• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Timeaisis

Have we talked about how Half Step decided a bro bar in Rainey is one of the best bars in America while not even sniffing the top 20 bars in Austin?

I hate when out of state journalists literally list a bar they went to during SXSW one year as "the best" of something.

Anyway, ate at Jacoby's the other night. Good spot, good food, ok drinks.

I've never even heard of Half Step.

If they wanted to go with one on Rainey, the could've at least chose Bangers or Craft Pride or something.

EDIT: Is it just me or is traffic getting worse than normal bad? Like, yes, still bad because summer the time of year, but it feels even worse than last year already. Maybe it's just all the rain.

Have we talked about how Half Step decided a bro bar in Rainey is one of the best bars in America while not even sniffing the top 20 bars in Austin?

I hate when out of state journalists literally list a bar they went to during SXSW one year as "the best" of something.

Anyway, ate at Jacoby's the other night. Good spot, good food, ok drinks.
At least Half-Step has decent cocktails.

Kemuri getting rated as a top restaurant in the country by all these out-of-towners is genuinely one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. I can name five restaurants off the top of my head that blow it away.

EDIT: Is it just me or is traffic getting worse than normal bad? Like, yes, still bad because summer the time of year, but it feels even worse than last year already. Maybe it's just all the rain.

Rain, probably

Speaking of which; you know when you go down parmer heading toward 620 and pass an HEB and shortly after that a Whataburger?

I went to grab some groceries at HEB and it took me 45-60 mins to get from that whataburger to heb. i would have saved a lot of time simply walking in the rain to and from the store.

Zoe

Rain, probably

Speaking of which; you know when you go down parmer heading toward 620 and pass an HEB and shortly after that a Whataburger?

I went to grab some groceries at HEB and it took me 45-60 mins to get from that whataburger to heb. i would have saved a lot of time simply walking in the rain to and from the store.

Yeah, the lights at McNeil and at Tamayo were a pain in the ass yesterday. Funny enough, Anderson Mill was perfectly fine.

Traffic is getting worse each summer though. Living NNW, I no longer feel a drop-off when UT is out--only when the school districts are out.

Timeaisis

Parmer was awwwful yesterday. Lights were out from McNeil all the way to Mopac, if I recall. So, rain to blame there, obviously.

But also, just in general feels worse. I don't feel the dropoff from UT summer, either. It used to be like "ahhh", but now it's basically the same.

Zoe

ROT Rally alert! Avoid downtown and any scenic routes.

Man, I'm getting sick of this intermittent rain. If it rains today I'm going to be so pissed. I need to finish de-weeding my yard :(

If it rains today I'm going to be so pissed.

image.php

Meier

I don't listen to the radio much these days as my wife and I have moved to listening to the Crooked Media podcasts regularly for our commutes. Just found out the other day that 103.1 iheartaustin became a Spanish language channel. Gutted. It had fallen off a bit from when it first launched but it was a really solid channel and nice to have another option from 101X and KGSR.

kgtrep

I don't listen to the radio much these days as my wife and I have moved to listening to the Crooked Media podcasts regularly for our commutes. Just found out the other day that 103.1 iheartaustin became a Spanish language channel. Gutted. It had fallen off a bit from when it first launched but it was a really solid channel and nice to have another option from 101X and KGSR.

I feel for you. It was my go-to station for alternative music.

Austin radio is so bad now that I've resorted, for the first time, to signing up for SiriusXM. There was an awesome promotion for a two month free trial and then $25 for 6 months after that. Been a life saver.

I'm going to Port Aransas for the weekend. Anyone have any suggestions? Going to mostly eat at the place I'm renting but want to take the kids to an outing or two

Meier

Austin radio is so bad now that I've resorted, for the first time, to signing up for SiriusXM. There was an awesome promotion for a two month free trial and then $25 for 6 months after that. Been a life saver.

I had SiriusXM after getting a car and was pretty impressed with it. Never felt entirely compelled to sign up for it after due to the price being high outside of those sorts of special deals, but it's a great value at that price.

Zoe

You guys still listen to the radio? I just have Google Music on all the time.

I still listen to the Bobby Bones Show.

I had SiriusXM after getting a car and was pretty impressed with it. Never felt entirely compelled to sign up for it after due to the price being high outside of those sorts of special deals, but it's a great value at that price.

Check back periodically. I had a one month trial on my car when i bought it in November of '11. Up until an email hit me 3 weeks ago with this new offer, I had not touched it either.

Meier

I still listen to the Bobby Bones Show.

I can't. I tried after he switched because I enjoyed his show on KIIS and listened until 10:00 AM every day but country music (at least what's on the radio) is just so fucking atrocious that I want to die. They also at the time had totally neutered LB. It seems like they've let him wild out a little more over time though.

Vice

If you call and make a bit of a stink about you can get that promo price indefinitely. Parents are going on three years strong on that promotion for Sirius.

Zoe

I can't. I tried after he switched because I enjoyed his show on KIIS and listened until 10:00 AM every day but country music (at least what's on the radio) is just so fucking atrocious that I want to die. They also at the time had totally neutered LB. It seems like they've let him wild out a little more over time though.
I was gonna jump ship, but they finally came around. There was actually one point when LB officially complained about his lack of involvement, and I think that was the turning point. While I'm still not happy about the song:talk ratio, it's improved quite a bit.

Christ, guys. In the 9 years I've been in Austin, I have never been more allergic to bugs and bites. My legs are covered with bites as are my.hips and now up my sides.

Meier

I was gonna jump ship, but they finally came around. There was actually one point when LB officially complained about his lack of involvement, and I think that was the turning point. While I'm still not happy about the song:talk ratio, it's improved quite a bit.

We just switched to listening to Pod Save America or Lovett or Leave It during our work commutes and more or less never listen to the radio during them. If none available, I stick with good ol Jason and Deb in the mornings while in the car and then music in the afternoons (generally streaming).

For being the Live Music Capital of the World, atx is the Worst Radio Capital of the World.

Any local stations that aren't KUT-related are crap, man. I do love KUT though.

Texas Standard best radio show.
So happy Laura Rice is a big part of that great program, I remember when she was the backup morning host on KUT.

Also, I'm officially no longer a downtown Austinite and have since returned to the east side. It feels good to be back amongst the hipsters.

Thought about going but wound up doing my usual Volstead+Hotel Vegas partying.

How was Port A? Two buddies and I went to South Padre over the weekend and had an absolute blast.

It was pretty bad. I got a severe vibrio infection in the water and both my legs looked like they were destroyed by an animal (am left with permanent scars too). Doctor had me on antibiotics for two weeks and was as sick just as long. This is the second time I have experienced this in the two times I have visited in 7 years . Bacterial levels were declared safe levels too. My kids were fine and wife is pregnant so she didnt go into the water (thank goodness).

Beaches here are not for me. Nasty stuff and I wouldnt wish it on my greatest enemy.

-NeoTB1-

Christ, guys. In the 9 years I've been in Austin, I have never been more allergic to bugs and bites. My legs are covered with bites as are my.hips and now up my sides.

Same. Ants and wolf spiders especially have been INSANE this year. I mean, I live on several hundred acres outside Salado, so it kinda comes with the territory. But I have never had so many bites from ants in my life. Which kinda sucks, because I happen to have a mild allergy to them.

Sudden drop in temperature was nice, even if I hate cloudy weather.

It was pretty bad. I got a severe vibrio infection in the water and both my legs looked like they were destroyed by an animal (am left with permanent scars too). Doctor had me on antibiotics for two weeks and was as sick just as long. This is the second time I have experienced this in the two times I have visited in 7 years . Bacterial levels were declared safe levels too. My kids were fine and wife is pregnant so she didnt go into the water (thank goodness).

Beaches here are not for me. Nasty stuff and I wouldnt wish it on my greatest enemy.
This is horrible to hear.

Servbot24

Banned
My brother is visiting Austin for the first time in a few weeks; what would you consider to be essential sights / activities in a three day stay? I'm pretty out of touch with my own city I'm afraid (other than concert going and nothing caught my eye at that time)

My brother is visiting Austin for the first time in a few weeks; what would you consider to be essential sights / activities in a three day stay? I'm pretty out of touch with my own city I'm afraid (other than concert going and nothing caught my eye at that time)

I mean if i were hosting someone I would hit up

Dragons lair
Cafe medici or Jo's and soak in downtown
Comedy Show
A show at the long center?
Torchys on the drag
Drive down 360
Alamo Drafthouse
Pinball
Adelberts or 4th Tap for beer brewerys
Get lost on east 5th Street (other side of i35 from where Congress is. Fair Market area)

Mozart's Coffee on the river
South Congress Cafe for breakfast, then walk down SoCo itself
Zilker Park (if it's too cold for the Springs)
Go up the drag, see UT, grab a bite to eat

I hate our species. I legitimately need gas for my car and that stupid panic everyone fell for yesterday means that I have to figure out how to survive Labor Day weekend on a 1/8th of a tank.

In case anyone else was screwed over for gas yesterday, you can (try) to track which stations have gas using Gas Buddy. No guarantees though.

I hate our species. I legitimately need gas for my car and that stupid panic everyone fell for yesterday means that I have to figure out how to survive Labor Day weekend on a 1/8th of a tank.

In case anyone else was screwed over for gas yesterday, you can (try) to track which stations have gas using Gas Buddy. No guarantees though.

Yep. I've seen this panic so many times over it's not even funny. Good luck out there.

Meier

That Gas Buddy site is blowing up. Hadn't heard of it until yesterday when my friend in Dallas shared a picture showing the whole area being out.

With that being said, just a reminder that the bus system is actually pretty good in Austin in terms of coverage. The buses don't come often enough or on time generally, but you can get most anywhere on them.

Media

Subbed as I just joined Austin Gaf(Round Rock really).

Been here two days and already love it more than Central Illinois. It is sooooo nice to be in the southwest again. It ain't New Mexico but close enough.

Been here two days and already love it more than Central Illinois. It is sooooo nice to be in the southwest again. It ain't New Mexico but close enough.

Welcome, Media. What brought you this way? Work, family etc

Servbot24

Banned

Fwiw we went to Bangers (first time for me - seemed quite good though I had to get the vegan sausage), Stubbs, Torchys, Alamo Drafthouse and La Fogata (in San Antonio). Also checked out the Alamo, Riverwalk, Greenbelt and were lucky enough to get a Thee Oh Sees concert while they were here.

Welcome! :)

Hi guys.

Anybody went to Austin City Limits this weekend? I'm going next week but wanted to know what changed regarding security after last week's event but haven't found any definitive answer.

Thanks in advance, AustinGAF.

kidko

Hi guys.

Anybody went to Austin City Limits this weekend? I'm going next week but wanted to know what changed regarding security after last week's event but haven't found any definitive answer.

Thanks in advance, AustinGAF.

I did! I saw a Destiny flag out there and said hi to my fellow guardians haha

Nothing really changed as far as security procedures except the pat-down is a little more... personal. But they warn you first and make sure you're ok with that.

There are 3 entrances now, the one big one now split into two on either side of the new Barton Springs stage area. The line on the Mopac side is still a bit shorter than the other two

I did! I saw a Destiny flag out there and said hi to my fellow guardians haha

Nothing really changed as far as security procedures except the pat-down is a little more... personal. But they warn you first and make sure you're ok with that.

There are 3 entrances now, the one big one now split into two on either side of the new Barton Springs stage area. The line on the Mopac side is still a bit shorter than the other two

Thanks! Hope everything goes smoothly this weekend as I am going Friday and Sunday.

I salute you fellow guardian!

Media

Welcome, Media. What brought you this way? Work, family etc

Husband's work. He blew out his shoulder so he can't climb wind turbines anymore to they have him a job for more pay remotely monitoring turbines from an office. Yay

Fwiw we went to Bangers (first time for me - seemed quite good though I had to get the vegan sausage), Stubbs, Torchys, Alamo Drafthouse and La Fogata (in San Antonio). Also checked out the Alamo, Riverwalk, Greenbelt and were lucky enough to get a Thee Oh Sees concert while they were here.

Welcome! :)
Thanks!

Timeaisis

Welcome, Media!

I got into a debate about what constitutes North and South Austin at work today. It was amusing, seeing as this person lives all the way down on William Canon and basically considers everything north of the river to be up north austin lmao. Ya'll south Austinites are a weird bunch.

Change of topic, but anyone got any good record shop suggestions? I've been getting into collecting, and looking for places to frequent. Breakaway has been a pretty good spot the past few weeks, and Waterloo is too out of the way for me, and was hit or miss for me the past few times I've been.

Welcome, Media!

I got into a debate about what constitutes North and South Austin at work today. It was amusing, seeing as this person lives all the way down on William Canon and basically considers everything north of the river to be up north austin lmao. Ya'll south Austinites are a weird bunch..

That's funny because I consider everything South of the river to be San Antonio so...

Change of topic, but anyone got any good record shop suggestions? I've been getting into collecting, and looking for places to frequent. Breakaway has been a pretty good spot the past few weeks, and Waterloo is too out of the way for me, and was hit or miss for me the past few times I've been

My dude hear me out. If you haven't been on N W loop near 2222, you've missed out a huge part of austin imo. There , among so many other beautiful mom and pop shops (including a video rental store!) is Breakaway Records. Still a drive but very very much worth it.

edit: goddamn it i only read waterloo and didnt see breakway in your post. i dont know anything closer.

Allergies have been the worst this year since I’ve moved here ten years ago.

Daughter has been coughing chronically for 7 weeks now and doctors reduce it to allergies. Is this shit real life? I may have someone come test our house for allergins

Zoe

Yeah, it's been a bad year for me too. I really wanted to stop my allergy shots, but I'm not sure that's a good idea yet :

Servbot24

Banned
Welcome, Media!

I got into a debate about what constitutes North and South Austin at work today. It was amusing, seeing as this person lives all the way down on William Canon and basically considers everything north of the river to be up north austin lmao. Ya'll south Austinites are a weird bunch.

Imo south of the river is South Austin, downtown/UT is its own thing, and north of Hyde Park is North Austin. I live by the Domain :p

Top Bottom