• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Blackhead

Redarse
The pages on apple.com dedicated to each of the 3 models show it with the display off in several shots (example). Same with each model page on store.apple.com. All of the store pages for the bands show the watch with the display off.
Those are one or two shots with the display off out of dozens with the display on. Even more egregious are the glamor model pictures with the display on whereas in typical real life scenario the display would almost certainly be off in that position. Almost false advertising by Apple

Cloudy

Banned
To me this device is no more about just seeing the time as the original iPhone was just about making phone calls. Anyone interested in that one function only probably shouldn't get one of these.

Watches are overwhelming fashion accessories first these days (even Apple concedes that). With the face being the main attraction. This is very problematic for any watch connoisseur thinking of getting one IMO. I'm a techie and will still get it but it CANNOT replace any of my Fossils as a go-to watch

SuperPac

A watch with a turned-off face when it's not night looks freakin' goofy to me. It's a watch not a phone

Sometimes it's a phone.

phone.png

SuperPac

Those are one or two shots with the display off out of dozens with the display on. Even more egregious are the glamor model pictures with the display on whereas in typical real life scenario the display would almost certainly be off in that position. Almost false advertising by Apple

So what are you arguing here? Many Android Wear watch product pages (whether it's Google's own Android Wear store or the manufacturer's page) don't show the screen off in any pictures when that's the default. You want them to try and sell the device with more pictures of it not in use?

Guess Who

Banned
Very true but maybe they just need to make a better battery or bulk up the watch a bit?

People already complain the Watch looks too thick as it is, and if making better batteries was that easy someone would've done it a long time ago.

Apple is going to rely on the bands to make it stand out and be fashionable, not the face.

I'm leaning towards a the black sports model. Not grabbing one at launch as I'll be out of the country for a few weeks. Want to read a few reviews ahead of time, but will probably get one in May after I'm back home.

Some of the comments in here are kind of silly. Want the screen on at all times? This isn't the device for you. Besides, it'll turn on automatically when you look at it. Most smartwatches still fall in the "screen is off when not in use" category.

I have a Cogito Classic "connected watch" and it does just enough to have me intrigued about what a true smartwatch will do. The new videos up on Apple's website are excellent for showing off the features/functionality as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
So what are you arguing here? Many Android Wear watch product pages (whether it's Google's own Android Wear store or the manufacturer's page) don't show the screen off in any pictures when that's the default. You want them to try and sell the device with more pictures of it not in use?

Are these pictures of the device in use or not:

Apple said:

Why is Apple advertising as though the watchface will always be on when the user is not looking at it? In real life scenario if the iWatch screen randomly turned on when the user is making out, or touching their hair, then the iWatch is buggy or broken.

Cloudy

Banned
Why is Apple advertising as though the watchface will always be on when the user is not looking at it?

Because a display that isn't always-on is a huge turnoff for watch enthusiasts. The plan is to lure them in and have the functionality win them over...

Ambient80

Why is Apple advertising as though the watchface will always be on when the user is not looking at it? In real life scenario if the iWatch screen randomly turned on when the user is making out, or touching their hair, then the iWatch is buggy or broken.

Maybe the user just got done using it and the screen hasn't flipped off yet.

Regarding the two straps thing for the Sport edition and the company doing the swap thing - I'm not so sure it's actually going to be two full straps:

Based on the markings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the 'M/L' part that you get two of as it's the bit that will determine the wrist size it fits on and the other half is the same for both.

Corgi

Banned
so... who's preordering blindly?

who's waiting for reviews?

who's just here to lol?

I'm pretty much here for 2... For what the watch does... the price is way too high (for me). Pebble's price is about right imo... but as always this is just the native stuff. Once a few killer apps show up, I'll just stroll in the store and pick up the "cheap" sport one :)

Still need to pick up a ps4 this year.... and the 980 ti 1080 or w/e its called.

subrock

Props to OP for that trolly thread title.

Definitely getting either of these. Leaning towards the sport because I think the polished steel looks like shit. Wish I could justify the black steel one.

SuperPac

It matters to you, awesome. I don't have any opinion on this because I already know the Watch's screen isn't always on. *shrug*

PSGames

I'm sure some enterprising developer will create a 'screen saver' app you can leave on when out and about to show off your Apple Watch.

Fusebox

Banned
Eh, I agree with Cloudy, the watch looks better when the display is on and I'd like the option to keep the display on too. Hadn't thought about that until now, it's definitely a valid gripe as minor as it may be.

Konka

Banned
Eh, I agree with Cloudy, the watch looks better when the display is on and I'd like the option to keep the display on too. Hadn't thought about that until now, it's definitely a valid gripe as minor as it may be.

You'd like to keep it on even if it means the battery lasting 6 hours?

The Llama

I'd be tempted by this if I still had an iPhone tbh, they seem cool and I like the way some of them look.

Still, as with all Apple products it's definitely better to wait until the 2nd or 3rd gen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You're not gonna keep the display on.

Forget six hours. The "all-day battery life" use case is as follows:

"90 time checks (each 4 seconds long)
Receive 90 notifications
45 minute of app use
A 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth and heartrate monitoring"

That adds up to about one hour of the display being on, and another 30 minutes of the watch actively being used with the display off. You'd be fully charging it like five times or more every day if the display didn't turn off. Good luck with that.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Receive 90 notifications
45 minute of app use
A 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth and heartrate monitoring"

That adds up to about one hour of the display being on, and another 30 minutes of the watch actively being used with the display off. You'd be fully charging it like five times or more every day if the display didn't turn off. Good luck with that.

30 minutes of music combined with standard usage?

God damn that sucks.

robotrock

Banned

In all of these scenarios it seems as if the user is flicking their arm up, thus turning on the Apple Watch display

border

This is very problematic for any watch connoisseur thinking of getting one IMO. I'm a techie and will still get it but it CANNOT replace any of my Fossils as a go-to watch

This is not really going to be a product for "watch connoisseurs" or people who consider a watch just another accessory to be worn, matched, and coordinated.

Terrell

You realize that the setting to turn the screen on and off automatically by your wrist movement is actually optional? It can be set to be turned on manually with a button press and no one has been able to test the watch with the auto-on feature switched off to know if it turns off on a set timer or if it won't turn off until your wrist is lowered. But in either case, none of these images show the watch being any lower than chest level, which means neither possible criteria to turn the display off have been met.

This perhaps isn't the sticking point you're trying to make it be.

Vert excited to get my hands on the  Watch soon!

Keeping the display on permanently would kill the battery and be generally useless. One thing to note is that battery estimates are for the 38mm, the 42 should be noticeably better.

HUELEN10

This thing is gonna just plain suck for me; battery life is looking like shit for real-world HUELEN use.

You just can't beat a pebble in the watch department. That being said, should I have the funds availible, I will be buying one at launch, just so I can give it a full week of real-world use. If it fails, I will be sad. If it succeeds, I will happily eat crow.

What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market, and Gruber has been mum on whether or not he would get one on his own (ignoring a potential review unit).

I understand the desire, but a $500+ purchase is beyond me. I understood the iPhone immediately. I cried during the iPad reveal because of its implications. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade and a shareholder for a little less time, but the watch really stumps me.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but Apple, and especially its fans, haven't given me much cause. I guess we'll see this year, especially the holiday season.

x-Lundz-x

For some reason I have this feeling this might be a flop for Apple. Could be wrong though. I just think it's too expensive. Even the sport model.

mandiller

What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market, and Gruber has been mum on whether or not he would get one on his own (ignoring a potential review unit).

I understand the desire, but a $500+ purchase is beyond me. I understood the iPhone immediately. I cried during the iPad reveal because of its implications. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade and a shareholder for a little less time, but the watch really stumps me.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but Apple, and especially its fans, haven't given me much cause. I guess we'll see this year, especially the holiday season.

You can tell Apple have no idea what to do with a watch when they show off a Photos app so you can look at the photos from your phone on your wrist with a tiny, tiny screen. And then recently showing off an instagram app. Just let it sink in how dumb that is when you're tethered phone is sitting in your pocket.

Majine

Banned
You can tell Apple have no idea what to do with a watch when they show off a Photos app so you can look at the photos from your phone on your wrist with a tiny, tiny screen. And then recently showing off an instagram app. Just let it sink in how dumb that is when you're tethered phone is sitting in your pocket.
I think they have more ideas on what to do with the watch than they had for the iPad. I never needed the iPad. But it sure is nice anyways. I expect the same thing for the watch.

Nafai1123

Banned
Honestly, I don't understand what this brings to the table. There are already android wear watches that do everything these do with better battery life that are slimmer and more importantly more much, MUCH cheaper.

I get the whole apple fandom thing but honestly, this looks like a feeble attempt at capturing the apple audience looking for a device that they can already get elsewhere.

Of course it will sell gangbusters because Apple and all that but still, it just seems like such a cop out device imo.

Corgi

Banned
Already found an unwanted side effect of smart watches today when I was at the theaters for furious 7.

Old dude in front of me kept scratching the back of his damn head and the watch display turned on to some super bright watchface. Had to politely tell him to stop doing that twice in the movie.

Like the Milanese loop, but I think in person it'll seem too feminine, and sort of flimsy.

Probably going for steel 42 with either the black sport band, or the black vs dark blue leather loop.

You all think if you have to wash your hands a lot at work the leather will start to look nasty after a while?

Terrell

Not every device clicks with every user. iPhone and iPad didn't click for a LOT of people and even after, there are people who still didn't see the utility of the iPad.

I was one of those people. I wasn't one of those guys who said "it's a giant iPhone" or made fun of the name, but I initially didn't really see how it fit into my day to day life and I didn't feel assured of its potential for success; not that I thought it would flop, I just didn't know how it would turn out in the market. But then other people made iPad sound amazing, I got hyped and I bought one, and then I barely touched it a few months in.

Now I'm seeing the inverse, where Apple Watch makes sense in how it fits into the bigger picture and there's a lot of naysaying and concern over its future in the market from others.

So I guess the lesson here is that your level of excitement for something or your inability to find value in it isn't an automatic measure of failure just because you were excited by other products that sold well. Case in point: you were probably not really jazzed about One Direction or Nickelback music-wise, and yet unfortunately......

I think it says more about Facebook since they made that Instagram app thinking that people would actually want to view photos that way. Apple gonna Apple and more than likely included a Photos app on a lark. But Instagram? Apple didn't force them to make the app, so I dunno what's going on there.

Guess Who

Banned

I too have been rather baffled by it, trying to determine what exactly the angle is for the Watch. With the iPhone and iPad, the announcements had some idea regarding what Apple thought they'd be used for. The iPhone was an iPod, a phone, and an internet browser/email client in one. The iPad was something between a laptop and a smartphone that was meant to be better than either at certain tasks. The Watch is just... this thing that sits on your wrists and tells you when you have messages and calls and tracks your heartrate and whatnot. They don't seem to have a clear message for it.

The only angle that makes sense to me is that Apple knows the Watch isn't essential to everyone in the same way a smartphone is so essential. It doesn't do anything your phone doesn't do (except admittedly fitness tracking), it just makes doing some of those things quicker and easier and more frictionless. The Watch is a nice-to-have, not a must-have - in other words, it's a luxury. And that falls in line as well with the prices of the steel and gold models, the existence of the gold models in the first place, the ridiculously high-precision manufacturing processes they're using on things like the link bracelet (9 hours to cut the links for a single band, fucking Christ). It's a non-essential luxury accessory and the whole thing is designed and priced that way.

GWX

I really want one. I wonder how much they'll cost here in Brazil, though. I mean, our iPhone 6 starts at R$ 3499 (~US$ 1117), which is the most expensive in the whole wide world. I'm expecting R$ 1499 (~US$ 479) for the 38mm Sport.

atr0cious

Receive 90 notifications
45 minute of app use

I only charge my gear s again if I plan on being out past midnight for work, with the display always on, but that's only as a precaution as it's typically only around 35% by 10pm, and I usually have my watch on from around 730am. The trick is the faces have alternate faces that use less resources, but it works great.Maybe the 2nd generation will have it.

The best part about the Apple watch launching is everyone asking me how my Apple watch is. I like switching the face to an Apple watch clone, and showing it off.

Cloudy

Banned
What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market

Why would this bother you as an investor? People buying a non-essential item at launch with this pricepoint is the absolute peak of brand loyalty.

Gruber has actually talked extensively about buying on on his podcast. He also talked about how his son wants one bad.

If you have been following Apple for only a decade you might have missed the early iPod days. (Jesus I feel old) The Watch reminds me most of the iPod actually. Like the first iPod it's a little pricey ($399). Like the first iPod, the Watch only works as an accessory to another Apple product. I think the Watch's growth curve will more closely follow the iPod than the iPhone or iPad.

Fliesen

I too have been rather baffled by it, trying to determine what exactly the angle is for the Watch. With the iPhone and iPad, the announcements had some idea regarding what Apple thought they'd be used for. The iPhone was an iPod, a phone, and an internet browser/email client in one. The iPad was something between a laptop and a smartphone that was meant to be better than either at certain tasks. The Watch is just... this thing that sits on your wrists and tells you when you have messages and calls and tracks your heartrate and whatnot. They don't seem to have a clear message for it.

The only angle that makes sense to me is that Apple knows the Watch isn't essential to everyone in the same way a smartphone is so essential. It doesn't do anything your phone doesn't do (except admittedly fitness tracking), it just makes doing some of those things quicker and easier and more frictionless. The Watch is a nice-to-have, not a must-have - in other words, it's a luxury. And that falls in line as well with the prices of the steel and gold models, the existence of the gold models in the first place, the ridiculously high-precision manufacturing processes they're using on things like the link bracelet (9 hours to cut the links for a single band, fucking Christ). It's a non-essential luxury accessory and the whole thing is designed and priced that way.

i was disappointed by the lack of narrative during the 2 (somewhat identically empty) keynotes, too.
Then i figured: one of the main narratives would have been "guys, our iPhones have become super annoying. They're getting bigger, clunkier and we keep getting bombarded by notifications in our pockets"
One of the biggest features of smartwatches is the fact that they compensate the "did my mom text me that my dad had a stroke or did amazon just recommend me new underwear"-vibration in our pockets that our phones can't really solve unless you give each of your contacts a different notification tone / vibration pattern.

Of the "things you can actively do with the watch", only the remote camera finder, music controls and the running apps are things i care about. The rest of it is purely passive, ultra-silent notification handling - and you can't really fill a keynote showing someone sitting in a meeting, looking at their wrist from time to time, ignoring a few notifications (which the audience can't hear because of the taptic engine). Don't know how to really demo that.

To anyone's saying it's pricey - it's $349 or $399 for the fully functional model. That's not pricey.

cakefoo

Moto 360 does it.
One reviewer said his battery was at 15% at the end of his day.

And his day started at 11am.

So... food for thought.

Honestly, I don't understand what this brings to the table. There are already android wear watches that do everything these do with better battery life that are slimmer and more importantly more much, MUCH cheaper.

I get the whole apple fandom thing but honestly, this looks like a feeble attempt at capturing the apple audience looking for a device that they can already get elsewhere.

Of course it will sell gangbusters because Apple and all that but still, it just seems like such a cop out device imo.
I'd rather pay a 33% "Apple tax" than convert to Android for a companion accessory.

I'm looking at my instagram feed on my iPhone right now, and my friend posted 4 pics in one frame. Coincidentally, on my 6 Plus, each pic is about the size of a 42mm Apple Watch screen. Hmm! So I'll hold my phone a foot away, like it's a Watch on my wrist. Guess what? I can see adequate detail in each pic.

Fox1304

Regarding the two straps thing for the Sport edition and the company doing the swap thing - I'm not so sure it's actually going to be two full straps:

Based on the markings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the 'M/L' part that you get two of as it's the bit that will determine the wrist size it fits on and the other half is the same for both.

I'm quite sure this is it.
When looking at the bands bought alone, on the full details it's mentionned that it comes with one small/medium band and one medium/large band.

Top Bottom