• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Ever

Banned
d880fb42f4074fbe772f7tryft.jpg

Plat is up next

Do it to meme Breakfast

zkylon

zkylewd
been thinking about plants today

i feel they've mostly been a positive addition in becoming like tiny bits of decisionmaking and none of them are exploitable or game breaking or anything

for me they feel kinda random tho. like when i try to escape, i never keep a track of which plants are alive and shit, so if i get a blast cone or not it's just luck. same with the other plants, it just feels like a random bonus you can get rather than something strategic you plan around, like bigger objectives like dragon or buffs or even the river crab

i wonder if pros or high elo people do keep track of them, for me it just becomes impossible to keep track of that many things at least

about time lol

I want to try Dota 2 but 2 things are keeping me from it.

1- They seem to release new champs like fucking once a blue moon or something.

2- Not enuff waifu champs for my likely and given 1 I don't think that will change anytime soon :/
Everyone seems like some fat beefy monster dude and from what lil I know about Dota being a OTP isn't good given how much of an effect your choice in champ can have.

But it looks fun.
Got HOTS simply cause of the 20 free champs thing that's been spreading across FB. IDK what to expect from that.

zkylon

zkylewd
probablem with me and doto is that the game is made purposely obtuse and unsatisfying to play

like there's probably merit to it as a strategy game but as a brawler style thing like league it just feels awful to play

Leezard

been thinking about plants today

i feel they've mostly been a positive addition in becoming like tiny bits of decisionmaking and none of them are exploitable or game breaking or anything

for me they feel kinda random tho. like when i try to escape, i never keep a track of which plants are alive and shit, so if i get a blast cone or not it's just luck. same with the other plants, it just feels like a random bonus you can get rather than something strategic you plan around, like bigger objectives like dragon or buffs or even the river crab

i wonder if pros or high elo people do keep track of them, for me it just becomes impossible to keep track of that many things at least

about time lol

Since I'm playing bot, I'm keeping track of the blast cone near the bot river brush on the red side. If I'm blue side I go kill that cone to make sure the enemy jungler won't get that extra easy gank.

I've been having fun with HotS, it's not bad as a mindless quick game

I feel the same way. I'm only playing for the Overwatch rewards, but I'm having a good time just trying out all the champions and not being invested in winning.

I'm starting to get into professional play. It's a level I kinda wish I could be at, but I've resolved to improve, so I'm playing ranked alone a lot more now. I had finals recently but still tried to play one ranked game a day. It's actually less stressful when I just focus on what I'm doing. I'm climbing pretty steadily, went like 2-8 in placements, but I've won 10 of my last 12 after I decided to just queue up as ADC instead of fill. Gold should be pretty easy to reach.

I want to try Dota 2 but 2 things are keeping me from it.

1- They seem to release new champs like fucking once a blue moon or something.

2- Not enuff waifu champs for my likely and given 1 I don't think that will change anytime soon :/
Everyone seems like some fat beefy monster dude and from what lil I know about Dota being a OTP isn't good given how much of an effect your choice in champ can have.

But it looks fun.
Got HOTS simply cause of the 20 free champs thing that's been spreading across FB. IDK what to expect from that.

The champion release cadence and patch release cadence are pretty dang long. I think it has good and bad sides to it personally. I've watched more dota than I've played and I can say one interesting thing is that sometimes the long patches go through 2+ metas which is something we never see in League given the release schedule.

Do not be a OTP in dota unless you're playing a champion that almost nobody ever picks. I think in the long term it's a disservice to your skill to be a OTP in anything (if you're playing for skill and not just for fun) in any game. Short term, it can be a good way to learn the game I guess.

HotS is, to me, a fun game to play in short bursts. The things that distinguish good players from bad players are knowing how to soak exp (because there's no gold in that game, so EXP is king), knowing how to go to objectives, and having good positioning.

probablem with me and doto is that the game is made purposely obtuse and unsatisfying to play

like there's probably merit to it as a strategy game but as a brawler style thing like league it just feels awful to play

I'd chalk that up to Dota being the 'source' of the moba pattern, personally. Older games had different design philosophies and by the time dota 2 came around I think too many people were invested in certain dota design philosophies to make changes. Newer games on the scene (e.g. League) could afford to try different stuff because they didn't have the same kind of history.

Ever

Banned

Veigar was super salty after the game because Ori started 0/6/0 and he was really fed up until mid game

Code:
Deùs:  VAYNE
Deùs:  PLEASE
Deùs:  REPORT
wontstopp earned an S- on Orianna
Phofox earned an S- on Ashe
Deùs:  THIS CHILD
wontstopp:  0-6 to s-
Gator Raid GAF:  gg wp
wontstopp:  smd veigar
Deùs:  orianna
Deùs:  you did nothing
Deùs:  you did nothign
wontstopp:  most dmg
Deùs:  ABSOULTELY NOTHIGN
wontstopp:  get fucked
Skorne117 left the lobby
Deùs:  u got fed off ofvayne
wontstopp left the lobby
Deùs:  the shittiest
Deùs:  adc
TomTinker left the lobby
Deùs:  currently
MiqroRatios left the lobby
Deùs:  but cucks
im titled left the lobby
Deùs:  liek to fking
Deùs:  play her
OniKakiage left the lobby
Gator Raid GAF:  SUPER LUL
Gator Raid GAF:  being this mad
Deùs:  like dear fucking christ
Gator Raid GAF:  over a video game
Deùs:  its promos
Deùs:  every promos
Gator Raid GAF:  this mad
Gator Raid GAF:  over a video game
Deùs:  its not just a video game
Phofox:  i feel for u.
Deùs:  its something you can make money at
Phofox:  but bro stay good hearted.
Deùs:  then its just not a fucking game
Deùs left the lobby
Gator Raid GAF:  This is plat fam
Gator Raid GAF:  not making any money
Phofox:  jesus
Phofox left the lobby
hi im xerxes left the lobby

P O W E R L U L

Nev

Banned

like there's probably merit to it as a strategy game but as a brawler style thing like league it
just feels awful to play

Period. It's the Killzone 2 of MOBAs. Feels like LoL underwater, ugh.

JulianImp

Veigar was super salty after the game because Ori started 0/6/0 and he was really fed up until mid game

P O W E R L U L

Hate it when people get overly complacent about an early game lead, proceed to waste it come the mid to late game, and then complain that they lost despite clearly being the better player or something.

Of course there're games where you did all you possibly could but somebody else messed up, but even in those cases most of the time you'll be able to find a couple things you could've improved to have a better shot at winning rather than just looking for a scapegoat, but I know how salty you can get when someone plays so bad it's easy to place all the blame on them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Since I'm playing bot, I'm keeping track of the blast cone near the bot river brush on the red side. If I'm blue side I go kill that cone to make sure the enemy jungler won't get that extra easy gank.
whenever i play top i generally "soft" track it (as in, look for the icon when it appears) cos with quinn i can really safely w to hit it

but yeah for mid i'm like 100% not paying attention to it

I'd chalk that up to Dota being the 'source' of the moba pattern, personally. Older games had different design philosophies and by the time dota 2 came around I think too many people were invested in certain dota design philosophies to make changes. Newer games on the scene (e.g. League) could afford to try different stuff because they didn't have the same kind of history.
doto is probably great for its audience, it's just so fundamentally different from league in the key ways that make league fun that i just can't seem to grasp it whenever i play it

like i'm like, i play league cos i like playing an anime superhero character that shoots lasers and dashes all over the place and dodging spells and whatever, and the rate at which you do that matters a lot to make you feel powerful and anime and shit.

doto is nothing like that by design, which allows them to do fancy shit with items and have a huge map and runes and couriers and shit, so there's merit to how they built the game, it just gives the game a very different feeling

Period. It's the Killzone 2 of MOBAs. Feels like LoL underwater, ugh.
yeah, turn speed, high cooldowns and point and click stuff doesn't feel very satisfying coming from league

also league animation, sound and vfx work should not be understated in making everything you do feel awesome.

doto does some things right about that, like that walrus punch thing, but overall i feel spells and autoattacks in that game feel very muted in comparison to league

tho to be fair i mostly played death prophet and windrunner and ther kits are like blegh

zkylon

zkylewd
ye maybe i just played the wrong champions, i tried about 10-15 and none of them felt good

only one i felt was satisfying was the akali assassin lady, but her kit didn't seem like much fun

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ye maybe i just played the wrong champions, i tried about 10-15 and none of them felt good

only one i felt was satisfying was the akali assassin lady, but her kit didn't seem like much fun
If you're playing Dota 2 you have to pick Timbersaw. He's like if Naut got to have lots of fun abilities...

