• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ViciousDS
(08-07-2017, 11:45 AM)
7-9 hours

$30

For a game that looks as good as this!!!!

Ok, I'll buy
BeeDog
(08-07-2017, 11:46 AM)
I really hope this game will turn out well, but the gameplay videos and Ninja Theory's pedigree have me worried. I wouldn't trust them too much handling a heavy subject matter like mental illnesses in a good way.
Soulblighter31
(08-07-2017, 11:57 AM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

7-9 hours

$30

Ok, I'll buy

Keep in mind at first they said on twitter 6 to 8 hours, which actually means 6 hours, but in actual fact you'll probably finish in 4 if you dont stretch it artificially and look at evey wall and texture
EdwardTivrusky
(08-07-2017, 12:07 PM)

Originally Posted by BeeDog

I really hope this game will turn out well, but the gameplay videos and Ninja Theory's pedigree have me worried. I wouldn't trust them too much handling a heavy subject matter like mental illnesses in a good way.

Yeah, i've a couple of ideas as to how this will all string together but they all boil down to a couple of tropes and obvious bait/switch twists which i hope they avoid and have been more creative than i am. I'm definitely interested in reports on the gameplay because as long as it's mechanically sound and performance isn't choppy i'll be buying it and adding it to my backlog to play once i've cleared some games i'm almost done with. It looks like a crazy amount of work has bveen put into this game and as long as it's not a train-wreck then i'll be buying it soon.
Harlequin
(08-07-2017, 12:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Soulblighter31

Keep in mind at first they said on twitter 6 to 8 hours, which actually means 6 hours, but in actual fact you'll probably finish in 4 if you dont stretch it artificially and look at evey wall and texture

They said that they were still optimising things at that point so it's quite plausible that the game's estimated length would've changed afterwards. They could've tweaked stuff like enemy health/damage, for example, which would've had an effect on play time.
shiftplusone
(08-07-2017, 12:25 PM)
Any ideas what the pro support is on this one?

Edit: NVM, I see it now
MoogleMan
(08-07-2017, 12:28 PM)
Ultrawide support! <3
AudioEppa
(08-07-2017, 12:31 PM)
I just came looking for this thread to see if there was any talk of how long this game is, because I'm streaming it tonight. Thank god it's not long lol

Btw sick OT!
Spyware
(08-07-2017, 12:31 PM)
Awesome OT (on phone with dark theme at least :D)

Pre-ordered this before going to bed last night after having rediscovered the game some week ago. Had completely forgotten about it but then I stumbled upon a thread or something and fell in love. Was gonna wait for some impressions but I realised I wanted to experience this totally blind.
Shock32
(08-07-2017, 12:33 PM)
The preorder theme is pretty neat. It whispers to you.
Reedirect
(08-07-2017, 12:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

It's a shame they didn't quite capture the greatness of that original image (imo).

I think the new Senua is the best character design they've ever done. Looks like a human being and not a fantasy version of a celtic warrior.
Turkoop
(08-07-2017, 12:36 PM)
Wow, one of the best OT's kudos dude!

Very excited, just a few more hours.
Shredderi
(08-07-2017, 12:40 PM)
Best OT I've seen in as long as I can remember. I'm rooting for this game to be good!
MrS
(08-07-2017, 12:46 PM)
Great OT, Wozman. Can't believe Hellblade is almost here. So hyped to finally play it.
MissChief
(08-07-2017, 01:01 PM)
I loved DmC, and wanted to buy this game day one, but I'm waiting for reviews first, the gameplay seems so bland :/
Sir Doom
(08-07-2017, 01:06 PM)
Well I enjoyed Inside even beating it on one sitting

As long as this game has good story 4-6 hours should be fine
Q8D3vil
(08-07-2017, 01:09 PM)
I dont like ninja theory but i wont mind buying this if its any good.
Will wait for some impressions.
Alastor3
(08-07-2017, 01:14 PM)
Where can I find the 25min Senua's psychosis featurette? I thought it would be release before the game, or maybe it's include in the game?
Ricky_R
(08-07-2017, 01:16 PM)
When are reviews coming out for this?
jsnepo
(08-07-2017, 01:17 PM)
Is combat the main focus of the game? I'm worried that the 7 to 9 hours will just be like a walking simulator mostly.
Alastor3
(08-07-2017, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by BeeDog

have you seen the developper commentary instead of the gameplay trailer?

I trust them.

I feel like people out there will focus WAY TOO HARD on the combat gameplay.

It is NOT a combat game, sure it has some but it's more about the experience living in a psychosis.
Maffis
(08-07-2017, 01:26 PM)
I'm reading that this game has a perma-death system. Is that true? Lots of people on the steam forums has mentioned it.
FaintDeftone
(08-07-2017, 01:32 PM)
Waiting for the reviews first. The game looks like it could go either way in terms of quality. Fingers crossed!
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(08-07-2017, 01:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Maffis

I'm reading that this game has a perma-death system. Is that true? Lots of people on the steam forums has mentioned it.

Seems so, but it's more of a light permadeath system. I'd imagine it won't get in the way unless you're punishing yourself difficulty-wise.
NeoRaider
(08-07-2017, 01:35 PM)

Originally Posted by jsnepo

Is combat the main focus of the game?

No, it's not.
El-Suave
(08-07-2017, 01:44 PM)
I'm debating waiting for the inevitable physical release since I don't have time for it right now and there is no discount on PSN either. But then again I like the proposition and the guts of the developers so I might support it in its launch phase after all. I guess waiting for reviews can't hurt while I'm contemplating.
yagal
(08-07-2017, 01:45 PM)
OP of the year!

I will grab it later in the year, my backlog is big, too many good game on the PS4. But I waiting for the review, If it score 10/10 everywhere or if they nailed the schizophrenia aspect of the game ....
MrS
(08-07-2017, 01:49 PM)

Originally Posted by JaseC

Seems so, but it's more of a light permadeath system. I'd imagine it won't get in the way unless you're punishing yourself difficulty-wise.

I predict save scumming, and lots of it.
Mechanized
(08-07-2017, 01:49 PM)
Interested but I'll have to wait for reviews. It does look very promising.
Jakoo
(08-07-2017, 01:55 PM)
Just came into say this is the first time an OT made me interested in a game where I previously had no interest whatsoever. Well done.
Vincent Grayson
(08-07-2017, 01:59 PM)

That sounds awful, and probably just unsold the game for me.

Nothing about this game strikes me as appropriate for that kind of system. It feels like they've got a story to tell, and creating a way for you to potentially be stuck replaying a huge chunk of it in order to finish is just boneheaded.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(08-07-2017, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by The Dear Leader

Great OT but that text on that backgrounds got me fucked up.

Yeah, I appreciate the effort but it's super hard to read.
Synless
(08-07-2017, 02:03 PM)
When are reviews? Was it mentioned in the OP?
GavinUK86
(08-07-2017, 02:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Maffis

I really don't see this having permadeath.

I've been following production, via the dev diaries, and not once has anyone mentioned that. It would go against what they're making. It's supposed to be focused on stoytelling and mental illness, so for it to erase you're progress after a couple deaths seems silly.

Maybe it's lost in translation from that article?

I think it just has a regular saving/checkpointing system.
Xer0
(08-07-2017, 02:04 PM)
Unless it's bad, I can't believe they didn't have reviews out earlier for this. Even if they're in the 80's, that'd be enough for me to pull the trigger, but as it is now, I'm still waiting.
JaseC
(08-07-2017, 02:06 PM)

Originally Posted by GavinUK86

Maybe it's lost in translation from that article?

Possibly. We'll know soon enough.
exmachina64
(08-07-2017, 02:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Xer0

Unless it's bad, I can't believe they didn't have reviews out earlier for this. Even if they're in the 80's, that'd be enough for me to pull the trigger, but as it is now, I'm still waiting.

Why is that a bad thing? As far as I know, there aren't any pre-order discounts.
Duxxy3
(08-07-2017, 02:11 PM)

Even in the 70's I'm buying it. I mean how often do we get binaural audio in a video game?
nelsonroyale
(08-07-2017, 02:11 PM)
Superb OT. Really hope this one turns out good. I enjoyed HS and am always interested in what NT have to show.
NightShift
(08-07-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Vincent Grayson

That sounds awful, and probably just unsold the game for me.

Nothing about this game strikes me as appropriate for that kind of system. It feels like they've got a story to tell, and creating a way for you to potentially be stuck replaying a huge chunk of it in order to finish is just boneheaded.

Dark Souls' story is enhanced by its punishing difficulty where you're stuck replaying parts as a punishment. I don't know how the "lives" system is going to work in Hellblade but I can easily see it fitting in considering its themes. Don't dismiss it so quickly, wait for reviews. If there's one group of people who will complain the most about wasted time, it's them.
Xer0
(08-07-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by exmachina64

Why is that a bad thing? As far as I know, there aren't any pre-order discounts.

I really want to support the business model here, but, not at the cost of a bad game.
exmachina64
(08-07-2017, 02:19 PM)

I really want to support the business model here, but, not at the cost of a bad game.

IIRC, all of the platforms pay out on a monthly basis. There's no financial difference to the studio if you buy on release day or later within that window.
Magnetic_North
(08-07-2017, 02:28 PM)
Gonna be grabbing this asap

my mate works for them he's been helping out for awhile now and i'll gladly buy it to support them

i ate massive crow with DmC (thought it was going to be shit ended up actually enjoying it alot)
Duchess O'Death
(08-07-2017, 02:56 PM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

7-9 hours

$30

Ok, I'll buy

7-9 hours is at least 12-15 for me. I like slow walking and looking at the environment.

$30 is a good price!
DomsPlaying
(08-07-2017, 02:58 PM)
Really digging this OT. Props!

Day one, playing first thing in the morning tomorrow before work and even more after work :-D
Tankard
(08-07-2017, 03:02 PM)
Followed the development since day 1, last gameplay trailer got me a little worried about the combat, but still day 1 on this one.

Please be good.
JaseC
(08-07-2017, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by exmachina64

IIRC, all of the platforms pay out on a monthly basis. There's no financial difference to the studio if you buy on release day or later within that window.

Valve and I believe Microsoft* pay out monthly, albeit in the middle of the following month (e.g. all transactions for July are paid out mid-August), which is where the two-week refund window comes from -- any money refunded just comes out of what's held in escrow^. Sony, on the other hand, pays out quarterly.

* I couldn't find info on whether the schedule is different for those who publish games via ID@Xbox. It's possible they're paid quarterly, too, as XBLIG devs were.
^ Slightly less true on Steam as the window doesn't begin closing on pre-orders until release. E.g. You could pre-order AssCreed Origins today and refund it on November 10th.
Last edited by JaseC; 08-07-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Neolombax
(08-07-2017, 03:26 PM)
Amazing job on the OT!

Still not quite sure on the game...the theme kinda bothers me a bit.
WhoaIsThatMars
(08-07-2017, 03:35 PM)
I appreciate the effort in the OT, but it looks as bad as the game
Zeouterlimits
(08-07-2017, 03:40 PM)
OT is a bit hard for me to read... And very image based.

Curious how the game will turn out.