• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Jedi2016

Thx, will check that out. But is that still valid for the current version of the game (Horizons etc...)?
For a beginner, I wouldn't say it matters. Most of the core gameplay aspects of the game haven't changed at all. I wouldn't worry about things like multicrew or any of that until you get used to how the overall game works.

Effect

Not sure if this was a good idea but in addition to selling the Python I also sold the Gunship and between the two outfitted a newly bought Anaconda. Still need to work on the core internals but I pretty much have all the weapons and optional slots outfitted. Jump range at max is 25ly and min is 20ly. This is unmodded though. Thankfully I have 30 million left over for rebuys after all was said and done. Going to park this though and get back into one of the smaller ships for the time being though as there are few things that need to upgraded.

Here is the current loadout.

I need to focus on the thrusters at the moment as those are 7D. This is already a boat so I need to address that first and the part is expensive. From how I'm understanding things my 7B power plant and my 7A power distributor are better then the lower 8 grade versions. So they need to be replaced but I don't have to rush. When I jumped back to my home system I quickly went into the nav beacon to do a test combat run. Only messed around with some smaller ships but this thing burned through them insanely fast. With all those energy turrets with most of the power into weapons they didn't drop much at all. Need to test them on something larger though. I wanted to do a test on a FAS but it left the area before I could reach it.

Docking this thing is going to be interesting. I'm used to flying into the station pretty fast, even with the python. Not going to work with this thing. I use a docking computer off and on. I might have to have it always equipped on this ship. Did it manually the first time though just to get a feel for it and going have to be extra careful.

8kZXxmK.png

It's big but I kinda like flying it. Liking the design helps a lot too. Just need better thrusters and I'll feel more comfortable taking her out.

SmartBase

Has anyone fitted out a ship for multicrew? Had a friend buy the game despite me telling them not to so I figured crewing up might be worth a look at but there are hardly any useful or fun weapons. No large multicannon turrets, no huge turrets of any kind, and gunners can't target modules so cannons are out of the question. Am I really left with just boring lasers and frag cannons?

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide for someone who haven't played elite before?

I am looking forward to the ps4 release and would like to read a bit about how to start.

Elite is a 'do what you want' kind of game. Your best bet is to get a bit lost in the mechanics and try to find something that you enjoy.

Also, don't feel embarrassed at making a few grand on a mission while people on forums are boasting about 10 million credit missions.

My basic advice is try the tutorial missions then get stuck in. Do data delivery jobs at the start since they are easy and make a little money for upgrading your ship. Improve the FSD (jump drive) asap, so to can get around easier.

The only golden rule is to check your 'insurance' (death tax) cost and always keep at least that amount in savings. Otherwise you'll lose everything if you die.
Insurance is fairly low and deaths should be rare, so this is not hard to do.

There are lots of videos on all aspects of the game so just Google things when you get stuck (or ask here).

ObsidianAnt's videos are good, as someone else said. Horizons has little to no effect on the early game.

I need to focus on the thrusters at the moment as those are 7D.

No you don't. The 7D thrusters are perhaps the last thing that needs to be upgraded in an Anaconda for reasons I don't feel like explaining right now since it's 5am. Take my word for it as an owner of an Anaconda since July of 2015.

Get the shield you want (you should only be using that class 6 shield if you're using it for trading. Otherwise, get a 7A or 7C biweave shield on it). Engineer the shield.

Fill out your weapons with the ones you actually want (experiment until you find the combination that suits your play style best), fill out your utility mounts and internal compartments with cargo, shield banks, fighter bays, HRPs, whatever. Engineer the weapons and utility mounts. HRPs if applicable.

Then upgrade your hull armor to military grade. Engineer it.

Then upgrade the power plant to A. Engineer the B power plant you have with a level 1 overcharge or something for now. Or for however much power you need based on the all the other engineering mods you rolled up to now (only engineer as much power as you need).

THEN
upgrade to 7A thrusters and engineer them. Not a moment sooner. You can throw a level 1-3 dirty on the D's and you'll be fine until then.

Effect

No you don't. The 7D thrusters are perhaps the last thing that needs to be upgraded in an Anaconda for reasons I don't feel like explaining right now since it's 5am. Take my word for it as an owner of an Anaconda since July of 2015.

Get the shield you want (you should only be using that class 6 shield if you're using it for trading. Otherwise, get a 7A or 7C biweave shield on it). Engineer the shield.

Fill out your weapons with the ones you actually want (experiment until you find the combination that suits your play style best), fill out your utility mounts and internal compartments with cargo, shield banks, fighter bays, HRPs, whatever. Engineer the weapons and utility mounts. HRPs if applicable.

Then upgrade your hull armor to military grade. Engineer it.

Then upgrade the power plant to A. Engineer the B power plant you have with a level 1 overcharge or something for now. Or for however much power you need based on the all the other engineering mods you rolled up to now (only engineer as much power as you need).

THEN
upgrade to 7A thrusters and engineer them. Not a moment sooner. You can throw a level 1-3 dirty on the D's and you'll be fine until then.

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'll focus on a better shield generator and engineering the power plant first then.

Nerix

Elite is a 'do what you want' kind of game. Your best bet is to get a bit lost in the mechanics and try to find something that you enjoy.

Also, don't feel embarrassed at making a few grand on a mission while people on forums are boasting about 10 million credit missions.

My basic advice is try the tutorial missions then get stuck in. Do data delivery jobs at the start since they are easy and make a little money for upgrading your ship. Improve the FSD (jump drive) asap, so to can get around easier.

The only golden rule is to check your 'insurance' (death tax) cost and always keep at least that amount in savings. Otherwise you'll lose everything if you die.
Insurance is fairly low and deaths should be rare, so this is not hard to do.

There are lots of videos on all aspects of the game so just Google things when you get stuck (or ask here).

ObsidianAnt's videos are good, as someone else said. Horizons has little to no effect on the early game.
Thanks, will keep that with the insurance in mind ;) I was wondering anyhow, how the games deals with death (losing everything, money, a few items...)

I want to pick it up with a few friends. Is this a good game to do stuff together (missions, travelling through the universe / planets etc.)? Missed that in NMS.

Thanks, will keep that with the insurance in mind ;) I was wondering anyhow, how the games deals with death (losing everything, money, a few items...)

I want to pick it up with a few friends. Is this a good game to do stuff together (missions, travelling through the universe / planets etc.)? Missed that in NMS.

I've not done much multiplayer so I don't know how it handles doing missions together. I've not had time to play the new multicrew mode yet. You can do community goal missions as a multiplayer 'wing', which is a lot of fun.

When you die you have to pay 5% of the purchase cost of your ship to respawn in the last station you docked at. You also have to spend 5% of the cost of any modules/weapons if you want to keep them. If you can't afford it you get sent back to the starter system and starter ship!
You lose all your cargo, passengers, exploration data and any bounty vouchers, so you should dock at stations regularly to hand in the bounties and data.
You don't lose anything you leave docked, like alternate ships and modules in storage.

The death penalty is significant, but not crippling.

lol

Poor Drew Wagar.

“Yes, I had anticipated her death,” wrote Wagar of Salomé in his blog. “Clearly that was a highly probable outcome. Personally I was hoping she would make it. She had a speech all ready to go—she liked speeches. That will never see the light of day now because you changed the story. But this wasn’t scripted, there was only preparation for as many eventualities as we could foresee.”

Ars has reached out to both Wagar and some of the Smiling Dog Crew principals, but as of press time no one has responded.

Volimar

I'm shocked that no one from the SDC was available for comment. They seem to love talking especially when it's about themselves.

cyrok

Hey guys so I really want to get back in to ED. I have the season pass and all that and I have about 500,000 credits. I don't know where a good place to be is. I'm currently in the MAIA System. I feel a bit lost to be honest. I know the game has SO many things to do so Ill give you guys a rundown of what I enjoy.

I like trading/exploring and combat. Bounty hunts were fun but I feel like I'm not equipped well enough to do combat a lot. I do want a multi-crew ship, would be fun to have one of those and I do really want to get in to the community of in game. I also want to contribute to my faction (Which I believe is Zachary Hudson) in a meaningful way as well.

I'm in a Viper Mk IV.

Hopefully, I can join up with the GAF group sometime.

Trouble

Banned
I swapped out a class 5 cargo pod for a fighter bay on my Anaconda, since I rarely fill up the hold during my long haul Space Truckin'. Now to grind this %2 cut noob up to a competent pilot. That's probably going to take forever since the only fighting I do in the Anaconda is fighting off interdictors (I never run, fuck them, plus usually good bounties on them).

joecanada

Hey guys so I really want to get back in to ED. I have the season pass and all that and I have about 500,000 credits. I don't know where a good place to be is. I'm currently in the MAIA System. I feel a bit lost to be honest. I know the game has SO many things to do so Ill give you guys a rundown of what I enjoy.

I like trading/exploring and combat. Bounty hunts were fun but I feel like I'm not equipped well enough to do combat a lot. I do want a multi-crew ship, would be fun to have one of those and I do really want to get in to the community of in game. I also want to contribute to my faction (Which I believe is Zachary Hudson) in a meaningful way as well.

I'm in a Viper Mk IV.

Hopefully, I can join up with the GAF group sometime.

Did you try bounty hunting in a nav beacon zone? like just the basic bounties on wanted pilots? if you do it in a zone with space cops then it's pretty much risk free, wait till you see someone who is wanted , you can even further wait until the cops are on them and then open fire all you then need to do is avoid any direct fire and collect the bounties.

for example sometimes I might just be running system to system doing something else but I'll stop at a nav beacon to fight, rest at nearest station to collect bounties, then move on.

faction powerplay I find way too much grind to even consider but maybe it's been updated recently.

cyrok

Did you try bounty hunting in a nav beacon zone? like just the basic bounties on wanted pilots? if you do it in a zone with space cops then it's pretty much risk free, wait till you see someone who is wanted , you can even further wait until the cops are on them and then open fire all you then need to do is avoid any direct fire and collect the bounties.

for example sometimes I might just be running system to system doing something else but I'll stop at a nav beacon to fight, rest at nearest station to collect bounties, then move on.

faction powerplay I find way too much grind to even consider but maybe it's been updated recently.

Ya I'll give that a go. the faction powerplay does seem like a grind. I heard that trading doesn't make as much money as before. Any tips on ways to get some cash? I'll prob start practicing with bounties first.

Trouble

Banned
Ya I'll give that a go. the faction powerplay does seem like a grind. I heard that trading doesn't make as much money as before. Any tips on ways to get some cash? I'll prob start practicing with bounties first.

Long haul delivery from Sothis/Ceos seems still viable from a test run I did this past weekend. You'll want to reload the game through several modes (solo, open, group) to find enough missions. I made about 15 million on a pretty unoptimized Anaconda run.

You'll need to have a fuel scoop and ideally a ship with good jump range and cargo space. I started off doing it with a Hauler back in the day and kept upgrading until I had Anaconda money.

Not sure if this was a good idea but in addition to selling the Python I also sold the Gunship and between the two outfitted a newly bought Anaconda. Still need to work on the core internals but I pretty much have all the weapons and optional slots outfitted. Jump range at max is 25ly and min is 20ly. This is unmodded though. Thankfully I have 30 million left over for rebuys after all was said and done. Going to park this though and get back into one of the smaller ships for the time being though as there are few things that need to upgraded.

Here is the current loadout.

I need to focus on the thrusters at the moment as those are 7D. This is already a boat so I need to address that first and the part is expensive. From how I'm understanding things my 7B power plant and my 7A power distributor are better then the lower 8 grade versions. So they need to be replaced but I don't have to rush. When I jumped back to my home system I quickly went into the nav beacon to do a test combat run. Only messed around with some smaller ships but this thing burned through them insanely fast. With all those energy turrets with most of the power into weapons they didn't drop much at all. Need to test them on something larger though. I wanted to do a test on a FAS but it left the area before I could reach it.

Docking this thing is going to be interesting. I'm used to flying into the station pretty fast, even with the python. Not going to work with this thing. I use a docking computer off and on. I might have to have it always equipped on this ship. Did it manually the first time though just to get a feel for it and going have to be extra careful.

It's big but I kinda like flying it. Liking the design helps a lot too. Just need better thrusters and I'll feel more comfortable taking her out.
I also traded in my Federal Gunship and Python for an Anaconda as well a long time ago and i don't regret the decision. The Anaconda is far better, it's a great combat and transport ship plus it's got a great jump range. It's easily one of the best ships in the game. There's no task too big for an Anaconda, I love this beast :D.

Jedi2016

The best thing is how many internal compartments it has. I have the usual shields and the like, along with a SRV, multiple passenger cabins, multiple cargo bays, and even a goddamn fighter bay. And it's armed to the teeth. And it still has a 25ly jump range. Best all-rounder? Yeah... by a long shot. All my other ships are super-specialized by comparison.

Burny

I had hoped for some Event Horizon like stories for the generation ships and it seems they're delivering. I love that they're starting to introduce audio logs.

Bring in the space legs, so we can be chased by space Zombies!

Here's how it'll play out: You'll be able to dock to a generation ship and board it. You have to kill Zombies to get data scans from the late crew. Some engineer will want specific scans to manufacture a cool uprade to your ship. But the types of Zombies are different and not every type drops the data scans you need. There'll be spawn tables to make it all feel like the space leg encounters are more dynamic and about one of six such tables has the type of Zombies you need. Which spawn table you get is rolled when entering the ship, so you can re-instantiate them by leaving and entering again. You can also form a squad of up to four players space legging around for some cooperative fun. But obviously, in a four people squad, your risk is lower, because scaling enemies and loot drops according to player number is an arcane art Frontier never encountered, because none of them ever played something like Diablo 2. So, to balance this out, the loot gets divided by the number of players participating in the raid. The scans will of course all count towards your maximum of mats inventory, so you'll have to permanently drop other mats you might still need to make room and most mats you can't collect, because they're a waste of space, as there'll still be no per-mat inventory space.

Oh, I almost forgot! It will take some 4 hours of farming space Zombies to get the necessary data scans for the engineer to create the cool equipment item (8 hours with friends, because loot sharing and no enemy scaling of course!). But it'll be an RNG roll and in about one of 6 cases you get the cool thing, while the other 5 cases will be worthless, non-tradeable junk. So prepare to collect mats for at the very least 6-10 rolls. Because that's what a fun risk vs. reward mechanic is like, isn't it? Risk wasting time or just invest so much time, that you minimize your risk. Erm, wait. The only variable is time and the risk converges to zero the more time you spend? Oh, nevermind, let's still call it risk vs. reward mechanic, that has a nice ring to it!

DrBo42

I had hoped for some Event Horizon like stories for the generation ships and it seems they're delivering. I love that they're starting to introduce audio logs.

Bring in the space legs, so we can be chased by space Zombies!

Here's how it'll play out: You'll be able to dock to a generation ship and board it. You have to kill Zombies to get data scans from the late crew. Some engineer will want specific scans to manufacture a cool uprade to your ship. But the types of Zombies are different and not every type drops the data scans you need. There'll be spawn tables to make it all feel like the space leg encounters are more dynamic and about one of six such tables has the type of Zombies you need. Which spawn table you get is rolled when entering the ship, so you can re-instantiate them by leaving and entering again. You can also form a squad of up to four players space legging around for some cooperative fun. But obviously, in a four people squad, your risk is lower, because scaling enemies and loot drops according to player number is an arcane art Frontier never encountered, because none of them ever played something like Diablo 2. So, to balance this out, the loot gets divided by the number of players participating in the raid. The scans will of course all count towards your maximum of mats inventory, so you'll have to permanently drop other mats you might still need to make room and most mats you can't collect, because they're a waste of space, as there'll still be no per-mat inventory space.

Oh, I almost forgot! It will take some 4 hours of farming space Zombies to get the necessary data scans for the engineer to create the cool equipment item (8 hours with friends, because loot sharing and no enemy scaling of course!). But it'll be an RNG roll and in about one of 6 cases you get the cool thing, while the other 5 cases will be worthless, non-tradeable junk. So prepare to collect mats for at the very least 6-10 rolls. Because that's what a fun risk vs. reward mechanic is like, isn't it? Risk wasting time or just invest so much time, that you minimize your risk. Erm, wait. The only variable is time and the risk converges to zero the more time you spend? Oh, nevermind, let's still call it risk vs. reward mechanic, that has a nice ring to it!

*low whistle* That went south faster than the red wedding.

Burny

*low whistle* That went south faster than the red wedding.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Loot gets divided equally, IFF all players are of equal "Ground Combat" pilot's federation rank! A new rank introduced, ranking you by how many space zombies you've already shot in the face while space legging. Of course, the distribution is weighted by player rank. In a group of three players with one "Elite" and two "N00b"s, the Elite player will get 80% and each "N00b will get 10% of the loot of course. OI! That's fair and sensible, because, errr... the "Elite" player risks more expensive equipment and stuff! :p

I refuse to believe it was scripted. SDC played the long con and pulled off one hell of a troll.

I wonder if he'll actually use "Harry Potter" in his next novel hahaha. I would imagine it'll be something close to it, but not exactly that.

Volimar

I refuse to believe it was scripted. SDC played the long con and pulled off one hell of a troll.

I wonder if he'll actually use "Harry Potter" in his next novel hahaha. I would imagine it'll be something close to it, but not exactly that.

Commander Potter wouldn't be too jarring I imagine.

joecanada

if not doing long haul missions like sothis, you can do straight trading but I highly recommend getting an app for that. there's programs, apps , that show you the current price of stuff and where to sell. you want to be a trader you best be going hardcore and plotting out fancy routes!!

edit - although I find bounty hunting or nav beacon wanted hunting still adds up quicker. however check youtube as well , usually some cash methods floating around out there, I used to stack skimmer missions for example (it was patched :( )

Serrato

I always chuckle at the range of Sensors. I know that there is like constant ECM from all ships (isn't that the way they described it?) but even then, being able to detect and lock on something at a woopin 13.7 km is like so risible. I know it's for ''Game Balance'' (laughing here).

I do wonder if they will ever come with long range weapons if the Sensor Ranges will be boosted according to it. You know, like Artillery Cannons or Cruise Missiles.

Volimar

Their usage of tonnes has been problematic for a while. Every unit of cargo is considered to weigh the same whether it is Gold or Lavian Brandy. I suppose that differences would be too hard on traders when it comes to plotting courses, but it's just another example of handwavium to counter to players insisting on immersion.

Nerix

That sounds amazing, looking forward to this kind of community events. But it's probably more for players with more experience and nothing a noob with his first ship could participate in.

Regarding the MP: is it possible to meet up with a friend (each with his own ship) and do missions together? Multicrew sounds nice, but is something similar possible while flying your own ship?

vector824

This wasn't fun. I was goofing around in a Low CZ and my canopy got popped by a couple guys with PAs.

I made it. Worth the grid resistors though.

DrBo42

That sounds amazing, looking forward to this kind of community events. But it's probably more for players with more experience and nothing a noob with his first ship could participate in.

