• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT2| You missed the Conference Call, next time don't Bee late.

madhtr

I really hate TVHM.... yeah, you get more expensive weapons for this point in the game, but it feels like the enemies are tougher, but the loot they drop is no better, if not worse, than what you got for this part of the game in the first playthrough.

It's just really frustrating taking out a Super Badass variant in TVHM and all you get is $128 and no loot drop.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate TVHM.... yeah, you get more expensive weapons for this point in the game, but it feels like the enemies are tougher, but the loot they drop is no better, if not worse, than what you got for this part of the game in the first playthrough.

It's just really frustrating taking out a Super Badass variant in TVHM and all you get is $128 and no loot drop.

My biggest problem with TVHM was playing it before I hit level 50; felt like most of my equipment did nothing to enemies but everything that dropped was unequippable so I couldn't upgrade. Then I hit level 50 and was able to equip an explosive 8000x16 shotgun and now I can one shot a bunch of enemies and all the rest of my upgraded weapons do pretty well for themselves.

::edit::
NM, mistook "TVHM" for "PT2.5"

madhtr

My biggest problem with TVHM was playing it before I hit level 50; felt like most of my equipment did nothing to enemies but everything that dropped was unequippable so I couldn't upgrade. Then I hit level 50 and was able to equip an explosive 8000x16 shotgun and now I can one shot a bunch of enemies and all the rest of my upgraded weapons do pretty well for themselves.

I'm a higher level than where I am, so I could equip, but the weapons dropped aren't better than what I have. On top of this, I still feel like my weapons do nothing. Just frustrating so far.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a higher level than where I am, so I could equip, but the weapons dropped aren't better than what I have. On top of this, I still feel like my weapons do nothing. Just frustrating so far.

My bad, I mistook TVHM for PT2.5, which was what I was talking about. TVHM I upgraded everything pretty quickly at the beginning but for the most part a friend and I just tried sprinting through all the quests as fast as we could, ignoring enemies up to the boss.

madhtr

My bad, I mistook TVHM for PT2.5, which was what I was talking about. TVHM I upgraded everything pretty quickly at the beginning but for the most part a friend and I just tried sprinting through all the quests as fast as we could, ignoring enemies up to the boss.

I finished pt1 at 41, and got most of my current weapons from using golden keys, so most of the weapons dropping are in the mid to high 30s, and all of them are worse than what I currently have. Just frustrating right now, is all.

barrin87

there is a glitch for that? how?!!!

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it or not, but here's the glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mq70C6WLtw

Someone in one of the threads mentioned that they've done it a few times since the most recent patch, so it hasn't been fixed yet.

That video does work but I prefer another video since it shows it much quicker and is an easier method for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTTLkqycac&feature=related‏

What the guy does not mention in the video that I posted is that once you hit both walls and start jumping, you do not need to crouch down. I just keep jumping while holding down the forward button. If you jump like normal, re-position your character a tiny bit and try again. You want to get your character to start jumping irregularly. If your character kind of gets stuck in the air, let go of the forward so he falls back down. Keep trying until you start to walk upward.

Everything else in the video is pretty self explanatory.

Based on the fact that some of those guns look like they'd be obtained via quests from Moxxi and Tiny Tina, I'm going to guess that the DLC won't be Underdome 2.0. Maybe a story that builds up to a guantlet/arena-style final quest?

If the new Seraph items are anything like the old ones, that'll be disappointing. Other than the Evolution, I didn't find any of them to be worth purchasing. Would love to see some new legendaries instead.

And that Angry Kitten AR looks pretty solid. Nice damage, accurate, good reload/fire rate.

madhtr

Ugh, I am just completely frustrated with this game... Enemies aren't dropping shit, and take full clips from my AR to take down right now... 241 bullet clip @ 2 per shot. I'm putting more into killing people as I am getting out.... Does TVHM get any better or should I just kill myself now?

I'm just coming in to take credit for the thread title. I'm not saying I'm tag fishing, I'm just fishing for tags.

But in all seriousness, I'm actually loving the difficulty progression in tvhm. I'm not having as many issues as others are (perhaps due to being based axton) and I feel like if I go from one story mission to the next I basically stay right on track to make it fun but still a real challenge. I never played bl 1, but I figured this game would be a cake walk, how wrong I was!.

