• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

I'd like to know this too, so I know whether to use ethernet or wifi.

You don't need to know about the netcode to make that decision.

As delay-based netcodes go the older Tekkens were pretty solid. Maybe second or third best (I'm not entirely sure what Sega used, and they were definitely better). Definitely more playable than SF4 pre-rollback, NRS pre-rollback, etc.

Baleoce

Just bought this on PC. Got to wait til 2nd for it to unlock though. Depending on the size I might not get to play it til later in the weekend. Looking forward to it though.

twisteh

I know what you mean, but to explain better I've got ps4 in my bedroom at the moment so if the wifi is "decent to OK" I'll just keep it there rather than go through the effort of moving the ps4 back to my living room solely for this game.

ajb1888

Banned
Actually debating on if I need to cop that Pro. Maybe I need to trade my base PS4 in but who knows how much of a hassle switching games would be.

Full disclosure, I traded mine in for a pro last weekend, both for T7 and future games. It was a little time consuming re-downloading my games (still have a few I'll get too) but other than that I've been thrilled with the hardware so far. But I'm a bit ocd with console graphics and resolutions lol. It'll still be 60 fps even on the standard model.

AllenShrz

Yes, the ranked system is broken.

You spend waaaay too much time on menus, loading screens and rejects.

Other than that soo far so good. On another thing, I'm playing on the pro with an external ssd, looks to me that I'm always loading faster than my opponent.

Hutchie

Easiest way to practise blocking rage moves? Can it be done in training?

Anybody?

There is a record and repeat in training but blocking rage moves in no different to any other move, you either block low or high. So its probably more useful to know what hits where

Sillution

Silly question to anyone who preordered from Best Buy ship to home. Does free shipping usually come to your house for release day or do you need to pick release day shipping? Debating on choosing to do pick up from store or home.

Slaythe

As delay-based netcodes go the older Tekkens were pretty solid. Maybe second or third best (I'm not entirely sure what Sega used, and they were definitely better). Definitely more playable than SF4 pre-rollback, NRS pre-rollback, etc.

But those had atrocious netcodes.

There are delay-based netcodes with great results, like Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2.

If you have to compare the Tekken netcode to obsolete 10 years old games... yikes.

Not saying Tekken 7's is bad but please use better comparisons so we know what to get into, it's a legit concern.

Dubz

Got it on CDKeys via PayPal. Will CDKeys just end up sending me the code to my PayPal email, or do I find the code on the site? If anyone knows, thanks.

cordy

Banned
Full disclosure, I traded mine in for a pro last weekend, both for T7 and future games. It was a little time consuming re-downloading my games (still have a few I'll get too) but other than that I've been thrilled with the hardware so far. But I'm a bit ocd with console graphics and resolutions lol. It'll still be 60 fps even on the standard model.

Good point. That is going to be majorly time-consuming especially with a new game out that I want to play. Damn.

Qwyjibo

Got it on CDKeys via PayPal. Will CDKeys just end up sending me the code to my PayPal email, or do I find the code on the site? If anyone knows, thanks.

You will get an email to whatever email you have registered on their site. That will have a link to the code.

If you have to compare the Tekken netcode to obsolete 10 years old games... yikes.

Not saying Tekken 7's is bad but please use better comparisons so we know what to get into, it's a legit concern.

Wow. Guilty Gear Xrd has some of the worst delay-based netcode I've ever used. (I'd put it slightly above NRS games, and worse than even stuff like Soulcalibur 4.) Completely unplayable, even with friends whose connection I trust and I successfully play dozens of other fighters with. Funny how that works. I suppose Rev 2 might have improved things, but since most recent Arc games have been basically unplayable for me online I kind of doubt it.

But just to be clear, I haven't played Tekken 7 online yet so I wasn't offering any impressions of it. Like everybody grabbing the superior version I get to wait a bit longer.

They sent me the link for the code via email about an hour ago.

PARANO1A

I'm excited and have my preload ready to go. I hope Kazuya remains awesome.

I'm a bit disappointed that single player looks slimmer than prior outings. I also think the backgrounds look very sparse and full compared to TTT2 madhouse arenas. Hopefully the gameplay is the hook that succeeds despite.

Deps

Xrd netcode is garbage unless you play on steam and change the settings for reduced input delay. Most of the good psn players switched to steam because psn xrd might as well be unplayable.

Slaythe

Wow. Guilty Gear Xrd has some of the worst delay-based netcode I've ever used. (I'd put it slightly above NRS games, and worse than even stuff like Soulcalibur 4.) Completely unplayable, even with friends whose connection I trust and I successfully play dozens of other fighters with. Funny how that works. I suppose Rev 2 might have improved things, but since most recent Arc games have been basically unplayable for me online I kind of doubt it.

Not to be obnoxious, but that's not true.

Guilty Gear Sign released with a poor netcode, they ended up patching it a few months later and improved things dramatically.

GGXrd Rev had great netcode, and Rev2 is one of the best netcodes out there.

Anybody with a stable and fast connection would have a great experience with it anyway.

So for you to call it unplayable, I have to seriously wonder what can be going on.

Deps

Guilty Gear Sign released with a poor netcode, they ended up patching it a few months later and improved things dramatically.

GGXrd Rev had great netcode, and Rev2 is one of the best netcodes out there.

Anybody with a stable and fast connection would have a great experience with it anyway.

So for you to call it unplayable, I have to seriously wonder what can be going on.

Ask any top Xrd player, they will tell you the same thing.

Is the story mode in this anything like the MK/Injustice ones? I usually never play these games online and am trying to justify purchasing this.

At what block advantage/disadvantage are most moves safe at?

To quote my own write up:

*When you block a move that is 0 to -9 frames on block, most characters can't do anything so that move is safe. You still have advantage of course, so use it to pressure them.
*When you block a move that is -10, most characters get a jab punish for small but relevant damage and good advantage after, so moves of this caliber or worse are unsafe.
*When it's -12 or -13, characters start to get punishes for significant damage and/or knockdown.
*At -14, characters get mini-launches or strong hits into knockdown.
*At -15 or more, most characters get a launch into a full combo so these moves are called launch punishable.

MrS

Banned
There is a record and repeat in training but blocking rage moves in no different to any other move, you either block low or high. So its probably more useful to know what hits where
Thank you!

TfKBM0g.jpg
Took 11 hours. Now it's time to take on some bums online.

Elixist

got my cdkeys code check your emails and click the download link. preload almost done

anybody kno if we can unlock early with japan vpn?

Is there even any pro support for that's been confirmed yet?

Well, all I can say is I haven't played the most recent revisions. After Xrd and Chronophantasma I stopped buying Arc's games without serious discounts, since I consider them effectively offline-only fighters.

I could definitely see Xrd maybe working okay in certain scenarios, but as Deps has pointed out there's definitely a broad consensus that the netcode for the game is bad.
Looking forward to some matches this weekend!
I'll be there, probably with bells on because this is Tekken and everybody's a clown, ha ha ha.

But looking forward to it.
Seems like I'll have to put some more practice time into Tag 2, I figured if I was just fighting Mecha I was fine as is.

Gitaroo

Any pc impression for a 970? So far they only said 1060 can do 1080p & 1440p 60 fps but nothing on 970. 1060 is quite a bit more powerful than 970. It looks like the pro won't be able to do pc max setting (missing motion blur).

I played some today with somebody's else disc for a few matches. Wish the load times were faster. Probably was just super impatient to just play more, haha.

Can't wait till Friday!!!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What happens when players realize that they are about to face the GOAT Tekken player in ranked match lol...

https://twitter.com/holyknee/status/870033738524008448

I wonder if there's a way they can implement incentives after release. Like if you decided to accept a match from a really good player you get a crazy good cash payout regardless of whether you win or lose. Here's hoping they were already thinking along these lines or something because I know people are going to abuse the shit out of this unfortunately.

I'm buying this game because I saw a .gif of King doing the Rainmaker and doing Kazuchika Okada's pose. I will regret nothing if I ever actually successfully land a Rainmaker on someone.

MrS

Banned
Not sure whether I love or loathe Rage Art online. It has saved me and killed me in equal measure. It's a nice Get Out Of Jail Free card for sure.

B00TE

Any pc impression for a 970? So far they only said 1060 can do 1080p & 1440p 60 fps but nothing on 970. 1060 is quite a bit more powerful than 970. It looks like the pro won't be able to do pc max setting (missing motion blur).

I have a 970 myself, curious to know the same.

Coda

That's why this game is amazing. The amount of extra content and customization is the best in Tekken 7 and it should be an example for other companies. So many fighting games lack this amount of deep customization and content at launch. I have to commend Bandai Namco for this release. It took a while but at least we're getting a fully featured product.

MrS

Banned
That's why this game is amazing. The amount of extra content and customization is the best in Tekken 7 and it should be an example for other companies. So many fighting games lack this amount of deep customization and content at launch. I have to commend Bandai Namco for this release. It took a while but at least we're getting a fully featured product.
Would have preferred a few more game modes over, or in addition to, the customisation tbh. It's a bit empty compared to TTT2.

Top Bottom