• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Square2015
Member
(12-08-2017, 06:54 AM)
Square2015's Avatar
And this with Japan largely absent this gen (about 5.5m sold so far, compared to the PS1 and PS2 selling 17-20m)
TheSpecialOne
Member
(12-08-2017, 10:32 AM)
TheSpecialOne's Avatar
.
Not Drake
Member
(12-08-2017, 11:07 AM)
Not Drake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

So if the xbox one launched with

*Being able to sell used games
*No always online requirement
*No kinect or at least a seperate kinect
*same price
* Gaming being there main focus

You think the PS4 would still have such a big lead?

First two points are irrelevant considering Xbox one actually wasn't always online nor did it block used games at launch. The thing is, since atleast 2014 MS had an SKU without Kinect, was same price or cheaper at time and focused on games. Despite all that PS4 is consistently outselling it 2 to 1. You could argue the PS4's initial success was due to the fact MS screwed up the messaging before their console launched, but to still ride on it 4 years later is silly. You have to consider PS4 is not slowing down. It's selling more units each year, because it's constantly getting better with games, accessories, revisions and system software. This whole "PS4 is a success, because Microsoft let them" is a laughable fanboy remark.
Leyasu
Member
(12-08-2017, 11:12 AM)

Originally Posted by JareBear

The PS4 is a

FUCKING
U
C
K
I
G

BEAST
E
A
S
T


Take that Spuk, Nikana, Rokker, Liliana, and the other MS X Fanboy Squad

That told em
Sosokrates
Member
(12-08-2017, 11:27 AM)
Sosokrates's Avatar

Originally Posted by Not Drake

First two points are irrelevant considering Xbox one actually wasn't always online nor did it block used games at launch. The thing is, since atleast 2014 MS had an SKU without Kinect, was same price or cheaper at time and focused on games. Despite all that PS4 is consistently outselling it 2 to 1. You could argue the PS4's initial success was due to the fact MS screwed up the messaging before their console launched, but to still ride on it 4 years later is silly. You have to consider PS4 is not slowing down. It's selling more units each year, because it's constantly getting better with games, accessories, revisions and system software. This whole "PS4 is a success, because Microsoft let them" is a laughable fanboy remark.


So why has the X1 sold so much less then PS4 then?

Also who are you quoting because I certainly didnt say or imply that.
Not Drake
Member
(12-08-2017, 12:05 PM)
Not Drake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

So why has the X1 sold so much less then PS4 then?

Also who are you quoting because I certainly didnt say or imply that.

Because PS4 is a better choice at the moment. That's my opinion.

As for you asking for a quote. You said

PS4"S huge lead is mainly due to xbox's mistakes

It implies PS4's success happened "mainly" because of Microsoft, leaving Sony hitting all the right notes and improving their product for over 4 years as a minor cause for success. It's also not true considering most (if not all) of these mistakes have been fixed a year into this console cycle when the sales difference between two consoles was around at few million units.
twinspectre
Junior Member
(12-08-2017, 12:10 PM)
twinspectre's Avatar
Congratulations :D well deserved
Sosokrates
Member
(12-08-2017, 12:21 PM)
Sosokrates's Avatar

Originally Posted by Not Drake

Because PS4 is a better choice at the moment. That's my opinion.

As for your question. You said


It implies PS4's success happened "mainly" because of Microsoft, leaving Sony hitting all the right notes and improving their product for over 4 years as a minor cause for success. It's also not true considering most (if not all) of these mistakes have been fixed a year into this console cycle when the sales difference between two consoles was around at few million units.

Saying sonys big lead in sales was caused by Microsoft mistakes is not disparaging sony at all. It is simply the truth, if MS were more like sony at the start of this gen they would of sold more and therefore sonys sales lead would be smaller.
This is just basic math.
Also I actually agree with you because if sonys big lead is caused by Microsofts mistakes on the contrary sony has not made the same mistakes and therefore been smart.
You are just strawmanning me by saying I mean something different then the actual definition of my words.


Maybe this metaphor might help you out,
Lets say you a strongman contest and the object of the contest is for the strongmen to put as many big rocks over a line 15metres away, both these men are equal in physical ability, one man is called tom the other called jim.
The day before the contest jim thinks he will do something different and drink lots of milk before the contest because he thinks it will give him strength but in the contest jim feels sick and tom puts over double the rocks over the line.

Now would saying Tom won because of jims mistake be incorrect?
JaxBriggs
Member
(12-08-2017, 12:32 PM)
JaxBriggs's Avatar
Edit: On second thoughts, never mind. We're simply going in circles here.
llien
Member
(12-08-2017, 12:33 PM)
llien's Avatar

Originally Posted by Square2015

And this with Japan largely absent this gen (about 5.5m sold so far, compared to the PS1 and PS2 selling 17-20m)

They switched to wearable stuff I was told, so Switch should be doing well.
Not Drake
Member
(12-08-2017, 12:56 PM)
Not Drake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

You are just strawmanning me by saying I mean something different then the actual definition of my words.

How is that a strawman? That's what I understood from your comment. "Microsoft's mistakes were the main reasons for the success of PS4". This is what you implied. I just answered that I disagree with that.

if MS were more like sony at the start of this gen they would of sold more and therefore sonys sales lead would be smaller.

This is something I disagree with as well and I already said that in previous comment. Microsoft fixed their mistakes by the time the console had it's first anniversary. Despite that sales for the XB1 didn't catch up to PS4's except for rare short periods like the release of XB1S when it outsold the competitor in a region or two for a few months. On the other hand in it's 4th year PS4 is selling better than ever.

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Maybe this metaphor might help you out,
Lets say you a strongman contest and the object of the contest is for the strongmen to put as many big rocks over a line 15metres away, both these men are equal in physical ability, one man is called tom the other called jim.
The day before the contest jim thinks he will do something different and drink lots of milk before the contest because he thinks it will give him strength but in the contest jim feels sick and tom puts over double the rocks over the line.

Now would saying Tom won because of jims mistake be incorrect?

Well now it's just getting silly. Tom won in the contest in 2013, but jim is coming back stronger every year after, he now decided he's lactose intolerant, but still gets his ass handed to him. In 2017 Jim kicked off an X steroid cycle to finally fuck Tom up. Lets see if it pays off for him.
Sosokrates
Member
(12-08-2017, 01:17 PM)
Sosokrates's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaxBriggs

Edit: On second thoughts, never mind. We're simply going in circles here.

Yes I agree.I dont want this to be a massive back and fourth, so thank you for ending this,
Swass
Member
(12-08-2017, 01:34 PM)
Swass's Avatar
Unsure why people think Microsoft was in the position to dominate and would have if they had proper messaging.

The 360 was already faltering due to their complete shift to casual gamers and the lack of exclusives the 2nd half of its life.. remember Microsoft fans making excuses for the lack of exclusives saying they were being pushed to the next Xbox?

Sony on the other hand was pumping out crazy amounts of exclusives including goty The Last of Us.

Sony was hitting it's stride while Microsoft was coasting and people were hyper aware of this.

Sure Microsoft probably would have been able to hang with market share a little longer.. but people can see what is going on. Microsoft has been saying the exclusives are coming for half a decade now.. but I like to think most don't really believe that is true anymore.
womfalcs3
Member
(12-08-2017, 01:38 PM)
womfalcs3's Avatar
I think the RROD fiasco was beginning of Miscrosoft's failures in the gaming space. They had denied it for a long time before finally shelling out over a billion dollars to fix it. The customers' trust in the company faltered for the Xbox 1.

Kinect was another failure that priced their product out of competition.
theHFIC
Junior Member
(12-08-2017, 05:30 PM)
theHFIC's Avatar
in defense of xbox, this sales data was probably collected prior to it being known that Nine Parchments runs at 4K 60fps on the XOX. I am sure that boosted sales decently and would wait until after the holidays to see the difference.
Atrus
Member
(12-08-2017, 05:38 PM)
I’d like one but the bundles aren’t looking too great at the moment. Battlefront 2, sports and CoD. There’s an Uncharted Collevtion one too but I own all of the previous 3.

Hopefully there are better deals over the holidays.
NeoMetallix
Member
(12-08-2017, 05:43 PM)
NeoMetallix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Square2015

And this with Japan largely absent this gen (about 5.5m sold so far, compared to the PS1 and PS2 selling 17-20m)

True but the rest of Asia is much bigger than it was now too.
Grinchy
Member
(12-08-2017, 06:03 PM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by womfalcs3

I think the RROD fiasco was beginning of Miscrosoft's failures in the gaming space. They had denied it for a long time before finally shelling out over a billion dollars to fix it. The customers' trust in the company faltered for the Xbox 1.

Kinect was another failure that priced their product out of competition.

My brother's 360 was 3 days past the one year mark, and the customer service guy was the biggest dick when I called in trying to get it fixed. It was the 3rd call in total trying to make it happen.

Then, like a week later, MS announced that they'd extend that warranty on their shiity, broken ass hardware. I was really glad that my little brother could get a working console again, and I was really glad that I hadn't bought that piece of shit myself. The new X is the first time I've used an xbox since then. Nice system, terrible OS.
FireCloud
Member
(12-08-2017, 06:18 PM)
FireCloud's Avatar

Originally Posted by theHFIC

in defense of xbox, this sales data was probably collected prior to it being known that Nine Parchments runs at 4K 60fps on the XOX. I am sure that boosted sales decently and would wait until after the holidays to see the difference.

Not sure if you are being serious.

XOX's Nine Parchments performance isn't going to be the great leveler.

I think casuals are buying what their friends have and what's considered cool currently. That seems to be the PS4.

Those who know (established gamers) are buying the PS4 because of Sony's support for the console in terms of a varied software library that has lots of games (multiplat and exclusive) in the pipeline.

MS didn't do XBOX 1 any favors by having such poor support for the 360 towards the end of its life. (That and the fiasco that tookplace during XBOX 1's announcement)

The X1X hasn't changed that. MS still seems to be primarily hoping that third-party software (with a few exclusives) will be enough.

If I was only going to have one console, PlayStation seems to be the better platform to get behind and I imagine that most people only have one console.
Dargor
Member
(12-08-2017, 06:20 PM)
Dargor's Avatar

Originally Posted by FireCloud

Not sure if you are being serious.

XOX's Nine Parchments performance isn't going to be the great leveler.

I think casuals are buying what their friends have and what's considered cool currently. That seems to be the PS4.

Those who know (established gamers) are buying the PS4 because of Sony's support for the console in terms of a varied software library that has lots of games (multiplat and exclusive) in the pipeline.

MS didn't do XBOX 1 any favors by having such poor support for the 360 towards the end of its life. (That and the fiasco that tookplace during XBOX 1's announcement)

The X1X hasn't changed that. MS still seems to be primarily hoping that third-party software (with a few exclusives) will be enough.

If I was only going to have one console, PlayStation seems to be the better platform to get behind and I imagine that most people only have one console.

You are in urgent need of a new sarcasm meter lol
FireCloud
Member
(12-08-2017, 06:24 PM)
FireCloud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dargor

You are in urgent need of a new sarcasm meter lol

Yeah, I figured it was sarcasm but (not to disparage juniors) I've seen things.
truth411
Member
(12-08-2017, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Saying sonys big lead in sales was caused by Microsoft mistakes is not disparaging sony at all. It is simply the truth, if MS were more like sony at the start of this gen they would of sold more and therefore sonys sales lead would be smaller.
This is just basic math.
Also I actually agree with you because if sonys big lead is caused by Microsofts mistakes on the contrary sony has not made the same mistakes and therefore been smart.
You are just strawmanning me by saying I mean something different then the actual definition of my words.


Maybe this metaphor might help you out,
Lets say you a strongman contest and the object of the contest is for the strongmen to put as many big rocks over a line 15metres away, both these men are equal in physical ability, one man is called tom the other called jim.
The day before the contest jim thinks he will do something different and drink lots of milk before the contest because he thinks it will give him strength but in the contest jim feels sick and tom puts over double the rocks over the line.

Now would saying Tom won because of jims mistake be incorrect?

Sooner or later you'll realize that America+UK =/= The world. Yes it would have been closer in those territories but Sony would still be dominating world wide. M.S. didn't have a year head start like last gen, and Sony had huge momentum with first party games and exclusives. MS first party and exclusive games drought in the middle to end of the previous gen didn't do them any favors either.
TheLaughingStock
Member
(12-08-2017, 07:32 PM)
TheLaughingStock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

So to avoid further confusion the PS4'S big lead over XBOX is mainly due to Microsofts blunders.
If you disagree, fine.lets leave it at that.

The big lead is mainly because PS is a bigger global brand. It wouldn't be 2:1 but Xbox would get smoked by a significant margin.

PS3 struggled because it launched late and the GPU sucked vs. what the 360 offered. Nevertheless, if they can release a financial disaster like the PS3 and still push out over 80 million in the end and sell tons of software....you have no chance of putting them in the rear view mirror when they don't fuck up. If you're one of Playstation's main competitors, then you might as well give up because it's more or less over.
Norse
(12-08-2017, 07:54 PM)

Originally Posted by BebopMcJigglypuff

How many accessories that cost as much as the console itself do you realistically expect them to sell in a year?


These are worldwide numbers! I'd expect more than 2 million. That includes 2 Xmas shopping season black Fridays too. I understand it's expensive but 2 million units can't even begin to sway developers to support it. Unless of course they are paid to.

It says more to the fact vr isn't ready for prime time yet.
BebopMcJigglypuff
Member
(12-08-2017, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Norse

These are worldwide numbers! I'd expect more than 2 million. That includes 2 Xmas shopping season black Fridays too. I understand it's expensive but 2 million units can't even begin to sway developers to support it. Unless of course they are paid to.

It says more to the fact vr isn't ready for prime time yet.

I mean, I didn't expect more than 2 mil, the pc vr headsets have probably sold like a million units. Afaik psvr was sold out for a while, meaning Sony had realistic sales expectations and probably weren't expecting the VR sales numbers you were at all. Let's be honest, what is someone even doing buying psvr for a base model? I'm sure those people are out there, but 2mil/pro userbase probably looks a bit better than the 2/70.

I would actually agree that VR isn't really ready for prime time, I haven't bought any VR headset myself. I think people expecting VR to have wii like mass market success or something right off the bat are insane. This next bit is just personal preference, but I never bothered with 3d, hated it even, because I don't want to wear glasses on my face. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. VR is even more so, for me personally to jump on board it needs to be wireless for a start, battery tech just isn't there for the weight and the headsets are still too damn bulky for me. The tech just isn't there yet IMO. Maybe it's passably good enough for racing games or something where you're in a cockpit... or for watching porn.

If it were good enough and easy enough to work with, it would get support. The idea that if everyone had a kinect it would get good dev support is laughable to me. Knockoff waggle control is straight garbage, the mass market realized this after being wooed for a short time, some people just refused to accept that. People wanting to control their tv by waving their arms like a spastic are weirdos. That doesn't mean I'm not mildly impressed with the amount of kinects and vr headsets they were able to move at their respective pricepoints anyhow, with scant content for either.
Maroon Gamer
Member
(12-08-2017, 10:04 PM)
Maroon Gamer's Avatar
100 milions now seems very close.

Great job Sony and CEO Kaz :)
SMOK3Y
Generous Member
(12-10-2017, 03:25 AM)
SMOK3Y's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.

What complete crap
Ubername
Member
(12-10-2017, 03:33 AM)
Ubername's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.




Xbox division is unprofitable?
I thought they were in profit since 2011

Good post
royox
Member
(12-10-2017, 03:39 AM)
royox's Avatar
They had to do something right this time if somebody like me that NEVER got a Sony console have PS4 as main gaming platform this gen.

(Just got a new BEAST pc but because my old toaster literally exploded lol).
ReBurn
Member
(12-10-2017, 03:41 AM)
ReBurn's Avatar
One of them is mine.
Lilseb93
Member
(12-10-2017, 04:42 AM)
Lilseb93's Avatar
We had 3 in our house including 2 Pros (I eventually sold my old one) so we've contributed to this for sure lol.
Lud3ns
Junior Member
(12-10-2017, 09:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Toni

This will never stop being funny 😂😂

Haha best GIF
truth411
Member
(12-10-2017, 09:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.




Xbox division is unprofitable?
I thought they were in profit since 2011

Garbage. C'Mon Man.
sadaiyappan
Member
(12-10-2017, 09:39 AM)
sadaiyappan's Avatar
Congratulations Sony on winning this gen!
Azelover
Member
(12-10-2017, 12:10 PM)
Azelover's Avatar
If the world stage remains okay in the next few years, I think the PS4 will cross 130 million easy. PS2 was a 50%+ increase on PS1, I think PS4 will do the same in relation its predecessor. Just my thinking, but I think it's gonna happen.
NeoMetallix
Member
(12-10-2017, 04:18 PM)
NeoMetallix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Azelover

If the world stage remains okay in the next few years, I think the PS4 will cross 130 million easy. PS2 was a 50%+ increase on PS1, I think PS4 will do the same in relation its predecessor. Just my thinking, but I think it's gonna happen.

It all depends on price. PS3 could have easily squeaked past 100M(currently sitting at an estimated 85-89M) if they could have even got it down to $149. The reason it dropped so hard after PS4 launched is it wasn’t that much cheaper than their new console! If PS4 can be brought down to $99 I can see it selling tons after PS5.
Caio
Member
(12-10-2017, 04:50 PM)
Caio's Avatar

Originally Posted by RootCause

Well deserved. Arguably one of the greatest gaming libraries of any system. While bringing new industry defining ip. Their sales are going to get wild if they can get it to $199.

I can see PS4 reaching 120-130M by the end of this generation.
IISANDERII
Member
(12-10-2017, 08:02 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swass

Unsure why people think Microsoft was in the position to dominate and would have if they had proper messaging.

The 360 was already faltering due to their complete shift to casual gamers and the lack of exclusives the 2nd half of its life.. remember Microsoft fans making excuses for the lack of exclusives saying they were being pushed to the next Xbox?

Sony on the other hand was pumping out crazy amounts of exclusives including goty The Last of Us.

Sony was hitting it's stride while Microsoft was coasting and people were hyper aware of this.

Sure Microsoft probably would have been able to hang with market share a little longer.. but people can see what is going on. Microsoft has been saying the exclusives are coming for half a decade now.. but I like to think most don't really believe that is true anymore.

The thing that got me was seeing all my friends on PS3 getting great free games month after month, year after year while we got fuck all on 360.
The quality may not be as great as PS4 but the great sales more than make up for it
IpsoFacto
Member
(Yesterday, 11:03 AM)
IpsoFacto's Avatar
Don't worry about Microsoft, they basically print money on Microsoft Office and Windows licenses.

But on the part of Sony, well done. They've been doing just fine so far.

Partly because Microsoft botched the Xbox One, I know because I was a proud Xbox 360 owner, because up until it's final years, it was a console that had something for everyone.

Playstation 4 in my opinion has something for everyone. It has exclusives, it has multiplatform titles, it has games that appeals to anime fans and it has a ton of niche games.

It's also bleeding JRPGs every two months, which so happens to be my favourite genre, so I'm like a kid in a jumbo sized candy store
Caipirinha
Member
(Yesterday, 11:17 AM)
Caipirinha's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.




Xbox division is unprofitable?
I thought they were in profit since 2011

Though not the reason for the sales success, strong disagree that Sony hasn't progressed the medium this gen. In terms of quality and diversity they have achieved an incredible library by backing outsider horses, which is exactly what the medium needed and endless iterations of Gears/Forza/Halo is exactly what it didn't need. That kind of diversity is one of the big gaps between video games and other art forms like TV and cinema and where Sony have started closing it, Microsoft are still seemingly using a spreadsheet to churn out whatever management think will sell to the most dudebros, granted they have improved a little lately but let's be honest, it's too little too late.


Another factor in the success of the PS4 I actually think is the 2008 recession. It is prove that people turn to nostalgia for comfort when struggling with economic downturns, and many more people had fond memories of Playstation franchises than Xbox ones - right at a time when Sony started exploiting that nostalgia.

I think it's one of the main reasons that console sales did stay so strong in fact. Whether you were unemployed, badly employed or just generally stressed and miserable (as I was) - video games offered the generation most badly effected by the recession in developed countries an escape.
Dunki
Member
(Yesterday, 11:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

So why has the X1 sold so much less then PS4 then?

Also who are you quoting because I certainly didnt say or imply that.

because they totally fucked up during their launch. They never got past the backlash they caused and with Sony being very smart here even using it to their advantage they decided this race since the start.

Also it helps how open and honest Sony has been in these years while Microsoft only did this a a year or so ago. But they can not repair the total broken relationship with their customers anymore.

Maybe next generation if even. They also need to hope that Sony will fuck this up pretty bad.
SMOK3Y
Generous Member
(Yesterday, 12:50 PM)
SMOK3Y's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

because they totally fucked up during their launch. They never got past the backlash they caused and with Sony being very smart here even using it to their advantage they decided this race since the start.

Also it helps how open and honest Sony has been in these years while Microsoft only did this a a year or so ago. But they can not repair the total broken relationship with their customers anymore.

Maybe next generation if even. They also need to hope that Sony will fuck this up pretty bad.

Sooo how did Sony overcome the OMG $599 US dollars? You can't keep using the start up 4yrs later....
Dunki
Member
(Yesterday, 01:25 PM)

Originally Posted by SMOK3Y

Sooo how did Sony overcome the OMG $599 US dollars? You can't keep using the start up 4yrs later....

With Sony it was just a price. With Microsoft it was a complete philosophy the backed out. While Sony was arrogant MS was straight up Evil for many people. And you can not get away from this., People who usually buy one console already bought one. Besides this MS is also known for killing projects. Crackdown 3 has become the next Last Guardian or FFXV as well.
SMOK3Y
Generous Member
(Yesterday, 05:30 PM)
SMOK3Y's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunki

With Sony it was just a price. With Microsoft it was a complete philosophy the backed out. While Sony was arrogant MS was straight up Evil for many people. And you can not get away from this., People who usually buy one console already bought one. Besides this MS is also known for killing projects. Crackdown 3 has become the next Last Guardian or FFXV as well.

Still means nothing.. forums were seething when the price of PS3 was announced there was alot of hate but thats US for ya & UK sucks up whatever US does but rest of world made up for that & the price we in AU paid for PS3 was ridiculous 😊
Bönthö
Junior Member
(Today, 01:12 AM)
Bönthö's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

So if the xbox one launched with

*Being able to sell used games
*No always online requirement
*No kinect or at least a seperate kinect
*same price
* Gaming being there main focus

You think the PS4 would still have such a big lead?

I said the PS4"S huge lead is mainly due to xbox's mistakes. I dont know how anyone can think the lead would not be smaller if MS did not get it so wrong at the start of this gen.

It just baffles me how so many people seem to be in a bubble of their own when debating over reasons why Sony has such a big market share.

The average consumers are the dominant force who will always decide which console takes the lead in sales and 90% of my console owning friends can be deemed as these "average consumers" when it comes to gaming. They simply have no idea about this reasoning which you seem to imply is the basis of decision making for everyone when choosing your console.

- They have no idea about the struggles MS faced with the launch, or if some do, don't really care as MS fixed those mistakes. I can honestly say that gaming news isn't really the topic of their day.
- They own a Ps4 and have no idea it's a bit more powerful than xone, or vice versa.
- The deciding factors basically are whichever brand they've had before, which console their friends have, and games.
- They buy one console and stick to it.
- And it doesn't get any better with mid-gen upgrades: They see X and pro running on a store and say the upgrade is basically nonexistent and in no way worth the investment, and I can totally understand why: You can still run the same games on a vanilla ps4 or xone. Of course there's more jaggies and a bit lower quality assets, but that just doesn’t matter to masses which some people here don’t seem grasp.

But you’re absolutely right, Sony didn't necessarily "masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy", they just happen to have a much bigger brand worldwide and and a load of games to go with it. These are easily the biggest factors to influence an average consumer between similar products. Both MS and Sony have good enough marketing campaigns to move consoles, but if the average consumer isn't buying your console, would you prefer developing new games to it, or increasing the pixel count of current games?



I don’t think that’s a very hard question if you want to sell as many consoles as you can. For this simple reason, vanilla ps4 sells more, and will continue to sell more than X, xone or pro. Of course the gap could be slightly smaller If MS hadn't fucked up , but in my experience it's a very marginal factor. Ps3 had a major backlash on launch and still did fine in the end, so why is that?

Thread Tools