• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Aww yiss. Entertainment Weekly has revealed some new cast members for Book 2.

Aubrey Plaza is playing Korra's cousin Eska.

Aaron Himelstein will be playing Korra's other cousin Desna.

Adrian LaTourelle will voice Korra's uncle Unalaq.

Tonraq, Korra's dad, will be played by James Remar.

Lisa Edelstein is playing Tenzin's sister Kya.

And finally, John Michael Higgins will be playing the businessman Varrick.

In my opinion, they really nailed it with Varrick and Eska. I'll have to wait and see how the others do.

Link: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/10/legend-of-korra-book-2-aubrey-plaza-james-remar-lisa-edelstein/
The only name that immediately rings a bell is Lisa Edelstein, she was Cuddy from House right?

The only name that immediately rings a bell is Lisa Edelstein, she was Cuddy from House right?

Yes. I had to look up who Aubrey Plaza was, because I only know her as that one chick from Parks and Rec, but I feel she's perfect for the role of Korra's cousin. Same for Varrick's VA.

:/ No thank you. Avatar's animation and production values are fantastic as is and don't need any updating.

Why is it so hard to just let a thing be what it is?

Hey, no one would force you to watch it, man. As a person who re-watches Avatar quite often, I'd love it if it weren't blurry and it actually occupied my entire TV screen. Normally a Blu-Ray release would suffice, but with the amount of work it would take (according to the internet), I don't see it happening. And honestly, a "remake" of ATLA would be preferable to Nickelodeon diluting the Avatar universe with more and more seasons and sequels.

I was about to say the same damn thing at another post up there. C'mon people move on! The avatar team has!

I guess the two sequel comics, the planned TV movie that fell through, and the sequel-series-that-was-supposed-to-be-12-episodes-long-but-now-has-four-seasons-and-possibly-a-movie never happened? Yeah, they severed those ties real good. *eye roll*

How does it sound? I'm kind of a snob for sound. I'm talking full DTS-HD MA if you've got the setup for it.

Max Nicholson in his review on IGN:

The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio is also top notch, with an even balance of clear dialogue, dynamic sound FX and, of course, a unique jazz and Eastern-influenced score.

Can't wait to pick this up. Really enjoyed Book One.

Tuck

:O They're showing the first episode on Friday at Comic-con!

PLEASE tell me there is a stream for the Comic-con panel!

maharg

idspispopd
Hey, no one would force you to watch it, man. As a person who re-watches Avatar quite often, I'd love it if it weren't blurry and it actually occupied my entire TV screen. Normally a Blu-Ray release would suffice, but with the amount of work it would take (according to the internet), I don't see it happening. And honestly, a "remake" of ATLA would be preferable to Nickelodeon diluting the Avatar universe with more and more seasons and sequels.

Re. "filling your screen" I'm gonna point you at this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624801

Avatar was framed for 4:3. It's not wasting any of your precious pixels.

As for the idea that changing what already exists and is already one of the best animated tv shows ever made (as if any changes are likely to be for the better) is somehow better than sequels you can just ignore? No. Just no.

Re. "filling your screen" I'm gonna point you at this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624801

Avatar was framed for 4:3. It's not wasting any of your precious pixels.

Unless I've missed something, I'm not quite sure how that thread applies to the situation at hand. This is what Avatar looks like on my TV. Notice all of the wasted pixels! Now I'll be the first to admit that that's a gigantic "first world problem." Though if it weren't worth addressing, I doubt we'd get as many Blu-Ray releases of old movies and TV shows as we do.

As for the idea that changing what already exists and is already one of the best animated tv shows ever made (as if any changes are likely to be for the better) is somehow better than sequels you can just ignore? No. Just no.

I should clear something up here, as I think my reference to the Rebuild of Evangelion distorted what I was really trying to say (in retrospect, I should have chosen a better example, but I didn't because I got all hung up on imagining what Hideaki Anno would name each season of Avatar). I'm not asking for three highly-condensed Avatar movies. I'm not asking for story alterations. I simply want the same Avatar: The Last Airbender that I've watched and loved several times, but with artwork and animation on par with what we saw in The Legend of Korra. If you're not down with that, okay, that's fine. I just don't understand why you seem to be getting defensive over a hypothetical "remake" that probably won't ever exist.