Regarding the MP: is it possible to meet up with a friend (each with his own ship) and do missions together? Multicrew sounds nice, but is something similar possible while flying your own ship?

There are no missions that can be shared in a wing, nor are any missions designed for it. It's insanity. Most you can do is wing up and hit a CZ or RES in a wing and make some money. Or go mining together.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't know what possessed me, but even though I've never made & edited a video in my life I spent the weekend learning how to do it, downloading free software, staying up way too late, ran around space recording all manners of footage to use, and in the end I've managed to submit an actual working video for the CTRL + ALT + SPACE competition: The Explorers.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...etition-2017?p=5489683&viewfull=1#post5489683

It ain't great, lol! The sound levels bother me, using my S5 to record speech was less than ideal, but hey it's a video nonetheless! It was quite the learning experience, so much newfound respect for youtubers and people who make videos like this regularly.

DrBo42

I don't know what possessed me, but even though I've never made & edited a video in my life I spent the weekend learning how to do it, downloading free software, staying up way too late, ran around space recording all manners of footage to use, and in the end I've managed to submit an actual working video for the CTRL + ALT + SPACE competition: The Explorers.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...etition-2017?p=5489683&viewfull=1#post5489683

It ain't great, lol! The sound levels bother me, using my S5 to record speech was less than ideal, but hey it's a video nonetheless! It was quite the learning experience, so much newfound respect for youtubers and people who make videos like this regularly.

Pretty good job.

After spending several day journeying from Maia to the Orion Nebula, spending several days there, going to the Flame Nebula, then going back, I made just short of 40 million credits. I'm 51% through Ranger, and I'm also building rep with the Federation (I'm already Allied with Pleiades Resource Enterprises). Going to start heading to the center of the Milky Way next.

Also amazed by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1P7AAQv9HU

Someone noted that they created Multicrew matchmaking for the Cannon Community Goal. It's a bounty hunting CG, although one of the tasks is also protecting other members. Not sure how they account for that.

Anyway, I think that's really cool! But, people are noting that, whenever you're multicrewed, you take an instant pay cut for the bounty due to the rank dependency. Even at helm, right? CG progression is based on the size of the bounty being turned in, so that's a straight nerf.

Reddit is also saying that if you are part of the crew, your progression doesn't even go towards the CG.

You're gimping yourself if you try to crew up for the CG. Good times.

DrBo42

Someone noted that they created Multicrew matchmaking for the Cannon Community Goal. It's a bounty hunting CG, although one of the tasks is also protecting other members. Not sure how they account for that.

Anyway, I think that's really cool! But, people are noting that, whenever you're multicrewed, you take an instant pay cut for the bounty due to the rank dependency. Even at helm, right? CG progression is based on the size of the bounty being turned in, so that's a straight nerf.

Reddit is also saying that if you are part of the crew, your progression doesn't even go towards the CG.

You're gimping yourself if you try to crew up for the CG. Good times.

Paging Sandro NoRemarko Sammarco of Haze fame

Sibylus

Banned
CG was easy for the little time I spent with it. Bought another Type-7, outfitted it, and made 12 million credits.

Fitting it with 60+ business class seats and winning against interdiction with a full load of passengers is way more fun than it ought to be.

Unicorn

Welp. Tried playing again after a long hiatus and my custom HOTAS settings are gone.

That just killed all motivation to play as now I would have to spend about an hour to relearn and re-setup my bindings.

Why did they vanish, and if they are stored somewhere.... where are they stored?

DrBo42

Welp. Tried playing again after a long hiatus and my custom HOTAS settings are gone.

That just killed all motivation to play as now I would have to spend about an hour to relearn and re-setup my bindings.

Why did they vanish, and if they are stored somewhere.... where are they stored?
They're in there somewhere. Think it's in appdata/local/username/frontier developments or frontier_developments/binds.

You can open an explorer window and type in %appdata% to get there quick.

Top Bottom