersive despite the fact that geography/textures can change quite quickly.

While any sort of loading screen will be a big step back in terms of immersiveness, I don't know how AOC works with regard to zone dynamics. Can you use them to escape mobs (UGH)? I have visions of "TRAIN TO ZONE" in blackburrow :lol . Obviously, that would be a gigantic step backward.

I don't think you can change instances while in combat.

You can avoid mobs in wow by running away from them. Eventually they will stop chasing you. specially if you go back one map.

It is different, but really.. i don't see how this could affect anyone's decision.

Also, you can't fly around in the regular areas of Azeroth. Only in the expansion(s). (travel bats don't count, you're just flying around and not even controlling. Might as well be a fancy loadscreen, even tho we all know it isn't).

Ferrio

Banned
offtopic said:

Yes you can zone to avoid battles, done it quite a few times. Fortunately mobs go into "Evade mode" just like wow, and don't go on a killing spree on their way back to their spawn like old school EQ.

Concept17

After playing around with my virtual memory thanks to that guide, I'm having less trouble loading textures and the such, only now the hitching is worse. Hopefully my ram upgrade will help.

Proc

I just rolled a necromancer to try it out as an alt and I must say I am not enjoying him thus far. The fact that pets de-spawn during a zone change is frustrating. Also, the pets currently hold zero aggro, which I hope changes over time. I'm thinking of ditching this class altogether. The only thing that has me interested is their pvp abilities via aoe fear and the ability to spec for a root (oh an that they are eeeeeeevil)

Yaweee

So, I died, and now I can't do anything. All of the menus are greyed out, I can't access anything, and there are no 'resurrection points'. Anyone have any idea what I have to do?

grate

Defcon said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xVgoCZ75pE

I think AO had the same hack within it's first week.

'Added: May 06, 2008' during the open beta...
From what I gathered from the open beta forums when this was first posted was that there were no anti-cheat preventions in place as it was mainly a stress test on the servers. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

I don't see any current videos on youtube from either early access or the official launch.

grate

cpro said:
So, I died, and now I can't do anything. All of the menus are greyed out, I can't access anything, and there are no 'resurrection points'. Anyone have any idea what I have to do?

Sounds like something glitched, you should get a window in the middle of your screen asking you which graveyard/ress point you would like to ress at. I haven't had this occur before, best suggestion I can offer would be to relog.

kairu

FlyinJ said:
Hold your mouse over the latency readout at the bottom of the HUD.

I found that increasing the "virtual memory" setting from 0 to 50 megs increases performance for me dramatically. This is on a P4 3.4 ghz hyperthread 2 gigs of RAM GTS8800 384 meg XP system.

Thanks! got it so its pretty much always at 60fps!!

Proc said:
I just rolled a necromancer to try it out as an alt and I must say I am not enjoying him thus far. The fact that pets de-spawn during a zone change is frustrating. Also, the pets currently hold zero aggro, which I hope changes over time. I'm thinking of ditching this class altogether. The only thing that has me interested is their pvp abilities via aoe fear and the ability to spec for a root (oh an that they are eeeeeeevil)

they wont, pet classes are pretty much either Dots (nerco) or Buffs (Demonologist) in AOC, no pet tanking or anything like you see in WoW, now that I know this im prolly gonna reroll.

Justin who are you on Goonheim Ill friend you (my current char name in there is Kargyle).

Yaweee

I think the 'single player' part up to level 20 is a bit misguided on behalf of the developers. There will probably be many people, especially trial players, that will give up before the game opens up.

Justin

Just finished the first "instance" in the game. I put instance in quotes because there are 4 or 5 before this one but they can be soloed and dont really require groups. Anyway the instance is amazing looking. Once again the scale is huge. And for the people who dont have the game yet, group sizes are 6.First Boss

My settings are on low so they are not the best quality.

sanctom1uk9.jpg

Pool of Blood
sanctum2zd0.jpg

Second Boss
sanctum3hh3.jpg

Final Room
sanctum4ht2.jpg

Final Boss
conanfixedqr9.jpg

scantum6zt0.jpg

Edit: One of the goons found what might be a outdoor raid boss (level 80 elite). The model is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyUvj9o0Ek

Caved in and bought it. Since I played melee in wow, I wanted to try a caster here.

