• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

dickroach

I haven't watched any of those ESPN talking heads shows in years, but Jemel Hill is just awful as a sports reporter.

the White House calling for a personality on a cable channel to be fired is so stupid though.

BigDug13

Didn't seem like a really controversial thing to say. I don't see them calling for the firing of Stephen Colbert for example. Then I googled her and saw the picture. Now I get the outrage.....

MIMIC

Banned
ESPN SportsCenter host Jemele Hill called Donald Trump a bigot and white supremacist on Twitter Monday night, and the backlash to these pretty standard and well-founded opinions compelled the network to give Hill a talking-to and to release a statement.

Hmmm...I initially thought she said it on TV.

This bitch needs to be fired ASAP.

tenor.gif

From Wikipedia

Jemele Hill said:
In an editorial describing why she could not support the Celtics, Hill wrote: "Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan. Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics."

Not a huge fan of hers but the "White House" is fucking ridiculous in demanding her fired for calling Trump what he is.

Lkr

From Wikipedia

Not a huge fan of hers but the "White House" is fucking ridiculous in demanding her fired for calling Trump what he is.
I just stalked you and your profile says you're from Southern California. How could you disagree with her take on the Celtics?!?!?

I just stalked you and your profile says you're from Southern California. How could you disagree with her take on the Celtics?!?!?

How could I disagree with her comparing a basketball team to Hitler? I dunno. It's pretty easy.

Half of my family is from Mansfield, Mass so I'm biased.

Deepwater

man her take is pretty lukewarm compared to whats get said on the radio. But she's held to a higher standard for reasons unkown

she's also from detroit so that probably explains her dislike of the celtics

To be honest, I absolutely hate how political ESPN has gotten. I used to watch it all the time and all I got was sports with none of the political crap. Nowadays it seems like they always wanna talk about politics and sports on the side.

On this topic, it was her personal twitter account, so I personally don't give a shit. This, though, is a perfect example of when people tell you - even when you're not famous - to be careful what you post online and in social media. It can always bite you in the ass. Hill created this situation for herself. Worth the headache? Maybe it is to her, or maybe it isn't. I surely wouldn't want that kind of headache though. The WH calling for her to be fired seems overkill to me, but again I don't really care about this issue. Obviously right wingers are gonna want her gone the same way that left wingers would if the roles were reversed. I actually think Hill is horrible at her job and ESPN should replace her because of that, but that's a whole other conversation that I don't feel like having.

To be honest, I absolutely hate how political ESPN has gotten. I used to watch it all the time and all I got was sports with none of the political crap. Nowadays it seems like they always wanna talk about politics and sports on the side.

On this topic, it was her personal twitter account, so I personally don't give a shit. This, though, is a perfect example of when people tell you - even when you're not famous - to be careful what you post online and in social media. It can always bite you in the ass. Hill created this situation for herself. Worth the headache? Maybe it is to her, or maybe it isn't. I surely wouldn't want that kind of headache though. The WH calling for her to be fired seems overkill to me, but again I don't really care about this issue. Obviously right wingers are gonna want her gone the same way that left wingers would if the roles were reversed. I actually think Hill is horrible at her job and ESPN should replace her because of that, but that's a whole other conversation that I don't feel like having.

lol you've said plenty

Lkr

How could I disagree with her comparing a basketball team to Hitler? I dunno. It's pretty easy.

Half of my family is from Mansfield, Mass so I'm biased.
Ahhh the Massachusetts will always show! Just having a go at you lol
man her take is pretty lukewarm compared to whats get said on the radio. But she's held to a higher standard for reasons unkown

she's also from detroit so that probably explains her dislike of the celtics
Bomani and Lebatard are always giving Boston so much shit on their shows and I agree about it making her take less inflammatory lol

Edit: lol at the espn has become about politics take, never fail someone always mentions that

DMVfan123

Banned
I already like Jemele and Michael Smith, but the hate Jemele is garnering just makes me want to watch the show more to support them

https://deadspin.com/espn-issues-craven-apology-for-jemele-hills-accurate-de-1804057051

I remember when Trump retweeted white supremacists propaganda from a nazi account, dangerously wrong anti-black fear mongering and all.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...mp/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

Then there was the time he etc etc etc

What makes that whites killed by blacks number 15%?

