• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about that other site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Something seems real fishy about the way the neogaf replacement site was set up. Who started it? Who owns it? Are moderators from here now over there? How did it start so quickly after the controversy over here?

Does anyone else think that sites fishy or is it just me?

Fishy as in they are trying to make money off it? Registration is free. I’m on there as well, It’s hard for me to leave gaf coz this one of the best forums free of trolling, well there was some 4chan light shit but still.

Hitman

Fishy cause no one knows who the owners are? Fishy cause it seems like it was set up even before the controversy broke.

Could it be just some opportunists looking to make a buck off Neogaf's demise? Maybe. But they don't have a profit or revenue source for the site, so who funded its start up and its current operation?

JordanN

Banned
Eh, it's just a forum. Anyone can make one.

I actually remember making one back in 2007 using those free website hosters, lol.

Even if it's fishy, I don't really care. GAF and Reset are two different personas unrelated to each other.

Hitman

Eh, it's just a forum. Anyone can make one.

I actually remember making one back in 2007 using those free website hosters, lol.

Even if it's fishy, I don't really care. GAF and Reset are two different personas unrelated to each other.

True anyone can make one. But to make one in such a quick and fast efficiency, with about 15+ workers making it happen, and an exploding user base seems fishy to me. Especially since it's all done seemingly without a way for them to make a profit.

True anyone can make one. But to make one in such a quick and fast efficiency, with about 15+ workers making it happen, and an exploding user base seems fishy to me. Especially since it's all done seemingly without a way for them to make a profit.
Um, its genesis is pretty clear. It's all right there in the post-exodus Discord that everyone used to migrate over and which is currently archived.

I'm sure they're making millions with all those nonexistent ads too.

Hitman

Um, its genesis is pretty clear. It's all right there in the post-exodus Discord that everyone used to migrate over and which is currently archived.

I'm sure they're making millions with all those nonexistent ads too.

Maybe it is? Or maybe it just seems like it's clear. I don't know, I'm probably just being paranoid, could you please explain how it exactly all went down?

I'm ignoring your shade in hopes that you'll explain to me how the other site got started and by who.... :p

Maybe it is? Or maybe it just seems like it's clear. I don't know, I'm probably just being paranoid, could you please explain how it exactly all went down?

I'm ignoring your shade in hopes that you'll explain to me how the other site got started and by who.... :p
Cerium personally put up the money and continues to fund the site.

ZhugeEX, Emily and other exiled former GAFfers were administrators who helped put the site together in a weekend.

The resettlers who shepherded the communities via Discord were given codes to send out to the select few who initially got in the first wave before public registration opened.

It's all rather boring, actually.

JordanN

Banned
The resettlers who shepherded the communities via Discord were given codes to send out to the select few who initially got in the first wave before public registration opened.

Ugh, that sounds cringey. And I don't say that to be a douche.

But rather I don't think anyone should need a shepard to find a website. At least, not anyone over 18.

But rather I don't think anyone should need a shepard to find a website. At least, not anyone over 18.
Initial registration was private (presumably to avoid the trolls), hence the extended period of people here begging for codes and Discord invites in OT community threads.

It was pretty messy, but I guess it helped keep the vermin out temporarily.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When I see the threads it almost makes my stomach churn a bit because it's literally copied and pasted. Its like an alternate universe or a big FU.

People had to get an invite to Discord to get those invitation. AKA, they were willing to move in the first place.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Community effort, plain and simple. There were thousands of Gaffers in discord when the site imploded and a whole lot of people pulled all-nighters to get a replacement site going. And even then it got delayed a few days.

And the sheparding system was a solution to get the remaining folks from GAF onto the discord so they could receive invites to the new forum. Again, a huge community effort that was kinda mindblowing to be a part of.

Ubername

Banned
lmao @ trying to keep drama going
This is true, but the fact that people felt so righteous about leaving here is just as fucked. Like, why are people so willing to throw someone under the bus to make a point? All those who left were just falling prey to someone else's ploy and it's embarrassing people felt justified in the way they acted.

And when all was said and done nothing came of it. Great job guys, you've made yet another schism, and for shit.

Ubername

Banned
Community effort, plain and simple. There were thousands of Gaffers in discord when the site imploded and a whole lot of people pulled all-nighters to get a replacement site going. And even then it got delayed a few days.

And the sheparding system was a solution to get the remaining folks from GAF onto the discord so they could receive invites to the new forum. Again, a huge community effort that was kinda mindblowing to be a part of.

Again, another reason that whole crowd is fucked. Did you guys even know what you were reacting to, and if so, did you have enough evidence to rightly do so? You didn't, and a bunch of people were displaced for a political martyrdom that I'm sure most weren't even on board with. That's nothing to be proud of

And when all was said and done nothing came of it. Great job guys, you've made yet another schism, and for shit.
I'd say a good deal came of it. Some QoL features I can't live without now, for one.

There's nothing really here. Look at the threads. To call it a schism suggests a sort of even split. I'd call it a migration.

Who knows what the future holds, though.

JordanN

Banned
Again, another reason that whole crowd is fucked. Did you guys even know what you were reacting to, and if so, did you have enough evidence to rightly do so? You didn't, and a bunch of people were displaced for a political martyrdom that I'm sure most weren't even on board with. That's nothing to be proud of

Honestly, I wouldn't have had a problem with it if a lot of members didn't leave in disgrace. I even wanted to be like other users and post on both sites.

To quote myself from October, it was like watching co-workers start pissing all over the floor because the CEO was accused of something.

TransTrender

Gold Member
What I hate is that they killed NeoGAF for a complete non-issue and how quickly they 'ate their own' on this. Overall it was such a non-issue that these same two people had a consensual relationship some time afterwards. For that other subplot NeoGAF had its ups and downs with the echo chamber since almost the beginning, and 2017 was shaping up to be the worst yet, but I guess the others power players in the background decided to go nuclear and torch Tyler the first chance they got and setup their own site in the ashes. I fucking hate that this place got destroyed. I haven't joined the other place l, mostly because I know it won't be the same, and whenever I look everything seems to move insanely fast which makes it shitty to follow and I'm guessing that's because of the open enrollment.

Whatever. Rant over.

Dark_castle

We had proofs up to wazoo. Fine if you want go stay on this site, but don't be disingenuous and pretend it was all a ruse. Google Evilore and soon enough you can find a list of things he engaged in the past, some not so distant as well.

Hoo-doo

Banned

You obviously weren’t a part of what happened.

EL had ample opportunity to salvage this board. Yet instead of responding, he acted like a dictator, nuking OT, restricting PM’s, removing the edit notifications and blocking all mention of RE for example. He made ass-backwards decisions and the community decided that it wanted a clean slate.

After all, nobody gives a damn who runs the board. It’s 100% about the community that creates the actual content. And those people couldn’t have been more on-board to relocate to a new home.

JordanN

Banned
You obviously weren't a part of what happened.

EL had ample opportunity to salvage this board. Yet instead of responding, he acted like a dictator, nuking OT, restricting PM's, removing the edit notifications and blocking all mention of RE for example.

To be fair, users literally turned into shills and were editing threads/posts so it only promoted Reset.

It's like faulting Mcdonalds for blocking Burger King from advertising inside.

Hoo-doo

Banned
To be fair, users literally turned into shills and were editing threads/posts so it only promoted Reset.

It's like faulting Mcdonalds for blocking Burger King from advertising inside.

Well yeah, nearly every single thread around that time was filled with people just asking for PM’s to get invites to the discord. People wanted off the damn train.

I don’t have any recollection of people abusing the post edit function to promote Reset. That makes zero sense since they actually removed the edit notification.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Well yeah, nearly every single thread around that time was filled with people just asking for PM’s to get invites to the discord. People wanted off the damn train.

I don’t have any recollection of people abusing the post edit function to promote Reset. That makes zero sense since they actually removed the edit notification.
First thing I thought of about the edit thing was seeing some threads in the gaming side being bumped by new users for legitimate reasons and seeing posts from June or July being edited to flame Tyler or promote the other site. Soo random but it did happen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
First thing I thought of about the edit thing was seeing some threads in the gaming side being bumped by new users for legitimate reasons and seeing posts from June or July being edited to flame Tyler or promote the other site. Soo random but it did happen.

How would removing the post edit NOTIFICATION help to combat that? It would only make it worse. This argument makes no sense.

JordanN

Banned

I remember seeing old PS Vita threads getting bumped and there were photoshops of Evilore next to an eggplant.

Apparently, the eggplant is their mascot or something.

Well they are off to a great start, that chick mod is unhinged AF. MANSPLAINING BANS for real.

There was a great thread by a MtF about trans people not making an effort to look the part and she was dogpiled, called problematic before catching a ban.

The far left drones who need to be told how to think all were told to go and they did.

The delete my account posts were cringey as all hell. ...like they thought they were so important.

Hitman

Cerium personally put up the money and continues to fund the site.

ZhugeEX, Emily and other exiled former GAFfers were administrators who helped put the site together in a weekend.

It's all rather boring, actually.

Thanks for the info. So who's Cerium and how involved was he on neogaf?

David___

Banned
I'd say a good deal came of it. Some QoL features I can't live without now, for one.

There's nothing really here. Look at the threads. To call it a schism suggests a sort of even split. I'd call it a migration.

Who knows what the future holds, though.

Pretty much. You go down to the first page in OT and there's threads from 2-3 days ago still here. The oldest post in Gaming is from nearly 36 hours ago. The biggest info dump of the year got less than 40 posts before dying. There's, at most, maybe two-three dozen consistent posters through out OT and Gaming with the rest being lurkers.

Heath V

Pretty much. You go down to the first page in OT and there's threads from 2-3 days ago still here. The oldest post in Gaming is from nearly 36 hours ago. The biggest info dump of the year got less than 40 posts before dying. There's, at most, maybe two-three dozen consistent posters through out OT and Gaming with the rest being lurkers.

True, I hope it turns around. If anything, it's going to take some time.

Meh3D

I'm not exactly sure this is a bad thing (yet.) Some (not all) post where nothing but chat responses rather than actual thought out post. There would be threads of people posting canned responses. When there was some kind of announcement or NPD post for example, you would have pages and pages where the thread was a glorified chat room with one liners.

Very difficult to follow or contribute. I still remember contributing to a topic only to find it buried 6 pages back under "all over my tits", gif responses, and everyone's favorite "bomba!." I know these are extremes however it was a common occurrence on this forum.

I agree that I would like more people to contribute though I don't think the old way is the best way.

pj

Banned
Being in the discord at that time, there was actually a lot of discussion as to why it was taking so long.

Forums are trivial to create these days, so if anything it should have taken less time.

Bluecondor

I'm not exactly sure this is a bad thing (yet.) Some (not all) post where nothing but chat responses rather than actual thought out post. There would be threads of people posting canned responses. When there was some kind of announcement or NPD post for example, you would have pages and pages where the thread was a glorified chat room with one liners.

Very difficult to follow or contribute. I still remember contributing to a topic only to find it buried 6 pages back under "all over my tits", gif responses, and everyone's favorite "bomba!." I know these are extremes however it was a common occurrence on this forum.

I agree that I would like more people to contribute though I don't think the old way is the best way.

I completely agree with you. The high volume of posts was impressive, but a lot of it was one liners, .gifs and memes. There were a lot of inside jokes in posts like "This is NeoGAF...." that were endearing, but didn't add any substance.

While it would be nice to see more people contributing, I don't miss these types of posts.

Alx

It's not a surprise that someone could build up a forum from scratch in a few hours. The instant rise of the population is noticeable of course, but it can be explained by the perfect storm that happened ; another page of internet drama for history. It's actually funny how most people always criticized the idea of a "hive mind" on neogaf, while such a mass migration is by definition hive behaviour.
Anyway, I'm posting both here and there, and hope it will be an opportunity to build two different experiences. Not too fond of some of the new features over there, especially the mod messages in red "user was warned for doing this and that". Transparency is good, but that method just makes you feel mods breathing down your neck at any time. I hope that future Neogaf will have a more subtle approach.

S-Wind

Well they are off to a great start, that chick mod is unhinged AF. MANSPLAINING BANS for real.

There was a great thread by a MtF about trans people not making an effort to look the part and she was dogpiled, called problematic before catching a ban.

The far left drones who need to be told how to think all were told to go and they did.

The delete my account posts were cringey as all hell. ...like they thought they were so important.

Were you not around for Dragona's tenure as a mod?

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
This is just going to become a forum warzz thread. I read both sites and they both have their problems.

No it won't - otherwise it will be locked.

Gentle reminder
just because the mods are not actively participating in discussion anymore doesn't mean threads aren't being watched...

Aside from the recent trolls and/or inflammatory posters, we believe the people left can discuss this topic is a mature way.

Can you please leave out any of the alleged details as they should not be discussed due to any potential legal ramifications in the background. Certain decisions were made with regards to the site that were necessary and the reasons will not be made public. Rest assured, they were not taken lightly but were necessary.

Where you see damage, try to see opportunity. Much of GAF is great, we hope to restore some balance back to discussions and topics and allow debates and arguments to develop organically - provided they are done in a polite and respectful manner.

Going forward, we hope to see the quality of the discourse improve over time. There are enough members here, with a wealth of knowledge and creativity to rebuild the direction and tone of the site going forward.

With regards to the software upgrades, we'd love to be able to just disregard the entire history of the site and not migrate it. However, there are technical challenges when migrating a large database cross platform with minimal downtime. We trust common sense will prevail when considering this, but the upgrades are now imminent.

Over to you ;)

Re: Forum avatars we are looking into. There does seem to be a inconsistent issue which is proving difficult to track down.

Osukaa

Honestly, I wouldn't have had a problem with it if a lot of members didn't leave in disgrace. I even wanted to be like other users and post on both sites.

To quote myself from October, it was like watching co-workers start pissing all over the floor because the CEO was accused of something.

Yeah... It was disgusting how some people left. Posting things to get banned and shit talking the ones who stayed. Not all were like that but the ones that where, I'm glad they left. Regardless of what happens I still stand by GAF being a community not a single member/owner and I quite enjoy that I can actually read threads at a slower pace lol.

Datalore

Neo Member
Yeah I wouldn't overthink it OP. Lots of people using GAF migrated over in an orderly fashion. The communities are just very different, as is the scale of activity.

llien

"Couple of hours and it's ready" forum software is available for... decades already?
Active user base shifting from discord to new URL in days... hardly surprising?

And last, but not least, what on earth is "fishy" about online forums?

People have a choice, stay here, move there, or be present on both.

I thought having more choices was... better?

Forum warzzz are laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom