• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Release Date: May 16, 2014

Darmik

Nintedo tend to announce and show off their mainstream titles only a few months before release. So it really wouldn't surprise me if Smash Bros is due out May-Jul next year with Zelda as the holiday release along with a few other surprises. I'm not sure why this is seen as such a big stretch.

I mean;
- Link Between Worlds was announced in April 2013 and is due for release in November 2013
- Super Mario 3D World was announced June 2013 and due for release in November 2013
- Pikmin 3 was announced June 2012 to be released around launch window for WiiU. So about a 6-8 month window before it was delayed
- Donkey Kong was also originally due for a Nov 2013 release after being revealed June 2013

It seems to me that generally Nintendo try to announce a game 6-12 months before release lately. The exception does seem to be X, but perhaps due to it not being a major franchise they are trying to build hype for it while they try to have a smaller marketing timeframe for established franchises. So it really wouldn't surprise me if a few of these titles are closer than people think.

Look, I don't want to be a dick about it, but the game looks pretty rushed. Other than the jump to HD, it honestly doesn't seem like what we've seen is a huge update like previous editions. Wouldn't surprise me if they had this out early 2014.

Of course, I hope I'm proven wrong. Sakurai tends to put a lot of stuff into his games, and I'm hoping this is no exception.

And this would be a bad thing why? Brawl was already over flowing with content, trying to 1up Brawl would seem to be a mistake. Better to spend time refining the engine, adding new characters, and making online play super smooth.

There is also the fact they're making a 3DS and WiiU version of the game

Sheroking

I mean officially announced. The next WiiU Zelda has been discussed for quite a while as well. Same with Smash Bros before its announcement.

It's like saying they announced the Wii U when they briefly talked about next-gen plans in 2007.

Pikmin 3 was "announced" when Matt Cassamasina pestered Miyamoto at the round table in 2009 (maybe 2008?). The next year, they said "no Pikmin questions". They never once talked about the game in any official capacity until they said "we're showing it at E3 2012".

Kimosabae

Banned
Nintedo tend to announce and show off their mainstream titles only a few months before release. So it really wouldn't surprise me if Smash Bros is due out May-Jul next year with Zelda as the holiday release along with a few other surprises. I'm not sure why this is seen as such a big stretch.

Despite the casual nature of the design philosophy behind the last game - the series always gets its proper due in regards to public play-testing prior to launch. Just like other notable fighting games. They haven't revealed anything unique to this iteration beyond 3 new characters and a parallel handheld version. They started development within the year. They're probably not even in alpha at this point. No way the game goes from alpha > beta > regional public play-testing > to release within 6-7 months.

Not unless they plan on making this game Killer Instinct-levels of lean, with a complete focus on gameplay mechanics (which would be fucking awesome coming from my perspective but it ain't happening).

Hiltz

For a variety of reasons, I'm not going to believe the rumor. It just seems too good to be true even though a 2 year development is feasible. However, positioning Smash Bros a month before or after Mario Kart 8 seems kind of wasteful of their respective system-selling potential. I wonder how close to competition Bayonetta 2, because like it, Smash Bros also did not get an estimated scheduled release time compared to Mario Kart 8 for 2014. So it is odd that Nintendo would release Smash Bros first before these other two games, both of which were playable to the public at last E3.

For reference:

- Smash Bros Brawl took 2 years and 3 months to be released in Japan. It came out 2 months later for North America.

- Bayonetta 1's development started in January 2007 and released in Japan on October 2009 and January 2010 overseas.

Platy

Yes, japan release early would make this game to be released in march or april in japan ?

Don't think so

The one thing that could speed up this games development is they've already said there won't be a Sub Space Emissary type mode this time around. I'm sure that mode alone took a huge chunk of development time for Brawl.

No, they said there won't be Subspace Emissary like CUTSCENES.

They never said it would not have an awesome single player mode

Banned
Smash Bros isn't coming out the same time as Mario Kart. Although I would love for it to happen.
March 2008 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
April 2008 - Mario Kart Wii

I think that's a good date. The last smash and console Mario Kart were spring titles.

Yes, japan release early would make this game to be released in march or april in japan ?

Don't think so

That could just mean adventure mode from Melee is back which was fun but really short

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
March 2008 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
April 2008 - Mario Kart Wii

I think that's a good date. The last smash and console Mario Kart were spring titles.

Actually, Brawl was supposed to be release on Dec 3rd, so it is almost same date as Melee's release date back in 2001.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well the timeframe would match up with Brawl's release timing after the Wii's launch... mid-2008, right?

I wonder if they're going to hold off Mario Kart 8 to try and replicate that 3-month whammy from back then

Hiltz

Some games have released on Friday. Here's the week of release based on North American schedule this year:

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Monday
Luigi's Mansion 2 - Sunday
Lego City: Undercover - March
Lego City: Chase Begins - Sunday
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Sunday
Game & Wario - Sunday
New Super Luigi U - Sunday / Thrusday (eshop version)
Pikmin 3 - Sunday
The Wonderful 101 - Sunday
Pokemon X&Y - Saturday
Wii U Party - Friday
Wind Waker HD - Friday /Friday (eshop version)
Super Mario 3D World - Friday
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Friday
Wii Fit U - Friday/ Friday (eshop)

Roo

Don't think so

SubSpace Emissary was far from awesome...

SaviorX

Not possible. Has the game even been in development for more than a year? They've delayed everything. Brawl dropped 7 years after Melee an I expect the same thing to happen here.

March 2015

Mr. Fix

Not possible. Has the game even been in development for more than a year? They've delayed everything. Brawl dropped 7 years after Melee an I expect the same thing to happen here.

March 2015

I think it was around last Summer. Not going to bother with this rumor because no.

March 2015

The game has officially been in development since March 2012, so a May release would assume 2 years and 2 months of development time.

That's roughly equivalent to how much time was spent developing Super Smash Bros. Melee, but development of Melee was BRUTAL...Sakurai commented how he used to work 24-hours a day for multiple days every week to get it done.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I personally wouldn't complain at all, it might not be as expansive with features as Brawl but the gameplay will be upped a bit so it works out fine.

Pretty sure coming out that early would make it the Smash game with the shortest dev cycle (SSB4 started development around July last year). Considering the 3DS isn't going to be a straight port of the Wii U version and Mario Kart 8 coming out around that period as well, I don't really buy that they'd release it that early. If they could be bothered to delay DKCTF and leave this holiday season with nothing but Mario 3DWorld, I don't think they'd suddenly bring forward Smash of all thing by half a year.

I still expect it to come out 2014 though, or at least the Wii U version. Brawl got so many delays due to SSE and Sonic's last minute inclusion. So far the former isn't a factor and I don't think there'll be any really popular requests Sakurai will feel the need to delay the game for to put them in like Sonic was.

Eh, personally I took Sakurai's comments to mean adventure mode (I still think that jungle thing you see Mario running about in the E3 trailer is a part of it) will be way more streamlined like Melee's along with cut scenes being gone, which would still make it a lot less time-consuming to make in comparison to SSE which they almost treated like its own separate game. Pretty sure along with Sonic Sakurai's said in his Famitsu column that SSE was a big factor behind the constant Brawl delays.

Time between SSB 64 - SSB Melee:
January 1999 - November 2001 - 2 years, 10 months.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U development: March 2012 - May 2014 (2 years, 2 months)

Kimosabae

Banned
Assuming Melee was in development as soon as the original N64 game was released:

Melee: January 1999 - November 2001 (1 year, 10 months)

Super Smash Bros. Wii U: March 2012 - May 2014 (2 years, 2 months)

This post gives me headaches for myriad reasons.

*edit*

Nvm

The game has officially been in development since March 2012, so a May release would assume 2 years and 2 months of development time.

That's roughly equivalent to how much time was spent developing Super Smash Bros. Melee, but development of Melee was BRUTAL...Sakurai commented how he used to work 24-hours a day for multiple days every week to get it done.

That was when he started considering leaving HAL right?

I mean, I've heard of developers having to work like crazy, but that's nuts

Richie

From this article:

On a personal level, Melee had an extremely grueling development cycle," Sakurai wrote. "Some of my other games did, too, but Melee sticks out far ahead of the pack in my mind. I worked on that game for 13 months straight, after all, without a single Sunday or holiday off that whole time. During parts of it, I was living a really destructive lifestyle -- I'd work for over 40 hours in a row, then go back home to sleep for four.

jmizzal

Its possible remember people on Wii Smash Bros came out in March (NA) and Mario Kart came out in April in year 2 of the system.

There is no reason why Smash Bros cant come out in May and Mario Kart come out in April on WiiU if those games are ready.

Smash Bros Melee in Pal was a May game and Smash 64 was April in NA

Its a history there

I don't get why people think this is too close to Mario Kart. The important thing about these games is that they sell Wii Us. Wii U needs games desperately. It needs new and hot games so people think they need one. I can't see too many people buying a Wii U for Mario Kart alone and if the next reason for buying a Wii U comes 6 months later, then I imagine a lot of people would forget and lose interest in Mario Kart.

Mario Kart coming out in April and then Smash Bros in May though, and that's what we call being on a roll. Picking up steam. That's when people think "Holy shit I need a Wii U". It's not like people are forced to choose between Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Like the 3DS, It's doing pretty well now. That's because we had
Animal Crossing, Pokémon and next month Zelda in a short amount of time and people are realizing that the reasons to get one are quickly piling up (though I'm sure Pokémon could've done that on it's own)

Mumford

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 3DS release date with Smash for Wii U arriving this fall. I do remember hearing that they might not release both versions at the same date, though I could be wrong.

Mariolee

Dream List:
Donkey Kong in February
Mario Kart 8 in April
SSBU in May
SSB3DS in Fall for second wind of Smash U sales
X in Fall 2014
Yoshi's Yarn Holiday 2014
Zelda Wii U Holiday 2014

Boom.

jmizzal

Why are people so convinced that Smash is the only big release they have planned for Q4 2014?

Lol yea its funny cuz 3D Mario and WW HD wasnt announced until Jan this year and they both will be out before Dec.

Nintendo can easily announce more games that will be out in the 2nd half of next year between now and Jan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a feeling that some of people in this thread might eating crows.

SSB4 didn't start development that early.

Technically, it did. Sakurai started brainstorming for SSB4 somewhen in Feb, according to his twitter. SSB4 itself (engine, etc) should start somewhen in May 2012. Since they have enough time to finish first prototype engine during mid-June.

Actually, they had to gave up a lot of times for last 13 months to get Melee done, but I heard that they started to working on Melee like a month after SSB64 got released.
You need to ask Ryce since he is more familiar with this information than I do.

Richie

Working on something for 13 months straight is not the same as taking 13 months to make something.

Seeing how he was the director and, I would assume, was involved in pretty much every step of development, I think this is an accurate frametime for Melee's development, or at least as closer as we will get to find out.

Actually, they had to gave up a lot of times for last 13 months to get Melee done, but I heard that they started to working on Melee like a month after SSB64 got released.
You need to ask Ryce since he is more familiar with this information than I do.

And then this just gets posted, hah. I would gladly eat my words if Ryce could shed some light here, I'm intrigued as to what would be the entire development time for Melee for real.

Top Bottom