• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

duckroll

So who's ready for 7 weeks of post-release DLC?! I think the final (?) DLC for the JP release hits this week. Sounds like it might be some sort of story DLC.

cj_iwakura

Save anywhere, anytime.

cit_touhou_-_iosys_overdrive_-_easy_modo.png

But seriously, if it gets more people to finish it, more power to them.

KarmaCow

A bit of an odd question but is there an option to mute voice overs and do you need to pay attention to the cutscenes and dialogue to know where to go?

Also does the game have something similar to Strange Journey where you can tweak your alignment through a repeatable quest?

Save anywhere, anytime.

Hard saves or temp saves?

Midou

So who's ready for 7 weeks of post-release DLC?! I think the final (?) DLC for the JP release hits this week. Sounds like it might be some sort of story DLC.

I got to 2nd Fire Emblem Awakening DLC before I got annoyed by it, I guess mostly because of how lazy it was and how overpowered I was by the time it came out, hope this is better, been keeping in the dark about this game.

FStop7

Banned
My first core SMT game. I hope I like it. Soul Hackers started off well but got kind of dry... I've set it aside for a couple of months. I'd like to finish it but it just never really hooked me in.

Giever

Looking forward to this game. Also curious to hear about this upcoming NA eShop deal with Fire Emblem: Awakening. (As far as I can tell, buy both get $30 back in credit, no press release on this yet)

(And yes, my 3DS is now charged! :p )

This devious deal (if it works how I assume/hope it will) is what's going to make me give in and purchase AA5 through the eShop. I was planning on avoiding it, at least temporarily, since I hate Nintendo's DD system, but if $30 of eShop spending money gets thrown at me just for buying games I wanted, I'm not sure there's much I can do but cave.

On topic, I can't wait for SMT IV. I've been hungry for more since finishing Strange Journey. It seems so long ago, now.

Midou

My first core SMT game. I hope I like it. Soul Hackers started off well but got kind of dry... I've set it aside for a couple of months. I'd like to finish it but it just never really hooked me in.

Yeah this is how it was for me, I got really into it for a few hours and I kind of force myself through an hour at a time on occasion but I'm not really motivated to go through it. I will go back to it one day though. I gave up on it a few weeks ago thinking I didn't want to burn myself out on dungeon crawlers in time for SMT4.

I also put off EO4 when Soul Hackers came out for the same reason, so I need to eventually get to EO4 as well.

Roubjon

I'm so glad Etrian Odyssey IV introduced me to first-Person dungeon crawlers. I'm so hyped for this it's CRAZY!

duckroll

I got to 2nd Fire Emblem Awakening DLC before I got annoyed by it, I guess mostly because of how lazy it was and how overpowered I was by the time it came out, hope this is better, been keeping in the dark about this game.

Doesn't sound much better. So far the Japanese DLC have been nickel and dime shit like 2 buck costumes and 3 buck "quests" which either involve exp/ap/macca farming drops, or special boss fights which unlock extra demon fusions. Typical Japanese RPG DLC. :(

Midou

Doesn't sound much better. So far the Japanese DLC have been nickel and dime shit like 2 buck costumes and 3 buck "quests" which either involve exp/ap/macca farming drops, or special boss fights which unlock extra demon fusions. Typical Japanese RPG DLC. :(

I suppose I should have expected something along those lines. Oh well, I can just ignore it then. If they do have one that is some kind of proper story addition then I may go for it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely hate these types of schedules, especially when the most important is saved for last.

Same thing happened with the FE dlc - by the time the (very good) story dlc came out as the last release, I was long done with the game |`Д´|

Gartooth

Shitshitshitshit still have to finish Soul Hackers! (plus a bunch of other games in my backog)

Because this is a mainline SMT game should I be more optimistic if I wait a bit to get a copy, or should I just pick one up even if I might not be able to get to it for a long time?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Shitshitshitshit still have to finish Soul Hackers! (plus a bunch of other games in my backog)

Because this is a mainline SMT game should I be more optimistic if I wait a bit to get a copy, or should I just pick one up even if I might not be able to get to it for a long time?
If you want the first print bonuses, get it sooner rather than later since presumably they'll stop including those eventually.

Midou

I would recommend getting it at launch purely for the first edition bonuses, it will still be $50 later but without the cool extra shit.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I have the game pre-ordered but I'm starting to lose my excitement over this. The lack of a physical manual is a real downer, and apparently there aren't even social links in this game? I hope when you get to Tokyo there's at least a high school somewhere, and you can make friends with a student council girl or a shy girl, or a passive aggressive tomboy.... T_T

10/10 would rage again.

I can't wait to be a Summer-eye.

CSX

Judging from all the impressions about the early part of the game, should we expect ten pages of "I died X times" when the game is out :p ?

ohlawd

holy cow that 30 bucks eShop credit thing is legit?

Been putting off buying FEA digitally so liek Nintendo must have been reading mah mind. Gonna be another AC situation where I play with the digital copy while SMTIV retail is there looking all nice and sexy on the side.

Not a bad deal karma. I had zero monies around E3, so that might explain it. :p

I'm wondering if I should buy Soul Hackers for now and wait on SMT4, maybe get a good deal on it down the road...

But it's SMT4!

:(

It has begun.

I'm going to do my best to finish Soul Hackers before this drops.

Not a bad deal karma. I had zero monies around E3, so that might explain it. :p

I'm wondering if I should buy Soul Hackers for now and wait on SMT4, maybe get a good deal on it down the road...

But it's SMT4!

:(

I'd wait for SMTIV and pick up Soul Hackers later.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Is this like Strange Journey/EO where you have to map out dungeons?
Strange Journey had some sequences where the map wasn't traced because you're wandering in darkness, but 95% of the game is automatically mapped on the bottom screen

pre order ready and waiting.

Excited to see the deal on the eShop
and ready to be disappointed as an owner of a physical copy of Fire Emblem

cj_iwakura

Very important question: is the audio balance better in this than Soul Hackers? Because you can barely hear a thing in Soul Hackers.

Li Kao

So JapanGaf, do the voiceovers / cinematics have subtitles ?
Pretty please Atlus, think about my shaky oral perception of English for once...

Not holding much hope, every fucking Persona game I played was pure voice ( ´°_°)
So much fun to watch a plot heavy movie while understanding maybe 1/3.

CSX

Please explain.

register FEA and SMT IV on club nintendo and you get 30 bucks of eshop money.

Deal was leaked early and got removed. Probably saving it for next week when SMTIV is out

Edit : apparently it has to be eshop purchases though which i guess heals the wounds of not getting the physical copy extras

Damnit, for some reason I spent my money on cube world (which is pretty bland) and now I don't have enough saved for this because I forgot. What the hell is wrong with me!?!?

Ken

Strange Journey had some sequences where the map wasn't traced because you're wandering in darkness, but 95% of the game is automatically mapped on the bottom screen

Referring to SJ or SMTIV?

I didn't complete SJ.

register FEA and SMT IV on club nintendo and you get 30 bucks of eshop money.

Deal was leaked early and got removed. Probably saving it for next week when SMTIV is out

I can buy them retail and register on club nintendo and still get the eshop credit?

Top Bottom