• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

longdi

Banned
Another gimmick universe goes away. This tournament arc is Goku vs Jiren, get over with it Toriyama.

Freeza has done shit, if he gets eliminated when Jiren goes on a spree, that is so lame on his character.

I bet the ending will have Vegeta learning UI attack at the 8 min mark, fuses with Goku and Vegito for a combined UI battle with Jiren. They will probably try to take Jiren out with them, but at the last moment pull off the potaro earrings and 1 of them is on stage. Kinda cheating.

tkscz

What a bull crap way of
knocking Piccolo off. Where the fuck was Gohan? Why didn't Goku use IT to save him?

longdi

Banned
The writers better revisit why it was mentioned U7 is the 2nd weakest, building up tension that never came to fruition. As it stands, ToP looks lamer than those world tournaments of DB past. The best fighters from other universes are mainly gimmicks besides Hit, Kefla, Jiren and Toppo..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Another gimmick universe goes away. This tournament arc is Goku vs Jiren, get over with it Toriyama.

Freeza has done shit, if he gets eliminated when Jiren goes on a spree, that is so lame on his character.

I bet the ending will have Vegeta learning UI attack at the 8 min mark, fuses with Goku and Vegito for a combined UI battle with Jiren. They will probably try to take Jiren out with them, but at the last moment pull off the potaro earrings and 1 of them is on stage. Kinda cheating.
Vegetto isn't happening. Let it go.

We need a filler episode with these guys

pkfxzdabh4301.jpg

I really wish Goku would have gotten knocked out. As it stands the battle royale never really panned out at all and its partially because no major opponents are allowed to be beaten by anyone other than Goku.

Gohan and Vegeta have done so little in this tournament ot is frustrating as hell. Master Roshi got more action.

Rising_Hei

I really wish Goku would have gotten knocked out. As it stands the battle royale never really panned out at all and its partially because no major opponents are allowed to be beaten by anyone other than Goku.

Gohan and Vegeta have done so little in this tournament ot is frustrating as hell. Master Roshi got more action.

Vegeta and Gohan have been doing allright (they knocked out many opponents and have been really smart); they just didn't get too much attention... but that's going to change

pramod

Banned
The longer this drags on the more I'm starting to dislike this arc. Unless something really truly epic happens I already feel like it's probably one of the worst arcs ever in DBZ. So much buildup and not enough payoff.

LordOfChaos

This arc shows how villainous our DBZ heroes are.

Goku brought forward the apocalypse, dont give a shit about resurrecting the erased Universes, showed no remorse in Buu'ing a few universes. Gohan straight up wants to kill off the whole namekian race!

No better than Freeza or Cell.

Only Vegeta showed some humanity. Even Freeza is keeping his hands clean so far.

Manga Jiren seems to have shown the most consideration so far. Erasing one universe to save another is a net zero in morality, or could be worse if the erased universe has more people. No one else seems to have thought this, 17 came the closest with his nihilism in the show but it wasn't as clear.

So far the manga is making Jiren a much kinder character than the show has shown.

tkscz

Why did they make the anime to go ahead of the manga?

Toriyama does everything for both, the manga just gets details that the anime does not. For example if you read the manga, you know that Jiren wants to wish for something, but it may not be a "noble" wish. Not sure if that's in the anime (I missed the episode where Jiren and Goku first fight).

Toriyama does everything for both, the manga just gets details that the anime does not. For example if you read the manga, you know that Jiren wants to wish for something, but it may not be a "noble" wish. Not sure if that's in the anime (I missed the episode where Jiren and Goku first fight).

It isn't. Jiren has ZERO characterization in the anime. The manga versions of both Jiren and Toppo are far better. Not to mention Toppo isn't all justice, justice, justice .... though he does fight dirty.

It isn't. Jiren has ZERO characterization in the anime. The manga versions of both Jiren and Toppo are far better. Not to mention Toppo isn't all justice, justice, justice .... though he does fight dirty.

yeah its a weird dynamic, where things in the manga are acknowledged even though it was only in the anime.

It's just a mess tbh.

Future trunks fucked everything up worse than we originally had imagined. Now we have 2 super timelines

I would prefer this as an explanation actually. Put to rest all the "but in the manga..." and "but in the anime" nonsense. Unless the latest scans are flashbacks (or illusions), the manga is taking a VERY different direction for ToP

NeonZ

It was mentioned in the special that Jiren was fighting for a specific wish, although the anime gave no hints at all regarding what it was unlike the manga.

Roshi only really had two episodes focused on him. Now, they were among the best in the tournament and one of the rare ones with character focus after the tournament itself started, which is why people remember him, but not all the nobodies beaten by Vegeta and Gohan.

celsowmbr

Banned
That thing looks like it's fucks some shit up for universe 7. Was that 17 being knocked off? And Frieza is fighting? This thing must be crazy.

Yes, this thing, Arinaza I think is the name, appears to be the Dragon Ball version of Jekyll & Hide. And His power is some what related with the purple light

Atrus

Gold Member
Good episode for Gohan with an interesting preview set up for the next one, though I hope Goku isn't going to be the one to end it with Ultra-instinct like he did with Kefla. With only 3 U11 warriors, we can start to pair off fighters. Goku, Vegeta, Freiza and Gohan get by and I'm betting on 17 staying as well. I cannot see 17 going out before 18 unless they ring out together.

longdi

Banned
Good action this episode, merged robots > sailor girls joke.

Next episode looks good too, with combined battle even freeza joins in!
I wonder how long Arinaza will last, 1 episode? lol. Better get the Team Goku vs Team Jiren on asap.

btw what is the difference between manga jiren and anime?

KOMANI

KOMANI
Good action this episode, merged robots > sailor girls joke.

Next episode looks good too, with combined battle even freeza joins in!
I wonder how long Arinaza will last, 1 episode? lol. Better get the Team Goku vs Team Jiren on asap.

btw what is the difference between manga jiren and anime?
Manga Jiren is more fleshed out. Reluctant to join until he learns about the reward (making a super dragon ball wish). He also tells his universe that he will abandon the tourny at any point if hos world is in trouble.

Dunki

Manga Jiren is more fleshed out. Reluctant to join until he learns about the reward (making a super dragon ball wish). He also tells his universe that he will abandon the tourny at any point if hos world is in trouble.

The last part makes no sense though since they will be erased anyway^^

Good episode, though even more hopeful for the next (especially for Gohan to manage something....more.), as this whole little streak is giving me some nostalgic vibes from The World's Strongest.

Espada

I did NOT expect THAT to happen with U3. The robot merging? Sure, but man it looks like things get real in the next episode. It looks like everyone from U7 is fighting.

NeonZ

I did NOT expect THAT to happen with U3. The robot merging? Sure, but man it looks like things get real in the next episode. It looks like everyone from U7 is fighting.

Well, it's about time a hyped fighter who isn't Jiren actually lives up to the hype after the disappointment that U2 and U4 were.

Espada

Well, it's about time a hyped fighter who isn't Jiren actually lives up to the hype after the disappointment that U2 and U4 were.

Yeah, it feels weird to finally have a threat we haven't seen coming a mile away. Good times! There quite a few rough moments in that episode, at least when it came to animation. Gohan and Vegeta had some really ugly still frames.

NeonZ

The site really pushes the idea that it's a "Dragonball" movie, rather than specifically a "Z" or "Super" movie, with the way it lists the DB and Z movies together there. I wonder if we might get the anime rebranding by the time this movie airs?

zeioIIDX

English Toei article excerpt I saw on Reddit:

The team behind the new film will be making intensive efforts to ensure that the scale and the quality is the best of the series. Akira Toriyama, the original author of Dragon Ball, will lead the original story, screenplay, and character design.

The theme for this remarkable new film will be “Saiyan”, the strongest race in the universe. Since “Battle of the Gods”, Goku has undergone new forms from Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue to other evolved forms that have gone up against many invincible warriors from multiple universes. This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.

KOMANI

KOMANI
At least gohan looked like gohan in this. I like how future gohan looks, and resurrection F gohan looks like an understandable evolution, but gohan hasn’t looked like gohan since the Buu saga until super’s last episode.

kunonabi

At least gohan looked like gohan in this. I like how future gohan looks, and resurrection F gohan looks like an understandable evolution, but gohan hasn’t looked like gohan since the Buu saga until super’s last episode.

I dont know Super Gohan still looks kind of off to me. The larger frame and shorter hair doesn't really work for him.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I dont know Super Gohan still looks kind of off to me. The larger frame and shorter hair doesn't really work for him.

i agree about the hair. it's as if they gave him vegeta's gt hair but shorter. They've given gohan's Z haircut to tarble and to cabba (i'm sorry if i misspelled their names, i have a cold and that's given me an excuse to be lazy).

it's weird, future trunk's arc gohan looks more like goku's kid than any other version. i really dig that look the best. the hair is reminiscent of goku's hair, just shorter, and he's as buff.

It could either be an animation/artist mistake, but...
given the hairstyle, that definitely looks like Goku is in SSJ2B

wmDGdNp.png

Again, it could be the animation team having a momentary brain fart.

Atrus

Gold Member
Last prediction with Freiza, Goku, Vegita, Gohan and 17 staying turned out to be true. I figure Vegita and Goku will go after Jiren in the background while Gohan takes on Toppo and 17 takes on Dyspo. Freiza will go back to doing nothing unless Dyspo or Toppo are that much better than their opponents.

I enjoyed this episode with Aniraza, especizlly with the warp punches, but now it goes toward the battles we've long waited for.

Top Bottom