• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

nickcv

Combat is pretty typical MMO style for the most part. You just have lot of flexibility in such things as weapons you use and aren't locked into specific set ups.

can you elaborate more on that part?

the settings seems interesting, but i don't know if i still care about a game with wow-like gameplay...

Effect

can you elaborate more on that part?

the settings seems interesting, but i don't know if i still care about a game with wow-like gameplay...

There are no classes or levels in the game. You buy various skills (around 500 I think they said) from various trees and can mix and match them. You can make builds and trade them and switch between them. So you can have a character using guns, with healing magic and something else. Then trade those skills out with more you've purchased(as you kill things you get skill points, easily I think they said) and have a character that uses destruction magic with crowd control abilities that uses melee weapons. So the system is skill based. The combination of what skills you have equipped are suppose to determine how enemies "con" to you and certain areas and dungeons will only let you and your group in if you have a certain combination of skillls spread across the group I think. Not sure if skills themselves can level up though.

Edit: Here's a video that explains the skill tree/system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8tzNUORZ4 - Dev Diary: Skill Wheel

Zaph

This is the best Video right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSUgKbKaWs&feature=youtu.be&t=14m47s

I have marked it with a awesome Dialog Cinematic.

Only bad i can see are the Combat Animations, i hope they will be better now/at release.
Aside from the developer running a demo with the character's thong hanging out (seriously, why?), that actually looks genuinely interesting - thanks for the link.

Huge fan of the Longest Journey games, and Tørnquist's influence really does come across in the dialog during that cinematic.

Grabbed a beta key from Gamespot, lets do this!

nickcv

There are no classes or levels in the game. You buy various skills (around 500 I think they said) from various trees and can mix and match them. You can make builds and trade them and switch between them. So you can have a character using guns, with healing magic and something else. Then trade those skills out with more you've purchased(as you kill things you get skill points, easily I think they said) and have a character that uses destruction magic with crowd control abilities that uses melee weapons. So the system is skill based. The combination of what skills you have equipped are suppose to determine how enemies "con" to you and certain areas and dungeons will only let you and your group in if you have a certain combination of skillls spread across the group I think. Not sure if skills themselves can level up though.

Edit: Here's a video that explains the skill tree/system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8tzNUORZ4

interesting system, but it's gonna be extremely hard to balance

Effect

interesting system, but it's gonna be extremely hard to balance

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't try to. It might be up to players to find out what balance works for them and that might be as far as they go because there might be so many combinations.

It's really this system that really sold me on the game in the end and got me to preorder. Even if it only comes somewhat close to working as intended I'll be happy. I'm tired of the strict class and level system in mmorpgs.

syko de4d

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't try to. It might be up to players to find out what balance works for them and that might be as far as they go because there might be so many combinations.

It's really this system that really sold me on the game in the end and got me to preorder. Even if it only comes somewhat close to working as intended I'll be happy. I'm tired of the strict class and level system in mmorpgs.

what i find great about the system is that i can get EVERYTHING with one Char (only other Factions would need a new char) and i do not need to do the same quests 5 times only to get 5 different classes ^^

Effect

what i find great about the system is that i can get EVERYTHING with one Char (only other Factions would need a new char) and i do not need to do the same quests 5 times only to get 5 different classes ^^

This too. This was one of the (of the few) things I really liked about Final Fantasy XI and XIV. You had to grind some to build up the new class but didn't have to start a whole new character and do everything all over again.

Wasn't sure if this was in the opening post or was posted before. This is about the crafting system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta4LTK4Z9Lk

syko de4d

crafting looks like Minecraft, u know u must put the right items in the right position to get one for example

--o----
oooooo
--o----

Could be a Sword or

ooooooo
-o-----o-
--o---o-
----o----

Is a Bow xD (okay no bows in game but yeahe..)

Ashuron

Oh, nice. Didn't think there would be any beta keys left in that gamespot link by the time I got home from work.

Thanks for the heads up.

The skill system is really neat, love the flexibility. The actual combat is kinda boring though. Don't know if it's the lack in polish on the visuals but it just feels off. The best aspect so far is combining your weapon/skills.

vazel

Banned
Some nice mission design. People fed up with generic MMO quests will want to give this game a try. I also like the humor I'm seeing. This year is looking to be jam packed with good RPG time sinks.

The skill system is really neat, love the flexibility. The actual combat is kinda boring though. Don't know if it's the lack in polish on the visuals but it just feels off. The best aspect so far is combining your weapon/skills.

I feel the same way in regards to combat as well and very well may be for the same reason. However, I am in love with the world/setting, lore, etc. I have yet to tinker with the crafting though...

nickcv

I feel the same way in regards to combat as well and very well may be for the same reason. However, I am in love with the world/setting, lore, etc. I have yet to tinker with the crafting though...

aaaaand i'm out :(

i had my fair share of mmorpgs with cool world/setting/lore and a boring combat...

LowParry

What's blah about it?

It's your standard, tab target, press 1 - 4, pew pew stuff. The skills system as a whole looks interesting of how you can make your character. But eh. To be honest, the modern type of setting I'm not really interested. After my 100th zombie, I turned it off and called it a night.

syko de4d

u can still move while casting, thats sth. that the most MMO´s don´t have. Lets wait until they replaced all the Placeholder Animation.

Some nice mission design. People fed up with generic MMO quests will want to give this game a try. I also like the humor I'm seeing. This year is looking to be jam packed with good RPG time sinks.

The quests are pretty standard MMO like 'kill x duders', they just do a neat job of presentation of them with alot of nice touches. Also the optional approach in how you do the steps of some quests is refreshing. Some puzzles included in the quests is real nice though, that always freshened things up in DDO for me.

From what I have seen from the videos combat reminds me about Champions Online.

Your kind of right, it does feel similar and a bit loose so far.

Uhm, are you guys in closed beta? if yes there is a NDA - only the weekend stuff is public.

I'm not, but playing on someone elses account whose in.

Hari Seldon

Just got an email about open beta for pre-orders. The marketing for this game sounds pretty good. Time to read more about it.

Edit: Nevermind, looking at it more I see screenshots of punk looking people fighting fantasy type monsters. Pass.

vazel

Banned
The quests are pretty standard MMO like 'kill x duders', they just do a neat job of presentation of them with alot of nice touches. Also the optional approach in how you do the steps of some quests is refreshing. Some puzzles included in the quests is real nice though, that always freshened things up in DDO for me.
Yea, after playing some more I came to the same conclusion. My standards are just so low when it comes to MMO quest design that the way it's done in Secret World felt so refreshing at first.

Ricker

Looks like they patched DX11 in to the weekend beta. Excited!

Yeah,just got a 590 MB patch for the beta weekend client and the game automatically checked DX11 in the options...will be interesting to see how it looks...first MMO with DX11...?

derFeef

Should we get a mumble server going or something for tomorrow? I don't know if you guys want that but we are already so few that it would be a good idea maybe.

Kem0sabe

As soon as i read that Funcom was planning to have an ingame cash shop with a subscription based game, i lost all interest...

Money grabbing bastards, after the ridiculously poor launch of AoC and this shit they be pulling with the business model of SW... bad way to service your fans.

Kem0sabe

Only cosmetic items, clothing and stuff.

But if your paying a monthly subscription, shouldn't those items be accessible to you without having to pay more?

I have no problem with cash shops... in f2p games, but in sub based games, i don´t think it´s very fair to your paying customers.

derFeef

But if your paying a monthly subscription, shouldn't those items be accessible to you without having to pay more?

I have no problem with cash shops... in f2p games, but in sub based games, i don´t think it´s very fair to your paying customers.

I don't think they will lock it out for ingame purchase, but that would be stupid, yes.
No idea how the public beta will show this stuff, I am very curious about those things too.

WARP10CK

Banned
As soon as i read that Funcom was planning to have an ingame cash shop with a subscription based game, i lost all interest...

Money grabbing bastards, after the ridiculously poor launch of AoC and this shit they be pulling with the business model of SW... bad way to service your fans.

It`s gonna be interesting when we finally have a release to guild wars 2 and see how it does against that game.

I have no problem with the guild wars 2 model at all but I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

derFeef

Just to let you guys know there is another 1Gb patch for the public client, my DL speed is crawling so I better be updating today...

Effect

If the cash shop is just customization then I don't think there should be to much of an issue. Though interested in seeing just what they are going to do with it.

I noticed the new patch this morning when I started up the game again.

Scirrocco

Looking back into it forever, I was really disappointed though that the large scale pvp area was removed. PvP seems relegated to fight clubs and warzones. If ToRtanic has taught us anything is that pvp is more important then most devs seem to think. But still, TSW seems pretty impressive.

Holy crap. Last i heard they were scaling WoD online back. If thats scaled back... wow. I'll need a new computer for sure.

More on topic, here's another video. I don't think it was posted. An hour long video at the IGDA from back in april

http://vimeo.com/41723065

Still watching but it looks good so far.

Edit: Are they drinking beer while presenting?

IGDA must be the best conference in gaming.

Kem0sabe

Comes out June 19.

Been in closed beta for a few days now, game is a massive disappointment. It's just terrible.

I have to say that this doesn´t surprise me coming from Funcom, after having played the AoC beta, and being promised time and again that they had a "magic build" ready for launch and that the poor state of the beta client was no indication of the final game...

I ended up buying AoC, but promised myself i would only buy another Funcom mmo if i got to try it beforehand extensively.

Gona try the beta weekend, managed to nab a key from gamespot.

Bru

Yeah,just got a 590 MB patch for the beta weekend client and the game automatically checked DX11 in the options...will be interesting to see how it looks...first MMO with DX11...?

LOTRO had DX11 patched in a while back but I don't know of any other MMOs with the option as of yet.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow, all this time I thought this was the CCP MMO. I signed up for the beta, finally got in, and played through a bit thinking this was the new thing from the guys who made EVE. I just closed it and thought well damn that's a bust... Reading this thread now I'm super relieved to find out this isn't the CCP mmo.

derFeef

Wow, all this time I thought this was the CCP MMO. I signed up for the beta, finally got in, and played through a bit thinking this was the new thing from the guys who made EVE. I just closed it and thought well damn that's a bust... Reading this thread now I'm super relieved to find out this isn't the CCP mmo.

How can you not be aware that it's not the CCP mmo?
I mean you register at a funcom site, you login in a funcom account, the funcom account is on the launcher and I bet there is a video etc.

?

Top Bottom