• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Fhtagn

The advantage of Note over iPhone is it can continue with most of the the already opened apps running in the background, while iPhone close them. This is thanks to the 6 GB of RAM on Note vs 3 on iPhone.

In a practical use, you can play a game, pause and see WhatsApp, them see some pictures on Instagram, look another software and back to your game exactly where you stop without a new load in any of these apps.

The odd thing there is that iOS usually crushes Android on that exact test; the launch tests last year had the 7+ lapping the competition in the second round. My iPad Pro can keep apps open for days in the background while I use a half dozen other apps in the meantime. It was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded from an Air.

DOWN

Banned

I feel like everytime Microsoft invents something, no one notices.
They didn’t invent this at all. Motorola started the Webtop/phone dock in 2011, but killed it off because nobody liked the concept in weak phones back then.

OEM

Apple silicon team is world class.

iOS though, if it wasn't so bad I would love to get iPhone.

I mean you can't even arrange icons the way you want on your home screen. Come on Apple

Guess Who

Banned
So they did like two completely synthetic benchmarks, then claim it is 50% faster than all other smartphones and even faster than a cpu with 15 watt TDP, that's just wanting some fast clicks. Benchmarks always favor certain aspects over another (some benchmark for example, calculate fps powering the whole screen, but due to a different resolution lower resolutions might getter a better score because they power less pixels) and we do not know how much power the CPU was using at the time of the benchmark and if it was sustainable for longer periods. And is the video converting software even the same application? It's better to wait and see more detailed benchmarks to get a complete picture.

Geekbench is a pretty known quantity. It's a pure CPU benchmark (aka, screen resolution has no bearing) that's designed to be comparable across multiple platforms and architectures. If an iPhone gets a score comparable to a dual-core Kaby Lake i7, that means - pure and simple - it ran the CPU tests as well as that Kaby Lake. However, as a Geekbench staffer noted in the article in the OP, Geekbench doesn't really account for sustained performance over a long period of time (where most phones will usually choke compared to laptops due to being passively cooled).

It is also just one benchmark, and it is of course synthetic and obviously doesn't mean "the iPhone 8 is going to do every real task twice as fast as a Note 8." I suspect the A11 is considerably faster than current Snapdragons, because Apple has just been lapping the competition in the SoC space for years, but these comparisons in this article are a bit lacking. 4K movie exporting, for instance, is a god-awful benchmark. It's extremely unlikely the same software was used for the export, and moreover, most phone SoCs have dedicated video encoder hardware for this task, so this doesn't really test the CPU itself if that's what you're trying to do (though if one device's video encoder is faster than the other, that's still a notable real world performance difference).

Futureman

Performance is still the best reason to stick with an iPhone.

I don't think so. As others have said in here, these chips are overkill for most smartphone users. They are great for Apple going forward for stuff like iPad, Apple TV and probably eventually in Macs.

I have an S7 and zero performance issues.

bionic77

It will never happen but if Nintendo could buy Apple chips and put them in a Switch 2 I wonder how close it would be compared to a PS4, etc.

Cipherr

8 gb of RAM in a fucking phone!? WHY?!

As someone who has been discussing smart devices on GAF for.... hell maybe 6 years maybe a bit less, reading this is hilarious.

It was once the same question about 2GB, maybe even 1GB.

And I certainly remember the "No one needs 720p on a smartphone screen" and the "5 inch screens are complete overkill, just buy a tablet idiots".

Same folks are always happy as hell about their clear crystal HD screens and improved multitasking capabilities and large screen options years later. Trust me. That will be you pretty soon.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It will never happen but if Nintendo could buy Apple chips and put them in a Switch 2 I wonder how close it would be compared to a PS4, etc.

The TX1 still trades blows with the A11 on the GPU department. The A11 should be more power efficient, though.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I don't really care. Phone upgrades are more, to me, about OS improvements and features than power. I have a Pixel XL and have never really felt it handles something too slow. I'm perfectly content with the speed. I only wish Google would support it for more then 2 years -_-

BDGAME

The odd thing there is that iOS usually crushes Android on that exact test; the launch tests last year had the 7+ lapping the competition in the second round. My iPad Pro can keep apps open for days in the background while I use a half dozen other apps in the meantime. It was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded from an Air.

For that test, Samsung don't want to repeat what happens last year and invest to maintain more apps on a open state.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am still confused about the relative price/perf between the 8 and the X. In theory it's a couple of hundred dollars more, but is it a couple of hundred dollars better? I'm in the market for an upgrade anyway, and I'm leaning towards the X in large part because it's "only" a couple of hundred bucks, but also the camera.

Am I doing it wrong?

nullref

Honestly, I'm at the point where I don't really care. Phone upgrades are more, to me, about OS improvements and features than power.

The faster today's phones are, the faster the baseline phones are years from now, which potentially enables OS improvements and features that wouldn't be feasible without that performance.

I am still confused about the relative price/perf between the 8 and the X.

It's the same chip. It should be roughly the same, unless they've done something surprising with the clock speeds or RAM. The main reason to pay more for the X is for the screen and design (and slightly better cameras, I think).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am still confused about the relative price/perf between the 8 and the X. In theory it's a couple of hundred dollars more, but is it a couple of hundred dollars better? I'm in the market for an upgrade anyway, and I'm leaning towards the X in large part because it's "only" a couple of hundred bucks, but also the camera.

Am I doing it wrong?

reports on the X indicate that apple is actually holding a lower margin on it. so it would seem the price of the screen and FaceID tech indeed seems to come at ~$300 difference. if that's worth it to you or not is a different story..

