• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

xaosslug

qJyg10a.jpg
GTVjzOx.jpg
boP2rlZ.jpg
ggfldUN.jpg
MpmOhqY.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
86% It
eptv7.gif
34% Home Again
8mB0Q.gif
39% The Hitman's Bodyguard
8vteV.gif
68% Annabelle: Creation
0hJB1.gif
86% Wind River

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Stephen King's ‘It' Smashes Records With Massive $117 Million Opening

”It" came; ”It" saw; ”It" conquered.

The New Line and Warner Bros. adaptation of Stephen King's novel is officially shattering box office records during its opening weekend. The R-rated horror film should make a whopping $117.2 million from 4,103 locations, far surpassing earlier expectations. That would give ”It" the third largest opening weekend of 2017, about even with ”Spider-Man: Homecoming," which made $117 million. Only ”Beauty and the Beast" and ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" earned more this year. $7.2 million of ”It's" domestic grosses are coming from 377 Imax screens.

”It" earned a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 87% and a B+ CinemaScore. Its gender breakdown is reportedly 51% female and 49% male. About two thirds of the audience has been over 25 years old.

”It's" opening is mostly unprecedented, crushing the record for largest September opening set by ”Hotel Transylvania 2" in 2015 with $48.5 million, and the biggest opening weekend banked by a horror or supernatural film — ”Paranormal Activity 3" earned $52.6 million in 2011. When it comes to R-rated movie openings, ”It" falls only to ”Deadpool," which changed the game in 2016 with a massive $132.4 million opening. This, during a weekend when Hurricane Irma threatens huge portions of Florida and Georgia, which could dent attendance by as much as 5%.

In addition to its domestic grosses, the horror hit is expected to pull in $62 million from 46 markets overseas, giving ”It" a $179 million global debut. That's a huge win for a movie with an estimated $35 million production budget.

The movie comes courtesy of Argentine director Andy Muschietti, who is known for the 2013 horror film ”Mama." Bill Skarsgard stars as Pennywise the Clown, which terrorizes young children in Derry, Maine. The rest of the cast includes youngsters Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, Jack Dylan Grazer, Nicholas Hamilton, and Jackson Robert Scott in supporting roles.

For the movie business, ”It" couldn't have come at a better time. Following a dismal summer box office that plunged 14.6% from last summer to $3.8 billion, ”It" serves in part as the pick-me-up the industry was desperately craving. A sequel is already in the works at New Line with Gary Dauberman attached to write the script, and Muschietti expected to return to the director's chair.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Penguin

Ha well so much for my prediction that It would break the Sept record than have that record broken by Kingsman.

Go It!

Great opening for It. Was expecting at most $70 million so it definitely surpassed my expectations.

September officially out of the toilet bowl for movies now.

So WB is seriously undershooting the estimate by probably a good 4-5mil, if not a little bit more.

I dont think this is going to have regular horror legs, either. I don't think it's gonna be Wonder Woman legs, but the word of mouth is sky high, and (anecdotal evidence alert) I was at the supermarket last night and I'm not lying, one of the employees and two other shoppers were in the beer aisle talking about this movie, and they were all talking about seeing it twice. Like, they hadn't seen it once yet, and they were each discussing the way they would have to get two screenings in to get all the friends they wanted to see it with in the theater.

I think we're looking at a 2.5 - 2.75 OW multiplier here.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Awesome stuff. One of the best films I've seen this year, best horror film since The Witch, and one of the best King adaptations.

berzeli

Banned
That It opening is just insane, it's going to end up 2x its tracking.

Also since I was slightly too slow and it ended up in the last thread:
In Paramount Doom Watch™ news:
Paramount CEO: Still Waiting For Huahua Cash, But With A “Replacement” Plan
Viacom’s Paramount Pictures is still waiting for an overdue payment from China’s Huahua Media — part of a $1 billion, three-year film finance deal made this year — studio CEO Jim Gianopulos told an investor group today. But “very shortly, we’ll know” whether it’s coming, he said. And, if it isn’t, then Paramount could “replace it in a timely and immediate fashion.” Gianopulos made the remarks at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2017 Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference.
In non-Paramount Doom Watch™ news:
Wyck Godfrey Is Named Paramount Pictures Motion Picture Group President
After working in the business for 20 years, both as a producer and creative executive, Wyck Godfrey has been tapped to replace Marc Evans as Motion Picture Group President at Paramount Pictures. He will begin his job in January. Evans, as Deadline reported last night, is seguing into a producing deal. Godfrey comes to the job after a prolific run as producer and partner with Marty Bowen in Temple Hill. His producing credits include The Maze Runner and Twilight Saga franchises, the latter of which was dropped by Paramount.
Godfrey also produced: Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars. Basically what I'm saying is that don't be shocked if Paramount announces a YA adaptation in the near future.

Well deserved

This has been a stacked year, and even with that in mind, and even with my expectations, it blew them all away. Only reason this isn't a lock for my fav film of the year is because mother! comes out Friday

I think focusing on just the production budget is misleading these days. The budget probably jumps over 100M if you factor advertising.

But advertising budgets at a studio are slippery things as well. Often the studio has a marketing budget set out for the whole year, not earmarked for individual films, and that marketing can be (and often is) offset by partnerships and sponsors, which also leads to an inaccurate picture of how much a studio spent on selling the movie (and themselves). I'd argue that trying to factor in advertising/marketing is harder "these days" than it would have been "back in the days" or whatever.

Focusing on the production budget makes the most sense because that way we're focused specifically on how much money the studio spent to get the film created and finished.

This is an inherently rigged game no matter what. The trick is just narrowing the amount of bullshit to manageable, consistent levels.

Cvie

So WB is seriously undershooting the estimate by probably a good 4-5mil, if not a little bit more.

I dont think this is going to have regular horror legs, either. I don't think it's gonna be Wonder Woman legs, but the word of mouth is sky high, and (anecdotal evidence alert) I was at the supermarket last night and I'm not lying, one of the employees and two other shoppers were in the beer aisle talking about this movie, and they were all talking about seeing it twice. Like, they hadn't seen it once yet, and they were each discussing the way they would have to get two screenings in to get all the friends they wanted to see it with in the theater.

I think we're looking at a 2.5 - 2.75 OW multiplier here.

Halloween season business might give it some good holds too looking ahead.

Halloween season business might give it some good holds too looking ahead.

That's two months out though. Even with good legs, getting to Halloween without losing a lot of screens and momentum is going to be pretty tough.

I could see a re-expansion for that weekend, though.

Does WB have anything in that slot already?

That's two months out though. Even with good legs, getting to Halloween without losing a lot of screens and momentum is going to be pretty tough.

No idea about WB, but Jigsaw looks well timed.

Deception

IT shows in just about every theatre in Chicago have been sold out, and went to my local AMC theatres and both of them had lines out the door for every movie time. Hoping I finally get to see it today after not being able to find a non-sold out showtime.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $1.006B
Spider-Man Homecoming - $823M ($71M opening in China)
Wonder Woman - $816M
Dunkirk - $492M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $370M
Cars 3 - $350M
Annabelle Creation - $280M
Baby Driver - $214M (now > the rest of Edgar Wright's films combined worldwide)
IT - $179M
The Emoji Movie - $171M
The Dark Tower - $107M
Atomic Blonde - $94M

Draconian

I think Geostorm is on the 20th.

They're releasing Geostorm the 20th. I'm sure they won't want to kneecap it's run.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $816M
Dunkirk - $492M
Cars 3 - $350M
IT - $179M

Yay Spidey!

Anth0ny

they'd be insane not to.

Pharaun

Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $816M
Dunkirk - $492M
Cars 3 - $350M
Baby Driver - $214M (now > the rest of Edgar Wright's films combined worldwide)
IT - $179M
The Emoji Movie - $171M
The Dark Tower - $107M
Atomic Blonde - $94M

Does Spider-Man still need to open in Japan, or is it out in all markets now?

kswiston

Does Spider-Man still need to open in Japan, or is it out in all markets now?

I think it is open everywhere now.

Homecoming has a shot at $900M worldwide, depending on the rest of the run in China. Even if Chinese legs are bad, it will top Guardians to take the #2 spot this summer worldwide.

Dunkirk took a steep drop in China this weekend, but it is now close enough to that $500M mark to pass it with holdover business in the next week or two.

Top Bottom