• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

J2 Cool

I just love modern gaming's fascination with taking old classic games and somehow fucking them up with ridiculous bugs that shouldn't exist. Ugly ass UI, music resetting, ass movement control. Just fuck my shit up, Square.

Eesh. Was just about to buy this, then checked into this thread :\

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Oh my fucking god. I zoned out of the wrong door in the Black Mage Vilage and that apparently is enough to screw me out of an ATE. Have to go all the way back to Fossil Roo now. Such bullshit.

Edit: Finally back. Only took an hour instead of 2 and a half with cheats and no exploring. Had to relearn a bunch of blue magic. Gave ore to a friendly monster the first time around, but he never showed this time. Found a pop quiz instead though.

SilverArrow20XX

Just met Eiko. No matter how much Garnet tries to deny it. She is in fact
legally Zidane's wife.

Are you guys using any guide to assure you don't miss trophies? Like for example the ATE trophy.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665159772

I'm using this one. It's clear and has pictures for almost everything. It's for the Steam version so it also has extra info. Like it always tells you when the last chance to get equipment that is needed for certain abilities is, so you won't miss the achievement for learning all abilities (which was removed from this version for some reason).

God, I hate the steal rates in this game almost as much as my insistence to steal every thing from every boss in this game. (Except for the Fairy Flute).

I just want your gloves, Black Waltz 3

SilverArrow20XX

So much detail can be seen now that these models are in HD. Just got to the scene with Kuja after
Alexandria is destroyed and he escapes on the Hilda Garde
. There's a lot of battle damage detail on his model in this scene that I never noticed before. He's covered in dirt and his clothes are tattered.

So much detail can be seen now that these models are in HD. Just got to the scene with Kuja after
Alexandria is destroyed and he escapes on the Hilda Garde
. There's a lot of battle damage detail on his model in this scene that I never noticed before. He's covered in dirt and his clothes are tattered.

It's not even the little details. For the longest time I had somehow convinced myself that the fang enemy looks completely different and looking at it now I have no idea how I came to that conclusion other than it being at a much lower resolution.

Basically, I thought its ears were eyes.

kromeo

God, I hate the steal rates in this game almost as much as my insistence to steal every thing from every boss in this game. (Except for the Fairy Flute).

I just want your gloves, Black Waltz 3

It's annoying because you have to hold back on bosses for ages until you've stolen everything, which takes far longer than actually killing them

I think I tried for like 2 hours to get the flute once before I finally gave up, never again

Talax

They did fix the missing monster sound effects for this version. Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this. Hopefully some other sound and animation bugs are fixed. Eyes still stay opened when casting though.

Also. I didn't brag enough in the previous thread so I'll post this again lol. Got it on my first try this morning after 3 hours of not getting passed 330 yesterday.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

"Peeling 1,000 onions makes your eyes teary. Jump-roping 1,000 times gets them tearier still."
-Onionmeister

I was just about to post in this thread saying that no one will get platinum in this game because of this trophy and now I see this......are you even human!?!?

I just don't know what to do. I'd love to get this game and go for the platinum, but I can't overlook the bugs. I'm hoping Square will patch them, but I hoped they'd do the same with FFVII too, and they never did. Maybe I should just replay the PS3 version.

I was just about to post in this thread saying that no one will get platinum in this game because of this trophy and now I see this......are you even human!?!?
Not trying to brag, just giving perspective, I've completed 1k jump ropes on 3 separate playthroughs of the game, so once you 'get' it, it's not too bad. Still a terrible trophy tho.

FTF

Started it over the weekend and played for a few hours. It's almost better than I remember and the music and feel of the world, etc is just so, so good.

It's annoying because you have to hold back on bosses for ages until you've stolen everything, which takes far longer than actually killing them

I think I tried for like 2 hours to get the flute once before I finally gave up, never again

Stealing from Beatrix sure isn't fun with the 10 turn limit. The Auto Save and Continue options to help somewhat at least, but it's still such a paiiiin.

EDIT: Holy hell, just checked the wiki, 0.39% to steal the Mythril Sword from Beatrix, same as the the Fairy Flute. But I've been successful in stealing the sword before (I think). Nonetheless, stealing rates in this game are insane.

...I'll give it five more goes before I just move on with the game.

Neil

Am I right in thinking it's only the boosts from the Config menu which disable trophies?

IE - Battle Assistance, 9999 attacks are OK in this respect?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly looking at the upgrade in character models makes me want FFVIII even more, even more so with how good the FMV has turn out.
Shame the backgrounds look like shit
But FFVIII should look great

Rainy

Banned
So if I've never played FF9 before is this version worth it? This thread doesn't have a lot of glowing opinions of the port.

sotojuan

So if I've never played FF9 before is this version worth it? This thread doesn't have a lot of glowing opinions of the port.

The port isn't the best but it doesn't have any gamebreaking issues. The game itself is still amazing.