And it's a bit hypocritical of you to say that I could just "ignore the sequels" when you could just as easily ignore a remake of Avatar. It's not like the original show would be somehow diminished if an updated version were to be made.

maharg

idspispopd
Unless I've missed something, I'm not quite sure how that thread applies to the situation at hand. This is what Avatar looks like on my TV. Notice all of the wasted pixels! Now I'll be the first to admit that that's a gigantic "first world problem." Though if it weren't worth addressing, I doubt we'd get as many Blu-Ray releases of old movies and TV shows as we do.

You know what's amazing though? That's exactly what it's looked like on every single TV since it came out! You're not missing anything and you're not losing any value. The pixels aren't wasted, they're not relevant.

And it's a bit hypocritical of you to say that I could just "ignore the sequels" when you could just as easily ignore a remake of Avatar. It's not like the original show would be somehow diminished if an updated version were to be made.

Tell that to Star Wars.

You know what's amazing though? That's exactly what it's looked like on every single TV since it came out! You're not missing anything and you're not losing any value. The pixels aren't wasted, they're not relevant.

Tell that to Star Wars.

I have a response but I'm not gonna type it out. This is a pretty dumb topic to butt heads over. I'm just gonna agree to disagree. Back to your regularly scheduled Korra posts, everybody!

...So how about that upcoming Korra comic-con panel? I hope Book 2 has a lesser emphasis on fighting! Really looking forward to the artbook for season 1! etc.

cdkee

Banned
Can't believe they're showing the entire first episode.

I'm hoping that they put it up on Nick.com like they did for season 1...better to have a HD episode going around than messy cam footage. Nick was pretty good about it last year even, they would put each episode on their site on the following day IIRC.

I'm hoping that they put it up on Nick.com like they did for season 1...better to have a HD episode going around than messy cam footage. Nick was pretty good about it last year even, they would put each episode on their site on the following day IIRC.

Wasn't the first episode of season one leaked? I thought someone got the password to a press site or something.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
If they're showing off the first episode soon, does that mean the second series isnt far off?

Bumping for those who aren't subscribed to the BOOK Two hype thread. http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/walking-dead-legend-korra-steven-yeun/
Fans of The Walking Dead and Legend of Korra rejoice: Steven Yeun, known to fans of the AMC horror show as Glenn, will be joining the voice cast of the Nickelodeon animated series as Wan, the very first Avatar in existence. Yeun’s character will appear in two episodes titled “Beginnings 1 & 2″ during the second season — aka Book 2: Spirits — debuting later this year.
Yeah for the origin of the first Avatar
Edit: His Look
LegendofKorra_Wan_SteveYeun-660x371.jpg

JoeFu

Banned
Hype for Book 2 despite me not liking Book 1 very much. Hopefully since they know they have more seasons signed on they'll actually develop characters!

I love the rich history of the universe, so showing us the original avatar is freaking awesome.

Of course it doesn't, how it's consistently presented in Korra does. It's akin to the Plinkett review of StarWars Episode I when talking about how slow burn politics and political discourse made for poor childrens entertainment, and LoK has that in spades over AtlA.

There's nothing in the background about politics in LoK, Politics is to LoK as the 100 year war is to AtlA, it's the reason for everything that happens. Amon and his brother are entirely political, where as the Firelord is not. Amon is a political terrorist and his brother is a council member and all of the events of the show are because of their political maneuverings. Korra wouldn't be in Republic city if it wasn't for Amon fermenting the equalizer movement.
What's in the background is the affect of bender's being oppressive against non-benders in relation to the politics. We never see any of this stuff stuff that Amon and Tarrlok are fighting for and against, so it's in the background. It's consistently portrayed poorly in LoK, while it's treated much more seriously in ATLA.

Again this comes down to portrayal. Blood bending is portrayed as even more disturbing in LoK than it was in AtlA and has a greater emphasis in the story than Blood Bending did after its introduction in AtlA. They never would have shown a human being contorting in AtlA the way Aang was when he confronted Amon's father. The intended effect was to make it seem like Aang was seconds away from being torn apart, which is why he entered the Avatar state. We never see blood bending pushed that far in AtlA.
This obviously does not show the contortions but it's the closest I could get. Even how Toff is blood bent, the way her head is (or rather isn't) manipulated as she hands over the keys is pretty unsettling.

