• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

Either something's up with my Xbox, or this game won't install correctly. For some reason, even though I've installed it, the drive spins.. HARD.. throughout play. Not just the normal couple of minutes like most games that are installed.

Anyone else notice this?

Did the newest 360 patch fuck up that feature? I noticed another game just recently where the disc kept spinning and I know it was installed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cloud-swinging Defense Force just dropped to the bottom of my list of awful GAF/Internet Defense Forces. Yuck. I guess there's always someone willing to defend the indefensible.

Cloud swinging is officially worse than pedophilia, sexism, and racism. Good to know.

edit: And yeah, my xbox's jets are taking off even though the games installed

Cloud swinging is officially worse than pedophilia, sexism, and racism. Good to know.

edit: And yeah, my xbox's jets are taking off even though the games installed

Heh. A: I was joking. And B: holy crap, I haven't seen those Defense Forces. Yikes. Next you'll tell me there's a Monsanto Defense Force.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is some form of cloud swinging, but it's weird.

I went up in the air and was able to swing off a helicopter, but then once the helicopter was away, I wasn't able to swing until I went lower. In the park I wasn't able to swing until I was almost at the floor. It's odd.

and I uninstalled then reinstalled the game on 360 and it sounds quiet, but I might just be insane

EYEL1NER

Might go a bit after midnight and get this from Redbox. I'm currently playing Edge of Time but I think I'm near the end. I want an open environment to swing through though and Edge of Time doesn't have that. Cloud-swinging doesn't bother me either because I look at it like "Why should I have to practice and get good at web swinging? I'm the goddamn Spider-Man. It's what I do!"
I also hated SM2 and don't have any nostalgic feelings for its web-swinging or anything else.

It's looking like I may enjoy this one though, so I'll give it a try and then pick it up at $12 during a Gamefly sale sometime in the near future.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Might go a bit after midnight and get this from Redbox. I'm currently playing Edge of Time but I think I'm near the end. I want an open environment to swing through though and Edge of Time doesn't have that. Cloud-swinging doesn't bother me either because I look at it like "Why should I have to practice and get good at web swinging? I'm the goddamn Spider-Man. It's what I do!"
I also hated SM2 and don't have any nostalgic feelings for its web-swinging or anything else.

It's looking like I may enjoy this one though, so I'll give it a try and then pick it up at $12 during a Gamefly sale sometime in the near future.

I'm enjoying the open world a lot more than I thought I would. I'm shocked that I'm saying this, but web rushing looks fucking cool, and I'm doing that a lot. I wish there were fake Marvel billboards like the older spider-Man games though

I am keen to check this game out, but given it's also out the same week as Spec Ops, and Project Zero 2 Wii, I have yet to decide. The out doors parts look cool, but it the indoors part have yet to sell me.

JB Hifi have 20% off all games this weekend, so I might still cave in and get it.

cullenx

Banned
They have to take developer Beenox off of this franchise. They've had so many chances and have botched it every. single. time.

firen

I think I got a general sense about the game but as a Spider-man fan, should I purchase this for $60? I loved nearly all the previous games despite how repetitive it got.

They have to take developer Beenox off of this franchise. They've had so many chances and have botched it every. single. time.

If you say so. Shattered Dimensions was awesome, and I had more fun playing that than I did Arkham City.

Wait, is the 3DS one a different game? I haven't followed anything about this really.

Beenox made the PS3/360/Wii/3DS versions.

The PS3/360 have the open world, the Wii/3DS versions do not, they're more linear level-based affair. I did not like how the 3DS version controlled.

The DS version is by Other Ocean, and it's more metroidvania style.

I personally couldn't care less if the web stuck to buildings or not. I just want the ability to shoot web from both hands and use that momentum boost to swing faster like in Spider-Man 2.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Was able to check out my friend's copy of Web of Shadows and that game has cloud swinging too.

Well I'll probably check out the PC version of this game after I catch the movie. Don't want to get spoiled by the game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Swinging was better in Web of Shadows, combat was also better in Web of Shadows. Wolverine was also in Web of Shadows. Webs of Shadow.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, that's super lame that there's no open world in the 3ds version. Truth be told, all I want is a portable Spider-Man 2, complete with that sexy swinging gameplay. Navigating around New York in that game is so gratifying, they could just release that on the 3ds or Vita and I'd pay a retail price for it.

Honestly, it sounds like this game is about as disappointing as every other Spidey game in recent years. How Beenox is so thick to understand what makes a Spider-Man game good is a mystery to me, but looks like they managed to make another soft experience.

Oh well. Luckily, they'll keep trying until the end of time, so eventually someone will get it right again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wow, that's super lame that there's no open world in the 3ds version. Truth be told, all I want is a portable Spider-Man 2, complete with that sexy swinging gameplay. Navigating around New York in that game is so gratifying, they could just release that on the 3ds or Vita and I'd pay a retail price for it.

Honestly, it sounds like this game is about as disappointing as every other Spidey game in recent years. How Beenox is so thick to understand what makes a Spider-Man game good is a mystery to me, but looks like they managed to make another soft experience.

Oh well. Luckily, they'll keep trying until the end of time, so eventually someone will get it right again.

I don't know where you're getting that it's so disappointing. The people talking negatively about it didn't even buy it, and the people who did buy it don't seem to think it's that awful.

Sojgat

Giantbomb quick look makes this game seem...... ok. I might give it a try, it looks better than the last 2 Beenox attempts at least. Web swinging seems super basic, but maybe I can find some fun with it.

dandoolan

I love the number of people who seem to think the objection to 'Cloud Swinging' is simply an issue with the visual of webs connected to nothing. Trust me, I think pretty much most of us could live with that. The issue is that the realistic physics of this old style web slinging gave the character weight and momentum and made the simple act of moving around the city more challenging and therefore more satisfying and fun once you mastered it.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to this game because with or without these physics the game seems like it might be fun, if a little less challenging.

Captain N

I got the 3DS version. I might get a chance to play it some later today. Still thinking about giving the 2DS version a shot.

So after a few hours of this last night, some thoughts about web swinging...

Overall, I'm enjoying it. I haven't really played a spiderman game since around the time of Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman. I wish some of the collision was better, some of it has been kind of weird for me if I happen to run into some buildings. It would also be nice for things near the street, such as light poles, to actually interrupt you from swinging. Web swinging in 2 will still be the best, but I still enjoy this, mainly cause I still get to feel like I'm spiderman and it feels damn fun. If they're too worried about more complex web swinging putting off younger players or something, they could always just make an easy and hard web swinging controls.

Web rush is a LOT of fun, and it makes traveling around pretty easy.

Can someone tell me about how to unlock costumes? Youtube is blocked at work.

I'm really mixed on this game, the swinging in particular.

I had thought that the only difference between Spider-Man 2 and this was cloud swinging. Boy, was I wrong. This is web slinging for babies. Point where you want to go and hold down Right Trigger. That's it. You can go from one side of Manhattan to the other with your eyes closed if you hold down RT. You can't even fall and hit the ground if you let go. Spidey will just web at the last second and gracefully land. It's simple to the point of removing involvement. I don't feel like I'm the one swinging like I do in Spider-man 2. The only comparison I can think of is Asassin's Creed, where you can hold down RT and run through an environment. But the difference there is that the environment is diverse and while any way will work, there's an optimal path or a path that's a little bit more challenging, one that you might fail. There is no way to fail in ASM's webslinging. And as a result, no way to feel like you've really succeeded at something.

All that said, it still feels good. Web zip is really neat (even if it, again, doesnt feel very involved). It's a care free sensation that it evokes as you web through the city. The animation is much better than SM2. As Spidey runs across or up buildings, jumps off of them, it looks great and really steps up the immersion.

I have the same mixed feelings about the combat. It's certainly better than SM2, but it feels like I'm doing the same thing in every fight. In the second fight in the game I got a 60x combo. And I'm not some brawling game savant. It clicks with you, but I don't feel like there's any depth there. In fact, that's a great way to summarize the game.

I'm glad I'm renting it. It's worth spending a little time with it. I think I'll buy it when it gets below $20.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm really mixed on this game, the swinging in particular.

