• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

Balb

I would buy a Wii U if this is a RPG and if it gets localized to U.S.

This will never get localized to the U.S.

As has been said previously in this thread, it was specifically shown in the NA Nintendo Direct. It's coming to the US.

The whole "Persona 5 for the 3DS" seems more and more likely now that Nintendo and Atlus seem to have a really good relationship.

You would think so but Nintendo getting DoA Dimensions didn't land them DoA5 and MGS3 3D (and Snake in Smash Bros.) didn't get them Metal Gear Rising.

NeonZ

Shouldn't they just ask Atlus to make a Wii U SMT instead, and they also do a full FE on Wii U? That would be preferable to me, rather than a collaboration that won't be a serious entry in either series. I'm sure it can be awesome in its own right and I'd play it if that happens if I then have a Wii U, but still. Maybe it's setting the stage for separate titles... That would be rad.

What is a "serious entry" for Fire Emblem though? There are some ties between the games, but it's not like there's a continuous story or anything. As long as this is a SRPG it'll be an entry as "serious" as any other. In fact, it'll be the first console FE since Radiant Dawn, which looked really primited in some aspects and had a really weird pacing.

I don't know much about SMT, but something like this might actually convince me to get the next game in the series to prepare for this game and that might be part of the effect they want too...

vareon

As soon as this game gets announced for a localization, I'm bending over and giving Nintendo 350.00.

This was in all directs, it's even posted in NintendoUK's Youtube. Mother 2, however, was only mentioned in JP direct. I think that gives some perspective.

Herla

This game totally makes sense, both franchises changed art direction in the end.

So, as a MegaTen fan I'd have to buy a Vita, a 3DS AND a WiiU? Yeah, fuck that.

Ok I'm getting a Wii U.

And THIS wasn't Famitsu's scoop?

OH YES HITOSHURA HOW'VE YOU BEEN IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU AGAIN

Instant kill magic meets crit chance and permadeath!

Weapon triangle for physical attacks, then the Bufu > Agi > Zan > Zio > Bufu square for magic attacks.

Is the shot at 0:28 from Awakening?

Credo

24-RFEP01-135.jpg

Ragnell Ike + Falchion Marth vs. Demifiend?

Yes, I believe I'll take it. THANK YOU FOR RESTORING FAITH, NINTENDO!
although I have no idea what this actually is yet!

CSX

Sales for SMT IV and future SMT games will go off the charts.

It's time to fuse Marth and Ike to blue hair Metatron FUKKK YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

Beth Cyra

This game totally makes sense, both franchises changed art direction in the end.

So, as a MegaTen fan I'd have to buy a Vita, a 3DS AND a WiiU? Yeah, fuck that.
What MegaTen title has been announced for Vita? The only Atlus RPGS I know of is P4.

FluxWaveZ

Which comments are you talking about?

This might not be what Dantis is talking about, but Hashino explicitly stated that Catherine was developed as a testbed for P5. He said they dropped Gamebryo to use their own internally developed engine for the title, presumably based on Gamebryo.

Heck, the game was first announced in Dengeki PlayStation on March 24th, 2010.

EVOL 100%

This might not be what Dantis is talking about, but Hashino explicitly stated that Catherine was developed as a testbed for P5. He said they dropped Gamebryo to use their own internally developed engine for the title, presumably based on Gamebryo.

Heck, the game was first announced in Dengeki PlayStation on March 24th, 2010.

There's no reason for them to not be able to use their new engine on the Wii U.

I can't see them going Nintendo exclusive though, I can't think of any plausible reasons that would push them towards that.

Dammit, so I guess I'm buying a WiiU or hopefully someone actually gets one for my fiance and I from our Wedding Registry. Either way I will have a WiiU by the time this game comes out and will certainly be purchasing this game Day 1. Fighting game, SRPG, ARPG, I honestly don't care. I need it! I want it! NOW!

There's no reason for them to not be able to use their new engine on the Wii U.

I can't see them going Nintendo exclusive though, I can't think of any plausible reasons that would push them towards that.

Funding? Because of MegaTen x Fire Emblem ? Well most likely it will not be, won't be surprise if wii u is the lead platform or have some extra because of their relationship with Nintendo now.

Who will Nintendo partner with next?

KingJ2002

glad nintendo is collaborating with other teams... but honestly... they should release a fire emblem Wii U title first before showing off a cross title.

EVOL 100%

Funding? Because of MegaTen x Fire Emblem ? Well most likely it will not be, won't be surprise if wii u is the lead platform or have some extra because of their relationship with Nintendo now.

Who will Nintendo partner with next?

Persona sells like hotcakes, and there wasn't anything that indicates that Atlus is going under financial troubles right now.

SMT X FE will be more of a one thing imo but we'll have to see.

I think it's safe to say that P5 will be out on the Wii U too though, yeah.

I know, but that was in reply to the 3DS, not the Wii U. My stance is Persona 5 is not going to be on the 3DS.

Oh right, sorry. Yeah, there's no chance in hell that P5 is coming out on the 3DS, at least not as the leading platform. Maybe a downport, is the most what one could hope for.

Beth Cyra

I, and others, call all of them MegaTen, if we followed the japanese titles there wouldn't be that many "MegaTen fans" in the West.
Regardless of using the term wrongly I still don't understand the Vita problem. It has a single port while the other two have unique SMT content. So maybe if Vita gets something announced there could be an issue, but given Next Gen and Vita tanking why would you just assume this?

mollipen

Don't like this one bit.

Obviously I love SMT. My first FE has been Awakening, and I really, really like the game. However, I have absolutely no desire to see the two worlds cross over. Japan loves these cross-over games, but most of the time, I think they're stupid. Beyond figuring games, I always end up feeling like I'd rather have a new chapter of whatever games are being crossed over, instead of some ridiculous fan service project.

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will not own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.

Dantis

I just had a thought: NichM confirmed that Kaneko still works at Atlus. Kaneko hasn't worked on anything since Strange Journey, and hasn't worked on a console game since Raidou 2.

Is this Kaneko's return to console games?

GSR

Well, that came out of nowhere. I'm not too familiar with MegaTen besides what I've gotten through internet osmosis, but I'm always interested in new FE.

Though at first I read the title as "Musou x Fire Emblem" and I was like, "it never ends".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Don't like this one bit.

Obviously I love SMT. My first FE has been Awakening, and I really, really like the game. However, I have absolutely no desire to see the two worlds cross over. Japan loves these cross-over games, but most of the time, I think they're stupid. Beyond figuring games, I always end up feeling like I'd rather have a new chapter if whatever games are being crossed over, instead of some ridiculous fan service project.

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will now own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.
You of all people being against this surprises me.

7Th

I'm thinking Atlus are putting MegaTen titles on Nintendo platforms and Persona on Sony.

So much desesperation. I can even see your avatar sweating.

Can't wait for the SALT.

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will not own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.

But you were fine with them putting their games exclusively on Sony systems?
Besides, Persona 5 will most likely be 3DS exclusive.

Fisico

Regardless of using the term wrongly I still don't understand the Vita problem. It has a single port while the other two have unique SMT content. So maybe if Vita gets something announced there could be an issue, but given Next Gen and Vita tanking why would you just assume this?

Not exactly a "port" (and not a full fledge remake either), but as it was mentionned in the persona thread, you can play the entire series on Vita, and this is why some are speculating Persona 5 will be PS3/Vita;

I would be totaly okay with this.

mollipen

You of all people being against this surprises me.

I just really dislike the idea of crossovers for worlds like these. It makes absolutely no sense, and again, I tend to feel they're more about fan service than making good games (even if I'm wrong in having that impression).

Herla

Because I'm a completionist and, more importantly, because the Vita is region free. P4G might be the only new content I'd be able to "consume" for...a very long time. We didn't even get Strange Journey, we'd be lucky to get Soul Hackers in 2014 and who knows about SMT4 and this..."thing".

iavi

The whole "Persona 5 for the 3DS" seems more and more likely now that Nintendo and Atlus seem to have a really good relationship.

No, it doesn't. Mainline SMT has been on ninty since the DS with strange journey. Hasn't stopped Persona from being their Sony (and Microsoft, to a little extent) franchise. Atlus doesn't stick all their eggs in one basket.

P90

This is unreal. The WiiU is really starting to blaze some awesome new trails. Now I just need a Persona 5 (WiiU) and Devil Survivor 3 (3DS) announcement.

Top Bottom