• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

CE9qcmP.png

9jbVlwp.png

Genre: FPS/ RPG (Loot Fest)
Platforms: Steam (PC/Mac/Linux), Xbox 360, Playstation 3
Release Date: October 14, 2014 in NA/ 16th in AUS/ 17th in EU
Developer: 2K Australia/ Gearbox Software
Publisher: 2K Games

PC System Requirements:
Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 13 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compliant

What is it?
It's Borderlands! Everything you loved about the previous entries in the Borderlands franchise returns: 4-player coop, humorous writing, fast paced shooting, GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!

The Pre-Sequel brings some new mechanics to the mix as well. New chryo, laser, and beam weapons mean even more diverse loot than before. The game also introduces some new gravity and oxygen mechanics, allowing players to perform double jumps and butt slams from above.

7lqrI0R.png

Taking place between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, the Pre-Sequel tells the story of Handsome Jack's rise to power. Hyperion's orbital base on
Elpis (Pandora's moon) has been taken over by group of Dahl Corporation soldiers calling themselves the Lost Legion. Not-yet-handsome Jack has recruited four vault hunters (you) to assist him in taking back the base for Hyperion and preventing any further damage to Elpis or the planet below.

GEBPGup.png

yWASwFF.png

Nisha is a gunslinger with a sadistic side. She specializes in pistols and can deal large amounts of damage to multiple enemies in a short time with her action skill and lightning whip special ability.

Action Skill: Showdown. Nisha gains the ability to automatically target enemies and has her damage, accuracy, reload, and firing speeds enhanced for a short duration. The player can switch between targets at any time during Showdown.
Melee: Whip
Role: DPS
Nisha's Skill Tree
Video Overview

I2ktkFV.png

Wilhelm is a Hyperion engineer turned mercenary vault-hunter. He is a robotics expert and can augment himself with bionic enhancements, granting him additional abilities.

Action Skill: Wolf and Saint. Wilhelm summons two combat drones to assist him in battle. Wolf, his offensive drone, will zoom around attacking nearby enemies while Saint, his defensive drone, stays close at hand and heals Wilhelm.
Melee: Robot Fist
Role: Pet Class
Wilhelm's Skill Tree
Video Overview

C1Kn8uX.png

Once a Crimson Lance assassin, Athena is now a gladiator and gun for hire. She also servers as the Pre-Sequel's narrator.

Action Skill: Kinetic Aspis. Athena can pull out her Aspis shield, absorbing incoming damage up to a limit based on her current level. She can then throw the shield at an enemy, dealing back the absorbed damage. Yes, this skill can also be upgraded to bounce like Captain America's shield.
Melee: Gladiator's Sword
Role: Tank
Athena's Skill Tree
Video Overview

BtDcPXJ.png

It's Claptrap!

Action Skill: VaultHunter.exe. Claptrap's programming automatically analyzes the current situation and selects one of multiple "Action Packages" to run. These action packages can be wildly different, and more are unlocked as you progress through Claptrap's skill tree. Effects of action packages can include (but are not limited to): dual wielding, becoming a pirate ship, spawning a laser disco ball, and making everyone in your party incredibly bouncy.
Melee: Claptrap's flipper-hand-things.
Role: Support/ Everything
Claptrap's Skill Tree
Video Overview

gdhaU1d.png

Sir Hammerlock and Mr. Torgue welcome you to Elpis.
4-player coop demonstration.
Hour+ let's play video.

GIFS!
if5p2ByFjCQF6.gif

AW6lNp.gif

syscprcfmm1reqpmrtey.gif

borderlands_cryo_pre_sequel_by_digi_matrix-d7dsrrb.gif

tumblr_n85p22mmRx1tt3wuco1_500.gif

tumblr_n85p22mmRx1tt3wuco2_500.gif

zhjG858.png

As with both previous entries in the series, Borderlands the Pre-Sequel has extensive additional content planned for DLC. A season pass can be purchased now and will grant access to four future content expansions. These kind of expansions have been pretty meaty in past games and may even include new character classes this time around. The season pass is $29.99 USD.

This is my first OT, so sorry if it's a little sloppy. Thanks to Serpens007 for help with the thread! Enjoy!

Nokterian

After destiny i do want a better loot shooter well even after borderlands 2 this looks fun and got the game for free from my work nice job OP! :)

Randdalf

As with both previous entries in the series, Borderlands the Pre-Sequel has extensive additional content planned for DLC. A season pass can be purchased now and will grant access to four future content expansions. These kind of expansions have been pretty meaty in past games and can also include new character classes. The season pass is $29.99 USD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two DLC classes in Borderlands 2 were both separate to the season pass and had to be bought separately. Gaige was a pre-order bonus I think.

Everyone loves discounts!

GMG:

• Get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for $48.00
• Get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Season Pass for $24.00
• Use code: OCTOBE-R20GMG-OFFERX

DLGamer:

• Get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for $43.79
• Use code: DLG-POVWNIA-27

GameStop:

• Get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for $50.99
• Use code: PCD15PR

2game:

• Get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for $47.99
• Use code: BLPS-12USD

Note: As mentioned, expirations vary on all the deals listed above. While these deals are valid at time of writing, GMG’s deal will expire soon, later this Friday at 11 a.m. ET. For DLGamer and 2game, the expiration date is unknown, but you can safely assume these deals will expire when Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is no longer available for preorder.
https://games.yahoo.com/news/borderlands-pre-sequel-preorder-deals-172502253.html

SerTapTap

Gonna main Athena for some face melting goodness. Am I to understand there's no cheaper, legit preorder deals so I may as well just buy on steam now? oh nvm...

I love that there'll be gameplay changes for being on the Moon compared to the majority of games that aren't indie. Will there more new cool mechanics or is the oxygen and lowgrav the only new mechanics on top of a traditional Borderlands game? I'm expecting the latter which is fine as this is not a fully formed sequel but just curious.

SerTapTap

I love that there'll be gameplay changes for being on the Moon compared to the majority of games that aren't indie. Will there more new cool mechanics or is the oxygen and lowgrav the only new mechanics on top of a traditional Borderlands game? I'm expecting the latter which is fine as this is not a fully formed sequel but just curious.

Laser and cryo guns too. And BUTTSLAMS. Elemental buttslams, too. With your elemental butt.

I'm super excited for this, but I have way to much to play at the moment. (Mordor and a bunch of handheld stuff)
I'm sure it will be discounted during the Steam holiday sale, so I'm probably pick it up around then.

I've been liking what I've been hearing about how the new game+(or ++) difficulty might be better balanced than Borderlands 2 (not confirmed, but people seem to have figured out that the difficulty curve seems more linear vs. B2's exponential increase). I only really play these games single player, so I want to be able to have an enjoyable challenge once I hit True and Ultimate Vault Hunter modes.

Very excited for this game. Skill trees, HUD, graphics tend to look just like Borderlands 2 on PC, but new setting and new weapon types, should keep things fresh. Anybody heard about pre-load on PC for this on Steam??

playing as claptrap. It has come to my attention that clap trap has become the character that it is cool to hate. My friends said they wont even high five me for his buff skill

SerTapTap

Very excited for this game. Skill trees, HUD, graphics tend to look just like Borderlands 2 on PC, but new setting and new weapon types, should keep things fresh. Anybody heard about pre-load on PC for this on Steam??

Wasn't BL2 preload? I forget.

playing as claptrap. It has come to my attention that clap trap has become the character that it is cool to hate. My friends said they wont even high five me for his buff skill

I don't think it's legal to not like Claptrap

SerTapTap

I'm super excited for this, but I have way to much to play at the moment. (Mordor and a bunch of handheld stuff)
I'm sure it will be discounted during the Steam holiday sale, so I'm probably pick it up around then.

I've been liking what I've been hearing about how the new game+(or ++) difficulty might be better balanced than Borderlands 2 (not confirmed, but people seem to have figured out that the difficulty curve seems more linear vs. B2's exponential increase). I only really play these games single player, so I want to be able to have an enjoyable challenge once I hit True and Ultimate Vault Hunter modes.

Good to hear about a more balanced postgame. I also hope playing with friends more than 4 levels away from you isn't impossible. It's really annoying when everyone's level really have to sync up, by the end I was just using a save editor to sync up to friends.

yeah, the new game pluses seem really cool in this one. Completely different from before.

I'm really digging the verticality that the low-grav setting is introducing in this game. It's no Tribes (goodness, what if they had changed out oxygen for energy and just given everyone jetpacks), but the fact that everything's not so damn planar really is appealing.

As long as the loot grind is more BL2 DLC style rather than "base" BL2, I'll be happy. There was actually quite a lot of advancement in terms of how the endgame loot hunt was handled in the later DLCs and from what I've read the developers are committed to not making some of the same mistakes BL2 did with itemization to make things more evened out (read: less sand hawks and unkempt harolds).

Ready to shoot lasers on the moon and get space loot

will be mine on steam-and I will be claptrapping it up

edit:if you already have a gmg account: you were emailed a one time use account based code for new titles today that drops the price to $45-and you get the preorder slaughter pit dlc-check your emails-

BouncyFrag

Great OT! My 360 is in a drawer but I'd bust it out for this. I only played through BL2 recently and was blown away by how much fun I had with it.

SerTapTap

Enemies still scream when on fire right? Even though it's space? This is important.

Me too, been way too long. I have a feeling it will be, probably go up sometime this weekend. Although a 13GB download sounds very managable compared to some of the recent AAA PC releases.

Oh right, one good aspect of it being based off last gen. I hope it has even more PC settings than BL2, there's some stuff like AA and LOD that really annoyed me in BL2. Textures and geometry were fine though, art style helps quite a bit.

Any article detail the relative length of the game? I hope it would be comparable in length to Borderlands 2 considering it's a full price title, but didn't know if Pitchford or 2K Australia made any mention.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol @ the OT title. I of course obligatorily read it in Torgue's voice.

I'm excited for this, but I don't know if I want to pay full-price because, I kind of want to play with my boyfriend, and I'm not sure if we'll need two copies or if one will be OK with the Steam family sharing...? If so, I'd rather not pay the full price twice, I'll wait for sales. [Edit: duh, family sharing won't work, it locks the owner's games while he plays, forgot about this xD dammit]

That said, we did play Borderlands 1 in LAN using his own Steam copy, with me launching Steam in offline mode. For BL2 we each had a copy (he bought a four-pack since he wanted to give it away to friends too).
2 females and 1 male isn't equality
Clap-trap is totes male, yo!

Any article detail the relative length of the game? I hope it would be comparable in length to Borderlands 2 considering it's a full price title, but didn't know if Pitchford or 2K Australia made any mention.

longer than BL1 base game and shorter than BL2 base game- whatever that means-

SerTapTap

First gun I want is a Maliwan ice SMG. Wonder how murderous those PhysX effects are going to be on my PC since I have an AMD GPU

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Looks good, almost completed my true vault hunter playthrough with Axton.

Will pick Willhelm, love the idea of a part cyborg guy. And i always pick the character who has a turret/machine type bonus as there ability

Good to hear about a more balanced postgame. I also hope playing with friends more than 4 levels away from you isn't impossible. It's really annoying when everyone's level really have to sync up, by the end I was just using a save editor to sync up to friends.

yeah, the new game pluses seem really cool in this one. Completely different from before.

Like I said, I don't think anything has been confirmed, but the video I watched giving the reasons they think it's balanced differently seemed pretty reasonable.

Another good reason for me to wait is for people to play through it 2-3 times to confirm that the T+UVHM are improved. :)

daedalius

Why doesn't Amazon have release day delivery?? wtf!

I hope the bosses and raids continue the trend we were getting near the end of BL2!

SerTapTap

Why doesn't Amazon have release day delivery?? wtf!

I hope the bosses and raids continue the trend we were getting near the end of BL2!

Hopefully they're more like Terramorphus and Pyro Pete than Master Gee and Hyperius. Found most of the "raid bosses" really annoying

hoggert

It is a quite good weekend when the following week you will be summoning narwhals on the moon and pounding mochi with the lunar bunnies.

Claptrap all the way.

Top Bottom