• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

UberTag

They've convinced me to buy one when the new Xeno title releases.
I'm not buying one beforehand.
Nintendo needs to earn their cookie. (Especially sucky NOA.)
Buying a console on the basis of games "that will come out" as opposed to games "that are already out" is silly.

Plenty of 3DS goodness to keep me occupied until then.

Onemic

smash bros, mario and mario kart are all givens so no. The only game Im jelly about is Monoliths game though. I'm still waiting until after these games come out, the Wii and 3DS has made me very overly cautious towards Nintendo offerings as of late.

I don't understand the people saying it's "All the same old nintendo stuff" at this point. Yeah they mentioned Mario Kart and 3D Mario and Smash Bros. and Zelda, but those aren't even the games they actually showed off. Yeah we knew those were coming, what are more interesting are the other games like Wonderful 101, the new Monolith Xeno game, and Bayonetta 2. But yes, Nintendo is just rehashing Mario and Zelda and these games apparently count for nothing. Come on guys. SMT x Fire Emblem also is a huge "WHAT?!".

I would have to get previews on how those games played to be hyped about them. Otherwise, they're just games that look like current gen games.

Kyou

I already had a Wii U, but they've certainly made me happier to own one. These have been a dark two months.

I will be awaiting for a price drop. When ever that may be.

Also, waiting for the inevitable Super Mario Universe.

These announcements are amazing though but I will hold off until then.

KAL2006

Banned
I was always planning to get a Wii when it's £150 in a couple of years. Nintendo Direct didn't change shit for me. WiiU is still underpowered and overpriced. The account system is still a joke.

As for new announcements. Announcement of an announcement for Mario Kart and Mario 3D for E3, like we didn't see them coming in the first place, and I bet those titles are still way off (fall 2013 the earliest)., Nintendo were probably just announced those extra early cause their 2013 line up is terrible. Yoshi game looks to be a disappointment, made by Kirby Epic Yarn team, that game was made for baby's this seems to look similar, I prefer the handrawn look of Yoshi's Island. The ony decent announcements were Fire Emblem and the new Xenoblade game. Windwaker HD is cool, but I feel they are only releasing it cause the true nextgen Zelda is taking them time and HD released ain't nothing to go crazy about. Or the other games were shit we already know about or casual fluff. As for Virtual Console , that is most certainly a con by Nintendo, having to still pay for VC games on WiiU even though you own them on Wii. And Nintendo restarting the releases by releasing them all over again slowly on WiiU. Question will WiiU and 3DS VC games be unified (buy one get the other free), or is Nintendo planning to con people on that as well as there is no excuse as 3DS and WiiU are both new systems.

I would have to get previews on how those games played to be hyped about them. Otherwise, they're just games that look like current gen games.

If you only care about graphics, you might as well stick with PC since that's always going to be the best in that category. At least you would make some sense then.

fuck no, there's Orbis and Durango in a year.

What Orbis/Durango games are you looking forward to?

TDLink

Obviously previews will come at E3 and we already have positive previews on Wonderful 101 from last year which seemingly everyone has ignored. People can't complain Nintendo never does other IPs than Mario/Zelda when they are doing other IPs. Nintendo is always going to make Mario and Zelda games but they also always have new (or newer) IPs as well, and it's dumb that people are ignoring them. Mario and Zelda also existing doesn't negate them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Today's announcements are nice, but I never had any doubt that the system would receive quality first party support over time. It's a Nintendo console, that's the one thing you can count on. So while the system is a bit more appealing knowing these titles are on the (distant) horizon, my perception of it hasn't changed.

I may buy a Wii U one day, but I plan on waiting for the next gen system launches before I make that decision. I only plan on buying one of them so it's worth waiting a bit longer. My concerns about the Wii U's third party support, underpowered hardware, and outdated online infrastructure are still as valid as ever.

remnant

Banned
Really? So now Bayonetta is a "meh" franchise?

Nintendo did a lot for me today. Considering this isn't a next gen powerhouse console I was impressed.

beast786

I don't understand the people saying it's "All the same old nintendo stuff" at this point. Yeah they mentioned Mario Kart and 3D Mario and Smash Bros. and Zelda, but those aren't even the games they actually showed off. Yeah we knew those were coming, what are more interesting are the other games like Wonderful 101, the new Monolith Xeno game, and Bayonetta 2. But yes, Nintendo is just rehashing Mario and Zelda and these games apparently count for nothing. Come on guys. SMT x Fire Emblem also is a huge "WHAT?!".

That is a good point. The Mario/Zelda was just to make headlines without any content. The main thing to look forward were wonderful101 , Monolith .

I am still bitter with absolutely no release dates for anything. But, at least couple of new stuff did make me happy.

i-Lo

Perhaps, but not before a significant price drop. Unlike people who have grown up playing and revering nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, I started console gaming with PS3. So my nostalgia inducing list is very limited with me going back to play a few celebrated Xbox and PS2 titles on their (BC). So, in essence, I do not believe that I will ever be drawn to Nintendo console and games to the same degree as Playstation and XBox and their respective franchises.

