• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Hologram is interesting. I like the idea of messing with players using it. However, it rarely does...

I think the hologram should display the GT of the person who deployed it, and that it should only take half of the "energy" to deploy one.

The rest of the energy could be used to confuse the enemy even further. I'm thinking... after you deploy a hologram, tap the bumper again to have to hologram "fake shoot" in that it looks and sounds like it's shooting the weapon you had, but it doesn't damage anyone.

I don't know, maybe that's silly. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Okay so conflicting reports on the DMR:

However, the bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach. I didn't have to pace my shots much at all. Both the DMR and BR were 5-shot weapons in this build. At the end of the night, I preferred the DMR. It shot faster than the BR, took the same amount of shots to kill, and I didn't feel like the bloom made me miss shots all that often.

Halo 4 DMR sounds SOOOO much better, to start with... and it seems more powerful (when I was getting hit, I felt more vulnerable), but it fires slower than Reach DMR.

GhaleonEB

Perhaps not a conflict. The first reads like a comparison to the Reach DMR optimal firing rate, once the reticule has fully reset. The second sounds like a comparison to the Reach DMR's maximum firing rate. I take that to mean, the locked firing rate of the Halo 4 DMR lies between the two.

I would assume one person was comparing to zero bloom max ROF of the DMR to the ROF of full vanilla bloom reset.

So Halo 4 DMR fires faster than Reach's full bloom reset, but slower than Reach's max DMR ROF.

EDIT: Beaten

Perhaps not a conflict. The first reads like a comparison to the Reach DMR optimal firing rate, once the reticule has fully reset. The second sounds like a comparison to the Reach DMR's maximum firing rate. I take that to mean, the locked firing rate of the Halo 4 DMR lies between the two.

That's what I'm getting out of it.

I thought so, too. If the DMR fires slower, but has the same (or faster) reticle bloom reset, then surely the bloom would seem like it doesn't effect shooting as much.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
different perks activated
oh you
Well 343 said it fires slower than the Reach DMR at what I figured was max speed. However, I'm guessing it shoots faster than the Reach DMR full paced with bloom.
Those statements (as I read them) are not in conflict.
I would assume one person was comparing to zero bloom max ROF of the DMR to the ROF of full vanilla bloom reset.

So Halo 4 DMR fires faster than Reach's full bloom reset, but slower than Reach's max DMR ROF.

EDIT: Beaten
Okay, makes sense now.

Hey 343, feel free to drop me a line if you ever need super secret Spartan Ops testers.

I'm both a 34th degree Freemason, Greater Poop of the Paratheoanametamystickhood of Eris Esoteric as well as a Master Chopper in the Woodcutters guild.

I've also killed a man with my bare hands.

GhaleonEB

I'm going to put out a possibility:

The Halo 4 DMR does not feature bloom. However, the reticule expands upon firing and resets fully in lockstep with the fixed firing rate, the same way the Reach sniper rifle 'bloom' works. In that sense it's not so much bloom as a visual signal for when the next shot can be fired.

That might explain why people felt bloom was in, but didn't notice it affecting their play.

VVV

I'm gonna guess Omaha, or at least that's where the hyvee was. ;p

Oh, duh. The address is right there. :lol

I thought they'd avoid bloom like the plague after the reaction to it in Reach. Brave of them to use it again.

The Halo 4 DMR does not feature bloom. However, the reticule expands upon firing and resets fully in lockstep with the fixed firing rate, the same way the Reach sniper rifle 'bloom' works. In that sense it's not so much bloom as a visual signal for when the next shot can be fired.

That might explain why people felt bloom was in, but didn't notice it affecting their play.

I'd prefer that to be the case but, as with the Reach sniper visual bloom, it's completely pointless.

Please be no blooming reticle on the Halo 4 sniper.

heckfu

Banned
I hear with every ticket you purchase to see the Beach Boys, Ellis gives you a free pass to the H4 beta.

See you boys on the other side.

zap

Yeah that was my impression (see this from the previous page).

Judging from Killa KC's imnpressions, I would say that the DMR bloom is more like the bloom on the Sniper in Reach - doesn't affect your shots, just tells you when to next pull the trigger. A visual aid to get the timing right (correct me if I am wrong Frankie).

Risen

As I've said before, when fired at distance, the recoil of the gun will cause bullets to spread a bit. The BR has changed slightly since we last discussed it. Additionally, there is now a very small amount of additional bullet spread to account for that placement. This should not affect the majority of players in the vast majority mid to close-range of encounters. It's my understanding that this was implemented to help balance it's effectiveness at long range against other weapons in the armory.

How does that compare when playing online against people a couple thousand miles away?

If that's the case, then by all means, 343i. That's great.

Ramirez

New info doesn't really sound that great, but whatever. You guys need to take my approach! No hype, just play it when it gets here, make up your mind then...