Kthulhu

It is pretty impressive. Shame it's stuck in phones and tablets.

You mean Windows phones ;)

And the note 8, s8, and s8+

How long do people think it would take for Apple to start making chips for their computers? And how long before it's better than Intel's offerings in terms of performance/power consumption?

It'll be interesting to see.

I doubt they'd do this anytime soon. It'd require porting MacOS to run on ARM chips and old applications would also need to be ported.

DOWN

Banned

Am I doing it wrong?
It’s advantages are more aesthetic. Form factor OLED screen, screen shape, resolution is higher, better cameras on front and back, different looking. Internally they can both handle iOS just about the same.

If the screen and having maxed out cameras dazzle you, then X may be worth the jump. If you are fine with what basically is a 7S, the iPhone 8 is good enough.

Guess Who

Banned

Am I doing it wrong?

Performance-wise the X will be essentially identical to an 8 Plus. Same SoC, same RAM, comparable resolutions (note, the 8 Plus has a 1080p screen but renders everything internally at a higher resolution, so it's a higher GPU workload more comparable to the X's resolution).

The benefits of the X are Face ID and face tracking tech (enabling features like Animojis), a better OLED display, and a better rear camera.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The iPhone 7 scores 38k or so compared to the 8 which scores 62k+.

The 38k is the aggregate score, 62k is the graphics score for the particular test. For Ice Storm Unlimited, the A10 and the A11 show very similar scores for the GPU. But the slingshot test gives the advantage to the A11 of about 25%.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
This has been the case for a while now. As tempted as I am, I still won't switch because I'm way more productive on Android than on iOS, which takes way too many steps to do something basic.

mackattk

Am I doing it wrong?

Biggest thing to me with the X is the screen. OLED is a huge improvement over LCD, plus an increase in resolution. I am still on the edge about the face unlock stuff, will see how that turns out. I am not planning on buying either at this moment though. Will wait for my Moto Z Play to turn to shit.

borghe

It is pretty impressive. Shame it's stuck in phones and tablets.

And the note 8, so, and s8+

I mean you CAN plug iphone into a TV... they just charge $30 for the dongle. (and nobody plugs their phones into TVs..)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Am I doing it wrong?

When you're buying pro level stuff, you pay a lot more "per pound" for that extra bit of performance. It's not necessarily a linear scale. If you need it, you need it, and a couple of hundred dollars extra is nothing compared to the productivity gained.

You're doing it right.

mcfrank

Am I doing it wrong?

Camera is deciding factor for me. Worth the extra 300 over the 8. 8+ is a non factor for me due to size.

Servbot24

Banned
Apple silicon team is world class.

iOS though, if it wasn't so bad I would love to get iPhone.

I mean you can't even arrange icons the way you want on your home screen. Come on Apple

What do you means by this? You can arrange them however you want. (In a grid of course)

Kthulhu

I mean you CAN plug iphone into a TV... they just charge $30 for the dongle. (and nobody plugs their phones into TVs..)

Yeah, but it doesn't turn into a computer, though I wouldn't be shocked if that's where we're heading for mainstream consumers.

Power users and buissness will probably stick with traditional desktops and laptops.

KHarvey16

The 38k is the aggregate score, 62k is the graphics score for the particular test. For Ice Storm Unlimited, the A10 and the A11 show very similar scores for the GPU. But the slingshot test gives the advantage to the A11 of about 25%.

38k and 62k are both the scores reported in the Tom’s articles and shown in their graphics. Both are aggregate.

Look at the S8 score in the Time review of the iPhone 8. That is the aggregate.

subrock

Am I doing it wrong?

Comparison points for me

- image stabilization on both rear lenses
- better front facing camera with depth sensing
- smaller size with bigger screen

does this mean candy crush type game will be better? does speed actually sell a phone when many use to just browse the Internet where a lot of websites are already designed for slow phones in mind?

i don't see the upside to a faster phone when there's plenty of fast phones for the content that's available to it.

mcfrank

does this mean candy crush type game will be better? does speed actually sell a phone when many use to just browse the Internet where a lot of websites are already designed for slow phones in mind?

i don't see the upside to a faster phone when there's plenty of fast phones for the content that's available to it.

These speeds allow for things like 4K/60, portrait lighting, and many other things people will do on their phones every day. Phones getting faster improves the whole experience.

borghe

basically 5 years from now, users in the market for a new $200-400 phone will appreciate that 5 years earlier chips like this came to market. the same way that "plenty of fast phones exist now" because 3 years ago phones with that level of tech cost $650-900.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So then you're here why? Do you enter a pizza thread and say "as long as pizzas consist of dough, cheese and sauce, I will continue to hate pizzas"?

My point was that great hardware is irrelevant if it's running bad software. I happen to think iOS is bad software.

I don't think your pizza analogy really holds up, as I would consider the iPhone to be a brand of pizza. If there was a thread along the lines of "Pizza Hut announces new pizza that you eat raw so you get it faster", I would probably pop in to say that I was not interested in it.

mrkgoo

It probably doesn't translate much to the average casual user.

But to power users (lol hate that term) and people who just want to show off (and there are lots!) it does mean something.

Thing is, it actually DOES mean something to even the casual user - they just don't know it - future iterations of software and features are less likely to bog down their device with upgrades. Also general user smoothness just translates to a better experience for everyone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Metal (2) is solid. People need to get over it. Yes, apple created their own graphics HAL. Move on.
Metal will be fine. The way they handled OpenCL, though.. Apple can and do missteps. Their A series is most definitely not one of them, though. Their GPUs are a wildcard so far. We shall see.

Top Bottom