Who are yout alking about? Templar Assassin (has invisibility) or phantom assassin (her kit is built around critting people. Also I agree with Soda that timbersaw is a lot of fun.

Why do people say shit like "stay silver" as if it means anything? I'm annoyed that it actually bothers me a little. Dude queued up as support but when his duo didn't get ADC, he proceeded to go Riven and take all my CS. Then he shit-talked how low my CS was and the low impact I had on the game. Aughhhh, just after I was getting into a groove just focusing on improving my own play too.

JulianImp

Why do people say shit like "stay silver" as if it means anything? I'm annoyed that it actually bothers me a little. Dude queued up as support but when his duo didn't get ADC, he proceeded to go Riven and take all my CS. Then he shit-talked how low my CS was and the low impact I had on the game. Aughhhh, just after I was getting into a groove just focusing on improving my own play too.

It's awfully hard to stay centered when that kind of shit happens, but you should just report the guy for not playing his role while also flaming you in chat and move on to the next game (or just call it quits for the day if you got too tilted from that, since often enough nothing good comes from playing while tilted, at least for me).

Had a couple games with my cousin and some of his mates on our low-level accounts, and low-level LoL's such a different beast... Double top, many champs getting much worse because of no keystones, and having no champs in your pool to the point I was playing freaking support Nasus (rather than Rakan/Blitz)... I even tried jungling and got mauled to death by raptors as my third camp to the point we just said "fuck it" and I just went to lane top alongside Poppy.

There's four of us now, so hopefully they'll find a fifth soon, since I think it's a lot better when there isn't a random guy that got roped into a 4-man premade and is completely out of the loop. At the very least, I think going into matches as a 5-man will really help dillute the "look for someone you can blame instead of yourself" attitude, and will probably improve my game skills thanks to the increased communication and actually knowing the play patters of your teammates.

Artdayne

doto is probably great for its audience, it's just so fundamentally different from league in the key ways that make league fun that i just can't seem to grasp it whenever i play it

like i'm like, i play league cos i like playing an anime superhero character that shoots lasers and dashes all over the place and dodging spells and whatever, and the rate at which you do that matters a lot to make you feel powerful and anime and shit.

doto is nothing like that by design, which allows them to do fancy shit with items and have a huge map and runes and couriers and shit, so there's merit to how they built the game, it just gives the game a very different feeling

yeah, turn speed, high cooldowns and point and click stuff doesn't feel very satisfying coming from league

also league animation, sound and vfx work should not be understated in making everything you do feel awesome.

doto does some things right about that, like that walrus punch thing, but overall i feel spells and autoattacks in that game feel very muted in comparison to league

tho to be fair i mostly played death prophet and windrunner and ther kits are like blegh

You hit on a lot of things that I would talk about in a comparison between League and Dota. I've spent by far, much more time in League than I have in Dota. I only recently started playing Dota and there are a lot of things I really love about the game but there are at least a couple very key things about League that will keep me coming back.

First of all, I love the map in Dota 2. I like the advantage that elevation gives you, I love the day/night cycles in which specific heroes get big benefits during the night and the night is inherently more dangerous because your vision is reduced on the map.

I initially didn't think I'd like the deny mechanic but I like it a lot. The ability to deny gold and experience is pretty huge, and what's especially cool is that you can deny tower gold/xp.

I also love the courier system, I find that much superior to League's needing to go back to base everytime you buy. I like the items, they play a much more active role. I also generally prefer the visual aesthetic of Dota heroes, there's just a lot more variety. I also feel like heroes in Dota are more defined in their roles, from my experience intelligence/AP type characters are generally terrible at pushing even late into the game.

With that said, the thing League does so well is how the champions play. The amount of skillshots in League, the level of depth that a lot of the newer champions have, even just how cool they are to play, I just don't get that same experience playing Dota. Darius, Lee Sin, Yasuo, Lucian, Warwick (rework), Jayce many more. There are so many that just have a lot of depth and are really fun to play. Dota has Invoker and Meepo which are probably more challenging than any champion in League but they are the exceptions. I feel like the heroes in Dota end up feeling a bit too samey to play in comparison to League because so much of the complexity is reliant on the on use items which you actually end up building on a lot of the same heroes. There's more item complexity but it's not deep enough to make up the difference in champion/hero design.

zkylon

zkylewd
yo costy mind putting chroma lux on sale already

You hit on a lot of things that I would talk about in a comparison between League and Dota. I've spent by far, much more time in League than I have in Dota. I only recently started playing Dota and there are a lot of things I really love about the game but there are at least a couple very key things about League that will keep me coming back.

First of all, I love the map in Dota 2. I like the advantage that elevation gives you, I love the day/night cycles in which specific heroes get big benefits during the night and the night is inherently more dangerous because your vision is reduced on the map.

I initially didn't think I'd like the deny mechanic but I like it a lot. The ability to deny gold and experience is pretty huge, and what's especially cool is that you can deny tower gold/xp.

I also love the courier system, I find that much superior to League's needing to go back to base everytime you buy. I like the items, they play a much more active role. I also generally prefer the visual aesthetic of Dota heroes, there's just a lot more variety. I also feel like heroes in Dota are more defined in their roles, from my experience intelligence/AP type characters are generally terrible at pushing even late into the game.

With that said, the thing League does so well is how the champions play. The amount of skillshots in League, the level of depth that a lot of the newer champions have, even just how cool they are to play, I just don't get that same experience playing Dota. Darius, Lee Sin, Yasuo, Lucian, Warwick (rework), Jayce many more. There are so many that just have a lot of depth and are really fun to play. Dota has Invoker and Meepo which are probably more challenging than any champion in League but they are the exceptions. I feel like the heroes in Dota end up feeling a bit too samey to play in comparison to League because so much of the complexity is reliant on the on use items which you actually end up building on a lot of the same heroes. There's more item complexity but it's not deep enough to make up the difference in champion/hero design.
yeah

i personally find a lot of the stuff in doto very interesting to peek at from afar, but playing it, it just felt so 'wrong' coming from league. turning speed and the low "apm" felt kinda bad for me, like i was doing something wrong

but some of the stuff like supports leashing jungle camps and the weird lack of scaling for mages and the very strange unique interactions champions have with each other, items and unique mechanics always surprise me

i also really dislike the artstyle but that's a personal thing, i just find most characters in doto to look kinda lame and boring, and the skins are so bad lol

idk, these two games are so different it's hard to think they belong to the same genre

zkylon

zkylewd
the longer u wait the longer a new skin comes out and i buy that instead

and that would suck for you wouldn't it rito

hmm

maybe i'm not thinking this right...

zkylon

zkylewd
luX5J4b.png

ofc the button to decline a match is right where the slots for the reroll skins are

also tried to repair the client and it's still stuck on potato mode

i want to like the new client.....

Nekofrog

Banned
i would love another run of academy skins. the first set was a really, really solid 750 skin line, some of which are actually genuinely great (academy ekko)

zkylon

zkylewd
i would love another run of academy skins. the first set was a really, really solid 750 skin line, some of which are actually genuinely great (academy ekko)
academy vlad is also pretty good

problem with that skinline is that it's probably stuck with being a 750 skin line, can't really do much for vfx with that theme

Leezard

nice client rito
i banned ivern
p1 banned darius
enemy team has 4 players

You seem to be very lucky. This bug was posted on reddit and a rioter mentioned that it happens a couple hundred games every couple of billion games. It's fixed next patch though.

Bungie's

i forget do ultimate skins ever go on sale? thinking of getting pulsefire ezreal only for the profile backgroound. maybe it will go on sale with the new skin update.

i forget do ultimate skins ever go on sale? thinking of getting pulsefire ezreal only for the profile backgroound. maybe it will go on sale with the new skin update.
They only go on sale a few months after release. Maybe PFE will get a special discount due to the update but I wouldn't count on it.

zkylon

zkylewd
they haven't gone on sale yet but they'll start going on early sales at least (elementalist lux should be this month)

idk about other sales, you could at least wait until pulsefire cait to buy ezreal

When did OP.GG make Korea the only region they derive champ statistics from? I don't mind it (Korea is the strongest region and all) but I liked comparing regions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
When did OP.GG make Korea the only region they derive champ statistics from? I don't mind it (Korea is the strongest region and all) but I liked comparing regions.
The stats are representative of the region portal you access the website from. As long as you are using na.op.gg that is where you will see stats from.

zkylon

zkylewd
QnBzNB8.png

No matter what region/URL I access OP.GG from it comes up with Korea's stats.

it might be a bug with the region text and it actually pulls data from the region you chose

edit: nvm, apparently the only way to see regional stuff is from the statistics page, when you go into specific champions it no longer shows stats for the region you selected

you can use the stuff in the statistics page tho not as comprehensive

Top Bottom