• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lol Makoto's ultimate gun giving her +10 to all stats just by equipping it.

ATLUS *really* seem to love this girl for whatever reason, lol.

Ahhh okay, hahaha. Well at least it's only with her (I think?) you have that possibility :p

I am quite surprised that they actually went with the whole "dumb blonde" angle, though. I honestly thought that she's not that kind of character, especially considering how they treated her during Kamoshida arc. Honestly? To me it's kind of disappointing.

The Twins don't get a flash forward either considering the support they offer it would be utterly bizarre if they did.

RalchAC

Another reason why Haru is the best is that she looks more serious about the relationship with MC than the others and
the only one with a realistic plan on how to continue being in a relationship with the MC after the events of the game.
Edit: end game not so spoilerly spoiler.

The moment when you date Makoto in Valentines Day and she asks
how are things gonna be starting next year?
made them feel like one of those couples that don't survive college to me.

It may be because of her more resolved personality and all that.

I wonder if (ending animation spoilers)
any decent university would accept the MC, TBH. Guy was the lead of the Phantom Thieves and the police knows it. Even if he doesn't have a criminal record you can still see the police keeping and eye on him in the epilogue.

Shengar

So in Haru Rank 9
she makes the first move. In other words, unlike most other S-Link so far where it's you that confess/confirm your love to your confidants, Haru's is just straight up rejection if you go for the platonic route.

Goddammit Atlus.

Aki-at

The moment when you date Makoto in Valentines Day and she asks
how are things gonna be starting next year?
made them feel like one of those couples that don't survive college to me.

It may be because of her more resolved personality and all that.

Her, Ann and Haru
all have the same structure and tone in their conversation so that's a no go on all three then.

The only one who doesn't is Chihaya as she's
open to the possibility of moving with you.

Her, Ann and Haru
all have the same structure and tone in their conversation so that's a no go on all three then.
[/spoiler]
Thats disappointing, I have only seen Futaba's which
Was pretty nice, with her commenting about wanting to force him to stay, but knowing she shouldnt (post valentine's day). Final comment saying that once they are done with high school then all bets are off.

Actually I have screenshots. Took a bunch throughout the game. Will take more in new game plus

http://i.imgur.com/LSNGSmf.png
based sojiro: http://i.imgur.com/l4hinp7.png

Sayad

Her, Ann and Haru

The only one who doesn't is Chihaya as she's
open to the possibility of moving with you.
Move in with a highschooler when you're in your 20s?!... Yea, Haru is the only one with a realistic plan to keep the relationship going, she isn't going to college and plan to visit on weekends.
That and you know from the moment the relationship start with Haru that she's replacing one future husbandu with another.

Astral

Why can't I get Ohya's last words of her SL out of my head? "We can eat, lie down...and after that? It's up to you." These adult romances are two for two right now. They're great. None of that weak subtle implication shit. Let's see if Kawakami knocks it out. Are the younger girls like this?

Sadist

She has the best Persona, Johanna is cool.

With my first playthrough I accidently chose Oya, but that wasn't a bad pick. Wonder who I'll go with in the second playthrough

Aki-at

Move in with a highschooler when you're in your 20s?!... Yea, Haru is the only one with a realistic plan to keep the relationship going, she isn't going to college and plan to visit on weekends.
That and you know from the moment the relationship start with Haru that she's replacing one future husbandu with another.

Chihaya has shown to make bad life choices so this wouldn't be out of line with her character :p

That last bit of your post makes me feel the MC is just on a conveyor belt of potential husbands for Haru to get through lol.

Sayad

That last bit of your post makes me feel the MC is just on a conveyor belt of potential husbands for Haru to get through lol.
You'd think that, but try to go the platonic route with her, she's without a doubt the one who's most in love with the MC.

You'd think that, but try to go the platonic route with her, she's without a doubt the one who's most in love with the MC.

Without a doubt haru is most into mc. Would argue hifumi, futaba and fortune girl are probably second place to her. Makoto and Ann are unfortunately giving zero fucks until you bring it up.

Aki-at

Oh no doubt, I've seen how cut up she gets, just your wording made it seems she goes through guys pretty fast haha.

She's definitely the most into the MC but also no matter what the MC says she's more than happy. Guess it's because she's use to hanging out with terrible people but the first half decent person means love at first sight.

Vengal

I didn't think much of Haru at first but then in mementos she said something about getting joy out of shadows begging. Since then I was super creeped out by her. There is something dark in there.

Ann goes from "I have no one" to "I love you" in 2 lines

I mean at least hifumi is thinking mc looks too good to ignore. It's odd for me because one hand I appreciate the lack of drooling that was present in p4 for mc but there's less chemistry with mc and most of the romantic options.

Poor Ann because she's got a killer phantom look and had such a great initial start.

Ann goes from "I have no one" to "I love you" in 2 lines

Ann: "Am I alone again?"
MC: "You've got me." (hugs)
Ann: "wait what are you... I love you... WAIT WHAT DID I JUST SAY"
MC: "I think you said you love me." (hugs tighter)
Ann: "QUIT SQUEEZING ME, GEEZ." (shoves MC away)

It's not exactly the lovey-dovey exchange of vows you might expect.

