• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

LordAlu

The Metroid Marathon is back for the third year running this weekend.

CvJH8HtWgAABdpJ.jpg:large

Schedule is available here. (In your local timezone)
This year it's being held on Retro Gaming Live TV

Last year was great fun, and this year is looking great with some Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid races, as well as a full run of the finished AM2R!

I did the layouts last year (which are being used again) and some commentary, but this year I get to sit back, chill, and enjoy a weekend of Metroid goodness.

Zubz

Banned
So they didn't accept Slowbeef's run of The Immortal? That really sucks; I was hoping to see that. Plus, the dude played a huge role in LP's, and by extension speedrunning events such as AGDQ, becoming a thing in the first place. I know he's a bit older and has a different perspective on the medium than most speedrunners, but I definitely thought he'd get in. I hope they have in mind in case anyone drops out.

I like seeing a couple bootlegs/genuinely awful games in there alongside actual classics, though. It should be an interesting show!

Undertale on last. That's a nice change from some mega long JRPG.

Definitely; I can never bring myself to sit through an RPG speedrun. The only exception was Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and that was only because I was curious how to skip in that game (Plus the fact that the battle system makes late game battles doable at early levels). Undertale at an average pace can be shorter than most RPG speedruns, so it's a great fit.

E-flux

I started speedrunning Airblade for the ps2 a week or so ago, my first speedrun game and just earlier today i beat all of the previous level records.

If you have no idea what the game is about it's basically a mix between a tony hawk game and a platformer and the levels were super fun to route since all of the objectives could be completed in any order you want.

Here's my crappy quality run of the final level and PeteThePlayers full run of the game which is pretty good.
full run
final level

I was talking with him the other day and more competition would be great, airblade is super fun as soon as you get used to the sensitive controls.

I miss them days though. Back in 2012 when speedrunning was awesome to watch. Watched Cosmo, ZFG, Runnerguy and so many more while I was in Uni then to come home and watch more. Cosmos streams back then was the hypest.

I feel you. I think a big part of it is that chats were more genuinely enthusiastic about the whole experience. Like, as speedrunning has become more widely known, chats have become more and more meme-y, hyperbolic, inflammatory, etc. and the smaller ones have become somewhat hostile towards newbies because of that. Not quite the same experience, for sure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been sick three times in the last six weeks and I've been watching RPG speedruns as something I can drift in and out of. I generally prefer glitchless/minor glitches and definitely no TAS. Some games I used to speed through have some really fun skips and strats, stuff that was mainly theoretical when I was more interested in the field.

jediyoshi

Last 24 hours

Wind Waker HD barrier skip was discovered (while recording their inputs for analysis)
https://clips.twitch.tv/DeafUglyNeanderthalNerfRedBlaster

Someone recreates it without need for late game items
https://clips.twitch.tv/SilkyLazyBeanSpicyBoy

Someone recreates it in OG WW
https://twitter.com/dragonbane0/status/851550715705249792

Reddit comment with breakdown for context
https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/c...r_hd_barrier_skip_was_just_done_with/dg2uget/

TL;DR a streamer just made a huge step towards finding one of the most sought-after glitches in all of Speedrunning, which has the potential to cut over an hour from the Wind Waker HD Any% speedrun.
For those unfamiliar: Barrier Skip is the holy grail of Windwaker, possibly all of speedrunning.
See, around half way through the game you reach Hyrule Castle. At the edge of the castle is a magical barrier you're not supposed to get past until you've played through almost the rest of the game; beyond it is the final dungeon and final boss. Speedrunners have been trying for years to find a way to somehow bypass the barrier, as it would mean cutting out most of the second half of the game (two full dungeons plus several other long sequences). However, the barrier has proved remarkably sturdy; thousands of hours have been spent trying to find a glitch that can get past the barrier, but the only ones that have every worked either:
  • Require inputs too fast/precise for a human to manage and are only viable on Tool-Assisted Runs
  • Require items/setups so problematic that it doesn't actually save any time over just removing the barrier via the developer-intended method (i.e. playing the game normally)
  • Require the use of cheats
It's so sought after, there are/were over a thousand dollars in bounties put up by various speedrunners, to be awarded to whoever can find an RTA-viable way to bypass the barrier. Not sure how many of those are still in effect and if they apply to the HD version, but either way it demonstrates how badly the Windwaker community wants this glitch to be found.
Last year someone managed to skip the barrier for the first time, but repeating it has proven problematic. No one, up to this point, has found a reliable, repeatable way to skip it (which makes incorporating it into a RTA route impossible). Now, however, for the first time, a streamer accomplished the skip while recording his inputs, meaning they can now go back and see exactly what he did to get past it. At the very least this should make it consistently repeatable in a tool-assisted run, where they can be mimicked perfectly; ideally, this will help runners understand the precise mechanism behind the glitch and refine it into a repeatable, run-viable technique for RTA. If this happens, we're going to see at least an hour cut from the currently 3.5 hour Wind Waker HD Any% world record.
This isn't just exciting from the perspective of lowering times; cutting an hour off the run makes it much more accessible to runners (since you wouldn't be committing yourself for 4 hours any time you start a run), so we would hopefully see in a big surge in the category being run.
EDIT: As someone else pointed out, the time save wouldn't be as significant as I stated due to the need for the Iron Boots in this glitch, and item you can't get until after you visit Hyrule Castle the first time. However, it would still be a significant timesave even if they had to go get the Iron Boots then come back. There's also the potential for an Iron Boots skip that would let you get them early (no clue if this has been investigated, but if not it certainly would be if Barrier Skip wound up working).​

