• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

shira

Navi.feelsbadman?

Duck/eel western dishes.
Wtf is this shit. Shokugeki taking a bigger summer dump than complexity.

Artanisix

Really glad I could meet some gaffers and mumblegaf crew. I'll be heading to the airport soon, I'll upload my photos when I make it home.

GET HYPE FOR MIRANA STATUE PREORDERRR

Artanisix

Also Matt, thanks for the afterparty tickets man. I only stuck around for a while but I had a good time. Also red ale is disgusting

TUSR

Banned
Ur not a whale if you don't have all the shit that is way too expensive for no reason.

Whales are blind to superficial shit like looks or price. They jus open there mouth aND consume everything: plankton, fish, garbage.

Ur like a dolphin - makin a lotta noise, choosing ur prey, but you cast no shadow
I like this explanation.

I'm stealing this.

Thats a speed gaming tshirt isnt it
PogChamp.png
PogChamp.png
PogChamp.png

manfestival

I cant buy more levels? I battled with myself about getting more levels because I wanted more immortals... ugh they are gonna be so expensive and I got such garbage ones too :(

Gav47

I cant buy more levels? I battled with myself about getting more levels because I wanted more immortals... ugh they are gonna be so expensive and I got such garbage ones too :(

if you really need levels you can buy a load of the cheap ones and recycle each of them for two levels

shira

I'm not sure if the champions or the players are the problem. From what I saw everyone plays super sloppy in Dota. Like they don't play risk averse like League players do and that translates to how they draft. I watched the finals last night and it seemed like people just randomly die way more often in Dota for virtually no reason.
I don't play league but wtf. Is LCS so complex and nuanced my dota brain cannot compute.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That is basically why I don't find competitive League enjoyable to watch. Most risks in the competitive scene are really low reward, and significantly higher risk, so pros player super safe. The majority of risks in Dota tend to be mid risk mid reward, where fucking up isn't usually game losing like in League. The ways LoL play a significant part in it too, I don't believe there are many avenues to catch back up, due to itemization and map resources.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't play league but wtf. Is LCS so complex and nuanced my dota brain cannot compute.

"Randomly die for virtually no reason" League players are so cute, not knowing what it's like for heroes to actually be lethal.

During that game, I was like either IceFrog buffed Faceless Void and I missed that, or Shadow is using an item build (if not a 100% bash chance cheat) to have a huge damage output. I thought the chance was pseudo-random, so how does he perma-bash during the whole game?

I think it just was luck. Someone pointed out before the perma-bash on w33 he had hit creeps 11 times without a bash, so somehow he was getting all his bashes exclusively on heroes. He interrupted like what, 4 TP's? All with first hit bashes I think. It was ridiculous.

It's hard to comprehend straight bullshit.

"Randomly die for virtually no reason" League players are so cute, not knowing what it's like for heroes to actually be lethal.

It's harder to get ganked when everyone is given Wards round the clock and towers don't hit for 1/5th of your health for the first 10 or so minutes. LoL is more PvE with some players present, and DotA is more PvP but taking the PvE stuff technically wins the game.

We seriously doing mobawars smh

League is all about efficiency. In a way DOTA can't even be due to have so many more factors. In league, if players got picked off or died to the random stuff that happens in DOTA, it would be very poor play.

League person not understanding DOTA is no less or more shocking than your own remark.

League is all about efficiency. In a way DOTA can't even be due to have so many more factors. In league, if players got picked off or died to the random stuff that happens in DOTA, it would be very poor play.

...it's considered poor play in DotA as well. Since when is "so and so got caught out" not an indicator of a misplay? The issue as I see it is that in DotA there's a lot more movement and risk-taking because the game incentivizes risky plays. The meta in DotA is also substantially more open-ended allowing more roaming from supports and junglers throughout the game, and certain heroes have designs that exacerbate that (Chen and Ench for example).

Hylian7

i'm not sure 6.88 can be qualified as illusion meta
i agree with winter saying no meta boiz at the end
I think the "meme" (I really hate calling strats memes) is just that the SD illusions strat was a major factor in winning a handful of TI games.

However, the difference here is you will not see massive amounts of people complaining about Shadow Demon. Maybe Naga or PL, but not Shadow Demon. The hero doesn't exactly gel well with 4 other guys you have never played with before. Expect lots of "I'm helping" Disruptions on the guy stunned by the Beastmaster on your team. They also might not move the resulting illusions and just let auto attack take over.

i'm not sure 6.88 can be qualified as illusion meta
i agree with winter saying no meta boiz at the end

Illusions were really common in this meta, but not for the reason implied. Shadow Demon was picked a lot because Disruption is both an offensive and defensive ability that is really strong--the illusions being used to push wasn't the main reason he was taken. Drow is only on there because a few teams did SD/Drow for a pushing strat (some also did SD with Medusa or Luna for the same effect). Mirana has no real connection to Illusions, neither do ET or Timbersaw. Naga was used mostly as a split push hero that could be strong late, and TB was like a Naga that was better at pushing and could fight earlier.

The interesting thing--not mentioned there--is that Jugg and Void getting Manta became huge this meta, but not because the illusions were strong--it was mostly to counter Silences coming out of heroes like Drow.

The no meta part is easy to believe when Wings wins by outplaying everyone regardless of picks.

Minus pudge that is.

My guess is that we will see nerfs to the most picked/banned heroes but they probably won't be huge.

...it's considered poor play in DotA as well. Since when is "so and so got caught out" not an indicator of a misplay? The issue as I see it is that in DotA there's a lot more movement and risk-taking because the game incentivizes risky plays. The meta in DotA is also substantially more open-ended allowing more roaming from supports and junglers throughout the game, and certain heroes have designs that exacerbate that (Chen and Ench for example).
PLD is one of the best supports in DOTA. If he played like that in league, he'd be shit. That's where the variance lies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
6.88 = BORING AND FIGURED OUT

giff new patch

On a more serious note, great patch but I also don't agree with the people saying no meta that spawned from a caster's buzz/hype phrase (especially the reddit circle jerk), when wings was taking the series seriously they basically picked the same team twice in a row against DC opening with that strong oracle/void combo.

DC opened with mirana every single game. DC also picked timber every game it was available. ET/SD/Mirana were fp/fb nearly every game, and the first round bans were pretty much the same for the entirety of the grand finals. There was a pretty established meta—yeah wings was by far the best team, yeah they used a wide variety of heroes—but notice how they lost whenever they went too crazy and in that last game DC was just broken and w33 tunneled the axe the entire game until they tossed (they really should have won that game 4).

Very good patch but like all patches it does get figured out and it does have quirks and overtuned heroes that need to be sorted out (and completely ignored heroes that need some love).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If only Icefrog could give the Mirana Aghs treatment to every other worthless Aghs (hint hint Luna, the original blue laser nuker)

Top Bottom