• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Anyone else experience slowdown when walking through huge crop operations? I'm worried I risks a crash every time I harvest my crops. It's even worse during rain.

Also, I've experienced some crops just randomly dying in the middle of a season like they suddenly became off season. Is there a hard limit to the amount of plants you can have in this game?

Vicious

Anyone else experience slowdown when walking through huge crop operations? I'm worried I risks a crash every time I harvest my crops. It's even worse during rain.

Also, I've experienced some crops just randomly dying in the middle of a season like they suddenly became off season. Is there a hard limit to the amount of plants you can have in this game?

They were probably hit by lightning.

sleepnaught

Yeah, have a brief stutter every now and again too. Hopefully, they'll release a patch soon. Would also love it if they would add the option of zooming out like they do on PC. But with he performance issues now, probably not capable .

Teletraan1

Banned
One interesting thing that happened when I tried to get all animals by the end of the first year is I ran out of wood. There were just no more trees anywhere and the seedlings don’t grow in the winter. Ended up needing to buy a few hundred to finish my deluxe barn. Didn’t happen on my steam playthrough because I spaced out my big purchases over two years.

Could have been avoided if i planted trees more aggressively in the first spring

On the default farm I left a small section in the SW part of the map as a forest. Try to not clear cut. I selectively chop down mature trees after they have naturally left seeds or started to sprout new trees around them. Leave those saplings if you can. By next season you have just as many trees if not more. I have never had to plant a non fruit tree and actually have a hard time keeping up with this forest growth and I am sitting at 999 wood in a chest and have every building fully upgraded. Same with grass, once you have silos rather than cutting it all down, stand in a lush part and (single tap) swing your scythe, it will thin and give room for it to grow back to lush in a day or so since it wants to grow in all directions.

Also there should be choppable trees outside of your farm in all directions that grow back every season.

Naar

I don’t know if I’m imaging it, but it seems like there’s usually one or two at the beach every time I go there. Otherwise I just randomly stumble upon them in the farm or when I’m running around to somewhere. It seems like they pop up occasionally outside the entrances to your farm.

They are everywhere. The ones on your farm usually just produce clay or mixed seeds. Out in the world they will often produce artifacts.

Yeah I see them pop all over but was just wondering if there was a place that pops more than others. Either way I got my clay :D

Agentnibs

So I just bought this game on whim without knowing much about it. I've just started the summer season and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm finding it kinda lonely. The NPCs don't say much and I'm not sure how to become friends with them. Kinda stung a little when no one wanted to dance with me at the flower festival! lol

Vicious

So I just bought this game on whim without knowing much about it. I've just started the summer season and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm finding it kinda lonely. The NPCs don't say much and I'm not sure how to become friends with them. Kinda stung a little when no one wanted to dance with me at the flower festival! lol

You can put more effort into it, but if you at least give them gifts they like on their birthdays and do the quests posted outside the shop, you'll starting gaining friendships.

And it's pretty much impossible to not be rejected at the first flower festival.

He used cheats at least for the energy bar, that thing can't get this big by normal gameplay.

And no I am not accusing, he admitted doing so in this thread and even gave an explanation how it works, still very impressive what he has done with the farm.

Yeah that is my cheats save file, I stopped playing my normal file. The cheats turned out to help me design the farm just the way I want it faster.
I was able to afford the
2M Gold Clock
early so I feel less grief from my paths getting over taken by junk stone and wood.

I think I am having a lot more fun with the freedom. This would have taken me until December to get this far without cheats.

I am going to play a lot of Mario soon, and I put 2,000 hours on Xenoblade X so I know I am not going to have time to play Stardew soon so I want to see how far I can get it to a farm lay out.

I love that the time does not pass like Animal crossing I think I'll replay this game a lot.

Maybe marry more villagers to see their plot points.

Zzoram

Ah sorry, I actually meant movement speed in general. Run is really slow.

It's not bad, you get used to it. It helps that you're always stopping along your path to do other stuff, so you only notice the speed if you're bee lining to something far away.

Anoxida

Seems a pretty decent speed. Plus you can get a horse, fix the minecarts, etc.

Eh, it's pretty bad. I had to mod my PC version and make him faster for it to be tolerable. However I kinda wanna play this on handheld. Oh well, I'll probably just end up buying it and get used to it.

Zzoram

Winter Year 1 is a nice break from farming.

I can't find an Earth Crystal to make a mayo machine though. I sold all mine a long time ago and the mines are not being as generous now that I actually want it. I've been accumulating eggs to make mayo with but maybe I should start selling them if I don't find the Earth Crystal soon.

Zzoram

Is the bug weapon 10-20 damage and +2 speed good? I've been using it forever since I found it in a chest fishing. It's 10,000 to buy at adventure guild. Is this a late game weapon?

press Y

Are you tapping the trees all around town? A great spot is all of the trees at the bus stop and north forest

e: also interested in seeing your farm layout love what you are doing with the storage buildings

Yeah I am tapping them but a lot of them are Maple not Oak so it is taking a while to build up my storage full of Kegs

I need to find a good use for Maple Syrup

Mumei

Ah sorry, I actually meant movement speed in general. Run is really slow.

Coffee! Buy a coffee bean at the Traveling Cart (2000g) as soon as you see one. They grow from Spring through Summer, and after the first 10 days give you 4+ new coffee beans every 2 days (which themselves can be replanted for even more production). You can also stick five of them in kegs and make coffee, which gives you a +1 speed boost. You can also stack that boost with Pepper Poppers (made from Hot Peppers and Cheese) for +2 speed, and then that stacks with your horse once you have that.

Is the bug weapon 10-20 damage and +2 speed good? I've been using it forever since I found it in a chest fishing. It's 10,000 to buy at adventure guild. Is this a late game weapon?

Mid-game. Best sword does 60-80, +4 speed; there are also better daggers and hammers though it's obviously a bit apples-to-oranges.

Doorman

Why? Why did I just randomly buy this when I've been trying to put it off? Splatfest and Mario anticipation have done terrible things to my mind I guess.

I've briefly peeked into the thread now and then but I still don't really know the extent of all the mechanics or what's supposed to be good or not, and I don't want to look into guides really. I'm going to try and go into this kind of "pure" and if I do badly, eh so be it. Trying to obsessively min-max stuff seems, to me, counter to the game's initial premise and message.

Zzoram

Yeah I'm not trying to max profits or anything, just trying to build a decent farm with a bit of everything.

Ya, there isn't a point to min maxing. Just do whatever and have fun. The community bundles give you goals to work towards. My only concern is eventually you finish everything and there isn't anything late-late game to work towards, but that's probably still 50+ hours away.

Vicious

Fall Year 2

DMHXiIRUQAA_Qeu.jpg

DMHXsmfUEAE1xXa.jpg

DMHX0V0VwAAyxlX.jpg

DMHX9n4UIAE5OwO.jpg

DMHYED3U8AA-wOZ.jpg

DMHYLXnUIAI_-d2.jpg

I'm in year 2 and havent purchased the
Joja membership
because it was hinted that it would do bad things. Should I get it, or would it have bad consequences?

Vicious

I'm in year 2 and havent purchased the
Joja membership
because it was hinted that it would do bad things. Should I get it, or would it have bad consequences?

Don't buy it.
It replaces the community center with a warehouse. You can still unlock all the same stuff, but you just buy them instead of completing bundles. Plus you don't get the bonus rewards for completing bundles.

xealo

I assumed that but haven't seen her at her desk yet. Just bad luck then?

Marnie's schedule can be a bit iffy, but as a general rule of thumb she "should" be there any day that isn't a Tuesday during daytime.

Tuesdays the ladies in the town has some sort of aerobics class she participates in and the store is closed.

Top Bottom