• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Disney buy Warner Brothers?

tanooki27

they could. they could even rent me out for a month of two. does bob iger need a shoeshine? or maybe a well-intentioned amateur haircut.

JordanN

Banned
Bugs refuses to share the spotlight with the rat.

ZbVoGnd.jpg

for you young-uns, Warner had a contract the two characters had to have equal air time

Why not? Then we’ll have the Mickey, Bugs Bunny, and Muppets Crossover Cinematic Universe that I don’t think planet Earth is ready for.

tkscz

No. Time-Warner is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than Fox. Warner Bros. Entertainment is only a small part of what they own. AT&T were going to try for 108 billion, but that fell through (and would've been a merger than a straight buy out). I doubt Disney wants to shell out that kind of cash when they can buy up smaller competition for much cheaper. Right now Time-Warner is sitting at third biggest entertainment/communication company in the US, with Disney and second at Comcast being the largest.

IpsoFacto

I don't think so. I can see Disney buying some assets from Comcast / Time Warner, but the whole of Warner Brothers? I doubt it.

tkscz

I don't think so. I can see Disney buying some assets from Comcast / Time Warner, but the whole of Warner Brothers? I doubt it.

Time Warner is the company, Warner Brothers is just their film studios. It's a weird misconception that Comcast owns Time Warner, they do not. Currently, AT&T is trying to buy Time Warner for 108 Billion, but the Supreme Court shot it down for it'll be way too close to a monopoly. If AT&T succeeds, then they'd be bigger than Disney.

JimiNutz

Banned
I really hope not. I certainly don't see it happening any time soon but in 10 or 20 years? Certainly possible.

They have the money to make it happen, but WB has an equally successful history as Disney and I'm doubtful they'll shit on it via a buyout.

samar11

They can, but WB won't let em.

No they cant. They arent even buying Fox with cash, its a mix of cash and stocks. They dont have the money to buy them.

Keep in mind that the fox/disney deal means Fox shareholders/Murdoch gets 25 percent stake in Disney.

samar11

They have the money to make it happen, but WB has an equally successful history as Disney and I'm doubtful they'll shit on it via a buyout.

They do ? How come they are using stocks to purchase Fox, and how come the fox shareholders getting 25% stake in Disney?

theclaw135

Banned
The film / animation catalog is very valuable to Disney. They'd nab Hanna-Barbera's cartoon characters, distribution rights for mega franchises like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings...

I don't see them wanting WB's video game arm. Least of all the controversy magnet Mortal Kombat has always been.

KOMANI

KOMANI
i've been wishing this for years now. I'm unhappy of how TW has treated the loonies, and more recently, the dceu.

i feel the dc animated stuff isn't as strong as it once was, but still miles better than the marvel stuff. And I have been especially unhappy with how much involvement they had with DC as a publisher. But DC has finally found their footing, so I can't complain.

But that's me playing armchair quarterback. As long as the comics are doing good, I'm happy.

Top Bottom