Also when you mention genocide, it's coming from a line from the most 2 dimensional villain evil mc badguy in the series. Amon has more to him than the Firelord ever did and we actually see Amon carryign trough on his own genocide, where as it's only mentioned in AtlA once or twice amid other things. So again how things are presented is important. And yeah I like the bloodline plot, but it was one of many focuses of the show, and I wasn't arguing that AtlA didn't end up having a lot of political threads in it.
They showed a human being contorted as much as Hama was by Katara. It's not any darker.

What are you talking about? Genocide of the airbenders is what the entirety of ATLA started upon. Ozai planning to wipe out the Earthbenders is an addition to that. Amon isn't any more three dimensional than Ozai or Sozin was.

How do you define maturity beyond 'I like these characters more, ergo'?

Because I'm struggling to see it. AtlA relied on the tired trope of having a character acting out like a child for the most immature of reasons (not that we can blame them completely, they were like 12). Then of course the rest of the group would ostracize them for a completely obvious misunderstanding and there would be a forced and predictable reconciliation.

This was like, at least, -a third- of the entire series and it got really old by the end. I certainly wouldn't call that maturity.

And how refreshing was it to see Asami Sato not wring her hands or monologue or spend episodes being excessive moody over her father? It was great when she simply said 'I love you dad' and defied the trope all the way through despite her problems with Mako (that were likewise not over emphasized). That's maturity. Bolin and the group quickly getting over their love triangle and coming together as a team? That's maturity.

Korra 'getting what she wants all the time' isn't a lack of maturity, it just denies her another moment to demonstrate maturity. Yes, Korra did act immature with the whole Mako thing, but she backed off and it wasn't until the end when it came up again. Considering she spent her entire life being trained as the Avatar under lock and key, I think she turned out pretty ok.
Their situations are completely different. These are kids thrust upon on a journey to save the world and are forced to grow up quickly. Them acting out immaturely on occasion doesn't take away from all of the times they reacted as well they could during a war. Asami did react maturely. But that's the only instance. Bolin did not at all, what are you even talking about? He only gave up in the end after the three of them constantly bickered and continued sabotaging each other during the tournament. Korra having no moment to show her maturity is not an excuse for her to be immature. That doesn't even make any sense.

I'm making a point (that you agree with I guess) that characters, even central ones, don't have to undergo large transformations over the course of a story. Sometimes the narrative is the story as much as the characters in it.

It did happen though, at least the first part. She started heeding her masters advice for patience and strategy instead of just charging in all the time. She managed to start connecting to the spirit world because of everything she went through before that point, and finally being able to open up to other people and admit weakness was a part of that. Being able to actually sit down and meditate is something she refused to take seriously at the star of the series; it took everything that happened prior and getting locked in a box for her honestly try, but she did.

Now in terms of 'getting what she wants, I agree and I wish they hadn't done 'I love you', but this doesn't make her a bad character, just a lucky one. I would have loved it have Mako chosen Asami and have Korra come to terms with that and be happy for them.

It would have been a much stronger ending!
Yeah it took her getting locked in a box to attempt to be patient. And that's the only instance of it.

Yet he continues to be immature and act out for completely selfish reasons all the way to the end of the series. By the end of it the people I was watching it with consistently chastised Aang for being a twit. Aang is arguable at his most selfish at the end as the stakes continued to rise and that's not solely because he was struggling with the idea of killing the Firelord. A magic Sea Turtle saved the world, not Aang, and Aang got everything he wanted too.

So... eh?
It is not selfish to not want to take a life. The Lion Turtle gave him an out, but it was an extremely costly out if he failed. It relied on him being pure of spirit, which if he sacrificed what he believed in would have made him lose that ability. If you recall, he had Ozai in his sights with the redirection technique but chose not to. After that he was struggling on what to do and was afraid again. He wasn't handed any thing on a platter like Korra was with the airbending, the Avatar State and Energy bending. She is absolutely handed control over the Avatar State and energy bending when Aang had to struggle for those things. Even his learning of the bending arts were far more reasonable as he had to accept the thinking of those styles (going with the flow, standing your ground, letting your emotions fuel you). Korra exhibits non even a bit of airbending thinking in the end.

LoK is pretty similar to AtlA in that the majority of characters don't get a lot of development relative to the running time for each, 12 episode run or not. And further more I'd argue that it's not always necessary.
The principal characters in ATLA all had development throughout the series. That is not the case with LoK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom