• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is America the best at Football (american)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Yo

Banned
Speaking of getting smashed, take some of those NFL players out of their helmets and shoulder pads and put them in a Rugby Union or League game... I can't see them coping with the hits or the intensity of a non stop game. :)
lol Have you seen a football player before? They wear pads so they can play more than one game without killing each other. They're literally twice the size and strength of rugby players. Football players vs rugby players in a game without pads would equal a lot of dead/permanently injured rugby players.

Seanspeed

Banned
If by succeed you mean die from a heart attack.

A linesman maybe, but linebackers are proper athletes and have the perfect build for rugby.

But they're different sports. Different conditioning and different skillsets. I dont think that other countries lack the right sort of players that could succeed in American football, but like many sports, a player benefits a hell of a lot from being brought up playing the sport and so a pro rugby player would struggle switching to pro football and vice versa.

WARCOCK

Banned
I was thinking the other day if America in general gave a shit about soccer (I do), and if all those great athletes who dedicated their craft to basketball or football their entire life, did it to soccer instead. We'd be pretty damn good.

Us reaching a relative amount of success at soccer in the future is much more likely than have the whole world embrace american football so that we may crush them at it. lol. Exceptionalists are so fucking silly.

lol Have you seen a football player before? They wear pads so they can play more than one game without killing each other. They're literally twice the size and strength of rugby players. Football players vs rugby players in a game without pads would equal a lot of dead/permanently injured rugby players.
Looking at this Patrick Willis as an example, he is 6 ft 1 and 109kg. He'd be considered about average on a rugby field. Smaller than a forward, and about standard for an outside back

Twice the size? LOL

I was thinking the other day if America in general gave a shit about soccer (I do), and if all those great athletes who dedicated their craft to basketball or football their entire life, did it to soccer instead. We'd be pretty damn good.

The US team is good, it just severely lacks creative players. Given it has passed almost 20 years since 1994, it shouldn't take long til a great player appears and helps out (Donovan lol).
If one thing the USA is good in sports, is tactical discipline, too bad in real football 8 out of 10 times* (no source) it needs that "something else".

maybe. i wonder what would happen if some of these rugby players tried to put on a helmet and pads and actually learn to play professional football with its ultra complex schemes and formations/etc.

if you took took the best LB in the NFL i bet he could succeed at rugby. i doubt the best rugby player could step in and be a successful NFL player

I found this list on wiki, it's actually really interesting. Surprising one of the highest switching code rates come from Australian Rules Football to NFL...weird.

As others have said though, the skill sets are similar yet quite different in terms of conditioning etc. I think the average NFL player is incredibly quick off the mark and at shorter distances (as they have to be), but Union/League is a non-stop grinding game, probably not suited to most NFL players.

Kabouter

The US team is good, it just severely lacks creative players. Given it has passed almost 20 years since 1994, it shouldn't take long til a great player appears and helps out (Donovan lol).
If one thing the USA is good in sports, is tactical discipline, too bad in real football 8 out of 10 times* (no source) it needs that "something else".

What the US needs is better technique training for youth players. US players tend to be physically strong and highly motivated, but their technique is usually poor.

I found this list on wiki, it's actually really interesting. Surprising one of the highest switching code rates come from Australian Rules Football to NFL...weird.

As others have said though, the skill sets are similar yet quite different in terms of conditioning etc. I think the average NFL is incredibly quick off the mark and at shorter distances (as they have to be), but Union/League is a non-stop grinding game probably not suited to most NFL players.

Comparing physical endurance of rugbi to american football is a bit like comparing boxers with mma fighters.

What the US needs is better technique training for youth players. US players tend to be physically strong and highly motivated, but their technique is usually poor.

I think they are well rounded, just a bit stiff still. They could borrow a bit from american football drills, although not specializing players, making everyone train everything, get all players 'good' at all the basic sets.

As others have said though, the skill sets are similar yet quite different in terms of conditioning etc. I think the average NFL is incredibly quick off the mark and at shorter distances (as they have to be), but Union/League is a non-stop grinding game probably not suited to most NFL players.

A lot of them go over and become kickers.