Servbot24

Banned
At best, Wii U will be my supplementary console behind PS4. But the fact I'm even thinking about getting one now is an improvement.

Lime

hahaha. I don't even know what that means

hopefully sony and microsoft use a more mature plastic for a mature individual like yourself.

Why do objections to any console always have to implicitly assume that other consoles are better or that it's about competitors? Everything isn't an issue of console warz, you know.

Anyway, I just always felt the last couple of Nintendo console and controller design in terms of materiality feel cheap and toy-like, hence the Fisher Price comment.

Wii U will likely be a LttP console experience for me in 5 years time. It'll be really cheap and have a stable of solid Nintendo published and produced titles that I didn't care to spend full price on at a time when the industry is in the full throws of a generational shift.

With a newish gaming PC on my desk all my consoles lay pretty dormant. The gap between PCs and consoles now is so large that spending $60 for the console version of a game that looks better, runs better and costs $40 on PC is painful for me. The idea of purchasing a current gen console at full (new console) price for me, right now, is out of the question.

I think Nintendo needs to rely on other IPs as well, otherwise it'll keep bringing the "Nintendo is only for Nintendo games" crowd all over again and will hurt third-party games sales and even makes things difficult for new IPs and even older ones.

If you only care about graphics, you might as well stick with PC since that's always going to be the best in that category. At least you would make some sense then.

Sorry Iwata-san. I didn't say I only care about graphics. I said I get no indications about how the game plays from short videos and would wait on impressions. Otherwise, they only look like current gen games that give me no reason to buy a new $300 system.

Now, learn to read or sit down.

Is this thread a trap for cry baby Nintendo fans to get mad that you aren't excited by the same things they are?

Double standars are at an historical high in this thread. Nintendo shows many tasty new titles along with mentioning new installments for historical IPs and you say "meh", on the other hand Orbis/Durango unrealistic rumours get yourselves hyped like schoolgirls. What's wrong with you!?

Was already going to buy one, so I was already convinced. More like, I just need to find when the time's right to buy one.

As much as I can impulse buy it right now, I'm going to wait a bit longer.

Continue to fight the good fight breh
aqDwC.png

I'll consider it. I've never been too keen on Playstation/Xbox games, but when the WiiU launched, it felt underwhelming. I'll see how the new Smash/Mario Everything looks at E3 before buying it.

TDLink

Sorry Iwata-san. I didn't say I only care about graphics. I said I get no indications about how the game plays from short videos and would wait on impressions. Otherwise, they only look like current gen games that give me no reason to buy a new $300 system.

Is this thread a trap for cry baby Nintendo fans to get mad that you aren't excited by the same things they are?

Realistically there are enough impressions out there for Wonderful 101 already and everyone knows what both Bayonetta and Xenoblade play like. It isn't a stretch to say that Bayo 2 will probably be similar to the original and that the new Monolith Game looks like it has Xenoblade's core battle system but with new stuff (like the mech stuff) added in. And again, obviously impressions on that will come at the actual trade shows like E3. At the least these teasers prove Nintendo is bringing out some big budget stuff apart from their Mario/Zelda games in the next year or two.

SparkTR

Not any time soon, but maybe in the future. This stuff looked good, but a lot of it is still a long while off and my interest will definitely diminish come Sony and Microsoft's announcements.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Close, definitely. But the price needs to come down at least $50. I can't justify that much money when the internals aren't as future proof as the other consoles.

pixlexic

Banned
Actually the negativity is less than I would have suspected with the Durango hype that just happened with the spec leaks.

What Orbis/Durango games are you looking forward to?

Gears 4, Halo 5, Call of Duty 12, and PGR 19 to name a few.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Double standars are at an historical high in this thread. Nintendo shows many tasty new titles along with mentioning new installments for historical IPs and you say "meh", on the other hand Orbis/Durango unrealistic rumours get yourselves hyped like schoolgirls. What's wrong with you!?

Who are you even talking to?

Will wait to see what new games are shown at E3. I think Durango/Orbis/Rift hype may have overtaken things by then though, and it sounds like new Zelda might be a couple of years away still, so I might just wait for that.

pantsmith

I had a WiiU preordered and just didnt bother to follow through with it. As much as I'd like to play around with the gamepad some more, nothing so far has convinced me I made the wrong decision.

Do I want a WiiU? Yeah, absolutely. The trick is getting me off my ass and convincing me I need to go buy one right this second. These games look/sound great, but like Bayonnetta 2 theyre not out yet.

Cheska

I was already on board when Bayonetta 2 was announced but I have to say I'm impressed with their recent announcements.

You don't get how a sidescroller, an rpg, and easily defined games play? Did you lose your glasses? I understand that we can't expect much from your posts considering they're more predictable than Nintendo's 1st party lineup, but you could at least pretend to not act like an immature child.

I know you're a junior and all, but this is a Nintendo thread. If you're gonna type the bolded, at least have the gif to go along with it:

reggie-whats-wrong-with-you-gif.1795

Top Bottom