(I've heard that dates you have with Ann after rank 10 are better at establishing that you didn't just strongarm Ann in a moment of weakness, I should watch those sometime)

Astral

They need to make choosing the friendship route less awkward in general. The romances I've done so far are Tae and Ichiko and both of them, while not crazy in love with the MC from the beginning, ask some pretty leading questions during the romance flag. Both say stuff like "Why are you reaaaaaaally hanging out with me so much? Do you love me or something? Hahahahaha please be yes." Ending those two with just "nah it was just for my exams/the articles" is the lamest shit ever. I'd be so insulted that after all that shit, the MC would say something like that.

Zafir

They need to make choosing the friendship route less awkward in general. The romances I've done so far are Tae and Ichiko and both of them, while not crazy in love with the MC from the beginning, ask some pretty leading questions during the romance flag. Both say stuff like "Why are you reaaaaaaally hanging out with me so much? Do you love me or something? Hahahahaha please be yes." Ending those two with just "nah it was just for my exams/the articles" is the lamest shit ever. I'd be so insulted that after all that shit, the MC would say something like that.

Yeah. I agree on that.

I get they've gotta try and integrate it some way into the game but, it just often feels so weird.

As depressing as Haru's rejection can be, I actually think that's kind of nice because at least it felt a natural progression. Hell, people dislike Makoto being totally nonchalant regarding a romance, but even with that at least the whole thing feels kind of natural given the context of the rest of her SL.

TheStig88

Rejecting her broke my heart. Only reaction that really hurt a bit because she looked so sad.
No chance of maxing all confidants on my first run so I'm totally saving Haru's SL for NG+ since I chose Makoto, and I want no part of rejecting her. I've ended up liking Haru so much more that I expected to. She's just the cutest, sweetest little thing, sweater and all. It really makes me wish she was introduced a little earlier.

Astral

Sounds like I'm really gonna be disappointed with Makoto's romance. Does she not feel anything? I mean we're
pretending to be a couple.

Makes me happy to see so many people in the thread noticing how great Haru is.
Even if she has to hold the player up at emotional gunpoint in a Slink to do it.

She really is the sweetest and cutest thing (I love her Baton Pass animation especially). As for the Valentine's Day scene, I wouldn't be so worried if you go for her since unlike the other two that talk about the
long distance thing, she's got a solid plan...And she's rich so she could go to MC's town whenever she damn well feels like it, honestly.

Futaba's scene for that is the best by a long shot though, the slightly different structure from all the other girls and stuff she talks about really makes it stand out. Plus, it's interesting to see she can completely drop the "anon netizen" talk and go full on waifu at the end of the conversation, kid's actually got serious game when she wants to lol.

Sounds like I'm really gonna be disappointed with Makoto's romance. Does she not feel anything? I mean we're

She gives a bit more interest on special events. But the actual social link is more about her being curious what having a boyfriend is like. Still say they made the wrong sister a romantic option. Just imagine sae calling you out for falling in love with her during her social link.

Astral

She gives a bit more interest on special events. But the actual social link is more about her being curious what having a boyfriend is like. Still say they made the wrong sister a romantic option. Just imagine sae calling you out for falling in love with her during her social link.

Oh Sae should've been an option just for laughs.

"I've been such a jerk to you. Why are you REALLY cooperating with me? Did you fall in love over the course of the interrogation? Smirk."

-> I love you Sae.
-> It was for the investigation.

Zafir

The 'romantic' scenes themselves are fine, really.

It's just that it isn't forced, and you're the one who suggests the idea really. I think some people wanted her to be more interested in you from the get go, like how say Haru or Futaba is.

The scenes themselves are fine, really.

It's just that it isn't forced, and you're the one who suggests the idea really. I think some people wanted her to be more interested in you, like how say Haru or Futaba is.

I wouldn't say that, I just wanted her social link to be so much more than babysitting Eiko.

It didn't develop her as a character at all really, she was probably going to want to be
police chief
with or without that whole escapade.

I mean, she's still by far the best character in the party during the story proper, but to say she had anything but an incredibly weak social link would be a fallacy.

galvenize

Oh Sae should've been an option just for laughs.

"I've been such a jerk to you. Why are you REALLY cooperating with me? Did you fall in love over the course of the interrogation? Smirk."

-> I love you Sae.
-> It was for the investigation.

-> "I love you Sae."

Sae: "I can't believe you can crack a joke at a time like this ... Wait, are you serious?"

-> I got caught on purpose just to see you
-> Just kidding, I like your sister better (Dead end)

Zafir

I wouldn't say that, I just wanted her social link to be so much more than babysitting Eiko.

It didn't develop her as a character at all really, she was probably going to want to be
police chief

I mean, she's still by far the best character in the party during the story proper, but to say she had anything but an incredibly weak social link would be a fallacy.

Oh, I'm only referring to the rank 8-9 where you can choose to on on the romance path.

I'm not really commenting on the social link itself. (Though I didn't have anywhere near as much of a problem with it as some did).

-> "I love you Sae."

Sae: "I can't believe you can crack a joke at a time like this ... Wait, are you serious?"

these are the best worst ideas

Though I mentioned before what I really wanted was (Late game spoilers)
Sae to replace Goro in the party

RalchAC

I think the game should have dropped those "5 points at stat" checks for female party members Confidants. Not only because they're the most common characters people is going to romance (and the ones people usually try to level up ASAP, anyway), but because they unlock important skills during the game (including a new Persona).

The game seemed to give players a few events to hang out with whoever you choose (Hawaii trip, School festival and all), but I don't think a lot of people would have maxed stats by September.

I think they should have had the checks for party members (well, unless maybe Haru, which is a late option) at level 3-4 (so it's more like a "hey, have you been managing your time well enough?) and lock those 5* walls behind other character that, while useful, don't have get as many special scenes due to not going to the same school as you.

I would have done something like this:

Ann and Ryuji: 2 stat check.
Yusuke and Makoto: 3 stat check.
Futaba and Haru: 4 stat check.

Did Persona 4 Golden had the same kind of "walls"? I don't remember having the same issue when playing that game. I do remember Persona 3 being pretty brutal in that sense. You couldn't get to level 1 unless you had X stat at max.

these are the best worst ideas

Though I mentioned before what I really wanted was (Late game spoilers)
Sae to replace Goro in the party

Did not even consider sae becoming more relevant but can totally see it. She would literally be adult naoto. Still lying to myself that hifumi and sae will become party members in the distant upgraded persona 5 game.

Zafir

Persona 4 had some walls from what I remember (Naoto and the jobs iirc?). They just weren't anywhere near as bad. You'd eventually get to the requirement and still have enough time to do the social link.

Persona 5 seems to follow in 3's footsteps which also locked the female party members behind quite high social stat requirements.

That said I think it's worse than 3. In 3 it was mainly just a start requirement. In 5 for some reason they added mid-link requirements too. Like how Makoto requires rank 3 knowledge to start and then half way through asks you for rank 5 Charm - which no one on their first playthrough will be anywhere close to at that point.

Aki-at

police chief

This actually one of my biggest issues with Persona 5. The actual social links feel pretty stale to me for your party with the exception of Yusuke which expands on his backstory, gives him character growth and has some comedy thrown in too.

-> "I love you Sae."

These two posts made me laugh real hard.

Persona 4 had some walls from what I remember. They just weren't anywhere near as bad. You'd eventually get to the requirement and still have enough time to do the social link.

Persona 5 seems to follow in 3's footsteps which also locked the female party members behind quite high social stat requirements.

That said I think it's worse than 3. In 3 it was mainly just a start requirement. In 5 for some reason they added mid-link requirements too. Like how Makoto requires rank 3 knowledge to start and then half way through asks you for rank 5 Charm - which no one on their first playthrough will be anywhere close to at that point.
these kinds of requirements I expect and didnt mind. Let me take this moment to bitch about one fucking requirement.

4 guts for hanged man.

GODDAMNIT I KNOW I DONT HAVE 4 GUTS. I JUST WANT TO SELL SOME SHIT. Repeat everytime you go shopping for 5 months or whatever

Zafir

these kinds of requirements I expect and didnt mind. Let me take this moment to bitch about one fucking requirement.

4 guts for hanged man.

GODDAMNIT I KNOW I DONT HAVE 4 GUTS. I JUST WANT TO SELL SOME SHIT. Repeat everytime you go shopping for 5 months or whatever

The worst part is how Morgana keeps fucking reminding you about it. I remember the bag, BUT I CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Astral

When is this Hawaii trip? Can you only hang out with the party members during it? If so, are there other events besides Valentine's where you hang out with nonparty Confidants?

I feel like that is what compounds people's issues with her social link. You get to that stat check, spend forever getting your charm up, and the result is not worth the investment.

I mean, I was at rank 3 charm when I saw that, so it took me a month in game to get it up to 5,during that entire time, the Eiko plot was stalled in place.

I don't mind the mid SL stat checks, but I wish they didn't go so overboard with them like that.

Aki-at

When is this Hawaii trip? Can you only hang out with the party members during it? If so, are there other events besides Valentine's where you hang out with nonparty Confidants?

You can hang out with the
Kawakami or Hifumi
too. Otherwise that's it.

Zafir

It's sometime in September.

You can hang out with
Ann, Makoto, Hifumi, Kawakami and Ryuji.

Ryuji is the default. Makoto and Hifumi don't require their social links to be maxed but you need to be pretty far (I've heard rank 5 being thrown around for Makoto). Kawakami and Ann require you to be in a romance to have them text you.
I feel like that is what compounds people's issues with her social link. You get to that stat check, spend forever getting your charm up, and the result is not worth the investment.

I mean, I was at rank 3 charm when I saw that, so it took me a month in game to get it up to 5,during that entire time, the Eiko plot was stalled in place.

I don't mind the mid SL stat checks, but I wish they didn't go so overboard with them like that.
I don't inherently dislike stat requirements, but yeah I think they just went overboard with so many of the core cast having such high requirements.

Top Bottom