Stoze

Yeah I just saw a 1:35 WWHD run pop up in my Youtube feed and had to figure out what the hell happened. That's insane.

edit: The downside is that in doing the barrier skip, players don't have the Hookshot, only the grappling hook. That means after the puppet Ganon fight there's no way to get up to the final boss properly, so right now the solution is to move pots with fairies under the final boss door, break them, zombie hover (you bomb yourself to death but glitch jump out of it to hover upwards), and hope you collect a fairy on the way up and land on the balcony to the door. It's extremely inconsistent so far. Runners are already bemoaning any% because of it, but it's still very early and I bet that part will be become consistent (or an alternate method will be found) in the near future.

I was watching someone attempt that fairy thing and 10 times in a row he had bad luck, it's sooo random with no real way to make it consistant right now.

To be perfectly fair this is what happens when a game becomes so broken after all this time, it's just the nature of speedrunning and while it sucks to have such RNG in a speedrun now, it's still valid and legit.

I wonder if stacking pots on one another would do anything? guess someone tried that already.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hi all, don't know how active this thread is but I've recently gotten in Speedrunning myself. Specially, Mega Man 2.

My primary goal is to go under 33 minutes for Normal/Zipless. Right now I'm at 33:05 and have yet to put together a good enough run from start to finish (my sum of best segments is 32:30, so clearly I have the room for improvement.)

I'm hoping to do some good runs over this summer over my favorite games with these goals:

Super C: Clean run, < 2 deaths
Rescue Rangers: Clean run, < 3 deaths
Duck Tales: Perfect run, no deaths

And start running Specter of Torment and as well as improve on my Shovel Knight Any% of 1:06.

... Just thought it'd be interesting to share some goals anyone has going into the summer months!

LordAlu

Hi all, don't know how active this thread is but I've recently gotten in Speedrunning myself. Specially, Mega Man 2.

My primary goal is to go under 33 minutes for Normal/Zipless. Right now I'm at 33:05 and have yet to put together a good enough run from start to finish (my sum of best segments is 32:30, so clearly I have the room for improvement.)

I'm hoping to do some good runs over this summer over my favorite games with these goals:

Super C: Clean run, < 2 deaths
Rescue Rangers: Clean run, < 3 deaths
Duck Tales: Perfect run, no deaths

And start running Specter of Torment and as well as improve on my Shovel Knight Any% of 1:06.

... Just thought it'd be interesting to share some goals anyone has going into the summer months!
Personally, I need to get back in to practicing regularly. I haven't played AM2R in a few months, and short of doing the 100% tournament for Metroid Zero Mission I haven't played that. There's gonna be a Castlevania Rondo of Blood any% tournament later in the year that I need to practice for, and watching the Zelda ALTTP randomiser tournament has got me wanting to learn ALTTP too. :)

Released

Personally, I need to get back in to practicing regularly. I haven't played AM2R in a few months, and short of doing the 100% tournament for Metroid Zero Mission I haven't played that. There's gonna be a Castlevania Rondo of Blood any% tournament later in the year that I need to practice for, and watching the Zelda ALTTP randomiser tournament has got me wanting to learn ALTTP too. :)

Do it! Randomizer is super fun :>

TUSR

Banned
Why, what happened?
Spent a couple hours making the OT for AGDQ earlier this year, "reserved" the thread in the Create OT, and posted in here.

Then someone made a thread, which wasn't the best and didn't update any info/bare bones.

A good chunk of discussion happens in the Twitch chat room we have been using the previous few years. But it was still frustrating to go through all the proper channels I know of and get slighted.

I definitely could have brought it up with your or another mod.

LordAlu

Spent a couple hours making the OT for AGDQ earlier this year, "reserved" the thread in the Create OT, and posted in here.

Then someone made a thread, which wasn't the best and didn't update any info/bare bones.

A good chunk of discussion happens in the Twitch chat room we have been using the previous few years. But it was still frustrating to go through all the proper channels I know of and get slighted.

I definitely could have brought it up with your or another mod.
Ah yeah, I remember that. You didn't report it though?

Top Bottom