Also, I finished the leviathan twice, the best piece of loot I got was a purple class mod in the Dr zed vendor haha. What bs...

madhtr

I'm just coming in to take credit for the thread title. I'm not saying I'm tag fishing, I'm just fishing for tags.

But in all seriousness, I'm actually loving the difficulty progression in tvhm. I'm not having as many issues as others are (perhaps due to being based axton) and I feel like if I go from one story mission to the next I basically stay right on track to make it fun but still a real challenge. I never played bl 1, but I figured this game would be a cake walk, how wrong I was!.

Also, I finished the leviathan twice, the best piece of loot I got was a purple class mod in the Dr zed vendor haha. What bs...

I think I'm just frustrated with the drop rates... It doesn't feel like you are rewarded for taking down these guys. I don't mind the difficulty much.

Tobe

yeah drop rates are pretty bad, i was playing TVHM and ran out of money, i looted the warrior in normal mode for at least 15 times? no oranges just purple shit. And TVHM hasnt been that good with loot either.

lately ive been using rocket launchers since most of my weapons i feel take too long to kill enemies, wasting 5~7 clips of an smg to kill a super badass loader aint fun. Now 1 slag rocket + 3 explosive rockets normally takes 95% of a 48 super badass.

madhtr

yeah drop rates are pretty bad, i was playing TVHM and ran out of money, i looted the warrior in normal mode for at least 15 times? no oranges just purple shit. And TVHM hasnt been that good with loot either.

lately ive been using rocket launchers since most of my weapons i feel take too long to kill enemies, wasting 5~7 clips of an smg to kill a super badass loader aint fun. Now 1 slag rocket + 3 explosive rockets normally takes 95% of a 48 super badass.

Yeah, I use clips on the regular enemies and then use launchers on Super Badass variants... and even that is 3 or 4 rockets atm for me, with 99k damage. I am level 43, only facing level 40 enemies. I feel like the drop rates were better in pt1, especially on bosses and sub-bosses.

barrin87

I think I'm just frustrated with the drop rates... It doesn't feel like you are rewarded for taking down these guys. I don't mind the difficulty much.

I would completely agree. The legendary drop rates in the game are so ridiculously low. I have killed the Warrior and Terramorphous around 50-100 times each and have gotten 2 legendary weapons and both were the Blood of Terramorphous. I have about 40 legendary weapons and about 35 of them are all from me farming the Leviathan's treasure room.

madhtr

I would completely agree. The legendary drop rates in the game are so ridiculously low. I have killed the Warrior and Terramorphous around 50-100 times each and have gotten 2 legendary weapons and both were the Blood of Terramorphous. I have about 40 legendary weapons and about 35 of them are all from me farming the Leviathan's treasure room.

I am only in, I think, chapter 8 of TVHM now and I have yet to see a weapon better than any of the ones I received from pt1. On top of this, it is a frustrating feeling to finally whittle down a Super Badass and get little to nothing. I will say, I got like 10 drops from a single boss recently, but that has been an exception.

I just hope I won't end this pt with a bad taste in my mouth, after paying for that season pass thing. Oh well, just keep on trucking, I guess.

FerranMG

I am only in, I think, chapter 8 of TVHM now and I have yet to see a weapon better than any of the ones I received from pt1. On top of this, it is a frustrating feeling to finally whittle down a Super Badass and get little to nothing. I will say, I got like 10 drops from a single boss recently, but that has been an exception.

I just hope I won't end this pt with a bad taste in my mouth, after paying for that season pass thing. Oh well, just keep on trucking, I guess.

The best weapons are found in TVHM (or PT2.5). And by "best" weapons I don't mean just the same weapons as in PT1 with better stats, but also with better and awesome modifiers.
I liked much, much more TVHM than PT1.

However, it's true that Super Badass guys feel like they should drop amazing stuff because they are, you know, badass, but they hardly do.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Just noticed from the Mr Torgue press release (November 20th YAY!) that the new DLC can be completed anywhere past level 15.

