• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch

mstevens

I was waiting for a Switch release to jump into the series, but I kinda wish it was a build-from-the-ground up version.

Sillverrr

I played 4 Ultimate for 100 hours on the 3DS and loved it. However, the glorified expansion packs that followed weren't enough to pull me back in.

Porting a version to Switch changes things up sufficiently that I'm immediately interested: Pro controller, resolution bump, TV play.

I would NOT buy XX for 3DS, so in this respect Capcom has pulled off a win. However, they still need to release a proper sequel after this, if they want to grow interest in the series worldwide.

daxy

I was waiting for a Switch release to jump into the series, but I kinda wish it was a build-from-the-ground up version.

By all accounts, you may want to hold off for a little while longer then, because this one is more mechanically complex than previous numbered entries and this complexity is not explained all too well (but it's an easier game overall).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Always assumed that MHXX would be one of the showcase titles for Nintendo's paid online service to users ready to pay. Interested to see if it infers more online functionality compared to previous games.
This never was going to happen on year 1 if the Switch...didnt happen on PSP, Wii or 3DS either.

They won't drop MH5 on a system with a small install base unless they go multi.

_Clash_

No to the open world. As an MH vet with numerous hours over the years I like the way the map is. The set up is multiple "arenas" that are linked together. Each "arena" differs from each other which you have to adapt to the surroundings. Some sections are very small with very little room for error and some are big that give you a little more breathing room. There are areas that have ledges, water, temperature changes etc. that gives advantages/disadvantages to the monster or the player. Monsters traverse some sections of the map not available to the player. Making those parts available via open world would impact the the "arena" aspect of the game.

latest

I agree. You get it

redcrayon

No to the open world. As an MH vet with numerous hours over the years I like the way the map is. The set up is multiple "arenas" that are linked together. Each "arena" differs from each other which you have to adapt to the surroundings. Some sections are very small with very little room for error and some are big that give you a little more breathing room. There are areas that have ledges, water, temperature changes etc. that gives advantages/disadvantages to the monster or the player. Monsters traverse some sections of the map not available to the player. Making those parts available via open world would impact the the "arena" aspect of the game.

latest
Yeah, as someone with at least a thousand hours in the series over the last decade I agree with this. The arenas allow battle to ebb and flow, with breathers as both the monster and players can disengage. It also keeps the game focused on the battle, with some locations having nowhere to hide, rather than a bloated world that just adds extra minutes of running after the creature. Watch a team of hunters close on a monster at the start of a game, they are sprinting towards the mark, not enjoying the scenery, and I'm not sure I'd want that to be trebled by them having to run through a massive open world that only exists because it's fashionable rather than serves the game. Instantaneous area transitions/hugely decreased load times I'd be happy with though.

KingBroly

Banned
Monster hunter Open world PS4 next gen baby no more loading times etc.

#believe it

Making Monster Hunter open world would fundamentally change how the game works. Monster Hunter is insanely intrinsic, with each gameplay system and mechanic building on each other. If you change one aspect of the game, you have to change everything

also

Banned
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071YH7Z68/

Says by Nintendo here which means published and distributed by usually or at least distributed by.
I was going by NUK's page
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Monster-Hunter-Stories--1215387.html#gameDetails
Is Amazon reliable?
4U is listed as by Nintendo on Amazon uk, and it but by Capcom on Amazon fr, and de.
Generations is by Nintendo on all 4.
Stories I could only find on de and it's by Nintendo.

Underwater fights were the best. All yall suck.
I wouldn't say the best but now that they are gone, I kind of miss them...

TreIII

latest

Well put.

There's definitely other QoL things and other enhancements I could see them doing for the next definitive game. But the map system is fine as is.

NewGame

Banned
Switch is the best console now. gg ps4 xbone it was nice of you to come to the party though PEACE OUT

*begins building theoretical armour sets*

mstevens

Always assumed that MHXX would be one of the showcase titles for Nintendo's paid online service to users ready to pay. Interested to see if it infers more online functionality compared to previous games.

This never was going to happen on year 1 if the Switch...didnt happen on PSP, Wii or 3DS either.

They won't drop MH5 on a system with a small install base unless they go multi.

Oh, I know. I was planning on waiting awhile. This is unexpected and I'm not sure what route to take. Leaning towards just waiting for a fresh start in a new, numbered entry.

I tried the Wii U demo years ago and didn't quite get it, but since then I've platinumed God Eater 1 and 2 and Freedom Wars (plus all the Souls games, which I know are much different but I love their boss fights for similar characteristics to this - weightiness, learning moves, rewarding combat) so I think I'm ready to try the series again.

MH could go open world but they would need some pretty serious structure changes. It's not as easy as make big world, put monsters in it.

_Clash_

Yeah, as someone with at least a thousand hours in the series over the last decade I agree with this. The arenas allow battle to ebb and flow, with breathers as both the monster and players can disengage. It also keeps the game focused on the battle, with some locations having nowhere to hide, rather than a bloated world that just adds extra minutes of running after the creature. Watch a team of hunters close on a monster at the start of a game, they are sprinting towards the mark, not enjoying the scenery, and I'm not sure I'd want that to be trebled by them having to run through a massive open world that only exists because it's fashionable rather than serves the game. Instantaneous area transitions/hugely decreased load times I'd be happy with though.

+1

Quadratic

This announcement is the one I've been waiting for. I was hoping a Switch MonHun would come after a revision. Needless to say I'm super excited.

Meesh

Can't wait for them to show this off at E3 (?). Will they dub XX as XXHD?... a few more added features for Switch too? I'm hype!!

Kyoufu

Can't wait for them to show this off at E3 (?). Will they dub XX as XXHD?... a few more added features for Switch too? I'm hype!!

It's just called XX Switch ver.

I'm not getting any hopes up about it looking significantly better than the 3DS version.

Dragons Dogma is for you people

Not really. I would prefer zones myself. But everyone saying that going open world would fundamentally change the series. Well yeah, duh, but you can still retain the spirit of the franchise while going open world. Does everyone think you're gonna have zoned MH forever and ever? People are gonna have to get comfortable with the idea of a franchise shakeup at some point.

nubbe

Not really. I would prefer zones myself. But everyone saying that going open world would fundamentally change the series. Well yeah, duh, but you can still retain the spirit of the franchise while going open world. Does everyone think you're gonna have zoned MH forever and ever? People are gonna have to get comfortable with the idea of a franchise shakeup at some point.

The only thing open world adds is time running over empty empty space you don't care about.

Deku89

I'm not getting it for the better visuals, but the better controls. My hand cramps up every time I think of playing MH4U. Playing split controls or with the pro will be glorious.

Kyoufu

Dragons Dogma combat is horrendous compared to MH

Different games with different goals in mind but if you really want to go there, let me just say that bows/guns in MH feel like they were designed back in the 1800s. They'd be a lot more fun to play with controls designed for normal people, like you know, Dragon's Dogma.

Archery in MH is its weakest area and needs to be revamped.

Well, time to get a Switch I guess.

But I hope that they will announce MH5 soon, it doesn't matter the platform. I didn't enjoy X as much as 4U.

The only thing open world adds is time running over empty empty space you don't care about.

Oh, so you don't actually have any real criticism. Okay.

There are certain aspects of MH that could benefit for open world but the structure of the games have to change. And certain aspects of MH could use structural changes, it's not the perfect series. Far from.

Always assumed that MHXX would be one of the showcase titles for Nintendo's paid online service to users ready to pay. Interested to see if it infers more online functionality compared to previous games..
They desperately need a better way for player communication (especially during hunts). Generations was a supreme disappointment in this regard - it's pretty sad that it has worse online infrastructure compared to a 2010 Wii game.

But they'll really need to hit it out of the park to get people to pay for the online service.

nubbe

Oh, so you don't actually have any real criticism. Okay.

There are certain aspects of MH that could benefit for open world but the structure of the games have to change. And certain aspects of MH could use structural changes, it's not the perfect series. Far from.

Just wait for Dauntless to see how much these ideas will suck
Open world is not something that adds anything to these types of games

NewGame

Banned
Different games with different goals in mind but if you really want to go there, let me just say that bows/guns in MH feel like they were designed back in the 1800s. They'd be a lot more fun to play with controls designed for normal people, like you know, Dragon's Dogma.

Archery in MH is its weakest area and needs to be revamped.

I agree that the tedious micromanagement of ammo in the game is not so great but you can't make me not feel exhilarated when I slam a full clip of siege pierce ammo through a jho.

Top Bottom