• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are non-comic book reading people still stuck with 90's Image Comics image?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
As a non-comic book reader I thought this was about the images on the front of comic books in general...so I don't think most people know even what image is. I would guess most people know about Marvel and DC and maybe Darkhorse (I only know of them because of that Hancock movie). I would also say most people just associate anything not DC or Marvel as just being published by itself. Had no idea Walking Dead was apart of Imagine Comics, and that is only comic I read.

well originally Image comics was started by 5 comic book artists. So yeah they looked great at first. Except for Rob Liefeld of course

but then they just got over the top bad with sooo much spandex.

issue-2.jpg

I keep staring at this trying to figure out what's going on with the gun. The blast coming out of the direction it's pointed in would have to be the most recent shot, yet it's also somehow the one that's traveled the furthest.

Definitely need to second Lazarus, probably one of my favorite fictional dystopias. Saga also deserves all the praise it gets. I'll have to check out the others.

I'd also like to recommend Copperhead, Deadly Class, Descender, and Outcast.
Stray Bullets won't disappoint. It's tense, it's gripping, it's raw and realistic. There seems to be a pattern with people who check it out
Stray Bullets keeps getting better and better. Of all the comics I've read, only Wytches made me feel unsettled or invoked a haunting tone...until Stray Bullets #2 and #4. Very well-crafted tightly-wound tension, payoff, and imagery
I'll 2nd Deadly Class, Black Science, Black Hole & Lazarus. So many amazing comics right now so I'll just say that I've recently read through the whole of Stray Bullets and it's one of my favorite comics ever made. Just one of my favorite things every made, really. Everyone should read Stray Bullets.
I think I read and bought all of Stray bullets in one day just because the first issue was so good
The greatest Crime comic book of all time hands down is Stray Bullets. not saying everything else sucks or anything, but Stray bullets is what I compare everything else to

Garou

I keep staring at this trying to figure out what's going on with the gun. The blast coming out of the direction it's pointed in would have to be the most recent shot, yet it's also somehow the one that's traveled the furthest.

Meanwhile I’m just in awe that there are two pair of feet visible!

kess

I love how every artist's signature in 1993 was drawn on what looks like a piece of tattered parchment

Ross61

Invincible gets beat up, heals, then beats up the threat while fucking up something in his personal life.

There I saved you a hundred dollars in trade paperbacks. Buy Techjacket and Atomic Robo instead
It’s also better than most big two books.

Sunster

Are they, really? Honestly?

Saga and The Walking Dead are the face of Image now.

If you enjoy science fiction, horror, and crime thrillers, you're missing out. Some of the coolest and most interest genre stuff is happening in Image comics and other indie publishers

I don't even know where to start. there's so many of them

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't think "non-comic book reading people" know anything about Image at all, past or present. They know The Walking Dead, though :p

I don't even know where to start. there's so many of them
I bolded my favorites.

For crime:
- Stray Bullets
- Criminal
- Fatale (pulp lovecraftian horror/crime)
- Deadly Class
- Kill Or Be Killed
- Scalped (published by Vertigo)
- Richard Stark's Parker (published by IDW)

For sci-fi:
- Lazarus
- The Metabarons (published by Humanoids, created by Alejandro Jodorowsky)
- Black Science
- Saga
- Prophet
- Paper Girls
- We Can Never Go Home
- Low
- The Manhattan Projects
- Planetoid
- DMZ (published by Vertigo)
- Old City Blues (published by BOOM)

For horror
- Wytches
- Spread (sci-fi horror)
- Outcast
- Hellboy (action/adventure, published by Dark Horse)
- Rachel Rising (published by Abstract)

Veedot

I love modern Image!

I binged Invincible about 2 years ago up to issue 121 and remember fairly enjoying it. But Now I can barely even remember what happened a lot of the time.

Saga is amazing though and I love most of BKVs work.

I love Chew!!!!!! Its hilarious and can surprisingly have some sentimental moments. Its just a super fun premise.

The first two volumes of Rat Queens was great though I haven't read it since vol 3 came out and I heard it drops in quality. I know there was some issue with the artist being arrested for domestic violence. Oh now they're doing a soft reboot? ehh thats weird

Stuff thats just on my current reading list:
I hate Fairyland
Descender
Rumble
Revival
Cowboy Ninja Viking
Monstress

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think "non-comic book reading people" know anything about Image at all, past or present. They know The Walking Dead, though :p

I thought they'd know stuff like that weird captain america or the strange body shapes that are used as memes

Image are head and shoulders above any other comic publisher right now. Saga and LOW are my current favorites.

really hilarious when you compare their 90's output

maybe it really was Liefeld who was the cause, but even then I remember non Liefeld artists having similar style in their publication

Dead

well not really...yet
Would be a shame

Literally 99% of the comics I read are Image, they just consistently release amazing titles worth looking at. Recently fell in love with Shutter.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can’t believe how good Image books are now. It’s like if Vertigo was allowed to go nuts and keep cranking out more and more titles back in the day. Not that they all reach the same highs, but the effort to take so many chances with non-superhero books is completely appreciated.

Not

Banned
You really like Kirkman books, huh OP?

They resonated with me in early high school. Now I can't stand them.

Vic_Viper

Has anyone recomended the Black Monday Murders yet? If not I dont know what to say lol.

Written by Johnathan Hickman, Think the movies Se7en mixed with Wallstreet and you have the Black Monday Murders. Probably my favorite book out at the moment.

BlackMondayMurders-08.jpg

After that, Deadly Class, Low, East of West, and Seven to Eternity are awesome.

East of West, another Hickman book. Kinda like an Apocalyptic Wild West epic

East-West-3.jpg

Has anyone recomended the Black Monday Murders yet? If not I dont know what to say lol.

Written by Johnathan Hickman, Think the movies Se7en mixed with Wallstreet and you have the Black Monday Murders. Probably my favorite book out at the moment.

Love it. It's basically a Cthulhu mythos type of story with an economic twist. It's definitely not light reading with most issues being about 50 pages long.

Pixieking

Banned
Weird that there's no love for Wicked + Divine (Kieron Gillen writing), or The Wild Storm (Warren Ellis writing). Both are very good, and not your standard Image fare from the 90s.

Also, The Maxx was fantastic, and showed that they weren't just about superheros, even back then.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You really like Kirkman books, huh OP?

They resonated with me in early high school. Now I can't stand them.

To be fair I stopped Invincible halfway through. I finished Wolfman though. But Super Dinosaur is interesting because it's Kirkman doing something for kids.

I thought they'd know stuff like that weird captain america or the strange body shapes that are used as memes

really hilarious when you compare their 90's output

maybe it really was Liefeld who was the cause, but even then I remember non Liefeld artists having similar style in their publication

Liefeld and Larsen were the two guys who brought in most of the more off beat (and short lived) early Image creators and series. From what I remember those two were the ones who had the vision of Image becoming something like it is today, just a strong publisher of creator owned comics of many genres and styles.

Yeah they were and are superhero guys, so that's what they did, but they didn't see Image as just growing into another Marvel or DC. Heck Eric Stephenson, the Editorial director and one of the people chiefly responsible for Image being what they are, got his start working at and writing for Liefeld's Extreme Studios line of Image comics.

Metalmarc

Was a reader of 2000ad in the 90's for about 1.5-2yrs, it was easy to read as Dredd was always straight forward, not many crossovers, everything was cannon, no reboots, if you wanted to read old stories you could grab a Grahphic Novel and have the jist of it, without needing to buy others to line up to read. Its even easier to read Dredd these days as everything's collected in the Case Files collection and works chronologically and you can see Dredd age over time as as time passes in real time so does a year in Dredd. In1977, it was set in 2099, whilst stories published in 2017 are set in 2139.

I stopped because when I turned 15yrs old I thought I was too old for Comics (pushy parents) plus I discovered Music so all my money was being put towards CD's, something I could keep that wouldnt get thrown out (again my parents kept making a fuss, that I had stacks of comics and magazines and was tood I needed to bin them, so I did)

Later in my mid Twenties, I'd buy a random graphic Novel here and there usually related to a Movie (Jay & Silent Bob etc) and then in my Thirties I thought to hell I'll try to start reading some, lets try some Marvel

My problem was, Holy shit too many Multiverses/Takes on the characters, where do I start? Oh shit this criss crosses with this other thing how do I keep up?, Do I have acess to all these books somewhere, plus I have a Job now , not much time, then Marvel Unlimited came along and I tried it for a bit reading just ransom stuff from first issue available. Now I'm 35yrs old, by asking here on Gaf or elsewhere online I pick up something thats self contained or a little run that I can get into and thanks to the sale on amazon recently, picked up a ton of stuff, I Just got to make my way through it all now.

Tldr - So it had nothing to do with image Comics and just it was kind of felt I was to old for comics, or didnt know how or where to start, as for outside of Marvel/D.C/2000ad and Darkhorse I barely knew others existed, or I never took notice.

KonradLaw

Well, it's natural. Marvel and DC are know because of big shared universes, not because they are publishers. Image had that at one time, so it stuck. Nowadays Image has a lot of popular comics, but they're more well known as separate brands than as Image-published titles. Bassicaly like with novels. Everybody knows who John Grisham or Stephen King is, but if you would ask people about their publishers most would drawn blank,

In my experience, comic-book readers who only read the big two are the ones who trash Image the most. I have a few friends who are occasional comic-book readers and they always show more interest towards creator-owned Image titles than Marvel and DC stuff. I think Image has a very solid reputation these days, especially now that Vertigo is barely a factor.

Also, I think 90s Image (and 90s comics in general) gets way too much shit. Sure, there was a ton of garbage back then but there were plenty of gems as well. But people only seem to remember Youngblood for some reason.

oneils

I don't think non-comic book readers know what Image is.

Yeah. Pretty much.

I tried to read some comics a year or two ago and it seems like everything else. Lots of garbage to sift through to find the gems. I gave up.

I know that I will find lots of recommendations in here, but I will probably only like a fraction of them.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yeah. Pretty much.

I tried to read some comics a year or two ago and it seems like everything else. Lots of garbage to sift through to find the gems. I gave up.

I know that I will find lots of recommendations in here, but I will probably only like a fraction of them.

Most comics are still garbage. Rat Queens is pretty cool for putting a new spin on a fantasy series.

Patryn

Way back at the height of original Image era, I remember wandering into my local comic store and looking at the rack for something new to buy. I saw an issue of Alan Moore's 1963 (the Mystery Incorporated issue, as I recall). I picked it up, and was about to buy it when the guy behind the counter and another customer immediately started trying to convince me to put that down and instead buy Tribe #1 (anyone remember THAT one?).

They really gave me the hard sell too, talking about how it's the new hotness and would be worth all this money.

Sadly, I eventually gave in.

Long story short, Tribe sucked, I'm not even sure it made it to issue 3 before it died in the great Image purge. 1963 was amazing, and I'm still sad that the final issue (where the 1963 heroes were supposed to meet the modern Image heroes) was never made. I pretty much regretted my decision immediately.

I wasn't that disappointed when that comic shop went out of business like 6 months later.

MarionCB

As a non-comic reading person, I have no idea what you're talking about. From context, Image is a publisher? I did have the general vague impression that comics haven't been that great in terms of quality but then also knowing I didn't know about them enough to make any judgement.

I did just start reading comics for the first time though, thanks to Gwenpool (thanks to Gaf). Which I am enjoying a great deal. Rat Queens will be next.

Yeah. Pretty much.

That seems like an odd conclusion. I always thought comics was just superhero shit, and then I learned otherwise. Once I started researching different series and best of lists and whatnot, there was like a month of nothing but "whoa, that sounds fascinating. I got to check that out."

If you enjoy genre fiction, especially science fiction, you will like comics.

well originally Image comics was started by 5 comic book artists. So yeah they looked great at first. Except for Rob Liefeld of course

but then they just got over the top bad with sooo much spandex.

issue-2.jpg

104796-18355-107821-2-backlash.jpg

639649.jpg

I was a huge LIefeld fan when i was younger and basically bought every Image comic book from their fi1st 3-4 years. Are any of these worth any money nowadays?

oneils

That seems like an odd conclusion. I always thought comics was just superhero shit, and then I learned otherwise. Once I started researching different series and best of lists and whatnot, there was like a month of nothing but "whoa, that sounds fascinating. I got to check that out."

If you enjoy genre fiction, especially science fiction, you will like comics.

Publishers probably need to put out a few more free books for people to take the plunge. I bought a few that came highly recommended, and did not like them.

Genre fiction is a little easier to get into as a series is usually only three to five books at about 5 to 10 bucks a piece or so. Comics will have hundreds in a series and can cost six bucks each (in Canada anyway). The collected trades will be 20 to 30 dollars per volume in black and white or something.

The barrier to entry is way too high.

Publishers probably need to put out a few more free books for people to take the plunge. I bought a few that came highly recommended, and did not like them.

Genre fiction is a little easier to get into as a series is usually only three to five books at about 5 to 10 bucks a piece or so. Comics will have hundreds in a series and can cost six bucks each (in Canada anyway). The collected trades will be 20 to 30 dollars per volume in black and white or something.

The barrier to entry is way too high.
Digital comics have sales and discounts extremely often, and Comixology has a relatively cheap subscription service

The barrier to entry is very low digital-wise

Pixieking

Banned
Digital comics have sales and discounts extremely often, and Comixology has a relatively cheap subscription service

The barrier to entry is very low digital-wise

Yeah, one of my favourite series just had a sale on. The entirety of Strangers in Paradise - about 100 issues in 17 trades, I think it is - for $70, give or take. If you want to dip one or two issues on any series, digital isn't much, and getting a complete run is the cost of a AAA console game.

Top Bottom