I only started Borderlands 2 last week as a Gunzerker and just dinged level 17. Should I just keep ploughing through the main campaign (I have been doing all side missions so I am not very far in) or should I dip into the Pirate Booty DLC now? Is the Pirate Booty DLC the same that it can be completed from level 15 onwards?

I feel like some of my weapons are massively under powered aside from what I have been picking up as quest rewards. I'm thinking that doing the DLC early should net me some shiny new weapons and I can come back to the campaign. But will I suffer from messing up the narrative and being massively over levelled for the main campaign when I come back to it?

Inskipp

First official news just hit on the Torgue- DLC. Here are the articles highlighting the new info- tidbits:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/16/mr-torgues-campaign-of-carnage-kicks-off-in-borderlands-2-next/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/16/fight-for-your-loot-in-borderlands-2s-torgue-dlc

Here are some keypoints I gathered:

• Release date is Nov 20th

• Tannis, Moxxi and Tiny Tina will make an appearance in the DLC.

• Plot is centered around a "new vault" that was recently discovered in Pandora. Torgue corporation decides to set up a tournament around it.

• The campaign will be a mix of the classical mission structure (story plots) and Moxxi's underdome (arenas) The articles give an image that there will be a heavy focus on the latter.

• There will be entirely new enemies, and old enemies reskinned accordingly.

• There will be a new currency in the game (Torgue Tokens), which can be scavenged from killed enemies. These can be used to purchase weapons from special vendors, which will always include a legendary item(orange- level) as "deal of the day"

• There will be a mechanized Dinosaur (named Badassaurus Rex).

E: Well damn, beaten twice. Oh well.

E2: IGN's article also includes video commentary.

Inskipp

no word of the level cap raising for the dlc, huh? thats a little disappointing...
It doesn't bother me, since it means that I can hold off from grinding more levels and re-obtaining all of my gear.

On a completely separate note, after inspecting IGN's video commentary again, I noticed that some of the prices for the Torgue- vendors got revealed:

• Blue Torgue- weapons were priced 57-141 tokens (most likely dependent on the weapon type)
  • One purple Torgue- rifle cost 124 tokens (based on the blue- pricing, this seems to be the "middle- area" for purple- pricing)
  • One orange grenade mod cost 613 tokens .

So with that in mind, it's clear that the prices are much more inflated than the seraph- crystal prices, which is probably why they set the tokens to drop from regular enemies (according to the articles, at least).

What interests me is the drop- rate for these tokens. If it's set very low (I'm talking 20~ per day, with dedicated farming), it will be just as sloggy of a grind as it is currently with the seraph- crystals, with these high prices. I feel like ifit's set out so a dedicated player can attain 60- 80 tokens per day, it might just be more feasible of a goal for the player to seek out.

Ever since the 1.2.0 patch the menu selection has been weird. Like, to select anything I have to point my cursor below it, not on it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mr. Fix

First official news just hit on the Torgue- DLC. Here are the articles highlighting the new info- tidbits:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/16/mr-torgues-campaign-of-carnage-kicks-off-in-borderlands-2-next/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/16/fight-for-your-loot-in-borderlands-2s-torgue-dlc

Here are some keypoints I gathered:

• Release date is Nov 20th

• Tannis, Moxxi and Tiny Tina will make an appearance in the DLC.

• Plot is centered around a "new vault" that was recently discovered in Pandora. Torgue corporation decides to set up a tournament around it.

• The campaign will be a mix of the classical mission structure (story plots) and Moxxi's underdome (arenas) The articles give an image that there will be a heavy focus on the latter.

• There will be entirely new enemies, and old enemies reskinned accordingly.

• There will be a new currency in the game (Torgue Tokens), which can be scavenged from killed enemies. These can be used to purchase weapons from special vendors, which will always include a legendary item(orange- level) as "deal of the day"

• There will be a mechanized Dinosaur (named Badassaurus Rex).

E: Well damn, beaten twice. Oh well.

E2: IGN's article also includes video commentary.

Damn. At least it has a plot going for it. And I seriously hope there's more than just 1 arena.

Damn. At least it has a plot going for it. And I seriously hope there's more than just 1 arena.
There are a few locations looking at the save editor. I'm not sure how many would contain the arenas.