Im intrigued.

a little more proof that our sitting president is a white supremacist to shut up any "give more reasons" types, not that they'll probably actually be convinced but still

He called for the death penalty of the central park 5 even after they were exonerated by DNA evidence

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...tral-park-five-are-guilty-despite-dna-n661941

He settled with the Justice Dept. over accusations of rase based housing discrimination

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html

The time he didn't denounce white supremacists or well known KKK leader David Duke, as if never heard of him or the kkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9geYl9J_Mc

Then there was the whole birther movement where Trump questioned whether Obama was born in the US... Basically there's tons of evidence of Trump being a white supremacists, it's not like he's trying to hide it.

Hired Gorka, Miller and Bannon. Miller as Richard Spencers Idol, Bannon is Britebart King, and Gorka is just shitty(Oh and hired Jeff Sessions fuckface ass)

Pardoned Joe Arpaio, Super Racist Extraordinaire

Hasnt spoken up about signing about unilateral hate crime doctrine

UberTag

Jemele tweeted a statement
DJp6qbPWsAAZDVN.jpg:small
Glad she didn't apologize for stating the truth yet was still happy to go on record to hopefully put this matter to bed.
Hopefully the petty White House can go focus on some other distraction after tomorrow's Fox and Friends episode instead of harassing a woman and trying to ruin her livelihood.

Hesh

Apparently the White House Press Secretary e. al. don't understand what the First Amendment protects. The government trying to persecute a critic would go over like a fart in church.

Crocodile

Putting aside that she is 100% correct, the government trying to take action or calling for action to be taken against someone for what they said is an actual, egregious attack on free speech. I wonder how many "but mah free speech" people will stick up for her. I figure not many :/

Hesh

Putting aside that she is 100% correct, the government trying to take action or calling for action to be taken against someone for what they said is an actual, egregious attack on free speech. I wonder how many "but mah free speech" people will stick up for her. I figure not many :/

If only there were some "free speech" rallies that could unite against this sort of injustice...

If ESPN fired her I'd understand, as I'd understand that action coming from many businesses who don't want their hosts to get too partisan or controversial, even if whats spoken is the truth. I say this without knowing if or how ESPN has handled political issues from their other personalities though.

But my heart is with Carlos Danger is my Spirit Animal - one of the comments to the Deadspin article - on this:

The irony of President Trump and his ilk being able to spout of whatever bullshit they like with zero consequence because they're just ”tellin it like it is" while literally anyone that says anything against them has to apologize and grovel for fear of an angry backlash from mouth-breathing morons is... well, I don't know if it's depressing, hilarious, or outrageous anymore. It's something, that's for sure.

This administration has absolutely no leg to stand on when it comes to social media, making insults, or alleging the worst about people.

Mahonay

Banned
Trump has had many obvious fascist tendencies, like this one.

besada

Banned
Seems reasonable to me. The part about her saying what people already know, not the part about the government attempting to suppress political opinions by calling for her firing. That's some bullshit.

Hesh

If ESPN fired her I'd understand, as I'd understand that action coming from many businesses who don't want their hosts to get too partisan or controversial, even if whats spoken is the truth. I say this without knowing if or how ESPN has handled political issues from their other personalities though.

But my heart is with Carlos Danger is my Spirit Animal - one of the comments to the Deadspin article - on this:

This administration has absolutely no leg to stand on when it comes to social media, making insults, or alleging the worst about people.

ESPN has absolutely nothing to gain by firing Hill. By firing her they aren't going to all the sudden stop competitors and critics from piling on them for "pushing a liberal agenda". Those same cretins will laugh at Hill's plight and then, without skipping a beat, go back to shitting on ESPN at every turn. Meanwhile, firing Hill would be horrible optics to the people that follow and defend ESPN from said cretins and they would just end up making more enemies.

Also, that comment is spot-on: Over the past year the worst people in this country realized that their perceived penalties for mouthing off and/or lying didn't actually exist, and so now they understand they have carte blanche to say whatever they want and there's nothing anyone can do about it because they figured out they can combat logic and facts with more nonsense and by fueling their asinine battle of attrition with their never-ending stream of bullshit they'll never "lose".

hbkdx12

Jemele tweeted a statement
DJp6qbPWsAAZDVN.jpg:small

I fully agree with and support everything she said but i don't see how she could say what she said in a public fashion and NOT have people instinctively (albeit erroneously) link it back to ESPN which suggests the only other alternative would have been not to say it at all.

Top Bottom