• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think least DC had some cool stuff. Grant Morrison announcing both a follow up to Arkham Asylum and Wonder Woman Earth One was definitely a highlight for me. WW Earth One Vol 2 was bound to happen, but damn at Arkham Asylum 2.

That's good for DC fans. But I don't read DC. I really only care about Image and the X-Men. Image has been a no show so far and that Piskor book isn't something I really want or need. I might check it

Rose City

I figure Image willl probably have a stronger showing in their back yard.

Wanderer5

Meh, hard to be excited for Frank Miller nowadays.

And was there anything particularly notable from Marvel Comics? I am going to guess that they talked about Legacy more. I think for the time being still, it just be Squirrel Girl to look forward to for me.

Raccoon City Comic Con, obvs.

How could I not know about this?! :O

Sandfox

I would pay top dollar for Raccoon City Comic Con to be a real thing.

Meh, hard to be excited for Frank Miller nowadays.

And was there anything particularly notable from Marvel Comics? I am going to guess that they talked about Legacy more. I think for the time being still, it just be Squirrel Girl to look forward to for me.

How could I not know about this?! :O
From what I remember:
X-men Grand Design
Thanos being taken over by the God Country creative team
Line of digital first books
Waid and Samnee Cap
New Starlin and Davis OGN
6 Legacy one-shots
New Chinese heroes by Chinese creators

mreddie

From what I remember:
X-men Grand Design
Thanos being taken over by the God Country creative team
Line of digital first books
Waid and Samnee Cap
New Starlin and Davis OGN
6 Legacy one-shots
New Chinese heroes by Chinese creators

I think people want Legacy to not sound like a stopgap.

frye

If he's being ghostwritten by like, Azz or whoever... well, I might actually still be in for JRJR

Yeah, up until DK3 I always said every comic with Miller's name on it was at least interesting, which isn't something you can say for a lot of people who've worked primarily in mainstream comics. The shameless cash-ins (Spawn/Batman + DK2 + ASBAR) are all cool and even the fash shit can be breathtaking (300) or at least have a few decent drawings here and there (Holy Terror). DK3 though...

Man Without Fear is still my favourite JRJR, it's so good

Yeah, up until DK3 I always said every comic with Miller's name on it was at least interesting, which isn't something you can say for a lot of people who've worked primarily in mainstream comics. The shameless cash-ins (Spawn/Batman + DK2 + ASBAR) are all cool and even the fash shit can be breathtaking (300) or at least have a few decent drawings here and there (Holy Terror). DK3 though...

Man Without Fear is still my favourite JRJR, it's so good
Yeah I didn't even bother with DKIII

Did anyone here even finish it

Man, look at DC with all these Rebirth books hitting 25 issues. What percentage of the Marvel line even gets near that anymore? All books have good arcs and not-so-good arcs. There's going to be fluctuation in sales numbers. Marvel is too quick to replace books when numbers dip instead of being patient.

Wanderer5

Man, look at DC with all these Rebirth books hitting 25 issues. What percentage of the Marvel line even gets near that anymore? All books have good arcs and not-so-good arcs. There's going to be fluctuation in sales numbers. Marvel is too quick to replace books when numbers dip instead of being patient.

Yeah, I mean shit, Blue Beetle is one of the Rebirth books that has been in the dumps apparently, but not only has it still been hanging around, but it is also getting a new creative team from the sound of it.

Messi

Numbers generally don't fluctuate they just slowly dwindle down to whatever the final resting place is.

I mean, DC can keep publishing - *looks at the cutoff point* - Batgirl and the Birds of Prey (Issue 11, 19,912 sold), Superwoman (#11, 16,137), New Super Man (#12, 13,610), Blue Beetle (#10, 12,399), Cyborg (#13, 12,076), and Fall and Rise of Captain Atom (#6, 9,660). But why?

Marvel keeps some books around that make sense, like Spider-Man 2099 (Issue 24, 14,828 readers, Peter David niche) and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (#21, 10,937, Eisner-winning kids-focused book), but Occupy Avengers, Bullseye, Elektra? Might as well kill them or change the cutoff line. Of the DC books above, I'd keep around... New Super Man, Blue Beetle, and Cyborg to cover niches, but even Cyborg could be replaced, like with the new Duke book.

Also, the Rebirth book hitting #25 are their double-shippers, which is all the mainline titles.

Numbers generally don't fluctuate they just slowly dwindle down to whatever the final resting place is.

Even on big books, that's mostly the case.

Yeah, I mean shit, Blue Beetle is one of the Rebirth books that has been in the dumps apparently, but not only has it still been hanging around, but it is also getting a new creative team from the sound of it.

Right. Because that's generally how you attempt to fix dropping sales. You retool the book before you even think about replacing it. Marvel is just burning through so many decent ideas right now.

It depends. See above.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn. Skrulls and Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne, say what you want, but on the Movie side, Marvel is delivering.
Gonna go, I need to watch the Thor Trailer :D

Oh this could be really interesting. Definitely in

Of course you are ;)

C9_ZVnrUIAAJLPl.jpg

shingi70

Banned
Not holding my breath for the Chinese heroes to make an impact. Remember the white fox.

http://www.koreaboo.com/buzz/marvels-first-korean-superhero-secures-role-avengers/

Only one webcomic and she had her first and probably only appearance two years later in civil war II of all things.

Or remember Red Widow the teen version of Black Widow, she's only had one back up story to.my knowledge and hasn't appeared since showing up in that Black Widow prose novel.

Just read the first trade of that Tom King Vision comic. Man, it's pretty damned sweet. Annoying that I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get the next trade from Amazon.

Messi

Right. Because that's generally how you attempt to fix dropping sales. You retool the book before you even think about replacing it. Marvel is just burning through so many decent ideas right now.

It depends. See above.

See what? A bunch of books that don't fluctuate? Usually whatever sales a first few issues get are it's peak and it almost always slowly gets lower as the issues get higher

The #25 are double shipped so it's the same amount of time as a 12-13 issue series. I think for a lot of DC titles the double shipping is too much and has forced me into being behind on so many titles and needing to spend upwards of 300$ in the sale to catch up with the truly core titles.

Just read the first trade of that Tom King Vision comic. Man, it's pretty damned sweet. Annoying that I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get the next trade from Amazon.

Now imagine getting 22 pages a month.

Serioisly. Best 12 months of my life. I always feel bad for trade waiters.

Haha we need no pity my man! Waiting is a pain just because it's out there and folks are chatting about it but I do it with TV too, I didn't watch the new Fargo until it was done either. I just like to binge that way and go at my own pace. Funny thing is I actually really appreciate and prefer the storytelling opportunities presented by having individual issues or episodes, I wouldn't want these to be OGNs instead, but I like to have them there at my fingers.

Owzers

The only reason I buy walking dead and deadly class monthly digital is to avoid spoilers, 20ish pages isn't enough to make the month long waits worth it.

Top Bottom