• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Teknoman

No fast travel does seem pretty awesome, especially since im always more in for exploration and adventure in MMOs than anything. What about exploring as a party?

This is for the best, a tiered release is better than a huge rush.

I usually wouldn't agree, but seeing how big of a disaster the $100 tier launch is, with channels being on wrong servers and error messages, along with preorder item redemption failing, their servers are getting hit hard. Try cramming 1000 people in a gym meant for 100 people, all at the same time, instead of throughout the day. That's basically their servers right now

zugzug

I have 40k silver to put towards the 100 silver needed to start the 15 clan start. First name Sayloo family name Moss in game playing a witch level 15 only but when I logged off 7 hours ago I was the number 3 gatherer. Just started my second worker gathering potatoes. Heh my first random six plants all matured 3 hours ago so I'll see if they aren't dead in an hour when I log in for tonight.

I usually wouldn't agree, but seeing how big of a disaster the $100 tier launch is, with channels being on wrong servers and error messages, along with preorder item redemption failing, their servers are getting hit hard. Try cramming 1000 people in a gym meant for 100 people, all at the same time, instead of throughout the day. That's basically their servers right now

I think disaster may be a tad hyperbolic. I put in 15 hours today with no issues. Yes, they had the early problem with the characters going to the wrong server on a single server. That was quickly corrected and they're compensating people for that. Yes I didn't receive my preorder items yet, but that isn't the end of the world. As far as playability, it's been fine in my experience. Those other things are what I'd call hiccups, having been through much worse with other MMOs at launch, nowhere near disastrous.

I think disaster may be a tad hyperbolic. I put in 15 hours today with no issues. Yes, they had the early problem with the characters going to the wrong server on a single server. That was quickly corrected and they're compensating people for that. Yes I didn't receive my preorder items yet, but that isn't the end of the world. As far as playability, it's been fine in my experience. Those other things are what I'd call hiccups, having been through much worse with other MMOs at launch, nowhere near disastrous.

Hmm, i've heard much worse. Maybe it's official forums being dramatic

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are there pure classes in the game or is it more hybrid, "build your own" type stuff most games do these days?

Veldin

I feel like the cash shop is going to continue to be a major sticking point for the game. I personally don't think Daum will budge very much on the pricing.

I'm just one of the Traveler pack plebs so it's gonna be a few days before I can get into this, but I'm looking forward to getting into a more sandbox-style MMO again.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've been interested in this game for years. If there's one video out there that would sell me on it, what would it be?

EQ is still my favorite MMO experience, I might have to try this if it's really a decent sandbox. I played WoW for almost 5 more years than I played EQ yet remember so much less of it :p

zugzug

Holy WoW! one carrot seed planted yielded 70 carrots! another 12 minutes till second carrot seed is ready for harvest! two hours for the pepper plant.

I'm trying to get an understanding of this game as someone who really only has a past with traditional MMO's. What keeps me interested until level cap and what goals do I have to work to after? Is it really heavily PVP focused "end game"?

GW2 was the only non "theme park" type MMO I've played and I really didn't enjoy it because I didn't feel I was working towards anything. Is it safe to say I'll be dissapointed by this?

I love games like Rust, DayZ as far as sandbox type games. I've just never played a sandbox MMO.

zugzug

I'm trying to get an understanding of this game as someone who really only has a past with traditional MMO's. What keeps me interested until level cap and what goals do I have to work to after? Is it really heavily PVP focused "end game"?

GW2 was the only non "theme park" type MMO I've played and I really didn't enjoy it because I didn't feel I was working towards anything. Is it safe to say I'll be dissapointed by this?

I love games like Rust, DayZ as far as sandbox type games. I've just never played a sandbox MMO.

I think something you should stop thinking with is your statement "What keeps me interested until level cap" Trading and crafting, farming are very different and not as dependant upon level. Its not like you hit level 30 and thus craft a level 30 items.

You can just level to level 50 and then backtrack or you can get lost upon the way at level 15 and just starting crafting, or become a gatherer, or farmer.

I'm going to hardcore grind to 50 then backtrack when I can finally play (only preordered the cheapest option). Is there an updated power leveling guide?

anothertech

So this has been out in Korea for a while ya? Is there a list of the larger beasts/world bosses in the game? How many are out there?

I think something you should stop thinking with is your statement "What keeps me interested until level cap" Trading and crafting, farming are very different and not as dependant upon level. Its not like you hit level 30 and thus craft a level 30 items.

You can just level to level 50 and then backtrack or you can get lost upon the way at level 15 and just starting crafting, or become a gatherer, or farmer.

Ok. But these professions what purpose do they serve in the long run? I guess I'm just having trouble fathoming spending my time farming or gathering if it doesn't lead to a end goal. Like do I become the best and then lead a merchants guild and then I'm playing logistics simulator. Why would I become a master crafter, what purpose does it fill in the grand scheme of things game wise?

Hellers

How odd. I brought my laptop into work today so I could do some afk fishing but the client seems locked to NA rather than EU and it's not doing anything when I change it.

*Edit* Weird launcher bug. I sorted it. If there's not a resolution set in the launcher options you can't change any of the other options

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Well done OT! would you mind adding a link to the character creator thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172715
^_^

also, I'll make a Guild on EU Jordine with friends, if anyone wants to join us.