I'm looking at Necromancer and Tempest of set. Anyone played either have any insight into the classes? Thanks.

iamblades

I'm ingame right now, need a couple people to /tell carnia so i can get some people invited and promoted so they can invite everyone else.

Time to get the gaf train rolling.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the "trader" broken in Tortuga? Supposedly I should be able to store items and use an auction house when I talk to him, but I've tried double clicking on him and press "u", and nothing happens...

LowParry

FlyinJ said:
Is the "trader" broken in Tortuga? Supposedly I should be able to store items and use an auction house when I talk to him, but I've tried double clicking on him and press "u", and nothing happens...

Trader's disabled till further notice. Probably by the next patch, whenever that is.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finally got my 9500 GT and 2 GB of ram. All I have to say is...

HOLY SHIT! This game looks brutally awesome! I was able to kick it up to medium/high (messed with some settings) and still managed 60 FPS outisde of Tortage while getting around 40 in thw town. I am thrilled. Much fun to be had. =)

Also, some of the fatalities are god damned awesome. Especially with a cudgel. I'm lvl 12 now and getting into Feats. I'm probably fucking up royally, but I'm having fun.

White Man

ZombieSupaStar said:
they wont, pet classes are pretty much either Dots (nerco) or Buffs (Demonologist) in AOC, no pet tanking or anything like you see in WoW, now that I know this im prolly gonna reroll.

Justin who are you on Goonheim Ill friend you (my current char name in there is Kargyle).

Ugh, kinda makes me want to change classes now.

scoobs

is this game subscription based? If it isn't I will buy it in an instant.

EDIT: nevermind.... god i hate subscriptions.

ArtG

scoobs said:
is this game subscription based? If it isn't I will buy it in an instant.

EDIT: nevermind.... god i hate subscriptions.

I guess it depends on how much you play the game, but I don't get the mentality. You get what you pay for.

Flynn

It's been a million years since I played a PvP game, so I may not understand how things work, but is it usual for you to spawn in the same place and have people just sit there and kill you every fucking time you spawn. It's fucking obnoxious. You can't even quit the game from the death menu, so you're fucking stuck until the asshole decides to stop sitting on the spawn.

Kyoufu

Flynn said:
It's been a million years since I played a PvP game, so I may not understand how things work, but is it usual for you to spawn in the same place and have people just sit there and kill you every fucking time you spawn. It's fucking obnoxious. You can't even quit the game from the death menu, so you're fucking stuck until the asshole decides to stop sitting on the spawn.

Can't you change instances?

and wtf is with the long giraffe neck? :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Can't you change instances?

and wtf is with the long giraffe neck? :lol

Good question... me and a friend had a good laugh over it though.

Hate to say it but this game sounds like a glitchy mess.

Currently.... yeah. Zones closed down cause they cause your game to crash in a loop, bank/auctionhouse/mail not working. Odd UI bugs etc.

drizzle said:
That's exactely what i'm saying. While in WoW there's no real loading screens, it's not really FREE ROAM. You're still trapped to those 2-3 exit points.

The illusion of freedom is a good thing though. Even if it isn't game breaking it's still something all devs should strive for. Zoning should be kept to a minimum. And in WoW with flying mounts you have all the exit points you want.

For me Conan still looks mighty fine though and all games have their flaws.

SpectreRT

So I have the game sitting in its package beside me -- but I am reluctant to open the wrapper and install it.

I watched a lot of combat videos... and it seems really really choppy. Right before a fatality, each character halted their current animation to start the fatality animation. I was like..." well thats crappy looking..."

I am HUGE on quality animation. Is it really this bad...?

Surfheart

White Man said:
Man, I have tweaked every setting and tried just about everything, and the framerate is still so massively inconsistent. It goes between 10 and 40fps, but it's never ever stable. Just when I think it is, I'll turn and things will drop quick again. I want to like this game, but it needs some patchin' up. Crysis runs better than this.

Biggest framerate killers I've found are bloom and shadows. What sort of rig are you running?

Top Bottom