• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono Details Deep Down

Why the fuck does this even exist? Just do a gritty medieval fantasy game like the original reveal trailer, not some Assassins Creed shit.

I think the reason is more like Soul Sacrifice, an excuse to make the game mission based? only need to make some small hub world in the future setting, the rest of the game is doing missions in random generated dungeons. I think this is a game that can goes on forever without ending, it's designed so they can add more dungeon parameter/weapon/enemies to dungeon parameter and you can replay the missions over and over again. kinda like Monster Hunter probably.

Perkel

Banned
I think the reason is more like Soul Sacrifice, an excuse to make the game mission based? only need to make some small hub world in the future setting, the rest of the game is doing missions in random generated dungeons. I think this is a game that can goes on forever without ending, it's designed so they can add more dungeon parameter/weapon/enemies to dungeon parameter and you can replay the missions over and over again. kinda like Monster Hunter probably.

Probably this. Still i would prefer immersive hub instead of neo new york pseudo crap.

Wtf? You can't fool us Ono, sorry.
DeepDown3.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0002.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0010.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_001.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_003.jpg

ztjZmNp.jpg

This looks nothing like the reveal. On another note, i'm excited for the beta they're gonna have.

Yeah the downgrade is massive and clearly visible but it doesn't make or break the game.

What Deep Down needs:

- to be dark, gloomy and dirty
- unforgiving, even frustrating at times
- to be challenging yet fair
- long
- to seed fear in the player when starting every new level (think how for the first time you were dropped by the Gargoyles in the upper level of Tower of Latria - hearing that heart pumping, darkness all around I was like NOPE.gif and turned the game off)

Basically they need to rip off the Souls games FOR GOOD. They will be the first "Soul" like game on the market next-gen and if they are true to the formula they will sell VERY WELL.

I need this game already :'( :'(

The lance seems to have a reticule which is a far better battle system for that weapon. Different limbs deal different damage so now you can aim for the leg or head. Real curious to see how swords work.

I actually wouldn't mind if all weapon have aiming reticule, the sword will then have different button for stabbing and slashing, slashing can be affected by analog stick to determine the direction

yeah..as long as this is online online, they lose a sale from me, I'll probably borrow or rent it down the line, but I won't support this move, dragons dogma was one of my favorite experiences from this gen, its sad to see they think this soft drm is the best way to go.

Gbraga

The game is called a “Reading RPG” for two reasons: first because of the idea of “reading memories” mentioned above, and then because of the theme of “reading emotions” The emotional theme comes from the fact that various dungeons correspond to different emotions. For instance by touching a statue and reading its emotions one can feel the grudges of a vicious mind that will then characterize the resulting dungeon.

RyzeWiR.gif

OnNDBr2.gif

2San

So do you need an internet connection for the solo stuff as well?

Wondering if the game becomes harder with more people. I always wanted a hassle free MP Dark Souls, but they need to up the difficulty if you have more players.

Yeah the downgrade is massive and clearly visible but it doesn't make or break the game.

What Deep Down needs:

- to be dark, gloomy and dirty
- unforgiving, even frustrating at times
- to be challenging yet fair
- long
- to seed fear in the player when starting every new level (think how for the first time you were dropped by the Gargoyles in the upper level of Tower of Latria - hearing that heart pumping, darkness all around I was like NOPE.gif and turned the game off)

Basically they need to rip off the Souls games FOR GOOD. They will be the first "Soul" like game on the market next-gen and if they are true to the formula they will sell VERY WELL.

I need this game already :'( :'(

this game is going to be Monster Hunter for the west I think.

nynt9

Please please please not be Japan-only (not that I wouldn't import it, but managing multiple PSN accounts is annoying and we don't know if the PS4 will be like the PS3 or the Vita in terms of multiple accounts)

Please please please not be Japan-only (not that I wouldn't import it, but managing multiple PSN accounts is annoying and we don't know if the PS4 will be like the PS3 or the Vita in terms of multiple accounts)

it was first shown at US in PS Meetings, and Sony is codeveloping the engine, there's no way this is not releasing in US

Perkel

Banned
Wtf? You can't fool us Ono, sorry.

DeepDown3.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0002.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0004.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0010.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_001.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_003.jpg

ztjZmNp.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_004.jpg

This looks nothing like the reveal. On another note, i'm excited for the beta they're gonna have.
I really don't know anymore. Maybe that was simply staged vertical slice and what they shown later was simply part of game in dev cycle. It is not like game will come out at launch or half a year after that. We don't even know if it will be late 2014 or 2015 title. Considering how much time they have to do things i think their target render is possible.

I mean game doesn't even have release window and they show game that look v.good. With 1+ year game should look phenomenal.

I mean for example this is confirmed running real time on PS4:

dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif

Beside that fire in that target video that target video is worse than real time tech demo from Quantic Dream. QD also has proven track record of delivering better looking game that their tech demos.

Ran rp

What the hell have they been smoking?

Player touches statue, reads a "rage" memory. More aggressive brutes show up. Player reads "fear". fleet-footed, horror game type enemies that hurl venomous vomit or something and can sense and hunt you down from a mile away appear. Player reads "lust". Stunning, binding, blood sucking enemies appears. Dungeon themes too.

Something like that.

sublimit

Banned
Their fighting games were all 60 fps. If we're including PC versions, then all of them with very little trouble.

Then it must be relatively easy for them to achive this on PS4.It's the quality of the first reveal that i'm doubting the most judging from the recent screens.

Ono said:
The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.

We had better have the option to turn off the light bar on that controller.

sajj316

Just wondering .. is there a fps cap on remote play games? Its nice that the PS4 game is 60 fps but sucks if the limit is 30 via remote play.

StevieP

Banned
I really don't know anymore. Maybe that was simply staged vertical slice and what they shown later was simply part of game in dev cycle. It is not like game will come out at launch or half a year after that. We don't even know if it will be late 2014 or 2015 title. Considering how much time they have to do things i think their target render is possible.

I mean game doesn't even have release window and they show game that look v.good. With 1+ year game should look phenomenal.

I mean for example this is confirmed running real time on PS4:

dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif

Beside that fire in that target video that target video is worse than real time tech demo from Quantic Dream. QD also has proven track record of delivering better looking game that their tech demos.

You should still be weary of anything running at 1080p with perfect IQ. And also keep every other generation's console reveals in mind, and what they told you then and how it ended up.

You should still be weary of anything running at 1080p with perfect IQ. And also keep every other generation's console reveals in mind, and what they told you then and how it ended up.

Quantic Dream's track record in topping their tech demos with their actual games is sitting at 2 for 2 right now.

PSY・S;81608273 said:
Player touches statue, reads a "rage" memory. More aggressive brutes show up. Player reads "fear". fleet-footed, horror game type enemies that hurl venomous vomit or something and can sense and hunt you down from a mile away appear. Player reads "lust". Stunning, binding, blood sucking enemies appears. Dungeon themes too.

Something like that.

Sounds exactly like it should be. Also room types should change with the memory i.e. more traps, less traps, more water, more lava etc.

Jack cw

Most tech demos were matched and some surpassed. This was the case since the PSone/N64 era. What happened 2005 was a mix of Sonys arrogance and Nvidias incompetence, were devs didnt know the final PS3 specs a few months before production. So they made cgi renders with specs in mind given by Sony and the lies of Nvidia.

EGM1966

Wasn't too interested before but that feature list sounds pretty interesting if they get everything to come together well.

IvorB

This is all sounding a bit to good to be true. I need to see a nice, long gameplay chunk to understand how all this stuff is going to pan out.

DieH@rd

Banned
Everything sounds great. But I hope there will be good narrative hook to the game, and off course good loot system.

Ushae

Banned
We had better have the option to turn off the light bar on that controller.

Red - In combat
Green - In a forest
Blue - Swimming
Yellow - Basking in the glory of the sun

Who the fuck thought the lightbar was a good idea? Jesus.. like I'm going to looking down at my controller to check out the colour. I hope that shit doesn't reflect too much in plasma displays.

Perkel

Banned

Deep Down meeting trailer didn't have perfect IQ. Objects cliped, there was evident aliasing. If you don't believe me try Gamersyde 1080p video. Aliasing in that video is very evident.

Point is it was not some CG. IT was clearly run on some hardware (probably "speced to PS4" PC). 2006 Sony E3 bullshots were all CGI.

One thing i don't belive is achievable now is that Fire physic. But we don't really know anything about compute abilities of PS4 since it should have more compute power than most of top GPU in PC market.

Orayn

After not knowing what to think about the initial "reading RPG" announcement, this is actually sounding pretty appealing. Definitely shares some DNA with Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma, which is great; the Souls-esque art style, possibility of 60 FPS, and randomized elements are also grabbing my attention.

Top Bottom