Kickers do only that, kick and then leave the field

They get a lot more money than in AFL too

El Sloth

Banned
Somoans. For such a small island, they produce some of the NFL's top players. However, the US has the most talent by a wide margin. It's really amazing how much of a monopoly the US has on football.
I have a feeling you may be thinking about American Samoa which, as the name implies, is a territory of the U.S.

Zekes!

qBEVH.jpg

haha

what's this from? Eyeshield?

cdyhybrid

"Hey guys, if the rest of the world hypothetically played American football, how would this work out?"

"NO ONE CARES ABOUT HANDEGG FAT AMERICAN" x50

Alrighty then.

alstein

A lot of them go over and become kickers.

Kickers do only that, kick and then leave the field

They get a lot more money than in AFL too

I thought AFL players were decently paid, like at least $100k or so. AFL to me from what little I've seen of it, looks to be a bunch of American football punters playing Calvinball. Looks like fun though.

Grifter

it'd be like the original basketball dream team if, as soon as the opposing team got the ball, they were murdered via sheer force.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont think its that. Its just that we have a smaller percentage of youth that are big into soccer. There's plenty of athletes that would probably be mega in soccer if they got into it, but most Americans are pressured into playing other competitive school sports.

Soccer is huge over in Europe and many foreign countries, so there's a larger pool of players. The bigger the pool, the more chance there is of finding those 'great' players. We dont have such a big pool.

Its the same with car motorsports here. We dont have any huge F1 or road-racing drivers, but its not because we lack the ability or anything, its just that people interested in racing here are pushed towards NASCAR-style racing.

WARCOCK

Banned
"Hey guys, if the rest of the world hypothetically played American football, how would this work out?"

"NO ONE CARES ABOUT HANDEGG FAT AMERICAN" x50

Alrighty then.

The question has such an obvious answer, that i have no idea why anybody would post a thread about it other than to troll.

Zekes!

Watch there be this random, small ass country that is secretly obsessed with American Football and studies it and practices it like monks

I thought AFL players were decently paid, like at least $100k or so. AFL to me from what little I've seen of it, looks to be a bunch of American football punters playing Calvinball. Looks like fun though.
100k would be for a pretty average player, I don't know how much they are getting in the NFL but the roof would be way higher

butimnotarapper

Neo Member
I don't have anything against rugby...if you enjoy playing/watching it, cool. But it always comes up in these arguments that American football players wear pads so they aren't as tough. There would literally be deaths on the field if they didn't...they don't put on the pads because they're scared of contact

Verelios

Fucking A. I knew I should have logged onto GAF earlier. Thanks a lot Dresden- you ruined my cameo moment.

Edit: ? That's his everyday face. You've never met a stoic Japanese line back that just so happened to be considerate? Really now, for shame.

danwarb

I don't have anything against rugby...if you enjoy playing/watching it, cool. But it always comes up in these arguments that American football players wear pads so they aren't as tough. There would literally deaths on the field if they didn't...they don't put on the pads because they're scared of contact
It'd be different without the padding and helmets. Wouldn't be such a collision sport, tackles would be more rugby like. No charging in head first.

Seanspeed

Banned
It'd be different without the padding and helmets. Wouldn't be such a collision sport, tackles would be more rugby like. No charging in head first.

Wrong. American football started out with minimal padding and helmets. They gradually increased the protection of the players because of how rough things got.

EDIT: sorry for double post.

100k would be for a pretty average player, I don't know how much they are getting in the NFL but the roof would be way higher

Rookies make around 60k. The best of the best make over 1mill a year in AFL, its by far the most popular sport in Australia. AFL players wouldnt transition to the NFL very well though, a solid midfielder in the AFL would run 15-16 km a game while the forwards would still need to run quite alot, so aerobic ability is much more important than explosiveness.

Ive played both American Football and Australian Football and i love them both in their own ways, fun to play and requiring very different skill sets. I almost made the Australian team to go play in the world championships (American Football) but i didnt have the $6000 to go and compete but a few of my teammates went. Yes we lost every game by a fair amount lol. From memory i think the best teams were Germany, Japan and of course Canada and the US.

cdyhybrid

Pretty apt description considering tackling in Rugby League is almost entirely grappling techniques now, with the occasional big hit.

Which is funny, because a lot of people complain that proper tackling technique is a lost art in modern football. People too concerned about the big hit and getting on TV to properly tackle.

FootballFan

Spot on. Landon Donovan and Dempsey are the US best players cause they are good players not because they are super fast and strong. Technique/Skill/Talent are so much more important than speed strength and height. The best football player in the world is in my avatar, and he is 5'6. Isn't the fastest on his team, isn't the strongest and obviously isn't the tallest.

But of course these sort of talents could exist in the US but they never gave football(soccer) a go.

This is such bullshit. The only other Championship game that draws more is The Champion League final. 111 million people tuned in to watch The Superbowl world wide.

Guessing 95million were Americans?

I... what? How is it possible to answer this?! If it was popular all over the world? No, I don't expect the US would dominate. I don't think anyone would dominate. Its impossible to know really. In the current world, yes the US dominates at American football, because hardly anyone else plays American football.
We don't need your woosy padding!

The reason why there are big hits in NFL is because all you need to do is get the player/ball to ground and that is it. In rugby you need to stop momentum completely by holding them on the ground, or at best stopping momentum while they are standing. Launching in and tackling like an NFL player would be classed as an ineffective tackle because the attacking player would just get back up and keep running

That Patrick Willis actually has very good technique for an NFL player, making proper wrapping tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if he played rugby at some point

danwarb

Wrong. American football started out with minimal padding and helmets. They gradually increased the protection of the players because of how rough things got.

EDIT: sorry for double post.
Not very wrong, take the padding away and it looks very different. Tackles get harder with padding/helmets.

maybe. i wonder what would happen if some of these rugby players tried to put on a helmet and pads and actually learn to play professional football with its ultra complex schemes and formations/etc.

if you took took the best LB in the NFL i bet he could succeed at rugby. i doubt the best rugby player could step in and be a successful NFL player
Uh you think rugby players don't have to learn that? If anything it's harder because they do learn ultra complex formations and they have to put them into practice it on the fly

You're also wrong in what you say. There are only a few players who have to learn the plays back to front, and those are the ones running the show. Most of the players are given simple instructions for each set move that they stick to. It works the same in rugby

Seanspeed

Banned
Not very wrong, take the padding away and it looks very different. Tackles get harder with padding/helmets.
You're confusing cause and effect here. Why do you think they wear the padding and helmets they do? Its cuz these guys DID hit each other brutally and realized they need to start safe-guarding against this sort of thing. It became a legit strategy to hire the biggest/strongest dudes you could to hurt other players. And its still a problem. If you follow the sport, you'd know about the recent controversy with the Saints and their 'bounty' incentives.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

My dad and coaches in football as a kid always told me: "Those pads aren't to protect you. They're so you can hit the other guy harder." I think there's some validity in that.

Its kinda like boxing. Early on, boxing was bare-knuckle, and while bloody and gruesome, there was less long term injury and less deaths because a huge hay-maker could fuck up your hand. Add gloves into the mix and you can hit with huge increase in force.

Uh you think rugby players don't have to learn that? If anything it's harder because they do learn ultra complex formations and they have to put them into practice it on the fly

You're also wrong in what you say. There are only a few players who have to learn the plays back to front, and those are the ones running the show. Most of the players are given simple instructions for each set move that they stick to. It works the same in rugby

You may have only one piece of the puzzle, but if you don't look at the big picture in a play in American football, you have no idea how, for example, as a wideout your route will influence the defensive coverage across the field and how our teammates routes may open up for you.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Their loss.

Not really. You can't really expect people with no affiliation to any of the teams, athletes, states or country to stay up from 2 til 5am on a Monday night/Tuesday morning to watch a game which is largely impenetrable in terms of tactics and rules.

I'm in the UK and love the NFL, but it's a big ask to get mainstream support for it here.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I don't get the point. Who else plays the fucking game but Americans?

Professionally? Canadians. And Europe had NFL Europa for a while.

Also for everyone to note!:

IFAF World Championship

So yeah. Japan gave us a run for our money our first year but we were hardly using the best players. We were using graduating seniors who weren't going to the NFL.

Player eligibility:
  1. Professionals from any US or Canadian league were ineligible
  2. Player must have graduated from college—current college players were ineligible
  3. All levels of NCAA and NAIA athletics were required to be represented, not just DI-A
  4. Players must be no more than one year removed from college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom