• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted series 41.7 million sales

Dargor

aha love this series to death but are those numbers accurate? Seems insanely high

The article says the numbers were given by Sony, so there is no way for it to be more accurate than that.

OP: Congratulations, some of the best games I have ever played.

xviper

well earned, Uncharted 2 was the highlight of my reasons to purchase a ps3 and it's worth it

although i hope we don't see another Uncharted for a long time, maybe in 2022

EBE

What is that? Ten million more than Gears franchise? That's outstanding. But I'm having trouble believing it lol

EBE

The announcement comes straight from Sony.
I don't doubt the source I'm just surprised at the popularity. A primarily single player focused game over another renowned for its online multiplayer? I suppose the larger PlayStation base makes up for it

Great news anyway

Ah, I see it counts the Nathan drake collection. That'll bump things up as well

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't doubt the source I'm just surprised at the popularity. A primarily single player focused game over another renowned for its online multiplayer? I suppose the larger PlayStation base makes up for it

Great news anyway

Online multiplayer doesn't always guarantee a bigger fanbase. Beyond that, Uncharted's multiplayer is pretty robust, with plenty of people online at any given time. I'm not shocked at the result at all.

EBE

Online multiplayer doesn't always guarantee a bigger fanbase. Beyond that, Uncharted's multiplayer is pretty robust, with plenty of people online at any given time. I'm not shocked at the result at all.
Just always assumed gears was the bigger franchise. Thought it would have bigger pull, anyway. And yeah, I've heard good things about the uncharted multiplayer.

We're not seeing either franchise go anywhere

Great news anyway

Gears 4 barely made any impact with xbox one.

nowhat

We're not seeing either franchise go anywhere
Other than Naughty Dog saying they're done with the franchise? Now it certainly is possible Sony would assign another studio to continue it, but that's not given. It is also possible ND would return to the series, but that would be the first time they've done it with any franchise.

EBE

Gears 4 barely made any impact with xbox one.
Something under 4 million, yeah? That is discouraging. Barring tremendous success elsewhere in the Xbox division and a serious growth in install base, I don't see the series returning to its gears 3 sales, but it can be quite comfortable where it is.
Other than Naughty Dog saying they're done with the franchise? Now it certainly is possible Sony would assign another studio to continue it, but that's not given. It is also possible ND would return to the series, but that would be the first time they've done it with any franchise.
Good points. But I look at the money to be made and I think it's not unlikely that it will continue in some form.
I mean even until fairly recently there was talk of that uncharted movie project. Someone somewhere in Sony is desperate to keep it alive

i-Lo

I am glad for ND. Uncharted 4 despite some minor mechanic related issues (for me) felt less like a product that does things by the numbers and far more than a labour of love whilst iterating on certain narrative aspects for the better. In addition, and I mince no words, UC4 was by far felt like an adventure for grown ups with interpersonal relationship dynamics feeling natural.

There are games, and then there are works such as KoTOR II, The Witcher series, Uncharted 4 which pushes the medium a bit farther into mainstream where they are seen standing toe to toe with other works from other mediums.

Anyway, this also makes me wonder how many copies TLoU has sold.

Great news anyway

Gears 3 was the last game in the franchise I heard any real hype over and that was in what 2011?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gears 3 was the last game in the franchise I heard any real hype over and that was in what 2011?

Yeah and they sold the franchise, made buckets of money, and moved on.

The Gears franchise was the first time I went from being a fan, enjoying the plot and the gameplay, and then seeing what money and business does. I don't think ND would sell the franchise, but the mindset still remains.

Sure Gears of War still has someone who worked on it. It was still sold. The creative talent and the hype are all new.

I was watching a video on Gears 4 eastereggs and they talked about how some people grew up playing the original games. I've gamed for 25+ years and I can't say I grew up with it. It did a have a huge marketing impact on how I view games. There are memories that aren't really that impactful in 2017. Uncharted has always impressed me, but it's easy to see the industry move on.

I don't know how I'll feel about Drake in say 10 years.

Melchiah

Tetris was never bundled

Kx4KGau.jpg

DonF

oh wow, that's a lot. Congratulations, ND. Whats the most successful sony IP in term of numbers? Gran turismo?

llien

Ah, so it's lifetime sales (I thought it was current gen only).
Still very impressive, of course..

One of my fav series! almost passed it up altogether but got Drake's Fortune when it went greatest hits back on the PS3 around the time Uncharted 2 came out. Steam rolled through the first game, loving every second of it and went back and bought Uncharted 2 right after finishing the first game.

I just found a copy of Uncharted: Lost Legacy for cheap, so I grabbed that too. Amazing series!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Great news anyway

Or stop believing that single player games are dead. STOP listening to everything that Giant Bomb says.

thelastword

Banned
8.7 million in 2016. It was a sales juggernaut for sure.
Oh my, so it should hit 10 million and more easily with the influx of PS4 users this holiday...I Imagine Lost Legacy should pull in some really good numbers when all is said and done too....maybe 6-7 million for a non-numbered/side adventure UC by next year???

Personally, i think ND's biggest game is before them in TLOU2....but congrats to them on an amazing series.....UC1 still has a special place for me and is my favourite....

Blueingreen

Great news anyway

Gears fell off years ago, you say renowned for its multiplayer when the last time I checked Gears 4 wasnt even in the top 10 XBL most played games as with Halo, it's absolutely bonkers how much hype these games have lost this decade, imagine travelling back to 2007 and having to explain that.

Top Bottom