GhaleonEB

New info doesn't really sound that great, but whatever. You guys need to take my approach! No hype, just play it when it gets here, make up your mind then...

That's been my approach all along. *brofist*

I enjoy picking apart the new details, but I'm not going to get worked up about anything until I've played it.

Arnie

That's fast become mine too. Trying to second guess the play experience from these shallow puddles of misinformation is counterproductive. My bar is set to Reach, 343 shouldn't be sweating.

Those statements (as I read them) are not in conflict.
However, the bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach. I didn't have to pace my shots much at all. Both the DMR and BR were 5-shot weapons in this build. At the end of the night, I preferred the DMR. It shot faster than the BR, took the same amount of shots to kill, and I didn't feel like the bloom made me miss shots all that often.
Halo 4 DMR sounds SOOOO much better, to start with... and it seems more powerful (when I was getting hit, I felt more vulnerable), but it fires slower than Reach DMR.
If all of the above is true, the Halo 4 DMR fires slower than the Halo Reach DMR (paced I assume), and the BR is slower than the Halo 4 DMR. Um, what?

Ramirez

That's fast become mine too. Trying to second guess the play experience from these shallow puddles of misinformation is counterproductive. My bar is set to Reach, 343 shouldn't be sweating.

Exactly, Reach has my Halo standards so low that it would be really hard to go even further down.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

The more info that comes out, the more I just wanna play it for myself. At this point I'm close bursting lol. I don't even have a real opinion of the info released so far.

FyreWulff

Where do you live? I haven't seen a Hy-Vee since I left Iowa. My wife used to work at one.

As Karl pointed out ( :p ) Omaha, Nebraska. My cashier today was a woman dressed up like Pink with pink hair and had "P¡NK" as her nametag. Nobody else was dressed up or anything so it wasn't a theme day or anything... I just checked out and left as quickly as I could :lol Her real name was on the receipt, so I had no idea wtf was going on.

Did any of you think that they probably got to play like maybe a couple games at most and probably dont even recall what was going on correctly? More importantly they are glazed over by the "I got to play the game early" effect, so whatever their opinion is, is pretty much completely irrelevant.

That's kinda how I've been lately. Each piece of news is making me care about the multiplayer less and less.

Now you are just simply making up words.

I kid you not sir.

A sensible approach, but I kind of find it funny that the most positive views about H4 are fom the people who have actually played it. But that could be down to playing an anticipated game early.

While I do see your point with Promethean Vision being a bit lengthy to say, an AA just called Vision would be pretty hilarious haha.
¨You may have a jetpack, but I have VISION¨ :p

Abbreviated it doesn't sound too bad, you have jetpack, I have PV.

Sai-kun

Banned
I always fly back on the Monday, it's usually cheaper if I leave on Monday (early) than on Sunday.

But I also wait a while before getting tickets, since I can get them cheaper when they're getting desperate to finish filling up a flight.

Hotels next to the center run around 150-180 a night, I think, but it also depends on how willing you are to room share.

Okay, good point, thanks.

I'm gonna think about this a little more (school literally starts the day after PAX ends), but I am definitely leaning more towards "yes go to PAX".

Note: I am also super willing to room share. I am a small guy, and a light packer, so i'm good with just a sleeping bag and my backpack of clothes.

jasfklja;sfklja;lsfj i wanna go so badly but a;jklsf;asjkfas money.

Edit: What website are y'all using to book flights? I'm just looking on Expedia.

Ramirez

The more info that comes out, the more I just wanna play it for myself. At this point I'm close bursting lol. I don't even have a real opinion of the info released so far.

What are you going to do when MLG doesn't have a playlist in 4?

You're already dead.

Fyrewulff will let you sleep on his floor Sai, just costs 20 bucks per hour.

Blueblur1

You think Reach to 4 is a disappointment already?

You haven't seen disappointment till you play Final Fantasy XI online for 6 years on and off, get hyped to fuck for it's sequel with FF14, then buy the collectors edition at launch only to realize it's not even in alpha stage. A ghost of a game. Shit upon shit.

Call me when you have that kind of experience. We'll talk and comfort each other. Until then, wait till you play it or at least see it in action with people explaining more of its logistics.

In Frankie/343 we trust.
Wow, that sounds really bad.

Evidently I missed out on a lot of fun in the past few hours but I really think kylej is getting unfair complaints thrown at him.

He raises a fair point, one that I'd thought about previously and agreed with.

The impressions were positive last time around too. We even (mostly) enjoyed the beta and the final game at first. The problems weren't immediately evident to most.
Also being somewhat cynical and not giving 343I blanket benefit of the doubt (after Anniversary & Reach's playlists) is fair.

ANYWAY, Tojima is a total badass and his contributions to the game are going to be fucking awesome.
Also a sensible perspective. Less of the die upon the sword to condemn or defend 343I.

Top Bottom