I had thought that the only difference between Spider-Man 2 and this was cloud swinging. Boy, was I wrong. This is web slinging for babies. Point where you want to go and hold down Right Trigger. That's it. You can go from one side of Manhattan to the other with your eyes closed if you hold down RT. You can't even fall and hit the ground if you let go. Spidey will just web at the last second and gracefully land. It's simple to the point of removing involvement. I don't feel like I'm the one swinging like I do in Spider-man 2. The only comparison I can think of is Asassin's Creed, where you can hold down RT and run through an environment. But the difference there is that the environment is diverse and while any way will work, there's an optimal path or a path that's a little bit more challenging, one that you might fail. There is no way to fail in ASM's webslinging. And as a result, no way to feel like you've really succeeded at something.

Yeah, that's the impression I got after watching the GB quicklook. Sound absolutely terrible. Just completely uninvolved, automatic and pointless. That's what they did to Spidey's signature move in this game. Great job.

dandoolan

Anyone else disappointed in the available costumes? No real classic variations available. I was hoping for original Scarlet Spider, 2099, Iron Spider, Captain Universe or even just the classic comic book version of the suit. No such luck.

And I doubt the game will have enough re-playability to make DLC worth it.

brogan

Neo Member
Just got home from work to find my copy waiting on the floor for me. Man I love ShopTo! Got it to me two days before the UK release day. Can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow. Wish I didn't have plans tonight!

P.S the cloud swinging debate has been very entertaining.

Moaradin

I watched a video up til that robot fight in the beginning. This game looks a lot better than I thought. Looks like Arkham City: Spiderman Edition. May have to pick it up once it comes out on PC.

Still a bit bugged from the cloud swinging though.

dandoolan

Just got home from work to find my copy waiting on the floor for me. Man I love ShopTo! Got it to me two days before the UK release day. Can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow. Wish I didn't have plans tonight!

P.S the cloud swinging debate has been very entertaining.

That's awesome. Amazon haven't even shipped mine yet. I'm sure I'll get it on release day, but maybe I'll preorder from shopto next time.

Anyone else disappointed in the available costumes? No real classic variations available. I was hoping for original Scarlet Spider, 2099, Iron Spider, Captain Universe or even just the classic comic book version of the suit. No such luck.

I am...don't like too much of what they have in there. Also wondering why they wouldn't at least have the classic comic book costume, it should be required by default.

dreamfall

Well, I bought it. I put about four hours into the game, and pretty much did nothing but swing about, collected comic books, and did some side missions. I like it!

It is true- the swinging doesn't have any momentum. But the ease of movement is pretty insane- traversal is extremely quick, and mixing Web rush with web swinging feels exhilarating, You're swinging from the clouds, but it feels fun. I'm the type of the gamer that has more fun zipping around than actually progressing through the story, and I collected 300-ish comic book pages, and felt like Spider-man. More so than ever before.

It's also true that you can't take damage from falling- Spidey casts a safety web before hitting the ground. He also hates water. It is very forgiving. I wish there was more variety in some side missions- the petty crimes show up every now and then to add some variety, but the extreme challenge missions and the photo ops feel perfunctory. The encounters with other super villains are awesome-
I defeated Rhino in a mini boss battle in the city, and it was awesome.

As for the game itself, it feels a bit uneven. The combat is very similar to Arkham, but it feels faster without the same flow. The problem is, like the swinging, the combat doesn't feel like it has weight. The stealth takedowns feel more spectacular, and the upgrades for Spider-man add ease and variety to the combat scenarios.

In spite of all this, I've had a ton of fun! The story thus far feels good, and Spider-man's exchanges with Whitney Chang are hilarious. I wish the swinging required more skill, but it makes up for this with the quick and addictive traversal. It feels like you're flying- more Protoype than, inFamous. Any Spider-man should check it out, and I think you'd enjoy it.

brogan

Neo Member
That's awesome. Amazon haven't even shipped mine yet. I'm sure I'll get it on release day, but maybe I'll preorder from shopto next time.

I'd definitely recommend shopto. I moved to them for pre-ordering from Amazon about a year ago and every game I've ordered has come before the release date. where as Amazon seemed to post them out on release date. Shopto is usually a little cheaper too. Oh and they send them first class for free, where as Amazon charge.

kunonabi

Yeah, I don't like any of the costumes either. Probably just to the mediocre default costume.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The only thing I don't like is that the FF suit is the inverse of the way I like it.

Top Bottom