• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

I know Totalbiscuit isn't a reviewer but he was very positive about the game in his WTF series.

https://youtu.be/lptcmV6k_u4

"I think it may very well be one of the best of the series"

And Bloodworth of Easy Allies acknowledged the uneven writing and the bugs but still seems to really like the game.

All I'm saying is if you're enjoying it don't let other people's negativity permeate your experience. Half the people who post about how bad the game is haven't even played it. I see a lot of people who feel bad that they're going against the opinion that has taken shape on the internet and that's sad thats where we are as a society with the way we absorb critique.

megalowho

Austin Walker with his eloquent and incisive take on the game:

Waypoint: The Worlds of ‘Mass Effect: Andromeda' Aren't Worth Saving

Mass Effect: Andromeda aspires to walk the line between of the bright chrome of the original trilogy's space operatics and the dusty frontiers of space westerns like Firefly, Trigun, or the sandier moments of Star Wars. But it can't balance (let alone smoothly blend) the two, and instead, it offers an uneven combination of each: a garish settlement constructed of modular cubes that suggests no amount of "frontier struggle"; an outlaw spaceport where things always wrap up far too neatly; a mustache-twirling villain who monologues about genetic destiny—only to have his views on racial essentialism supported by the game's own text.

Over and over, I wondered why I kept playing. I didn't like this place. 70 hours later (and the credits successfully behind me) I'm still not exactly sure why I didn't quit. Andromeda needed a different hero. I never wanted to save these worlds.

Keasar

Watching the TotalBiscuit WTF video, I just realized something, didn't they hype up right until launch or something about how when travelling to planets etc. you'd always be "inside your ship looking out the window as you travelled" and it wasn't going to be "you just teleport onto the surface", no loading screen between landing and disembarking or embarking on your ship? That is what I am seeing though, player landing on a planet and just *poof* they're there. And having to click a button to get onto the ship again.

Small problem on the whole picture but I am surprised that thing is just "gone" (if it ever existed) and I didn't think about it watching the previous clips of the game.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed and agreed with the GiantBomb review. It is concise, to the point, adresses the main issues without getting bogged down in attempts at contrived journalistic "flair", which can often result in the game in question taking a backseat to the writers impulse to score some forced, and often far-fetched points.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
70 average is absurdly low for this game. I know it isnt as good as the previous entries but 70 on metacritic means it sits next to these games released this year.

iIOqfr2.jpg

That's ridiculously harsh.

I have no problems with anyone giving this game a 7 but a 70 metascore is basically a death sentence for this game.

Ovek

7Member7
Watching the TotalBiscuit WTF video, I just realized something, didn't they hype up right until launch or something about how when travelling to planets etc. you'd always be "inside your ship looking out the window as you travelled" and it wasn't going to be "you just teleport onto the surface", no loading screen between landing and disembarking or embarking on your ship? That is what I am seeing though, player landing on a planet and just *poof* they're there. And having to click a button to get onto the ship again.

Small problem on the whole picture but I am surprised that thing is just "gone" (if it ever existed) and I didn't think about it watching the previous clips of the game.

Yes they did, I don't think they mentioned it close to the launch of the game though.

70 average is absurdly low for this game. I know it isnt as good as the previous entries but 70 on metacritic means it sits next to these games released this year.

iIOqfr2.jpg

I have no problems with anyone giving this game a 7 but a 70 metascore is basically a death sentence for this game.

Yeah I feel my scale and what others use don't line up. A 7 is a good game, but just one you play, enjoy, never think about again. Rarely does a 7 game is a gigantic game with what I think is great combat, a huge sweeping story that is not as good as past ME games but way better than what most games ever even attempt to have. Huge beautiful worlds to explore. A really fun multiplayer component. I'm on PC, it's been running very well, if there are breaking bugs in the other systems then ok, that's inexcusable but overall I don't get the 7s. This game is great just not as good as the original trilogy.

Mossybrew

Really enjoyed and agreed with the GiantBomb review.

Yeah, same here. At first I was just so stoked to be playing a new Mass Effect that I overlooked a lot of flaws. 60 hours later after finishing the game a lot of the points in that review ring true. I got my money's worth of enjoyment (though wishing now I'd bought a physical copy I could get some resale on) but ultimately it's a disappointing game in most respects.

If this game was polished it would have scored higher, I think it would have ended up high 70's.

Who knows though, those gifs at launch were devastating and set the tone for the game in the public's eye.

After having sunk 25 or 30 hours into it I'm having fun and would score around 80. The characters are pretty great most of the time and there is a decent sense of wonder. I totally understand people's anger though, a beloved franchise like Mass Effect deserves better treatment

pa22word

If this game was polished it would have scored higher, I think it would have ended up high 70's.

you have way more faith in the gaming press than I do >.>

All of the structural problems inherent in this game first reared their ugly head in Inquisition, and that game pretty much got roses thrown at it like all other bioware games. If the game was polished like most expect an AAA game I see upper 80s maybe 90s, and GOTY noms for it.

What this game did I think more than being mediocre design wise was that it ripped the pretty wrapping paper off of Bioware's stale and boring design philosophy and laid bare all the problems most were ignoring because of how "pretty" and "grand" what bioware was "doing" was. Similar to the Bethesda Argument, Bioware has always gotten a lot of slack from most corners because they "offer something at a level of presentation no one else does".

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This game is actually pretty great once you accept the lack of polish and the retardedness of the dialog. Intentionally or not, I had some amazing laughs thanks to some of the dialog.

Also, I find the game much more enjoyable with my custom Ryder (used standard at the beginning). The standard Ryder is generic as fuck.

And the whole crew (that I didn't like at all at first aside from Drack) really starts to grow on me.

TechJunk

I fell asleep yesterday playing this game, in the afternoon. Totally out of character for me, I realized this game does not have its hooks in me.
I find the combat, which j usually look forward to, to be very lackluster so far, only a couple hours in.
Hopefully it gets better.

iIOqfr2.jpg

What's wrong with that? Some of those games are better than it. Have you played them all?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I fell asleep yesterday playing this game, in the afternoon. Totally out of character for me, I realized this game does not have its hooks in me.
I find the combat, which j usually look forward to, to be very lackluster so far, only a couple hours in.
Hopefully it gets better.
Pump up the difficulty.
Playing on Insanity now and while frustrating at times, it's certainly much more interesting overall.

iIOqfr2.jpg

lots of games in that list that I would play over Mass Effect

Jheez didn't even realise the PS4 versions meta had been steadily dropping since release, at a 70 now that's pretty crazy.
With all the wealth of footage I've seen and Bioware's commitments to patches/fixes, I'm definitely showing up in 6-8 months when the game is about £20 max.

Top Bottom