Is there a benchmark or something? Also not to be that anime nerdy guy, but damn does this sound like what i'd want to play after watching say....Hack or Sword Art. Seems like it would be a great companion to FFXIV.

no benchmark but a free char-creator (see link)

but I heard some people are playing it on a 5 year old laptop...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ok. But these professions what purpose do they serve in the long run? I guess I'm just having trouble fathoming spending my time farming or gathering if it doesn't lead to a end goal. Like do I become the best and then lead a merchants guild and then I'm playing logistics simulator. Why would I become a master crafter, what purpose does it fill in the grand scheme of things game wise?

The merchant guild/ simulator thing can definitely happen. You turn your late game PvE from re running raids for gear into a game about maximizing profits and controlling markets. Or, just supplying the people with goods.

zugzug

there is an in game record of what level you are for nine different skills the top 30 for each skill is shown and if your below 30 your given like a bar grade to see how far away from being top tier you are. If your top4 in a particular skill you get a symbol above your name that anyone in game can see. Like I was on a trade run riding my donkey and I saw the wealthiest person in game afk standing around in western guard camp which is the second town/quest hub you come into.

Like for me I'm been going stupid crazy on gathering, I was top 3 on server at one point. logged off for 8 ish hours went down to 19th. The tracking updates the symbols like every 15-20minutes.

I have no clue how far it goes but it starts beginner level with ranges from 1 to 10, then you become apprentice level 1 and continue to work upwards. not sure how many grades after that but you see what I mean?

feeling the urge to pick this up, but lack of money, time and a graphics card are doing wonders for my will.

I'll probably pick this up at the end of the semester after my GPU has returned.

This is a four year old Dell XPS. i7, 8 gig of ram and a nvidia 540m. I run everything on low and it's not great to be honest. Decent enough for mucking around though

Combat at level 20 last night on my tamer was so satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvq_7rMAF-4

Hmm, well that should be okay then, my current laptop is a i7 4700MQ, 16GB of ram and a 765M. At the very least it'll be playable enough until I get around to buying a new desktop, but I'm waiting for Pascal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Holy shit I may have put too much in my first traders pack. Walking SUPER slow to make like 2k lol

satire77

Damn, forgot completely about this game.

I'd really love to play it, but i have too many games in my backlog and not a lot of time to play games nowadays.

How is the game for someone who loves going on his own, exploring the world, enjoying combat and doing some crafting?

Jayhawk

Servers going down for a few hours for maintenance. I am getting distracted by every quest, but maintenance means it is time to go to sleep.

Matty8787

Awww Yis!

Can't wait to play, wednesday for me!

I am still undecided between the EU or US server as I am from the UK! I do want to be part of an active guild though and US seems the best bet for socializing.

I am also very overwhelmed just reading about the game but excited to dive in.

Thinking I will have 3 types of characters one for pve/pvp one for gathering/fishing and one for cooking/selling.

Any tips for somebody who has not played the CBT's?

Tankshell

Any game ready Nvidia drivers for this yet, or about to drop? (although thinking about it, maybe they dropped when it launched last year in K)

Ashodin

Damn, forgot completely about this game.

I'd really love to play it, but i have too many games in my backlog and not a lot of time to play games nowadays.

How is the game for someone who loves going on his own, exploring the world, enjoying combat and doing some crafting?

Absolutely right up your alley.

Hellers

I made a beserker this morning. He's currently afk fishing on my laptop

n6BNlVg.png

Makikou

This game is legit weird. I can't get any kind of handle on it as in what should / CAN i do and what is feasible and what is not.

Guess i'm just not the correct crowd for the game :p

Ashodin

This game is legit weird. I can't get any kind of handle on it as in what should / CAN i do and what is feasible and what is not.

It's a game for wandering, not a focused approach. So if you get lost, that's the point.

Matty8787

Well my guess is that been a sandbox game, you CAN and SHOULD do whatever you please.

All is feasible and any play style is rewarded.

That is my take on things.

Hellers

Now time to wait for this maintenance to end. Time to go to bed I guess.

Is that NA maintenance? Because I'm still logged in EUside

*Edit* I seem to be having trouble afk fishing. I can see from my chat log that I'm catching lots of stuff. But non of it after the first fish is going into my inventory. Is there something I'm missing?

*Edit2* The setting to throw away all junk items is anything below green quality.

Oldsql

Locking classes behind gender and indirectly age feels quite limited. Is this also still the case in the korean version?

I`d really like to be able to play a male hunter or tamer and failed to create a somewhat young mage as well.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Locking classes behind gender and indirectly age feels quite limited. Is this also still the case in the korean version?

I`d really like to be able to play a male hunter or tamer and failed to create a somewhat young mage as well.

yes it is

I was so hyped for Tuesday, then I realised today was the 29th T_T. I guess Wednesday isn't that far away...

I can't wait to get stuck in. Once I'd played enough beta to decided to buy the game, I made myself hold of playing much more so everything felt fresh on the first play through.

The two classes I wish I'd tried out were the Tamer and the Berserker, Tamer especially as I heard its a good AOE class thats strong while playing solo.

Top Bottom