SilverArrow20XX

It's good. The lack of analogue stick control is by far the worst part of the port. You can only move in 8 directions like in FFVII, but in the PSX version you had free 360 degree movement.

The battle UI is also huge. It takes up over a third of the screen when you're scrolling through menus during battle. This is really annoying because you can't see behind it. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker though.

Otherwise there are some minor missing texture, and animation issues. Like, the stop spell animation is missing the clock in the middle of the VFX.

The HD models are more than worth it though I think. The cheats are also nice for grinding. If they'd fix the analogue movement I'd not hesitate to call this the definitive version.

Rainy

Banned
The port isn't the best but it doesn't have any gamebreaking issues. The game itself is still amazing.

It's good. The lack of analogue stick control is by far the worst part of the port. You can only move in 8 directions like in FFVII, but in the PSX version you had free 360 degree movement.

The battle UI is also huge. It takes up over a third of the screen when you're scrolling through menus during battle. This is really annoying because you can't see behind it. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker though.

Otherwise there are some minor missing texture, and animation issues. Like, the stop spell animation is missing the clock in the middle of the VFX.

The HD models are more than worth it though I think. The cheats are also nice for grinding. If they'd fix the analogue movement I'd not hesitate to call this the definitive version.

Thanks! I'll probably pick it up then. What exactly are the cheats? And I'm guessing they prevent you from getting trophies correct?

AgeEighty

All things considered it's actually a very well done port, it's just that the few flaws with it can be glaring ones, like the lack of full analog movement. You might not even notice this if you've never played the game before.

Also some of the complaining is about stuff like the background resolution for which there is no easy fix.

Thanks! I'll probably pick it up then. What exactly are the cheats? And I'm guessing they prevent you from getting trophies correct?

Cheats similar to the FF7 rerelease. Some of them are fine to use without worrying about trophies, but others aren't. The ones that aren't are explicitly labeled as such in the Config menu as well.

SilverArrow20XX

Just got past the final save point (I think) and entered the Crystal World. Gonna nab the last few Blue Magic spells from the crystal fiends here and then backtrack out of this dungeon and tackle the end game.

Seijuro

I also made the plunge and bought it since it won't be discounted much longer (and am in need of a new theme for when my PS4 runs idle)

First timer since I never got around to it back in the day. Very excited. Any recommendations which cheats I can/should use for a first run?

SilverArrow20XX

Just booted up my PS4 and noticed that my top FFIX trophy is Movie Critic and not Hail to the King. That's right. 1,000 Jump-ropes is not the rarest trophy.......for now.

Minamu

My gf used to play this game with her father as a kid. I kinda want to replay it with her but this version seems a bit meh. I have two original game copies, ntsc and pal, they won't work in the ps4 yeah? But they should be fine in a regular pal ps3, for the original pal at least? She doesn't care for trophies and such.

Edit: Granted, maybe a ps1 game would look a bit grainy on a hdtv anyway? Suggests this ps4 version is better after all?

I also made the plunge and bought it since it won't be discounted much longer (and am in need of a new theme for when my PS4 runs idle)

First timer since I never got around to it back in the day. Very excited. Any recommendations which cheats I can/should use for a first run?

You really shouldn't need any. Once you get a feel for the combat you can use triple speed. Might help when you are trying to steal a lot too.

Don't be upset if you die a few times in the first few hours.

rjinaz

Stealing from Beatrix sure isn't fun with the 10 turn limit. The Auto Save and Continue options to help somewhat at least, but it's still such a paiiiin.

EDIT: Holy hell, just checked the wiki, 0.39% to steal the Mythril Sword from Beatrix, same as the the Fairy Flute. But I've been successful in stealing the sword before (I think). Nonetheless, stealing rates in this game are insane.

...I'll give it five more goes before I just move on with the game.

Wow you know I always wondered why the fairy flute was the only item I could never manage to steal. Took over 10 years, but now I know.

Murkas

Can finally fix my shit luck from 16 years ago, borrowed ff9 from a friend, played and enjoyed the shit out of it. Completed disc 3, smacked in disc 4 and was waiting with glee, waiting , waiting......

Looked at the disc and it looked like a toddler went to town on it with a set of keys. Swore the game off ever since, until now.

Can any one explain why I got destroyed by the first boss (plant spider thing that was guarding Garnet)? It would fuck my whole team with thunder, Vivi couldn't survive a single hit at all.

Was I under levelled? I was lvl1 at the time but I didn't get into any fights so was I just too lucky with the random encounters, not getting into fights so no xp?

Grinded the bit outside until everyone was like level 4 and it was smooth sailing after that but I can't help but feel maybe I was doing something wrong at the time...

rjinaz

Fairy Flute took me 2 hours from way back. I think I already ran out of Ethers.

I think the longest I ever tried was about an hour. But really if you combine it with the multiple times I played it was probably several hours and never did I manage to get it. I thought I had the worst luck in the world just on that one boss.

I don't know about Beatrix. I must have gotten the sword at least once or I would remember it being hard.

Firebrand

My gf used to play this game with her father as a kid. I kinda want to replay it with her but this version seems a bit meh. I have two original game copies, ntsc and pal, they won't work in the ps4 yeah? But they should be fine in a regular pal ps3, for the original pal at least? She doesn't care for trophies and such.

Edit: Granted, maybe a ps1 game would look a bit grainy on a hdtv anyway? Suggests this ps4 version is better after all?

Doesn't the PAL version run slower and with the wrong aspect ratio?

Nose Master

Can finally fix my shit luck from 16 years ago, borrowed ff9 from a friend, played and enjoyed the shit out of it. Completed disc 3, smacked in disc 4 and was waiting with glee, waiting , waiting......

Looked at the disc and it looked like a toddler went to town on it with a set of keys. Swore the game off ever since, until now.

Can any one explain why I got destroyed by the first boss (plant spider thing that was guarding Garnet)? It would fuck my whole team with thunder, Vivi couldn't survive a single hit at all.

Was I under levelled? I was lvl1 at the time but I didn't get into any fights so was I just too lucky with the random encounters, not getting into fights so no xp?

Grinded the bit outside until everyone was like level 4 and it was smooth sailing after that but I can't help but feel maybe I was doing something wrong at the time...

That boss is a bit weird. There's like, two random battles before you get to it. I assume they realized you needed to grind a bit and that's why the HP/MP fountain is right there.

Honestly looking at the upgrade in character models makes me want FFVIII even more, even more so with how good the FMV has turn out.
Shame the backgrounds look like shit
But FFVIII should look great

If FF8 gets a mobile/ps4 port the same of the Steam release, the character models won't be improved. The FF8 Steam release, like FF7 is simply a dust-off of the old Eidos PC port. FF9 didn't get one of those, so its port is "brand new". It's possible because of the layover without a mobile/ps4 release that they'll go back and give 8 some extra polish, but far from a guarantee.

Just booted up my PS4 and noticed that my top FFIX trophy is Movie Critic and not Hail to the King. That's right. 1,000 Jump-ropes is not the rarest trophy.......for now.

The rarest trophies on the Steam version by a country mile are 10k kills followed by Movie Critic. Hail to the King I don't think is even Top 5.

SilverArrow20XX

The rarest trophies on the Steam version by a country mile are 10k kills followed by Movie Critic. Hail to the King I don't think is even Top 5.

Yeah. Most PC players cheated though. Movie Critic and 10,000 kills are both at 0.1% now and Hail to the King is at 0.2%. I wouldn't be surprised if Hail to the King overtakes Movie Critic again since I feel a lot of players like to make sure they don't miss any story and are more likely to care about ATEs.

I don't expect 10,000 kills to be dethroned though. I wonder if I'll have everybody to 99 before that pops....

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I am reminded of the worst part of the game.
The "red light green light" game with Cid and the Hedgehog Pie.
It's way too nerve-wracking, way too slow, and not a fun part of the game.

SilverArrow20XX

Just had a scare with what I thought may have been a game ruining bug.

I was zoning in and out of Alexandria with my gold chocobo, trying to get the Air Garden to spawn near there. Eventually I dismounted too close to the town and it was seemingly impossible to mount the chocobo because it was completely encompassed by the "enter town by pressing X" zone. Thought I was gonna lose almost a whole day's progress and all of my chocobo progression.

Luckily, I discovered that if you hold the direction to continuously walk into the chocobo and then press X it overrides the town zone.

You can easily cheat the rope jumping on PC, though. On PS4 you are shit out of luck.

Yeah. Most PC players cheated though. Movie Critic and 10,000 kills are both at 0.1% now and Hail to the King is at 0.2%. I wouldn't be surprised if Hail to the King overtakes Movie Critic again since I feel a lot of players like to make sure they don't miss any story and are more likely to care about ATEs.

I don't expect 10,000 kills to be dethroned though. I wonder if I'll have everybody to 99 before that pops....

Very true, did fail to mention that this time (and I totally did use a macro for it).

Game hasn't been out lomg on PS4 yet, so give movie critic a bit more time. Though I'm curious how the PS4 ratios will also compare to the Trance for the first time trophy, which is only 60-something % on PC.

SilverArrow20XX

Very true, did fail to mention that this time (and I totally did use a macro for it).

Game hasn't been out lomg on PS4 yet, so give movie critic a bit more time. Though I'm curious how the PS4 ratios will also compare to the Trance for the first time trophy, which is only 60-something % on PC.

First time Trance was one of the many trophies that were removed. There's only the 50 Trance one. I'm surprised the 10k enemies one is still there actually. They removed the 100 and 1000 enemy trophies and most of the tedious grind trophies like "Use 100 Blue Magic" or "Defend 100 times". This version is extremely end game weighted as far as trophies go. Individual trophies for almost every end game weapon. (No Ragnarok Trophy for whatever reason).

Top Bottom