• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.Mika's Critical Art is censored in the latest build of SF5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, this is... Street Fighter?

I don't follow fighting games at all, but I played SF2 as a kid in the arcade in the 90's, what is this crude sexualised bullshit that I'm seeing here now? Holy shit did this franchise develop its female characters in the worst possible way if people are claiming that removing particular overt ways of sexually objectifying them somehow undermines their 'personality'.

My problem with the changes is that they just don't look good.

Cammy's is just an angle shift but it makes a really dramatic part of her intro less cool. Not as big a deal as the Mika changes, but I mean it's still less exciting than it was before.

Mika's just don't make sense. It's a move that culminates in her and her tag-team partner bulldozing their asses at your head and then sitting on your face. For a move so focused on asses, panning away from the buttslap just seems silly.

Removing the leg split is even sillier. It's a wrestling move. It looked cool. Now it looks really lame and weak during the part of the move that's supposed to hit the hardest. There's not even a downward driving force to the attack now. All 3 of them just sort of fall together now and Mika and Nadeshiko just fistpump like "Yeah! Gravity! So much damage!"

What do they plan on changing next? Making Gief's chest hair block the crotch-view after an SPD?

Because when you are a developer, games change while being developed and it's your game, and your speech to make, not anyone else's.
Nuh-uh! The SJW menace it out to wreck everything! Developers lie! They're being pressured from above! It's ruining gaming! No developer would ever make any sort of decision that would accidentally make something less lewd! All games must have maximum lewdness just as Jesus intended! All animation revisions must add further lewd or we'll throw an even larger tantrum! ALL THINGS MUST BE LEWD!

Oh, and we still don't know the reason for the changes, do we? Is it seriously that hard for people to believe that the goal wasn't to specifically screw players out of creepshots, as is the accusation? Are gamers that paranoid? That entitled? That immature? Even if that was the deliberate and specific objective, what gives anyone the right to give a shit? Are developers no longer allowed to make games using their own decisions? Do they need permission from the gaming universe if they want to remove an ass shot? Should they base their decisions on what a certain subreddit decides to be randomly outraged by?

Fucking hell. We're better than this. Minor disappointment is okay. Any tier of anger is ridiculous.

Chindogg

I don't follow fighting games at all, but I played SF2 as a kid in the arcade in the 90's, what is this crude sexualised bullshit that I'm seeing here now? Holy shit did this franchise develop its female characters in the worst possible way if people are claiming that removing particular overt ways of sexually objectifying them somehow undermines their 'personality'.

Super Street Fighter 2 was the first ass shot in Street Fighter. It's been like that off and on ever since.

Also, you're cool with the brazen racial stereotypes but sexualization is where you draw the line?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

It's a genre in which story and writing are mostly irrelevant. Character's designs and behaviour in fights are basically all there is in terms of characterisation, so yes it does undermine her "personality" in the sense that people are now getting a different impression of her with one of her signature moves being altered.

Yeah, the over-the-top female wrestler who attacks using her butt would never taunt her opponent by slapping her butt. It's completely sexist and a total betrayal of her personality.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
A woman slapping her own bottom is not sex, if she was slapping zangiefs bottom then maybe I'd understand. Regional versions should be made.

I found the theatrics very tongue-in-cheek, but I guess that's the way things are.

Also, thanks for the popcorn. This thread has been a rollercoaster.

Cammy's outfit is pretty much the same. At least 90's you got to enjoy a video game though.

Super Street Fighter 2 was the first ass shot in Street Fighter. It's been like that off and on ever since.

Also, you're cool with the brazen racial stereotypes but sexualization is where you draw the line?

So they made both the sexual objectification and the racism worse?

Forsythia

It's ridiculous they removed it. I guess the usual crowd is only satisfied until every character looks like the Greendale Human Being. nofunallowed.jpg

RM8

So they made both the sexual objectification and the racism worse?
This game in particular is upping the sexual content, to mixed reactions. Not that there wasn't any before, but SFV Mika is by far the most Dead or Alive character in Street Fighter history.

Vex_

Banned
This game in particular is upping the sexual content, to mixed reactions. Not that there wasn't any before, but SFV Mika is by far the most Dead or Alive character in Street Fighter history.

Jesus Christ the hyperbole.

sonicmj1

I could see the butt slap being removed for purely aesthetic reasons.

Before, it does this hard zoom on the butt, then has to quickly pan up to the face for her expression. Now, it's one smooth zoom to the face instead. It's not quite as busy.

The game's in beta, still pretty far from release. Of course there will be lots of little changes made to everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom