• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Kouriozan

Just hoping it won't bomb as hard as the first game, will pick it up later depending on when they'll announce the localization of the Switch game.

Evilmaus

Yeah, it's got a cast of characters from various main series DQ games. You'll miss a lot by starting with this. I'd recommend starting with Dragon Quest III, IV, or V.

Ah that's a shame. I just don't have time to commit to many games these days, so I'm not sure going back and trying to play through those other titles is really feesable. I really want to get into DQ though and thought with this being in Switch it would be a good place to start.

Are there any mainline DQ games coming for Switch in the near future?

Terrorblot

Ah that's a shame. I just don't have time to commit to many games these days, so I'm not sure going back and trying to play through those other titles is really feesable. I really want to get into DQ though and thought with this being in Switch it would be a good place to start.

Dragon Quest XI is on it's way to Switch. Most of the earlier games are available on mobile devices and the 3/DS ports of IV, V, VI, VII, and VIII are all fantastic. IX was native to DS, so you can play the bulk of the series on a 3DS. The Gameboy Color remakes of I, II, and III are pretty good too!

The only games that aren't really ideal starting points are V and VI (play IV, V, and VI together as they form a loose trilogy). The only reason I'd stay away from Heroes for now is it's getting most of its kicks as a fan game, you're not really going to get hype seeing a returning character if you don't know who any of them are.

Raw64life

Reviews are out. No review thread for games with 0 hype I guess :(

Seems to be reviewing slightly better than DQH1 which is good news. Mostly 7.5s and 8s. Currently has an 80 MetaCritic after 16 reviews.

Arkeband

Banned
So does this game consist of characters from all the previous games like World of FF or something?

I've never played a DQ game and want to make sure I'm picking a good place to start.

This game has (a lot of) characters from 4, and some from 6, 7, and 8.

8's remake just released on 3DS, 7's remake is on the 3DS too but it's super long and oldschool.

4 and 6 were remade on DS, and I think they're also on mobile.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just hoping it won't bomb as hard as the first game, will pick it up later depending on when they'll announce the localization of the Switch game.

I will pick this game up depending on the quality of the PC version but it's going to crater harder than the first game.

Raw64life

The number of people waiting for the Switch version, plus S-E's usual complete and utter refusal to pour any marketing resources whatsoever into Dragon Quest games in the west does not bode well for sales.

Feeroper

I didn't play the first one. I'm a big DQ fan, but of the mainline games. The only side game from the DQ series I picked up and enjoyed was DQ Builders.

I'm curious about this one - is it basically just Dynasty Warriors reskinned with DQ (not meant to sound reductive)? I was never too big on Dynasty Warriors - would that rule this series out for me?

Raw64life

I didn't play the first one. I'm a big DQ fan, but of the mainline games. The only side game from the DQ series I picked up and enjoyed was DQ Builders.

I'm curious about this one - is it basically just Dynasty Warriors reskinned with DQ (not meant to sound reductive)? I was never too big on Dynasty Warriors - would that rule this series out for me?

I never played a Dynasty Warriors game in my life prior to DQH1 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The gameplay is admittedly repetitive but I still enjoyed it and the fan service was more than enough to keep me interested. Apparently DQH1 is less of a DW game than most DW games and this sequel is an even further departure from the usual DW formula.

What game can you compare this to? Looks interesting but I just want to know what I'd be getting into. Is this like Diablo where you go out killing stuff for loot? Is the community going to be better on PC or PS4?

Begaria

Totally on my hit list, and I picked up the first one day one and loved it, but sadly I just don't have the time to justify buying DQHeroes 2 right now since I still have to complete the likes of Persona 5, Nier, Yakuza 0, etc. I'll be picking it up on PC immediately when I can slot the game in.

Setzer

I love Dragon Quest but I wasn't a fan of the first game. I had issues with the combat and camera but also don't enjoy this particular genre. Never did like the Dynasty Warrior games but I thought something set in the DQ universe would change my opinion of it. I will still buy they second game nonetheless as I want to show my support for DQ in the West. Gotta do my part to ensure DQ XI gets localized for a US release!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Played the PSN demo a week or so ago. Graphically it seemed alot sharper than the first one, and the level i played seemed alot larger. Something felt off to me though about the controls.....almost seemed a bit floaty and non-responsive at times.

Cornbread78

What game can you compare this to? Looks interesting but I just want to know what I'd be getting into. Is this like Diablo where you go out killing stuff for loot? Is the community going to be better on PC or PS4?

It's more of an action rpg/musou cross-over (Dynasty Warriors/Dragon Age for this game). I would initially say that the PS4 community would be larger, but you really never know these days..

Skulldead

I platinum the first game i thought the end game was amazing and challenging compare to first 20 hours, does this game is a little more challenging then previous game ?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Waiting to see how this reviews on PC, I.E. if it's a good port or another Koei mess.

For the those playing on PC, the preset resolutions (including 1440p, and 2160p) only work if your desktop is set to the desired resolution and scaling is no higher than the default 100%. I had 4K at 200% but that limits the rendering resolution to 1080p. Once again, it appears Koei Tecmo is incapable of putting out a proper PC port that supports arbitrary resolutions. Frame rate is capped at 60fps as usual.

For the those playing on PC, the preset resolutions (including 1440p, and 2160p) only work if your desktop is set to the desired resolution and scaling is no higher than the default 100%. I had 4K at 200% but that limits the rendering resolution to 1080p. Once again, it appears Koei Tecmo is incapable of putting out a proper PC port that supports arbitrary resolutions. Frame rate is capped at 60fps as usual.

Did you right-click the executable, go to compatibility and tell it to disable DPI scaling?

I have to do that for most games..

Online co-op is like Nioh's where the invited player needs to have completed the mission already.

Ugh. Tecmo-Koei strikes again. They are very inconsistent with this. Some warriors games do this, others don't. Was hoping to eventually run through this with a couple of friends but I refuse to make my first run a solo one.

Did you right-click the executable, go to compatibility and tell it to disable DPI scaling?

I have to do that for most games..

I hear you, but that doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Thanks!

How's performance for you? Volumetric fog, and point light shadows absolutely murder performance on my system at any resolution.

1080ti @ 2,038Mhz
5820K @ 4,300Mhz
32GB
Windows x64

Einhandr

Ugh. Tecmo-Koei strikes again. They are very inconsistent with this. Some warriors games do this, others don't. Was hoping to eventually run through this with a couple of friends but I refuse to make my first run a solo one.

This is the worst. In order to play through and entire campaign with a friend, at least one of the two will end up beating the game twice. That's too monotonous for me.

B00TE

Enjoying the game a lot so far. Feels better right out of the gate in terms of pacing compared to the first game, imo.

Really liked the first one. Though unfortunately fatigue set in after about 15 hours, so got my monies worth anyway.

Really wish we knew about switch version, this feels like a fantastic pick up and play title on the go even. But really like trophies on ps4.

1upsuper

Frankly I don't see why you would have time to play a newly-released game but not an older game more appropriate for someone new to DQ. I still recommend you check out the titles I recommended previously.

DQ XI is coming out on Switch to answer your question.

Momentary

Banned
I hear you, but that doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Thanks!

How's performance for you? Volumetric fog, and point light shadows absolutely murder performance on my system at any resolution.

1080ti @ 2,038Mhz
5820K @ 4,300Mhz
32GB
Windows x64

What frame rates are you getting at 4K with all the bells and whistles? The game does not look demanding whatsoever. But it's a Koei Tecmo/Omega Force port.

I bought the game today and will probably refund it if it has the same performance issues as Berserk. Which it probably does because it's the same crappy engine they always use.

oktarb

Having not played the first game how does this stack up as a standalone RPG? It the loot hook strong? I'm worried I'll just be running around smashing cute dew drops add goofy castle giants with a Roger Rabbit mallet.

What frame rates are you getting at 4K with all the bells and whistles? The game does not look demanding whatsoever. But it's a Koei Tecmo/Omega Force port.

I bought the game today and will probably refund it if it has the same performance issues as Berserk. Which it probably does because it's the same crappy engine they always use.

Everything maxed at 4K affords me between 40-60fps at ~60-70% GPU utilization and ~10-15% CPU utilization. For some reason the game can't take full advantage of my system. Both GPU and CPU are running at "max performance" power states, so this shouldn't be happening. In any case, some folks over on Steam claim to have "no problems at all", so there's a pretty good chance you won't have any issues either. =)

Momentary

Banned
Everything maxed at 4K affords me between 40-60fps at ~60-70% GPU utilization and ~10-15% CPU utilization. For some reason the game can't take full advantage of my system. Both GPU and CPU are running at "max performance" power states, so this shouldn't be happening. In any case, some folks over on Steam claim to have "no problems at all", so there's a pretty good chance you won't have any issues either. =)

Yeah... those same people same the same thing about every Koei Tecmo port. This sounds like the same issue that some of their other games have with GPU utilization. I think Berserk was the same way for me.

Yeah... those same people same the same thing about every Koei Tecmo port. This sounds like the same issue that some of their other games have with GPU utilization. I think Berserk was the same way for me.

When I first launched the game and play it, GPU usage wasn't a problem and it'd use my GPU to its fullest hence giving me constant 60fps.
I relaunched it and now it doesn't use all of it, sticking to 55fps or so. Wtf is going on.

this game won't even start in 1440p for me.. not sure what's going on there..

it'll work in windowed 1440p.. but as soon as I change it to fullscreen, it freaks out. I have my desktop set to 2560x1440 and the DPI scaling @ 100%.. so it should be able to handle this..yet somehow..

I see. I'm still hoping you won't have any problems with your Titan Xp, but if you do please let us know.

When I first launched the game and play it, GPU usage wasn't a problem and it'd use my GPU to its fullest hence giving me constant 60fps.
I relaunched it and now it doesn't use all of it, sticking to 55fps or so. Wtf is going on.

Yup, it stays around 55fps most of the time. It's a stutter fest.

this game won't even start in 1440p for me.. not sure what's going on there..

it'll work in windowed 1440p.. but as soon as I change it to fullscreen, it freaks out. I have my desktop set to 2560x1440 and the DPI scaling @ 100%.. so it should be able to handle this..yet somehow..

It sounds like porting amateur hour at Koei Tecmo as usual. :-/

I see. I'm still hoping you won't have any problems with your Titan Xp, but if you do please let us know.

Yup, it stays around 55fps most of the time. It's a stutter fest.

It sounds like porting amateur hour at Koei Tecmo as usual. :-/

Alright, I opened a youtube video and now... GPU usage is full lol.

cwistofu

So a i5-6600K with a 1070 might have trouble with this game on max settings at 1440p?

If a 1080Ti is struggling with 4k..

I had a feeling you weren't kidding. One video didn't do much for me, but 3 videos open in the background did the trick. What the heck, eh? Wow.

You'll be fine once they patch whatever is causing the bottleneck.

I guess something may tell the game to not fully use the gpu or whatever. Opening a youtube video kicked that thing though.

I guess something may tell the game to not fully use the gpu or whatever. Opening a youtube video kicked that thing though.

Yeah, that's pretty interesting. It's really weird that setting both CPU and GPU to "max performance" doesn't do anything, but playing the vids in the background somehow bypasses whatever is causing the problem.

Top Bottom