XZVUY.jpg

Mr. Fix

There are a few locations looking at the save editor. I'm not sure how many would contain the arenas.

XZVUY.jpg

I'm still holding to the belief that there are more than one, but to scatter the arenas would be odd. Thanks for the list though, and my guess would be that there are intermissions where you'd do side quests in those areas, and beating the dlc campaign lets you access whichever arena you want.

MrDaravon

Honestly I'm a bit wary of this. Borderlands 2 is probably still my GOTY at the end of the day, but I felt pretty burned by the first DLC. The content was fine, but then everything surrounding the raid bosses (super glitchy, once per day, seraph weapons being shit) just wound up really bumming me out. I also didn't appreciate that we had no idea that DLC wasn't being made by Gearbox at the time, and I don't think this one was either. Combine that with the fact that this has (apparently) a lot of arena combat and I don't know. I've got the Season Pass, but I don't know that I'll even fuck with this for a while.

Naite

So the vending machines in the DLC only sell torgue guns? I don't know of a lot of people who like torgue weapons besides me, though having a guaranteed legendary in the item of the day is nice. I already have my Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold but that was one of the hardest orange guns for me to get.

Inskipp

Honestly I'm a bit wary of this. Borderlands 2 is probably still my GOTY at the end of the day, but I felt pretty burned by the first DLC. The content was fine, but then everything surrounding the raid bosses (super glitchy, once per day, seraph weapons being shit) just wound up really bumming me out. I also didn't appreciate that we had no idea that DLC wasn't being made by Gearbox at the time, and I don't think this one was either. Combine that with the fact that this has (apparently) a lot of arena combat and I don't know. I've got the Season Pass, but I don't know that I'll even fuck with this for a while.
I actually don't mind the concept of arena- combat. I enjoyed the constant flow of action that the slaughter- houses in BL2 pit me into. There have been examples of games having good arena- modes (Ratchet and Clank 2-3 pop in mind as old favorites), so there's definitely some potential here. I also don't mind if the smaller "over-world", since I don't think having long down-times due to traveling over vast areas would benefit the combatative/action- packed nature of the DLC. If they can keep the arena- fights tight/varied and the incentives worthy, it might work out.

That said however, there's always room for screwing up, but the initial concept and the ideas behind it have potential, in my opinion at least.

So the vending machines in the DLC only sell torgue guns? I don't know of a lot of people who like torgue weapons besides me, though having a guaranteed legendary in the item of the day is nice. I already have my Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold but that was one of the hardest orange guns for me to get.
Probably all Torgue for the blue/purple drops, which is kind of a shame. I would hope that the legendary- deals would include all the manufacturers, since having such a narrow library of legendaries available would just probably turn people off from bothering with the arenas, and just farm their respective bosses instead. (well, except for that weirdo who wants a Flakker really badly. For some reason.)

one_kill

After spending time on other games, it's good to be back to BL2. Can't wait for the DLC despite having bad loot.

The commentary did say there were new guns. Hopefully there's at least one new legendary.

Inskipp

Gamespot did a 16- minute video preview off the new dlc, showcasing more of the different areas in the game.

It also revealed that some enemies can be provoked to attack each other during fights, similar to how you can trigger Goliath's to attack their own buddies.

Pakkidis

So I just completed the game solo using zero going down the sniper tree. I have to say the sniper tree left a lot to be desired. After I completed the game I switched to cunning and my god what a difference. The problem with the sniper skill tree is that it is an all or nothing type of tree, i.e you either to mega damage with critical damage or you do very little damage at all.

The cunning skill tree is so much more versatile and makes use of deception so much better, and the final skill blows critical ascension out of the water.

As for the game, I thought it was fantastic from start to finish, albeit the ending was pretty bad and a disappointing last boss but for the most part the game was just a joy to play.

I was however a bit disappointed with the loot, all the orange weapons I found sucked, I even found white's that were better :(

Going to try gunzerker next.

My bread and butter gun is a 6100x16 torgue shotgun. Pairs amazing with Gaige. LOVE it.

legbone

The cunning skill tree is so much more versatile and makes use of deception so much better, and the final skill blows critical ascension out of the water.

Listen to this man/woman! Cunning tree is the shit. Those kunai wreck shit like no tomorrow. i scoff at badass constructors and take down the warrior on his third emergence from the lava. (i'm sure others do better but i don't have a conference call or a bee, that's why i'm still farming him. i desperately want a conference call). i'm running a hybrid cunning/sniper build (basically just got sniper down to bore, which is my favorite sniper skill) and it's basically easy mode.

Holy shit, on my tvhm first bunker attempt I was getting raped. So I hid near the waterfall and started taking potshots at him with my plasma caster. Then I said, fuck it, pulled out my level 30 bee and level 30 conference call and absolutely clobbered him. I've got a bunch of skills that raise my damage percentage, then when I throw out turrets I've got the battlefield skill which is raised up to 7/5 which gives a colossal damage output increase. O was doing so much damage I even farmed him a couple times haha.

But here is a question. A friend of mine on psn had the terramorphous quest up, so i joined him and we actually beat terra on the third try. He was a level 50 gunzerker, I was a level 46 commando but I basically did all the damage with the bee and the cc. He was so impressed btw haha. I got the slayer of terra class mod, but for commandos its kind of a weird mod, it gives 4 sentry skill, but what does that even do? And does anyone here think losing 3 points from battlefield is worth all of the extra health and all of the burn damage and all of the other little bonuses the mod provides? I don't really care if my aiming speed goes up, I wanna do that damage. I think I'll switch just due to the giant health boost, but yeah, any commandos with an opinion would be appreciated.

Edit: I just checked, the drop I got has the max burn damage and burn chance and pretty close to the top of the health boost. So based.

Pakkidis

Listen to this man/woman! Cunning tree is the shit. Those kunai wreck shit like no tomorrow. i scoff at badass constructors and take down the warrior on his third emergence from the lava. (i'm sure others do better but i don't have a conference call or a bee, that's why i'm still farming him. i desperately want a conference call). i'm running a hybrid cunning/sniper build (basically just got sniper down to bore, which is my favorite sniper skill) and it's basically easy mode.

Pretty much how I spec my character. It's a shame I waited to the bitter end to respec, sadly I was so far down the sniper tree I decided to tough it out until the end, only to be disappointed. Its really only the last 3 skills in the sniper tree that make good use of sniper weapons, everything other skill can be used by any weapon.

Any advice for a gunzerker, my heart is set on rampage skill tree but gunlust skill tree, specifically the last skill looks deadly.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is a follow-up to a post in the previous OT in which I stated I didn't like this game:

I started liking this game after
Brick showed up. Not because Brick showed up,
but because the plot threw away all the disgusting secondary characters to focus exclusively in the main crew and antagonist(s?). The new areas towards the end were also a lot cooler than anything in the original game.

So, alright. I give in. Borderlands 2 is cool in my book. Nicely done, Gearbox.

Now onto TVHM.

Naite

Any advice for a gunzerker, my heart is set on rampage skill tree but gunlust skill tree, specifically the last skill looks deadly.

I personally don't use that skill because I don't want to invest too much skills into Gunlust and the Keep It Piping Hot skill doesn't work at all when paired with certain cooldown skills. I heard people say overkill isn't good with certain weapons like shotguns.

Most people use some combination of Gunlust and Rampage skills. Money Shot is a must. Inconceivable has potential synergy with Money Shot, but most of the time it just prevents me from reaching the last shot in my magazine from coming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I've been in situations where I've gotten 10-15 extra shots off my jakobs revolver without having to reload.

I personally don't use that skill because I don't want to invest too much skills into Gunlust and the Keep It Piping Hot skill doesn't work at all when paired with certain cooldown skills. I heard people say overkill isn't good with certain weapons like shotguns.

Most people use some combination of Gunlust and Rampage skills. Money Shot is a must. Inconceivable has potential synergy with Money Shot, but most of the time it just prevents me from reaching the last shot in my magazine from coming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I've been in situations where I've gotten 10-15 extra shots off my jakobs revolver without having to reload.

that is a downside to that combo but sometimes you can pull off multiple money shots. some times I have done 5-6 in a row. crazy damage.

I find myself just building my skills around the best class mod i currently have. that will change when you hit 50 and start getting a nice choice of mods.

Top Bottom